PDA

View Full Version : Question for serious NYRA players

Imriledup
04-23-2009, 05:56 PM
Which NYRA track do you find 'easiest'?

Do you guys look forward to Saratoga (from a betting perspective) or is the Spa too hard and you feel you have a better shot at Aqu or Bel?

These 'boutique' meets are usually harder than the normal everyday stuff because of the amount of shippers that come in.

MickJ26
04-23-2009, 06:10 PM

Do you guys look forward to Saratoga (from a betting perspective) or is the Spa too hard and you feel you have a better shot at Aqu or Bel?

These 'boutique' meets are usually harder than the normal everyday stuff because of the amount of shippers that come in.

Belmont, Belmont, Belmont.
I'm a New Yorker and NYRA is my first priority.
Saratoga and the Aqueduct inner are opposite ends of the spectrum and both quite impossible as far as multi-race exotics.
Saratoga has the Kentucky shippers, Maryland shippers, the Frankels, the Bafferts, the Hartys.
Aqueduct Inner as the famous N1X allowances where the whole field is 1 for 20.
Belmont is right in the middle, challenging without being impossible.

BELMONT 6-6-09
04-23-2009, 06:56 PM
Sticking with the important theme of realistic value I believe that Saratoga is tops as the field sizes and wagering pools are huge and the public gets confused more often then Belmont and Aqueduct.

As a NYRA regular Belmont park is where I have my best edges...except the last two weeks or so when racing at the big oval yields some 'strange' results not seen at the other two meetings.So I generally use caution during the last week or so before the move upstate and it has definately paid off.

fmolf
04-23-2009, 07:00 PM

i agree that saratoga is difficult because so many outfits gear up for a summer in the adirondacks...i have found aqueduct inner to be very profitable paly the speed speed and then more speed will usually win on a consistent basis...a lot of short prices though...i grew up in the shadow of belmont and find that to be the easiest.. i like horses for courses on big sandy ... a lot of horses do not like the track....i usually look for a modicum of success in a prime wager...good luck.......can't wait till belmont starts next week! i also agree with zappi their are a lot of vacationers just at saratoga for the day playing birthdays addresses an anniversary so yes their are overlays to be had...most races have many contenders though

silverbull271
04-23-2009, 11:11 PM
Born, and raised in Brooklyn.....
Been playing horses for 30 years,,,,,

BIG A INNER DIRT!

EASY $$$$$$$$$$$$

Dahoss9698
04-23-2009, 11:20 PM
Nothing is better in terms of opportunities for bettors than Saratoga in my opinion. Full fields, great cards and a lot of tourist money in the pools. Is it easy? No, but hard work, good handicapping and ticket structure is rewarded.

The inner used to be downtime for me, because it was like a merry go round. I do think they have made strides to lessen that effect and it's become my second favorite meet after Saratoga. Belmont is my kryptonite.

ENT222
04-24-2009, 04:58 AM
Big A all day, especially the inner. The prices are a lot easier to come by, just look at the first 10 weeks of this year on the early pick 4's especially on Friday's. There were priced horses that were completely ignored although there is reason to play them. Yes this happens every where occasionally but it was on consistent basis. Although I do enjoy 'Toga and the prices but from a handicapping stand point Aqueduct is where its at. The prices should be there tomorrow at Aqueduct.

1/9/2009 12:17 PM 3C0768EF72FC Aqueduct 2 $1.00 P3 1,3,4,8/6/4,8 IVR WAGER $8.00 $1,384.00

2/6/2009 12:36 PM 7C099CC17318 Aqueduct 2 $1.00 P4 1,2/1,3,4/7,8/1,6 IVR WAGER $24.00 $2,154.50

2/13/2009 12:20 PM 9C085023731F Aqueduct 2 $1.00 P4 1,2/3,4/1,3,7/4,5,7,8 IVR WAGER $48.00 $687.50

2/20/2009 12:35 PM 8809A1557326 Aqueduct 2 $1.00 P4 2,5,6/5,6/3,7,10/3,4,9 IVR WAGER $54.00 $611.00

3/7/2009 11:35 AM 8C07F9257335 Aqueduct 2 $1.00 P4 7/4,5,6/2,5,6/1,3,6,10 ONLINE $36.00 $3,235.50

oddsmaven
04-24-2009, 08:54 AM
I agree with this point and maybe that's why I've seen winning streaks come to grinding halts up there...don't know if the old reputation "graveyard of champions/favorites" is based merely on Man O' War and Secretariat's defeats, or on a great many results...the other thing that makes it tough is "wifey's" annual plea for less time spent 'capping :( during the summer in favor of a variety of other activities.

