PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 places to live and work (Red States on top)

ElKabong
04-23-2009, 09:49 PM
http://finance.yahoo.com/real-estate/article/106955/Tulsa-on-Top

Some of the best places in the country to call home this year are areas where the local economy is stable and the housing market hasn't been hit with huge home price declines, according to RelocateAmerica.com's annual list of the top 100 places to live. Topping the list: Tulsa, Okla.

"The economy there has been very stable," said Steve Nickerson, president and CEO of TrueV New Media Group, which operates the RelocateAmerica.com Web site. The strength of the energy industry in the area was part of why Tulsa came out on top, he said.

Cities have to be nominated to be eligible for the list; the Web site's editorial team then selects the top 100 places, based on interviews with local leaders and residents, as well as environmental, education, crime, employment and housing data for the past year.

Making the top of the list this year were areas that are stabilized or poised for a quicker comeback than other towns, Nickerson said. And many of these towns never experienced the kind of housing boom seen in other parts of the country.

Below are the top 10 places to live in 2009, according to RelocateAmerica.com:

1. Tulsa: The energy jobs in Tulsa have kept the area relatively stable during the economic downturn, according to its profile on RelocateAmerica.com. The unemployment rate was 5.6% in January, more than three points below the national average. The median price of an existing single-family home in Tulsa was $136,900 in 2008, according to the National Association of Realtors.

2. Dallas/Ft. Worth: Dallas has a concentration of high-tech companies, corporate headquarters and wholesale trade markets. Ft. Worth has had more than 900 major business expansions or relocations there over the past decade, according to the site. The median price of an existing single-family home in the area was $145,800 in 2008, according to NAR.

3. Pittsburgh: The city's biggest employers are in the education and medical fields; a diversified economy and sustainable financial corporations have also contributed to keeping Pittsburgh somewhat "recession proof." The median price of an existing single-family home in Pittsburgh was $118,400 in 2008, according to NAR.

4. Raleigh/Durham, N.C.: The area's Research Triangle Park employs thousands of area residents. Raleigh is also a center for commercial shipping, and a new 500,000-square-foot convention center opened in town last year, according to RelocateAmerica.com. Durham's economy is driven by education and medicine, and 2,000 new jobs were created there last year. The median price of an existing single-family home there was $223,400 in 2008, according to NAR.

5. Huntsville, Ala.: Huntsville is home to the NASA Marshall Space Flight Center, and the U.S. Army's Redstone Arsenal. One-fifth of workers are employed in manufacturing, including technology-based precision manufacturing. The median home price in March was $159,900, said Oscar Gonzales, spokesman for the Huntsville Area Association of Realtors. Housing inventory there is actually shrinking in the area, as is days a property stays on the market, he said.

6. Houston: Houston is known as the Energy Capital of the World. Its oil and gas exploration and production was still adding jobs "at a prodigious rate" in early 2009, according to the site. The city added 87,000 jobs in 2007 and 17,800 in 2008. The median price of an existing single-family home in Houston was $151,600 in 2008, according to NAR.

7. Albuquerque, N.M.: The growing presence of the film industry has brought more jobs to Albuquerque over the last four years, providing high-paying positions for local crews. Within the past five years, $400 million has been spent in the local economy by the film industry. The median price of an existing single-family home in Albuquerque was $192,600 in 2008, according to NAR.

8. Lexington, Ky.: Lexington is a regional center for health care, which includes the University of Kentucky Medical Center. Other major employers include Toyota Motor Manufacturing and Lexmark International. The median price of an existing single-family home was $144,300 in 2008, according to NAR.

9. Little Rock, Ark.: The city has a growing wind energy industry, which has helped create jobs in the area. The median price of an existing single-family home in Little Rock was $129,800 in 2008, according to NAR.

10. Oklahoma City: Major employers in Oklahoma City include Tinker Air Force Base, the U.S. Postal Service, the University of Oklahoma and the FAA Mike Monroney Aeronautical Center. Last year Forbes magazine named it the most recession-proof economy in the country. The median price of an existing single-family home was $128,100 in 2008, according to NAR.

so.cal.fan
04-23-2009, 10:41 PM
El Kabong!
If you had a better racetrack than Lone Star, I would move to Texas.

chickenhead
04-23-2009, 10:44 PM
I like lists like this...but looking through the top 100, they have some very different criteria than I do.

