PDA

View Full Version : Platt on TVG

DeanT
04-22-2009, 07:25 PM
Video evidence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXBgXjdsbkY&feature=channel_page

<object width="320" height="265"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AXBgXjdsbkY&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AXBgXjdsbkY&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="320" height="265"></embed></object>

I liked Matt's comments about Paceadvantage. Very funny Matt. :)

Cangamble
04-22-2009, 08:20 PM
Good stuff. I'll be posting it on my blog tomorrow.

PaceAdvantage
04-22-2009, 11:35 PM
Jeff deserves so much praise for conducting such a professional interview on live TV...I believe he said this was his first time ever in such a situation....WTG!:ThmbUp:

InsideThePylons-MW
04-23-2009, 12:29 AM
Jeff deserves so much praise for conducting such a professional interview on live TV..

He was ultra-professional.

When Todd was spewing how horseplayer friendly TVG is, I would have asked him why they charge horseplayers a wager fee to make a bet with them.

Tom
04-23-2009, 10:03 AM
Gee, a PA homeboy makes good! :ThmbUp:

Couldn't pick a better guy to be in the spotlight.
Jeff is a pure class act in everything he does.

And of course, all the guys driving HANA deserve props for their dedication and hard work.

DeanT
04-23-2009, 10:30 AM
Aorund midnight last night we received our 1000th member. Thanks to everyone here who helped achieve this first milestone.

Last July or August on Paceadvantage.com an idea for a horseplayers association was born. The half dozen or so with screen names like “Raybo” or “Chickenhead” were meeting in the ‘war room’ to decide on a name, on what the planks would be; and the discussions were focused mainly about if this would even be an idea worth trying.

Nine months later, on April 23 2009, we are happy to report that this group that was called HANA has received its 1000th member.

Back in September when we were incorporated under the laws of the state of Virginia at the behest of our very capable Treasurer Theresia, we discussed benchmarks we would like to hit in membership numbers. Because we are all horseplayers there was no shortage of predictions. In the end we said if we received 1000 members by September of 2009 we would be doing very well. It is amazingly exciting and gratifying that we beat that estimate by such a huge number. Not to mention humbling.

To everyone who has helped, our sincere thanks. But most of all, to the other 995 of you who have signed up, thanks for making this happen.

Jeff, Dean, Theresia, Bill and John

This week we are betting Hawthorne race 6 on Saturday. Stay tuned to the blog for PP's and other free tools. If you'd like to join us at HANA we are only a click away (http://www.jcapper.com/HANA/SignUp/HANASignUpForm.asp?source=1). Thanks for participating.

cj
04-23-2009, 10:49 AM
Whether you like Matt C's style or not, he is a horseplayer and good to have on the interview.

Hajck Hillstrom
04-23-2009, 12:43 PM
Whether you like Matt C's style or not, he is a horseplayer and good to have on the interview.Matt's reference to PA members "loving me" with his tongue placed firmly in his cheek may have been the funniest thing I've ever heard him say.

I'm thinking this was a pretty memorable weekend for Jeff and all the H.A.N.A. members able to attend the racing at Keeneland. I wish I could have been there.

Back in August of `07, Matt Carothers sat down at my table at Del Mar and conducted an episode of 58 Flat. He ordered a cheeseburger and told the waitress to put it on my bill. At the end of the show, she still hadn't brought him his burger, so Matt asked her about it. She responded "oh I'm so sorry, I didn't take you seriously." To which I responded "don't worry about it, no one does."

It was good to see Todd and Matt invite Jeff on the set with them, and the perfect forum for H.A.N.A to step into the limelight. Maybe they will invite Jeff back to present the Eclipse Award for Handicapper of the Year.

The Judge
04-23-2009, 01:06 PM
all the way around also must thank PA for providing the place where interested horseplayers could get together and share ideas and come-up with a group such as HANA.

njcurveball
04-23-2009, 02:18 PM
Great job Jeff! Very well done! :ThmbUp:

BillW
04-23-2009, 02:23 PM
Maybe they will invite Jeff back to present the Eclipse Award for Handicapper of the Year.

Hmmm, now that is something to work on :cool: .

rrbauer
04-23-2009, 03:19 PM
"Last July or August on Paceadvantage.com an idea for a horseplayers association was born. The half dozen or so with screen names like “Raybo” or “Chickenhead” were meeting in the ‘war room’ to decide on a name, on what the planks would be; and the discussions were focused mainly about if this would even be an idea worth trying.

