PDA

View Full Version : DRF not carrying my track?

bushwick
04-22-2009, 08:41 AM
Why has Finger Lakes not been in the form lately? Anyone else notice this? Tom, what is going on up there?

FantasticDan
04-22-2009, 11:52 AM
I was at FL last weekend, and asked an employee who sells the DRF and programs that very question. She said FL hadn't been getting the entries to DRF in time to include them. :ThmbDown:

fmolf
04-22-2009, 12:12 PM
game ..set...match!....why would they drag their feet on something so important as this?i laso give the lakes a cursory glance for any of my favorite angles...this had to be hurting their off track handle!

CincyHorseplayer
04-22-2009, 05:04 PM
I'm having a similar problem.I'm in Cincinnati and have been following Tampa all winter,3 of the last 4 Saturdays,if I want to bet Tampa I have to get the "Players Edition".Which has very lovely accompanying tracks for the 12:25 PM post time for Tampa(or later) like Philly,Sunland,Will Rogers,Charles Town,Woodbine,Remington,Penn,Delta,Los Alos,and Hastings.

Excellant coverage of the Saturday afternoon stakes races and main tracks hugh??

Pisses me off I have to get 2 forms nearly every Saturday.And I hate the printable versions.For one they burn up inkjets and there's no room for notes or anything on them.

That's my DRF rant.

bushwick
04-22-2009, 05:27 PM
the DRF wants 125k to continue carrying FL. If this true that sure seems like alot of money to come up with for a small track is this standard policy or is this just b.s.?

takeout
04-22-2009, 06:39 PM
That sounds pretty steep even for DRF. Don’t know if it’s BS or not but do know that they impose minimums on tracks. Why tracks put up with this is beyond me.

Tom
04-23-2009, 09:54 AM
I bought a Saturday Form at the track on Friday and No FL.
I asked why and the guy told me "We didn't pay our bill!"
We laughed, but maybe it was true?

DRF is pretty much run by incompetents.

SMOO
04-23-2009, 10:36 AM
DRF is pretty much run by incompetents.

Maybe they will wake up, but I wouldn't count on it.

bushwick
04-23-2009, 12:07 PM
I see FL is back in the Fri. edition glad its back.

senortout
04-23-2009, 02:07 PM
I'm having a similar problem.I'm in Cincinnati and have been following Tampa all winter,3 of the last 4 Saturdays,if I want to bet Tampa I have to get the "Players Edition".Which has very lovely accompanying tracks for the 12:25 PM post time for Tampa(or later) like Philly,Sunland,Will Rogers,Charles Town,Woodbine,Remington,Penn,Delta,Los Alos,and Hastings.

Excellant coverage of the Saturday afternoon stakes races and main tracks hugh??

Pisses me off I have to get 2 forms nearly every Saturday.And I hate the printable versions.For one they burn up inkjets and there's no room for notes or anything on them.

That's my DRF rant.

Cinci.....learn to refill your ink cartridges, it's rather easy once you get the hang of it. Or, should I say, Canon printers are easily refilled. The newer printers tell you when the cartridges get low(way too soon) well, you lose that feature once you start refilling, but printing an average of 4 forms and then refilling seems to about take care of that problem(you should never let your cartridges go dry for any period of time) I am assuming here that your printers are not really burning up, and that you meant the expense of cartridge replacement? Also, I bought a looseleaf notebook and a 3 ring punch....my forms are kept neatly in the notebook. Most printed races have a spot somewhere at the bottom for notes, often the last horse or two are all by themselves on a page, leaving plenty of space. You could also insert blank sheets between the races for notes. Just a suggestion. I pay nothing for the form, but make sure you bet a race or so at each track if you take the trouble to download and print. Without at least one wager at that track, you will be charged for the form. My cost if this would happen is $1.00 This all using twinspires as my provider.....

another thought, say you just decide to play a race or two...keep a notepad by your computer(again you're betting from home?) and don't even bother to print!....Open a separate window with the pdf of the form displayed. Just write the horses number or name whatever you prefer on the notepad and make a few notes on the relative merits of each horse. This is quite fun, be sure and make a note however small on each horse. When the race is over, you can test your judgements more that you could ever believe! I even make notes on top of my notes, I was right about this one, way off on this one, etc., etc...a good way to self teach I think.

senortout
04-23-2009, 02:45 PM
and a photo instead of my usual 1000 words:[

QUOTE=senortout]Cinci.....learn to refill your ink cartridges, it's rather easy once you get the hang of it. Or, should I say, Canon printers are easily refilled. The newer printers tell you when the cartridges get low(way too soon) well, you lose that feature once you start refilling, but printing an average of 4 forms and then refilling seems to about take care of that problem(you should never let your cartridges go dry for any period of time) I am assuming here that your printers are not really burning up, and that you meant the expense of cartridge replacement? Also, I bought a looseleaf notebook and a 3 ring punch....my forms are kept neatly in the notebook. Most printed races have a spot somewhere at the bottom for notes, often the last horse or two are all by themselves on a page, leaving plenty of space. You could also insert blank sheets between the races for notes. Just a suggestion. I pay nothing for the form, but make sure you bet a race or so at each track if you take the trouble to download and print. Without at least one wager at that track, you will be charged for the form. My cost if this would happen is $1.00 This all using twinspires as my provider.....