DanG
04-24-2009, 09:29 AM
:1: Saratoga has been feast or famine; but even in lean years it's the most enjoyable famine in racing.

:1a: As MickJ26 said; Belmont strikes a good balance and gets choice dates.

I’ve found the Steve Davidowitz statement applies that I do my best work when the racing and atmosphere is compelling. ½ the time I find Aqueduct dirt racing mind numbing and 97.65% of the time Aqu-Inner bores me to tears.

fmolf
04-24-2009, 10:05 AM
:1: Saratoga has been feast or famine; but even in lean years it's the most enjoyable famine in racing.

:1a: As MickJ26 said; Belmont strikes a good balance and gets choice dates.

I’ve found the Steve Davidowitz statement applies that I do my best work when the racing and atmosphere is compelling. ½ the time I find Aqueduct dirt racing mind numbing and 97.65% of the time Aqu-Inner bores me to tears.
it is boring but if you stick to the horses that make the early lead and have some ability you should be fine... if one picks one spots the inner is an easy way to build your bankroll

fmolf
04-24-2009, 10:06 AM
i love belmont the best ...fondly remebering now the backyard concerts.....i think myself and my friends were the only 17 18 yr olds betting at that time...those were some wild afternoon evenings back there...anyone else remember the bands.....my favorite was hot tuna!

Bobzilla
04-24-2009, 10:07 AM
Each individual player is unique in regard to how he/she enjoys handicapping as well as the kinds of race results he/she prefers to capitalize on. Some approach the endeavor with the hopes of some semblance of orderliness to the results. Others prefer to seek out value with results that the majority of the wagering public might consider inscrutable, at least upon initial glance. There is nothing wrong with either approach and what's a great part of the game is that it can be enjoyed in different ways. Probably from years of having played in many tournaments, where hitting a combination of longshots is the only chance one has, I've clearly become a player that is constantly seeking out, tracking and eventually hoping to capitalize on hidden form. So when rating the tracks/meets of my favorite circuit, New York Racing, I have to keep in mind what my own goal is as a player and match that with my own experience over the years.

Before I list the tracks by preference I'll just say that I've always found the results of the Belmont spring meet to be the most predictable by the greater percentage of players. That is not what I want. I will say that with the introduction of turf sprints in recent years the ease of predictability has thankfully diminshed. But overall I still have a more difficult time finding the kind of value I'm after with the kinds of angles I like to employ during the months of May through July. Maybe I'm wrong about most having their best luck at Belmont and it's only my perception, or it's just me and I don't do well with it. Not a bad time of the year for me to get back out on the golf course.

The Aqueduct Inner and Saratoga are my most fruitful times of the year in New York. Though it's true that the Inner can carry speed pretty far on certain days, particularly inside speed, it can also do a total 180 on you in the very next race if the variables are effected in ways that many may not be perceptive to such as field composition, size of field, rider tactics, wind, etc.etc.. I'm not going to argue that there are days when the inside is not a conveyor belt on the Inner but I also think that overall this univerally accepted belief can be a bit overstated. The best value I find every year on the Inner is actually with deep closers, believe it or not.

For reasons others have mentioned Saratoga can be pretty challenging and equally rewarding when you're right. There is a lot of casual money in the Saratoga pools which can produce the kind of overlays we're not accustomed to seeing in New York during the other times of the year.

My favorite to least favorite meets in New York:

1) Aqueduct Inner (Dec - Mar)
2) Saratoga (Jul - Sept)
3) Aqueduct Spring (April)
4) Belmont Fall (Sept - Oct)
5) Aqueduct Fall (Nov)
6) Belmont Spring (May - Jul)

MickJ26
04-24-2009, 12:02 PM

Saratoga from an aesthetic perspective is probably the best.
From a handicapping perspective, it's quite difficult and borderline impossible.
You could have a field of ten with eight million dollar horses; AP Indys, Storm Cats, Distorted Humors, etc. How can you toss any of them out?
You could have a N1X allowance full of horses who've won at first asking at Bel, CD, Kee, Mth, etc. How can you toss any of them out?

fmolf
04-24-2009, 02:25 PM
Saratoga from an aesthetic perspective is probably the best.
From a handicapping perspective, it's quite difficult and borderline impossible.
You could have a field of ten with eight million dollar horses; AP Indys, Storm Cats, Distorted Humors, etc. How can you toss any of them out?
You could have a N1X allowance full of horses who've won at first asking at Bel, CD, Kee, Mth, etc. How can you toss any of them out?

in contentious races at saratoga i find it has been helpful to go with the trainers who have had success their in the past... certain trainers gear their stables up for the saratoga meet...mott ,dutrow both of them, tagg on dirt....rice ,mott , mcglaughlin, clemente, and suroor on grass... rice is especially good in turf sprints...i like to play her horses either in the win spot or in the exotics because it is her specialty....good luck

bishlap
04-25-2009, 05:42 PM
i love belmont the best ...fondly remebering now the backyard concerts.....i think myself and my friends were the only 17 18 yr olds betting at that time...those were some wild afternoon evenings back there...anyone else remember the bands.....my favorite was hot tuna!
oh yes, hit single#1 into walkin blues 2 songs would last 45 minutes and the band was just getting started...back when the cops would give u a light for your joint and look the other way when u sipped a bud - or a bootleg coors.
-=-
Handicapping/racingwise, Belmont for me. I hit a huge exacta 'bout 10-11 yrs ago (on fathers day) w/ Say Karakorum Sandy on top, never could have fathomed that yrs later he would be NY's (NY Bred) all-time leading purse winner. Fond memories of Belmont.
edit: SKSandy's 1st time out!!

fmolf
04-25-2009, 06:31 PM
oh yes, hit single#1 into walkin blues 2 songs would last 45 minutes and the band was just getting started...back when the cops would give u a light for your joint and look the other way when u sipped a bud - or a bootleg coors.
-=-
Handicapping/racingwise, Belmont for me. I hit a huge exacta 'bout 10-11 yrs ago (on fathers day) w/ Say Karakorum Sandy on top, never could have fathomed that yrs later he would be NY's (NY Bred) all-time leading purse winner. Fond memories of Belmont.
edit: SKSandy's 1st time out!!
ahh the good old days.....bones and beers an the backyard at belmont...i,ll be there wednesday god willing ...... exactas doubles and the last race triple were all the exotic wagers available....how far we have come

onefast99
04-25-2009, 08:48 PM
ahh the good old days.....bones and beers an the backyard at belmont...i,ll be there wednesday god willing ...... exactas doubles and the last race triple were all the exotic wagers available....how far we have come
Didn't they move the bones and beer to the 1st floor of Aqueduct every winter? or is that NYRA's new scent of the meet?

bishlap
04-30-2009, 08:47 AM
-=-
Handicapping/racingwise, Belmont for me. I hit a huge exacta 'bout 10-11 yrs ago (on fathers day) w/ Say FLORIDAY Sandy on top, never could have fathomed that yrs later he would be NY's (NY Bred) all-time leading purse winner. Fond memories of Belmont.
edit: SAY FLORIDA SANDY 1st time out!!Say Florida Sandy, he meant to SAY

fmolf
04-30-2009, 04:56 PM
Say Florida Sandy, he meant to SAY
my first big score was with a horse called moonraker..big exactas back then.i had it for five dollars ...forget exactly what it paid me the horse was a $32.00 horse on top..... i think i collected about $800.total....i was 16.... not much i remember about that ..time in my life...lol...mid seventies