Nine months later, on April 23 2009, we are happy to report that this group that was called HANA has received its 1000th member."

Actually swetyejohn got this started last May in the War Room. A thousand members is awesome. Let's go get the next thousand.

Imriledup
04-23-2009, 03:23 PM
I totally understand Jeff's point about procott's instead of boycotts, but it seems like tracks will only really understand a boycott. If California raises takeout, shouldn't they be boycotted?

Explain to me again how racetracks will respond to people killing them with kindness.

I'm not sure racetracks deserve that kind of respect.

Respect that they certainly don't (and never have) return to the players.

miesque
04-23-2009, 03:37 PM
I totally understand Jeff's point about procott's instead of boycotts, but it seems like tracks will only really understand a boycott. If California raises takeout, shouldn't they be boycotted?

Explain to me again how racetracks will respond to people killing them with kindness.

I'm not sure racetracks deserve that kind of respect.

Respect that they certainly don't (and never have) return to the players.

Just an observation about any "boycott" movement, you have to have all or a good chunk of the the people currently using a product to boycott it. Those who don't use the product can't really boycott it can they because there is no impact aka change. Now if you happened to have control/influence of 50-100% of the money purchasing a product then you can talk boycott and bring about pretty swift changes. Let me know when you are able to round up 50-100% of the participants in a specific pool and make them abstain.

bcgreg
04-23-2009, 06:29 PM
Jeff,

Great Job...proud to be a member!

BobG

cj's dad
04-23-2009, 07:06 PM
hey Jeff,

I just got to watch the i'view and you did a great job - congrats; keep up the fine work.

trying2win
04-24-2009, 02:12 AM
Nice going Jeff, on your YOU TUBE guest appearance with TVG. Good show!...or should that be Good win! for handicappers everywhere?

I read online that late actor, Edward Platt (The Chief of CONTROL on the Get Smart TV series) had a son named Jeff. I wonder what would be the odds that Jeff Platt of JCapper fame, could be The "Chiefs' son in real life? http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/39.gif hmmm.

Can we call Jeff, "Chief' of H.A.N.A?. If so, do members of H.A.N.A. get a number, thus that could become their 'Agent' number? That might be a "Get Smart' idea too.

I wonder how Jeff handles a K.A.O.S. race, er I mean a chaos race when he's handicapping? Would you believe?.....

T2W
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
~""I didn't really say everything I said."

--Yogi Berra

MNslappy
04-24-2009, 02:31 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_i-Ps4c3mQ9w/SWXvgnCq07I/AAAAAAAAAeg/DpLM7fCiDps/s400/Borat_Great_Success.jpg

It's truly been extraordinary to watch this thing grow, from the first few threads, to the that first procott at Los Ala, to now live interviews on TVG and coverage on Bloodhorse and all corners of the internet. :ThmbUp:

thruncy
04-24-2009, 03:02 AM
He was ultra-professional.

When Todd was spewing how horseplayer friendly TVG is, I would have asked him why they charge horseplayers a wager fee to make a bet with them.Bet $2500 a month--no fees.

andicap
04-24-2009, 06:39 AM
congrats Jeff -- you and the team are doing great work!

rokitman
04-24-2009, 09:29 AM
http://www.unr.nevada.edu/~jsalls/NNMC/applause.gif

eastie
04-24-2009, 09:31 AM
Bet $2500 a month--no fees.

it's one thing if they charge you a quarter a call, but a quarter every bet ? no way no how they lost me as a customer with that nonsense. express bet is free, and like the hippies say. If it's free. it's for me.

Cangamble
04-24-2009, 09:49 AM
it's one thing if they charge you a quarter a call, but a quarter every bet ? no way no how they lost me as a customer with that nonsense. express bet is free, and like the hippies say. If it's free. it's for me.
I'm no fan when it comes to a betting surcharge, but after 80 bets a month, all other bets are free, and if you do over 2500 a month it is free.
They hurt the small bettor, but then again they offer lots of freebies, like videos etc.

miesque
04-24-2009, 09:56 AM
I'm no fan when it comes to a betting surcharge, but after 80 bets a month, all other bets are free, and if you do over 2500 a month it is free.
They hurt the small bettor, but then again they offer lots of freebies, like videos etc.

