PDA

View Full Version : Derby stretch runs video (1968-2006)

joanied
04-22-2009, 12:04 PM
I found these links on the Paulick Report...some of you may have already watched these...but for those that haven't...if you have a little time...these two video's should evoke some wonderful memories... several of these brought it all back for me, and I found myself laughing & crying at the same time...
enjoy:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf23wvVxpuU (1968-1986)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E33yV1pDaPA (1987-2006)

PS...still drives me utterly :mad: nuts when I hear the call of Foolish Pleasure's Deby win...how could he call the wrong horse in mid stretch, I'll never know:bang:

Marshall Bennett
04-22-2009, 12:13 PM
Thanks Joan !!:ThmbUp:

joanied
04-22-2009, 12:45 PM
My pleasure, MB... it's fun to share good stuff:)

CincyHorseplayer
04-22-2009, 04:57 PM
Do you have any video of the winners being conceived??:lol:

joanied
04-22-2009, 05:56 PM
Do you have any video of the winners being conceived??:lol:

What:confused: Sorry, but I don't get it:confused: :bang:

CincyHorseplayer
04-22-2009, 05:58 PM
What:confused: Sorry, but I don't get it:confused: :bang:

While attempting to be funny I'm being a sick SOB!!

joanied
04-22-2009, 06:21 PM
While attempting to be funny I'm being a sick SOB!!

Well...you :eek: said it....not me :D

Skanoochies
04-22-2009, 07:43 PM
Thanks for those joanied. Brings back memories. Just about time for another tight foto finish, to make things really exciting. ;)

JPinMaryland
04-25-2009, 03:12 AM
PS...still drives me utterly :mad: nuts when I hear the call of Foolish Pleasure's Deby win...how could he call the wrong horse in mid stretch, I'll never know:bang:

I think they had similar saddle clothes and maybe in similar position on the turn. Lots of bumping in the stretch huh?

JPinMaryland
04-25-2009, 03:29 AM
wow! Out of part one of that set, Riva Ridge and Spend a Bucks are the most dominating performance, to me. Slew, and Spectacular Bid also impressive. The Foolish Pleasure finish is exciting, so is Ferdinands, you dont see the entire move that Shoemaker made with him.

Not too many come from the far outside. Pleasant Colony, Canonero I think...

46zilzal
04-25-2009, 12:09 PM
I have the entire race(s) from 1979 on...........Boy they are fun to watch and totally irrelevant (other than the joy of watching them) from one year to the next.

joanied
04-25-2009, 01:23 PM
I think they had similar saddle clothes and maybe in similar position on the turn. Lots of bumping in the stretch huh?

I wouldn't say lots of bumping in the stretch...just a little...but, forget the saddle clothes (actually, the video is of such poor quality, you can't really see the clothes)...plus FP's jockey's cap is pretty distinctive...plus...and here's the biggie...FP was undeafeated 2 year old champion...now wouldn't ya think Chick Anderson would have had his eyes on him in deep stretch...IMO...unforgivable screw up:bang:

joanied
04-25-2009, 01:29 PM
I have the entire race(s) from 1979 on...........Boy they are fun to watch and totally irrelevant (other than the joy of watching them) from one year to the next.

Irrevelevant to this year's Derby? Agreed...but kentucky Derby stuff non the less.
The Preankess & Belmont broke my heart...Foolish should have been a Triple Crown winner...and to do what he did is amazing considering he had horrible feet...but was loaded with class & courage.
Avatar was atabled in one of our barns (barn #1) at belmont...Shoemaker told me to bet my $$ on Avatar...of course, I didn't...and Foolihs nearly got there...another few jumps, he'd have won the Belmont.

Sorry, zil...it's just that Foolish Pleasure will always hold a very special place in my heart.

Skanoochies
04-25-2009, 07:51 PM
Joanied, It`s Saturday did you have a glass of red wine today? :jump: