PDA

View Full Version : RCI Amends and Toughens Model Rules

takeout
04-21-2009, 07:00 AM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/50319/rci-amends-and-toughens-model-rules?id=50319&source=rss

The Association of Racing Commissioners International Model Rules Committee approved changes to existing model rules in an effort to crack down on suspended trainers transferring horses to family members or close associates during their time of suspension.
[snip]
The committee also addressed rules pertaining to pre-race exams; veterinarian’s list; official veterinarian duties; safety vest standards; traction device definition; microchips and freeze brands; horseshoe inspector duties; transfer of ownership; horse registration certificates; transfer of claimed horses; and weight penalties.

The committee recommended rule changes will now be forwarded to the full RCI membership for consideration April 23. If approved by the full membership, the full-text rules can be found on the ARCI Web site at www.arci.com.
[snip]

Comment: This looks like a good step in the right direction. Hope the rules have some teeth and that they are approved.

wildcats
04-21-2009, 07:05 AM
until they also penalize the owners i don't think it will do any good
to suspend trainers. i think racing needs a national commission to
oversee all racing venues to make any difference.

Relwob Owner
04-21-2009, 07:28 AM
oversee all racing venues to make any difference.

Could not agree more about suspending the owners, although even if they did that, which I doubt, the owners would then come up with a way to "hand off" the horses the way the trainers do now...

takeout
04-21-2009, 08:19 AM
oversee all racing venues to make any difference.Totally agree. Racing sorely needs national rules.

How about also suspending the horse? That way NO ONE starts it again until the suspension is over.

wildcats
04-21-2009, 09:25 AM
takeout

i agree with suspending the horse too.

Imriledup
04-21-2009, 04:22 PM
I think the owner needs to be suspended for using a trainer who cheats. With no punishment to the owner, that gives him free reign to give his horses to the trainer who just happens to be the 'flavor of the month'.

With owner suspension and licenses getting revoked, it will make owners responsible to not give their horses to cheaters.

In the military, if one cadet messes up, they make ALL the cadets do pushups. We need owners doing 'pushups' if their trainers mess up.

takeout
04-24-2009, 04:07 PM
RCI Rule Toughens Trainer Suspensions
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/50384/rci-rule-toughens-trainer-suspensions?id=50384&source=rss

[snip]
Under the model rule, trainers suspended more than 30 days are required to notify their owners of the suspension and can’t have any contact with their horses or office personnel during the suspension.
[snip]

Comment: That’s it? Fooled me again. I remain underwhelmed.

Relwob Owner
04-24-2009, 04:22 PM
I think the owner needs to be suspended for using a trainer who cheats. With no punishment to the owner, that gives him free reign to give his horses to the trainer who just happens to be the 'flavor of the month'.

With owner suspension and licenses getting revoked, it will make owners responsible to not give their horses to cheaters.

In the military, if one cadet messes up, they make ALL the cadets do pushups. We need owners doing 'pushups' if their trainers mess up.

I agree wholehartedly....the kickback you get, though, is from owners who have multiple trainers that they use...they will say that one bad trainer shouldnt shut down their whole operation(as if they dont know about what is really going on....). I think suspending the horse seems like the best way to do it and avoid a bunch of litigation by owners....

takeout
04-24-2009, 05:23 PM
I don’t think owners should be able to use multiple trainers. It’s just another big loophole you can drive a truck though. You get one trainer. When he gets suspended that’s it. NONE of the horses run until his suspension is over. If the owner doesn’t like it he can get a new trainer but not until it’s over. That would at least slow down some of the shenanigans.

senortout
04-24-2009, 05:30 PM
Yes, but can't you also envision a time when....

no horses to run

no owners to purchase new ones

or something to that effect?

In other words, be careful what you wish for....

kenwoodallpromos
04-24-2009, 06:18 PM
Trainers are the business managers, owners the executives. Don't penalize the trainer or owner, penalize the stable. By loss of stabling, giving clean stables weight off. If the owners want a 4lb disadvantage and all their runners, trainer, and stablehands living and stabled off track, so be it. Fine the trainer 60% of the total purse. If you play dirty, you might get muddy!
There are like over 100 trainers ast each track, many clean like Tom Schell. Pick one!

takeout
04-24-2009, 06:18 PM
I hear you. But if (when?) racing dies I don’t think it will be because it was being run too honestly.

What you say must be the conventional wisdom though. How else to explain why they won’t clean the game up some by closing some of these loopholes? They must be afraid of the very things you mention. The game works against itself from top to bottom. :bang:

kenwoodallpromos
04-24-2009, 06:35 PM
I hear you. But if (when?) racing dies I don’t think it will be because it was being run too honestly.

What you say must be the conventional wisdom though. How else to explain why they won’t clean the game up some by closing some of these loopholes? They must be afraid of the very things you mention. The game works against itself from top to bottom. :bang:
Racing is run day-to-day by people who do not care to connect with anyone outside racing. They're the big shots on campus who smile but never wave, the ones who protect paticipants in a dying sport like the boy in the bubble. They have little clue hoe the outside world thinks. They chuck and jive their way through. They intentionally foster confusion and in-fighting. They drag out rulings when they have instant control in some other way. The 1-race a year sponsor, Yum Foods, who they give year-long publicity to, is the entitiy PETA hates most.