TVG does provide items like video but considering Twinspires does not have any wager surcharges and gives video, race replays, etc with a minimum of only $5K per year wager activity (as well as the Free PP angle) not to mention Twinspires TV and a better website, they are not pricing themselves very competitively. In many ways, TVG provides a lesser product for more money.

Cangamble
04-24-2009, 10:10 AM
TVG does provide items like video but considering Twinspires does not have any wager surcharges and gives video, race replays, etc with a minimum of only $5K per year wager activity (as well as the Free PP angle) not to mention Twinspires TV and a better website, they are not pricing themselves very competitively. In many ways, TVG provides a lesser product for more money.
I'm not debating who is better. My guess is that TVG has a bigger overhead, which of course shouldn't matter to whoever opens a betting account. Hopefully we'll be able to rate the ADW's soon, and I'm sure Twinspires will come out on top overall or close to it.

DeanT
04-24-2009, 10:19 AM
I think the big question w/ TVG is not what they are doing now, it'll be what they are doing in a year. It will be interesting. I know companies are hamstrung by 1914 regulations in this mess of a business, but when the company that takes you over had 36 customers in 2000 and now has over 2 million, all while telling everyone who will listen that horse racing is their number one sport (not slots, or other sports), we are sure to be in for some changes, and it should be fairly exciting, imo.

miesque
04-24-2009, 10:38 AM
I think the big question w/ TVG is not what they are doing now, it'll be what they are doing in a year. It will be interesting. I know companies are hamstrung by 1914 regulations in this mess of a business, but when the company that takes you over had 36 customers in 2000 and now has over 2 million, all while telling everyone who will listen that horse racing is their number one sport (not slots, or other sports), we are sure to be in for some changes, and it should be fairly exciting, imo.

That is a very good point and I am curious to see how Betfair changes TVG. That said, I was rather disappointed in the manner in which TVG proceeded this week with the Hollywood Park mess, it was a poorly executed attempt to get a bigger slice and they should have ironed out their contract with TOC prior and if not they should have adequately notified their customers that wagering was not available with enough time for them to make alternative arrangements. There is another thread that has gone on ad nauseam regarding that last issue which I consider to be a "quality of or lack thereof" customer service issue.

eastie
04-24-2009, 12:55 PM

okay so $20 a month x 12 months is $240....thats 10 4 horse tri boxes for me. that $20 this month could be a $20 double that pays $68.40 and now it's $684. sometimes you can get started for a mere $20....the cost of 80 bets on TVG.

boomman
04-24-2009, 03:17 PM
Having witnessed that first war room discussion that helped launch this "grass roots" organization that Rich Bauer alluded to, I want to extend my congratulations to Jeff Platt, the board and membership of H.A.N.A who are really starting to get noticed by the industry. I'm also sure that if I hadn't been told that Jeff had never appeared on TV before I certainly wouldn't have known it, as he was cool, calm, collected and professional! My compliments to Todd and Matt as well as they pledged TVG's support of a forum to H.A.N.A and asked some great questions! Here's hoping that membership continues to grow quickly and to much success!!

Boomer

BUD
04-24-2009, 04:47 PM
TVG covers Hawthorn? If they do--HANA should send the press release to TVG and let them in on the Pool Party---Man If they promoted it----It would be an incredible win win for all involved---Plus for the Simple Bettor out there looking for a large pool---Well It is going to be at Hawthorn---Also we will see if the are going to keep there word---I say they do- Its honestly a win win situation----Whoever came up with the Pool Party idea needs a raise----

One Of my Officer thug union friend was over I told him about it---He was floored at the simplicity of it--But how effective it will become if WE stick together----

Man Each week I get more and more pumped--

RB If you read this your project will be there by Tuesday or Wed--

cj's dad
04-24-2009, 05:46 PM
okay so $20 a month x 12 months is $240....thats 10 4 horse tri boxes for me. that $20 this month could be a $20 double that pays $68.40 and now it's $684. sometimes you can get started for a mere $20....the cost of 80 bets on TVG.

OK - so go to the track all of those 12 mnonths - pay to park and maybe to get in - buy a hot dog and beverage and see what it costs you to do this !!

$20 a month is = to $.65 a day and you do not have to leave home.

Get with the program will ya?

If you don't like the terms - MOVE ON !!!

eastie
04-25-2009, 08:21 AM
i did move on ...to xpress bet NO FEES and all the bells and whistles, and when i want my money i get it in 5 minutes. Am i going slow enough for you ?