PDA

View Full Version : Is this a cookie problem? Should be easy for you gurus.

Turfday
04-24-2009, 12:56 AM
I have a new computer I'm very happy with. In the occasions that I have needed to re-boot it, my computer deletes my usernames and passwords from the sites that I frequent and I have to enter them again.

What steps do I need to take to avoid this from happening as there are many sites that I frequent that require a username and password, including this one ?

Red Knave
04-24-2009, 09:14 AM
It sounds like your browser is saving cookies if you don't have to keep entering names/passwords except when you reboot. There could be some utility that's clearing them when you startup. Check for anti-virus programs or other system type programs that start automatically to see if one of them has this 'feature' turned on.
You might also want to see if the browser is set to only save history for a short time.

JustRalph
04-24-2009, 04:23 PM
Bob, would help if we knew what browser?

If it is Explorer............read below.......you can also search on newer versions of explorer from the 2nd link

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283185

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/

dutchboy
04-24-2009, 07:20 PM
I have the latest version of Firefox and if I go in to Tools, then "clear private data" a box appears with option to check or uncheck 6 items. Two of them are cookies and saved passwords. Since it only clears the stuff when you reboot I don't think it would be the browser. You might want to check internet options in your pc's control panel or it could be your anti virus/firewall security is set to clear everything when you reboot.

I guess it may not be a bad idea to have everything cleared on reboot in case your pc was stolen or someone decided to snoop.

Turfday
04-24-2009, 08:18 PM
I slid my IE privacy to low. If need be, I'll set it a notch lower. I hope that does the trick.

robert99
04-25-2009, 04:55 PM
Download Roboform to remember all your paswords and log-ins securely.