Not to be a homer, but I notice the only Northern CA city on the top 100 list is Vacaville. Not to diss Vacaville, but there are twenty Northern CA cities I'd live in before Vacaville.

Rookies
04-23-2009, 11:08 PM
I'm ready to retire, so I could move anywhere in North America. But, I agree with Chicken Head. These lists don't necessarily include factors I'm interested in. And, outside of perhaps Albuquerque, I wouldn't have the slightest interest in any of these mentioned, particularily Houston & Big D.

MONEY
04-24-2009, 01:15 AM
It is very hard to find work in Dallas or Houston unless you can speak spanish though you don't have to know how to speak english.
I live in Houston & I travel to Dallas many times. If you like traffic jams and drive by shootings these are the places that you would love to live in.
Pittsburg Sucks.
I've never been to any of the other places on the list.

Crime Stats:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_cities_by_crime_rate

money

BlueShoe
04-24-2009, 11:15 AM
Lists like this are fun to browse through,but of the top ten,you could not pay me enough to live in any of them.Looking at the top 100,only 4 or 5 of them would merit consideration,the rest are immediate toss outs.My choices are all in the West,none east of the Rockies.

Rookies
04-24-2009, 12:03 PM
I just looked through a CNN Top 100 places to live. Didn't even see 5 places I knew, let alone would want to live in. I appreciate the research that went into them, but I could name 10 places that haven't been named on either of these lists.

In no particular order:

Bar Harbor, Me
San Luis Obispo, Ca
Virginia Beach, Va
Sanibel, Fla
Fort Myers Beach, Fla
Monterey, Ca
San Fran, Ca
Sedona, Ar
Flagstaff, Ar
Saratoga Springs, NY

BlueShoe
04-24-2009, 01:51 PM
San Francisco?If someone bought me a million dollar home in SF I would still refuse to live there.90% of the residents fall into one or more of the following catagories.Many would fit in three or more,and who knows,maybe all six.
1.Members of the Communist Pary.
2.Gays.
3.Criminals.
4.Drug addicts.
5.Homeless persons.
6.Illegal immigrants.
For the one SF resident in ten that is excluded from the above list,life must be quite difficult.

chickenhead
04-24-2009, 02:10 PM
a million dollar home in SF isn't very nice....

DJofSD
04-24-2009, 02:16 PM
San Francisco?If someone bought me a million dollar home in SF I would still refuse to live there.90% of the residents fall into one or more of the following catagories.Many would fit in three or more,and who knows,maybe all six.
1.Members of the Communist Pary.
2.Gays.
3.Criminals.
4.Drug addicts.
5.Homeless persons.
6.Illegal immigrants.
For the one SF resident in ten that is excluded from the above list,life must be quite difficult.Don't worry, BlueShoe. When the mayor becomes governor, those issues will become the norm, statewide.

BlueShoe
04-24-2009, 02:43 PM
Lets see now,we get "San Francisco Values" from Nancy Pelosi and a bunch of other Left Wing Loon Congressnuts from the Bay Area,so now we get Gavin at the state level?Maybe not.Mr. Newsom has much opposition;he is not liked by moderate Democrats,and is criticised for his conduct,both personal and professional,in running SF.Two other challengers in the primary loom at this point;LA mayor Antonio "Viva La Raza" Villaraigoso,and former governor and current attorney general Jerry "Governor Moonbeam" Brown.The smart money is on Brown,and he is expected to win the Democratic nomination handily.

ElKabong
04-28-2009, 07:34 PM
It is very hard to find work in Dallas or Houston unless you can speak spanish though you don't have to know how to speak english.
I live in Houston & I travel to Dallas many times. If you like traffic jams and drive by shootings these are the places that you would love to live in.
Pittsburg Sucks.
I've never been to any of the other places on the list.

Crime Stats:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_cities_by_crime_rate

money

Funny, none of my friends have problems finding work, none can speak spanish. Not a problem.

Also, I've lived at my home for 20+ yrs, never a burgulary or disturbance of any kind. I think you prowl the wrong places while in Dallas (area) and hang with the wrong group.