PDA

View Full Version : Propaganda fot Bushs' War

hcap
04-21-2009, 10:02 AM
http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2009/04/21/pulitzer/index.html

The Pulitzer-winning investigation that dare not be uttered on TV

The New York Times' David Barstow won a richly deserved Pulitzer Prize yesterday for two articles that, despite being featured as major news stories on the front page of The Paper of Record, were completely suppressed by virtually every network and cable news show, which to this day have never informed their viewers about what Bartow uncovered. Here is how the Pulitzer Committee described Barstow's exposés:

Awarded to David Barstow of The New York Times for his tenacious reporting that revealed how some retired generals, working as radio and television analysts, had been co-opted by the Pentagon to make its case for the war in Iraq, and how many of them also had undisclosed ties to companies that benefited from policies they defended.

.................................................. .............................

Ties to terrorists?
WMDs?

Bubba X
04-21-2009, 10:11 AM
Notwithstanding I believe people should be free to make money where they can, I have a big problem with retired military using their position for pay.

I don't care if it's Wesley Clark on the left or some other general on the right, I just find it wrong. All the talk about how releasing this or that piece of information about our policy/strategy decisions pales in comparison to the damage these retired generals do.

I'm sure there are tons of retired generals who do not profit from their former position despite having had differences of opinion with the president or Sec of Defense. And that is how it should be.

hcap
04-21-2009, 10:21 AM
All governments do propaganda. Particularly about war.
However this war was sold on a new grandiose scale. Massive media manipulation.

Goes to "War is too important to be left to the Generals"

delayjf
04-21-2009, 10:24 AM
Hcap,

Indeed hell has frozen over, I agree with you. I think there can be serious conflicts of interests when defense corps hire former Generals.

hcap
04-21-2009, 10:51 AM
Hell indeed has frozen over. Now that I softened you up, how about a few verses of "Kumbaya" :lol: :lol:

Tom
04-21-2009, 10:53 AM
You spelled "for" wrong.

hcap
04-21-2009, 11:55 AM
Oh great spell check master, you found a language booboo? Goodee for you.
I appreciate the edjumocation.

Where praye tell?
Sholud I have tiiped "4" imstead?
Or mabee "four"?
How's bout "fore"?

Give me a hint. Was it at least this thread?

Tom
04-21-2009, 12:43 PM
Again, that was a standard set by the wack-o left here, 46.
What foes around comes around.

I am only respecting the code of conduct and standards set over the previous 8 years.

hcap
04-21-2009, 01:18 PM
What foes around comes around.

You still have not pointed it out. Where did I spell "for" incorrectly?

jballscalls
04-21-2009, 01:30 PM
You still have not pointed it out. Where did I spell "for" incorrectly?\

in the title of the thread LOL

NJ Stinks
04-21-2009, 01:50 PM
Didn't know about this.

And people say we don't need newspapers. :rolleyes:

hcap
04-21-2009, 02:27 PM
Thanks jb

The only place I didn't look. :lol:

Lefty
04-21-2009, 02:55 PM
stinks, yeah we really need those liberal newspapers, uh huh...
If The war was just Bush propaganda then Obama could easily just call a halt to it and bring all the troops home now. But he's not. Why, since you say it's just propaganda?

stinks, the NY loberal Times is about to go broke. They borrowed a massive amt of money from a Mexican billionaire, not too long ago.
I guess people are on to their "PROPAGANDA"

JustRalph
04-21-2009, 04:42 PM
Didn't know about this.

And people say we don't need newspapers. :rolleyes:

We don't............. and I celebrate their demise......... :D

riskman
04-21-2009, 05:33 PM
We don't............. and I celebrate their demise......... :D

Yeah, who needs a free press. Well, there is always Pravda, which some of their articles would make some great skits on SNL.

Lefty
04-21-2009, 07:50 PM
riskman, we no longer have a free press, not when they carry water for a polical party; the dims. What we have is a scary closeness to Pravda.
Jeffrey Immelt controls NBC and its affliates. Now he's an economic advisor to Obama. That's arms length?BTW, this guy has lost billions for GE and he's an economic advisor to Obama? WOW!
BTW, it was NBC affloate that carried that hateful speech of Janeane Garafalo's that called everybody at the teaparties a racist. Free Press? I don thin so.

Bubba X
04-21-2009, 07:58 PM
riskman, we no longer have a free press, not when they carry water for a polical party; the dims. What we have is a scary closeness to Pravda.
Jeffrey Immelt controls NBC and its affliates. Now he's an economic advisor to Obama. That's arms length?BTW, this guy has lost billions for GE and he's an economic advisor to Obama? WOW!
BTW, it was NBC affloate that carried that hateful speech of Janeane Garafalo's that called everybody at the teaparties a racist. Free Press? I don thin so.

Well now. How about good old Rupert Murdoch?

In addition to owning FOX News (News Corp), doesn't he also own the Wall Street Journal as well as the NY Post?

Yes, of course he does. Now maybe you don't think he's a conservative? Or you're just p.o.'d that the NY Post endorsed Obama?

Tom
04-21-2009, 09:21 PM
Why in the hell would any thinking individual give a rat's patootee who a newspaper endorses? Theses are the people who bet the program picks, play the quick pick lottery......post here as libs.......:lol:

Lefty
04-21-2009, 10:58 PM
Murdoch is not in any party's pocket. He does not put people on tv with the purpose of delivering a hate speech about any leftwing group. His TV and paper does not carry the repubs water. Fox news pundits were often critical of Bush. There is no doubt the so called MSM is our version of Pravda and WSJ and Fox news are just about our only relief.
newyorkliberaltimes endorsed Obama? Nooooo...you could knock me over with a feather.

rastajenk
04-21-2009, 11:17 PM
How is this any worse than the JournoList, where Rahm coordinates the daily spin with Begala, Stephanopolis, Carville, and other network news commentators? I have no problem with retired generals talking on TV about military matters. It's better than having Katie Couric or Judy Woodruff or Cindy Sheehan talk about military matters.

ddog
04-22-2009, 12:03 AM

so your idea of a free press is they are free to deny anyone's right to speak as long as you don't agree with the speaker?

you are a riot.

hateful speech?
I didn't hear it or care to but i bet as bad or worse is available every day.
you are a riot.

ddog
04-22-2009, 12:06 AM
Hcap,

Indeed hell has frozen over, I agree with you. I think there can be serious conflicts of interests when defense corps hire former Generals.

some of them are just as bad as the regular K street crowd.

It's not good when you have the inside track to the old guys and your paycheck rides on getting the deal done no matter the benefit to the country.

ddog
04-22-2009, 12:09 AM
How is this any worse than the JournoList, where Rahm coordinates the daily spin with Begala, Stephanopolis, Carville, and other network news commentators? I have no problem with retired generals talking on TV about military matters. It's better than having Katie Couric or Judy Woodruff or Cindy Sheehan talk about military matters.

it's worse because they come on with their status as former military guys in the know and use that to shill for whoever is paying their freight and no it's not normally the networks.

if they had to disclose their boards and orgs they are connected with now then i am fine with it.

to equate the ramblings of some airhead newstype and retired military commanders is ludicrous.

NJ Stinks
04-22-2009, 01:12 AM
Murdoch is not in any party's pocket. He does not put people on tv with the purpose of delivering a hate speech about any leftwing group. His TV and paper does not carry the repubs water. Fox news pundits were often critical of Bush. There is no doubt the so called MSM is our version of Pravda and WSJ and Fox news are just about our only relief.
newyorkliberaltimes endorsed Obama? Nooooo...you could knock me over with a feather.

Unfortunately, I buy the NY Post for it's racing section and Phil Mushnik. Lefty, in 8 years they couldn't find a decent picture of Bill Clinton. And the pictures of Hillary are and were even worse. (When the picture is really bad, it is usually a Post photographer getting the credit. :rolleyes: )

The NY Post on Sunday had a picture of Obama and Chavez shaking hands with the word 'Amigos!" in large bold type above them on the front page. Inside on the first page in the editorial section was the headline "Residents flee as NY ranks last for 2009 economic outlook". Not one iota of stats to back up claims that New Yorkers were leaving but they highlighted 2 guys that said they were leaving and talked a bit about people leaving CA. Of course the lead editorial blasted Janet Napolitano and provided Obama with all the advice he "needs" in dealing with Janet.

I could go on but I may as well stop now except to say Murdoch will and does anything he can to get the message out that taxes and Dems are bad so please don't take any money from me. :(

And Bubba X, the NY Post endorsed McCain in against Obama.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/09082008/postopinion/editorials/post_endorses_john_mccain_128044.htm

But they did endorse Obama against Clinton in the Dem primary. If you can call this an endorsement.:rolleyes: I you want a good laugh, Lefty, by all means read it:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01302008/postopinion/editorials/post_endorses_barack_obama_813218.htm

Lefty
04-22-2009, 01:17 AM
dog, boy you like to put words in a guy's mouth. It's not right for a news organization to carry water for any political party. How the hell do you interpret that i'm against speech that doesn't agree with me. The MSN is no longer objective, pure and simple.
Do not comment on garafalo's hate speech until you hear it. Then get back to me and tell me i'm a riot.
If you have heard the msm news comment on the tea parties, then you will realize it's them that's against free speech that doesn't agree with them and the dims.

PaceAdvantage
04-22-2009, 01:58 AM
Unfortunately, I buy the NY Post for it's racing section and Phil Mushnik. Lefty, in 8 years they couldn't find a decent picture of Bill Clinton. And the pictures of Hillary are and were even worse. (When the picture is really bad, it is usually a Post photographer getting the credit. :rolleyes: ) Funny, I used to know someone who worked at Newsday, and I said the same exact thing to them about BUSH...they could NEVER find a normal picture of him...always the slightly goofy or crazy or angry or whatever...(yeah, I know...you're going to tell me no normal pictures of him exist).

And Bubba X, the NY Post endorsed McCain in against Obama.I knew he had to be wrong there...no way in hell the Post would endorse Obama in the general election.