PDA

View Full Version : Body Language Rules

strapper
04-22-2009, 09:58 PM
Bonnie L.'s "Body Language" book is one of my handicapping bibles. Ever since I read it many years ago the philosophy of visual handicapping for both trips and horses appearance on the track TODAY carry the most weight for me. My confidence levels only go up when I see a horse warm up keenly; in fact, I rarely budge from my seat unless the horse speaks to me with his movements in the pre-race. My pet peeve about handicapping off track is not getting to see the horses warm up equally and thoroughly. Some tracks like Philadelphia Park and a few others I won't name just don't show me enough of the horses getting ready. The other thing I require to wager is a gate shot with up-to-the-minute win odds in the same graphic while they are loaded. For the life of me I don't know why tracks take that off the screen while the loading is going on.

fmolf
04-22-2009, 10:17 PM
i read that book when it first came out and have been using it to separate contenders and pretenders ever since....i use it just as much to dissuade me off of my handicapping selection as i do to separate overlayed contenders...as a ny handicapper it is a pet peeve of mine when my 2/1 overlay becomes a 7/5 underlay after the race goes off! :bang:

NY BRED
04-23-2009, 06:53 AM
while this is a stretch for the topic, one of my (former) friends advised
never bet a horse when the Jock is wearing substitute sillks.

:eek:

Run Nicholas Run
04-23-2009, 05:13 PM
while this is a stretch for the topic, one of my (former) friends advised
never bet a horse when the Jock is wearing substitute sillks.

:eek:

you say a "former friend", is the individual a former friend
because of being wrong on different racing factors? :D

I used to like to wager on the "sub silks" at nyra back
when they had the blue with the white X or the gray with the
white X.

When ALOMA'S RULER won the '82 withers at Aqueduct
he was ridden by cowboy jack wearing the blue subs ;) .

Now that I live out west when I go to YAVAPAI downs
there is no "sub silks" as each number has assigned colors.
1 is always red, 2 is white , 3 is blue, etc etc.

GreenPlant
04-26-2009, 03:53 AM
I am interested in Books on body language. Is the one you are talking about called "The body language of Horses " by Tom Ainslie AND Bonnie Ledbetter

fmolf
04-26-2009, 09:51 AM
I am interested in Books on body language. Is the one you are talking about called "The body language of Horses " by Tom Ainslie AND Bonnie Ledbetter
yes that is it....circa 1980 or so ...perhaps a bit earlier

WaHoo
04-26-2009, 10:22 AM
here's some by Joe Takach

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44408&highlight=takach

I like Beat the Beam

fmolf
04-26-2009, 10:37 AM
all of takach's books an articles are excellent!he used to be here in philly on the east coast

fmhealth
04-26-2009, 09:08 PM
I use physicality as the MOST IMPORTANT final screen in my 'capping. I simply will not bet a race unless I can get a good look at the field in the paddock.

For some reason, most 'cappers will simply not spend even a minimum amount of time learning the basics of this somewhat arcane skill. Once you're comfortable with viewing the horses & know what to look for. Suddendly, you have a decided edge over the crowd.

The number of contenders & favorites that don't show any positive signals is truly amazing. It's a skill that is worth learning IMHO.

jcrabboy
04-26-2009, 11:55 PM
Horses Talk: It Pays to Listen by Trillis Parker. It is an excellent book on body language in the paddock and Post Parade.

Jimmie

Wickel
04-27-2009, 01:41 AM
Joe Takach's material is outstandig, especially "Beat the Beam." One of the single-most productive signs of body language, at least IMHO, is when you see a horse false starting in the post parade. These are horses who have their mind on running and usually perform well.

scoots63
04-27-2009, 01:44 AM
I have all these books and videos. All are very good. I like Joe Takach " Beat the Beam " and view it often, because it was produced for the simulcast players.
Now if we could keep the camera people at the tracks to stop getting fixated on thier favorite horse, and pan the rest on the field in the warm ups it would really be great.
Thanks for the post. This is a great subject.
Scoots

fmolf
04-27-2009, 07:32 AM
I have all these books and videos. All are very good. I like Joe Takach " Beat the Beam " and view it often, because it was produced for the simulcast players.
Now if we could keep the camera people at the tracks to stop getting fixated on thier favorite horse, and pan the rest on the field in the warm ups it would really be great.
Scoots
Trillis Parkers book is excellent. she tells how to look for certain muscles on a horses body...racing muscle on hind quarters and conditioning muscle on the underside... i have had good success with body language to affirm my handicapping or keeping off one of my selections which is harder than one may think to get off your selection because human nature is to look for things that reinforce your judgement not knock it down

strapper
04-29-2009, 12:34 PM
It is rather aggravating when they show just one or two horses warming up and you're hoping they will switch to others you are particulary interested in. There ought to be a camera man's guidebook or tv dept. director's manual so they will know what and how to show the product fairly for the audience who is at their mercy.

Scoots

fmolf
04-29-2009, 02:05 PM
It is rather aggravating when they show just one or two horses warming up and you're hoping they will switch to others you are particulary interested in. There ought to be a camera man's guidebook or tv dept. director's manual so they will know what and how to show the product fairly for the audience who is at their mercy.
when i play at the otb or race palace or atlantic city i only use body language to get me off my picks..i am not good enough to use it to validate my selection

BIG49010
04-29-2009, 02:34 PM

NYRA is the worst, they used to do a good job, but somebody in the TV department got lazy. They used to wait for the horses to make a turn and they would show each horse at a good angle to the camera, but since last summer at Saratoga the camera guy shows you a view with the pony between the horses and camera. I can tell who has the nicest pony, but forget about the post parade you better hope you get a padock shot.