Tom
04-22-2009, 11:45 AM
Anyone using this service?
Opinions?

Thinking of giving it whirl.

www.racingflow.com

dutchboy
04-22-2009, 07:26 PM
Looks like a waste of space based on their website. No past history.

John
04-22-2009, 07:57 PM
A new twist ????

garyoz
04-22-2009, 09:54 PM
They were the guest handicappers on TVG for 3 or 4 weekends and did not do very well as I recall. Or at least I was underwhelmed. Also, personally I didn't care for some of the logic as the guest handicapper explained the picks. The handicapper was also kind of a suck-up to the TVG hosts.

They definitely are veteran horseplayers and know the game. Based on their website it looks like you can upload the bias and other notes and have them be part of the web-based Formulator, which is a nice option. Wish them success--they seem legit. If you try them out, how about a full report?

NY BRED
04-23-2009, 06:58 AM
Tom:

not that I'm touting the service but Equiform appears to provide a
similar service and has been around for several years.

You might want to check their website.

NTamm1215
04-23-2009, 08:46 AM
When their front man came on TVG for the month of March, he was awful. His Pick 4s consistently missed at Aqueduct and his "racing flow" projections played out poorly on the actual races, and understanding the pace situation is essential when they're on the inner track. The website is equally unimpressive.

NT

garyoz
04-23-2009, 12:04 PM
Tom:

not that I'm touting the service but Equiform appears to provide a
similar service and has been around for several years.

You might want to check their website.

Equiform has professional quality pace and performance figures ala the speed figs provided by Ragozin and Thorograph. A very different product. Agree, it is worth checking out.

michiken
04-23-2009, 01:07 PM
Numbers are numbers and ratings are ratings.

They are only another tool and what matters is how successfully that you learn and apply them.

1st time lasix
04-23-2009, 01:26 PM
Interesting concept that may allow to find vulnerability in a public favorite or perhaps upgrade a contender who ran against a potential bias. I think Lifton uses the source or at least he once wrote an article about it abot twn weeks ago.

Tom
04-23-2009, 03:09 PM
Lifton has mentioned them a few times, and I have a sample from them, that's why the interest.

I was wondering if anyone was using them regularly.

andicap
04-24-2009, 10:19 AM
Equiform is Cary Fotias, isn't it? He's a world-class handicapper.

As for the the Racing Flow, I'm getting the same stuff and I actually have been using a few of their concepts for a while now -- mainly on the pace side not the track bias. But i have long used pace to try and detect whether a perceived track bias was more a factor of pace than "dirt."

Much of what they do is based on the same principles to Randy Giles' ratings -- adjusting the speed figure of a horse depending on the pace he faced -- which in turn gave me the idea to do the same thing using HTR and a spreadsheet.

Doesn't always work of course but it leads me to some nifty price plays AND has kept me off false favorites who had the best of the pace set-up last time.

The only difference with my method is that I use %E instead of pace figures. Just found it more reliable (or % median) and hardly anyone else uses energy as a pace yardstick so I have an edge.

I've been able to analyze 1st call, 2nd call and turn time energy usage among the leaders to help determine if a horse was helped or hurt by the pace. Not complicated -- just comparing each race's %E among the pace-setters to a standard.

Randy uses just the 2nd (pace) call, but i've found it sometimes pays to examine the first fraction to see if a pace-presser expended undue energy over 2f or 4f (sprint/route). Even if he got a rest in the 2nd fraction that moderated his pace call figure, the horse may have already been fried after the hot first quarter/half.

Which standard you use is a matter of taste. Obviously same distance/surface/ etc., but differences can arise over class, age, number of races to use, recency, etc. That's a whole other discussion.

That's basically what Racing Flow is trying to measure with their addition of putting a quantitative figure on the relationship between the pace and the bias. I'm a bit skeptical on that part.

sam i am
07-19-2009, 04:19 PM
Tom,
Did you give these guys a try?

SIA

Tom
07-19-2009, 05:47 PM
No, not yet...I got a few emails from them and some samples, but I really haven't looked hard at it.

offtrack
07-20-2009, 08:43 AM
Tom,

They gave me a four week free subscription, which I started this week.

Email them and ask for the CapitalOTB offer for four weeks free.

Met them in Albany this weekend, Jake and Phil. True believers in their product-

o

Tom
07-20-2009, 09:52 AM
Thanks, OT! :ThmbUp: