PDA

View Full Version : Donnaguska

michiken
04-20-2009, 04:25 PM
Donnaguska, the super closer from Hawthorne will be racing today 4-20 at Indianna Downs.

Entered in R6 - 6 furlong allowance.

toussaud
04-20-2009, 04:33 PM
i remember the first time i saw this one close. freight train. I thought i was on to something the next race, M/L odds like at 10 to 1. the public was way to smart for that

Market Mover
04-20-2009, 04:52 PM
She's better sprinting. That "tremendous rally late" in her debut was also visually enhanced by the dueling leaders who fell apart as cheap speed usually does...they obviously thought enough of her to put up 17K when Yonaguska's listed for 4K fee...Track's wet today and that Slew blood helps...but does Ind favor closers when it's wet? I've seen too many of these front runners at this oval get brave on the lead and go gate to wire...

One thing's for sure: that announcer will have the perfect setup opportunity to yell out (unnecessarily but exceedingly loud tone) "ZOOOOOMMMING BYYYYYY"...if she fires....

ryesteve
04-20-2009, 05:10 PM
She's better sprinting. That "tremendous rally late" in her debut was also visually enhanced by the dueling leaders who fell apart as cheap speed usually does...
She did the last quarter in 21 and change. When else have you ever seen anything like that? No need to minimize it with the "cheap speed" comment. If you ever see another horse run a final quarter that fast, it's going to look visually impressive no matter what the speed up front is doing.

toussaud
04-20-2009, 05:12 PM
they need to bred her to ready's echo and create the ultimate closer.

menifee
04-20-2009, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Had a nice place/show bet on her and had the exacta a few times.

michiken
04-20-2009, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Had a nice place/show bet on her and had the exacta a few times.

You are welcome! I decided not to go to the track today because it's raining cats and dogs here.... :bang:

cmoore
04-20-2009, 08:10 PM
She did the last quarter in 21 and change. When else have you ever seen anything like that? No need to minimize it with the "cheap speed" comment. If you ever see another horse run a final quarter that fast, it's going to look visually impressive no matter what the speed up front is doing.

It was a 123 late pace figure...You don't find late pace figs like that on the turf...

Market Mover
04-20-2009, 10:29 PM
Agreed, truly fast indeed. The key in that debut was the jock allowing her to settle and barely asking her to do anything early. She basically had an unimpeded 2 furlong running start workout. But note that nothing good came out of her debut...it was a very weak maiden field...

And so today in her sloppy-speed-favoring Ind Downs opening day card unveiling, she was rightfully used a bit earlier to gain that stalking position. It took some kick out of that ":21" closing punch, and she lost to a horse who got first run on her. I don't disagree with the ride, as the jock knew deep closers were not going to get there in that Ind slop. He rode the race appropriately, but the 2 horse had the loaded run ready when angled out. I was quite surprised at Donnaguska's off odds, as I thought she'd be one of the choices and a sure underlay...but 8-1? That procession of medium shots yielded a short superfecta in my opinion, unless someone leveraged her in the key boxes...

Market Mover
04-20-2009, 10:33 PM
I was watching the exacta will pays and the winner and Donnaguska clicked down from about 133 w five min. left to whatever it paid (122?). I was surprised it paid more with Donnaguska in the second slot. Sometimes it's best to box these confirmed closers, but then again it's okay to leverage them in the place position too. I thought it was a quite generous exacta payout...

cmoore
04-20-2009, 10:34 PM
Agreed, truly fast indeed. The key in that debut was the jock allowing her to settle and barely asking her to do anything early. She basically had an unimpeded 2 furlong running start workout. But note that nothing good came out of her debut...it was a very weak maiden field...

And so today in her sloppy-speed-favoring Ind Downs opening day card unveiling, she was rightfully used a bit earlier to gain that stalking position. It took some kick out of that ":21" closing punch, and she lost to a horse who got first run on her. I don't disagree with the ride, as the jock knew deep closers were not going to get there in that Ind slop. He rode the race appropriately, but the 2 horse had the loaded run ready when angled out. I was quite surprised at Donnaguska's off odds, as I thought she'd be one of the choices and a sure underlay...but 8-1? That procession of medium shots yielded a short superfecta in my opinion, unless someone leveraged her in the key boxes...

I hit that races 10 cents super in the pick thread...I keyed the 239 1st and 2nd..I also flat bet the 9 at that price..A definite overlay..

Market Mover
04-20-2009, 10:58 PM
Great play. I thought the super would have paid much more than it did, but then again it was an entirely full field. The leverage on Donnaguska was expected, but I don't think many wanted to use the 2 or 4...

JustRalph
02-26-2011, 03:18 AM
she will have a little pace to run at too........

JustRalph
05-12-2011, 01:44 AM
Running at 5k in the 5th at CD on Thursday

Mr_Ed
05-12-2011, 03:24 AM

Who can forget her classic debut.

23 1/4 lengths out with 2 furlongs to go..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&hl=iw&v=mO6vm7TIvrI

Chart:

http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbPDFChartPlus.cfm?BORP=P&STYLE=EQB&DAY=D&tid=HAW&dt=10/23/2008&ctry=USA&race=8

Mr_Ed
05-13-2011, 04:00 AM

Finished 2nd........got claimed.

Good luck to Donnagusko, and her new connections.