another thought, say you just decide to play a race or two...keep a notepad by your computer(again you're betting from home?) and don't even bother to print!....Open a separate window with the pdf of the form displayed. Just write the horses number or name whatever you prefer on the notepad and make a few notes on the relative merits of each horse. This is quite fun, be sure and make a note however small on each horse. When the race is over, you can test your judgements more that you could ever believe! I even make notes on top of my notes, I was right about this one, way off on this one, etc., etc...a good way to self teach I think.[/QUOTE]

NJ Stinks
04-23-2009, 06:20 PM
I still like the DRF but in comparison to the UK's Racing Post, the editorial section of the DRF is poor to put it mildly.

I buy the DRF paper copy around 3 times a week. When I answered their reader's survey about 2 months ago, I emphasized a few points:

1. I'm willing to pay more for at least 8 tracks. (I buy the Players Edition sometimes too, CincyHorsePlayer, but it's not that easy to get around here unless I'm at a track or OTB.)

2. Drop the AWS tracks in the eastern edition. I don't play them and it's a waste of my money.

3. Drop Finger Lakes. To lose Calder or Hawthorne (to name 2 tracks) for Finger Lakes in the Mid-Atlantic region is beyond silly.

CincyHorseplayer
04-24-2009, 10:56 PM
and a photo instead of my usual 1000 words:[

QUOTE=senortout]Cinci.....learn to refill your ink cartridges, it's rather easy once you get the hang of it. Or, should I say, Canon printers are easily refilled. The newer printers tell you when the cartridges get low(way too soon) well, you lose that feature once you start refilling, but printing an average of 4 forms and then refilling seems to about take care of that problem(you should never let your cartridges go dry for any period of time) I am assuming here that your printers are not really burning up, and that you meant the expense of cartridge replacement? Also, I bought a looseleaf notebook and a 3 ring punch....my forms are kept neatly in the notebook. Most printed races have a spot somewhere at the bottom for notes, often the last horse or two are all by themselves on a page, leaving plenty of space. You could also insert blank sheets between the races for notes. Just a suggestion. I pay nothing for the form, but make sure you bet a race or so at each track if you take the trouble to download and print. Without at least one wager at that track, you will be charged for the form. My cost if this would happen is $1.00 This all using twinspires as my provider.....

another thought, say you just decide to play a race or two...keep a notepad by your computer(again you're betting from home?) and don't even bother to print!....Open a separate window with the pdf of the form displayed. Just write the horses number or name whatever you prefer on the notepad and make a few notes on the relative merits of each horse. This is quite fun, be sure and make a note however small on each horse. When the race is over, you can test your judgements more that you could ever believe! I even make notes on top of my notes, I was right about this one, way off on this one, etc., etc...a good way to self teach I think.[/QUOTE]

It looks like you've got some oversized print paper Senor and that would work for me.Is that right??And if you would tell me more about the ink jet conservation plan.Thanks thus far for your input.Haven't had much time to do other than get sunburnt and churn the the non equine-oriented work dollar!

Zman179
04-25-2009, 10:46 PM
3. Drop Finger Lakes. To lose Calder or Hawthorne (to name 2 tracks) for Finger Lakes in the Mid-Atlantic region is beyond silly.

Finger Lakes is quite popular in New York, especially in the OTB's since quite a few NYRA horses find their way up the Turnpike. I'd much rather see Finger Lakes in the Form than Calder.

NJ Stinks
04-26-2009, 01:06 AM
Finger Lakes is quite popular in New York, especially in the OTB's since quite a few NYRA horses find their way up the Turnpike. I'd much rather see Finger Lakes in the Form than Calder.

New York DRF's - I agree 100%. Monmouth, Philly, Delaware, Maryland, and Colonial - no demand I can see except on a Monday or Tuesday.

ranchwest
04-26-2009, 09:53 AM
If you're playing from home, you can eliminate paper completely. Microsoft has a product called One Note. It's like sticky notes in a Window. You can place a note anywhere on a page and re-size it and drag it around.

FantasticDan
05-12-2009, 10:52 PM
Weeks later, and this continues to be a problem with DRF and FL. During FL's racing week, some days it's in, some days it isn't. I don't get it. :bang:

Tom
05-13-2009, 07:27 AM
DRF doing its part to help built the game. :rolleyes:

bushwick
05-13-2009, 09:04 AM
Entries closing late has been the problem lately. Seems like everywhere is having a horse shortage.

vikingrob
05-15-2009, 05:44 PM
As for me, I simply get the online PP's, and use a laser printer and three-hole punch. As a result, I choose the tracks I want for a given day, generally for as little as a dollar.

alhattab
05-15-2009, 07:37 PM
I believe there was a hidden price increase lately w/the Form. When you bought off-track you used to get the "big form" which included the national tracks and the local tracks via insert. For example, I live near Mth. In the off-track form during the Mth meet I would typically get Bel, Mth, CD, Hol plus Pha and Del (on a Saturday). Now you just get Bel, Mth, CD and Hol, for the same $6. On track though you can get the "big form" for $6.