PDA

View Full Version : Mullins ruling

joanied
04-19-2009, 10:54 AM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/50296/trainer-mullins-suspended-seven-days

What does he care...he's in Kentucky now and the fine is pretty much pocket change...but, at least it's more than a good talkin' to.

andymays
04-19-2009, 12:17 PM
He got the $2500 fine plus 7 days! I think it's appropriate.

If we want to make it tougher on people who violate this rule in the future I say $5000 and 30 days for the 1st offense!

cj
04-19-2009, 12:23 PM
Wasn't this his 419th offense though?

kenwoodallpromos
04-19-2009, 12:29 PM
Who trusts NY detention barns or Mullins anywhere?
That is $2,500.00 and 7 days if you are unlucky enough to get caught cheating in a major stakes race, then you are protected to run in major stakes races.
You can quote me "If you are cheating in detention barns and get caught, I would call you an idiot"

kenwoodallpromos
04-19-2009, 12:42 PM
The trainer of the possible Kentucky Derby favorite I Want Revenge was not licensed in Kentucky when he was at Churchill Downs on Tuesday during the horse’s workout, which the executive director of the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission said led to a violation of the state’s racing rules.

Jeff Mullins, the trainer of the Wood Memorial winner, acknowledged in a phone interview today he didn’t have a Kentucky license but said that the commission’s licensing office wasn’t open when he was on the Churchill backside.

Commission executive director Lisa Underwood said whether the office was open or not “he had some other opportunities,” to be licensed, Underwood said, including mailing in an application in advance or going to the commission’s Lexington office.

Underwood said that Mullins was required to submit an application for a license within 24 hours of his arrival at Churchill

joanied
04-19-2009, 01:00 PM
Wasn't this his 419th offense though?

Prob'ly:lol:

Did ya read kenwoods post...good stuff.
This guy has got to be a complete moron...my big question is how on earth:confused: did he get a horse like I Want Revenge in his barn...

Relwob Owner
04-19-2009, 01:19 PM
Who trusts NY detention barns or Mullins anywhere?
That is $2,500.00 and 7 days if you are unlucky enough to get caught cheating in a major stakes race, then you are protected to run in major stakes races.
You can quote me "If you are cheating in detention barns and get caught, I would call you an idiot"

Yep, it underlines the biggest problem in all these layered, political committees that get together and come up with the new rules and policies that lead to no change....the problem is ENFORCEMENT....you can have all the rules you want but if people keep getting off so easy on punishments, there is no incentive to stop breaking the rules...looks like Mullins will have now violated rules at Churchill and Aqueduct back to back and there will be no real consequences....he is probably having a good old laugh right now....

kenwoodallpromos
04-19-2009, 01:23 PM
What KY Jelly product is Mullins mulling over to scre_ the bettors and board for the Derby? KY says there is a range of penalties for his recent violation for working a (Derby) horse while Mullins was present and unlicensed. I'll bet!
Of course, He is already got lots of excuses lined up for the KY board.
But NY? done deal- $2,500.00 and 7 day suspension (in each individual state?) Around the big races for getting caught, Hundreds of thousands in winnings if not caught in big races. That is the kind of non-idiotic betting Mullins likes to do!
I'm an idiot for wondering why trainers and owners do not want centralized control of racing!
Anyone know why Mullins is not licensed in KY?

kenwoodallpromos
04-19-2009, 01:34 PM
Jeff Mullins, trainer of possible Kentucky Derby favorite I Want Revenge, received his Kentucky racing license today, said state steward John Veitch.

On Thursday, Lisa Underwood, executive director of the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission, said it was a violation for Mullins to be at Churchill Downs Tuesday morning for I Want Revenge's workout before returning to California.

"His assistant came over and paid the fee and he faxed us the form," Veitch said at Keeneland. "There will be no action taken about him not having his license when he was here to work his horse."

Asked if every other out-of-town trainer on the grounds with a Derby horse was licensed, Veitch said an investigator today contacted horsemen to make sure they were licensed and that regulators will do that daily.

Veitch said Kentucky regulations state that trainers have 24 hours to apply for a license after they arrive on the grounds. *****He said Mullins made a "concerted effort," and called it a "mix up."

"In a case like this, he was there for four hours," he said. *****"He wasn't aware the license office was open."

Veitch acknowledged that the regulation isn't always practical.

"We try to get everybody (licensed) quickly and notify them when they're not," he said"
______
Gee, a trainer that doesn't "know" the rules and doesn't care enough to walk over to the racing office.
To quote Mullins " :lol: :p :rolleyes:"

Relwob Owner
04-19-2009, 01:41 PM
What KY Jelly product is Mullins mulling over to scre_ the bettors and board for the Derby? KY says there is a range of penalties for his recent violation for working a (Derby) horse while Mullins was present and unlicensed. I'll bet!
But NY? done deal- $2,500.00 and 7 day suspension (in each individual state?) Around the big races for getting caught, Hundreds of thousands in winnings if not caught in big races. That is the kind of non-idiotic betting Mullins likes to do!
I'm an idiot for wondering why trainers and owners do not want centralized control of racing!

Dont know why other than general ignorance...this is what really gets me...there has been such a push to clean up the sport, especially from Kentucky and this would be the PERFECT time to send a message...plus, Mullins is from California so NY and KY could send a message to him and not have to worry about him being permanently around either...as always, they wont just enough to have no real impact on anything

kenwoodallpromos
04-19-2009, 01:44 PM
Dont know why other than general ignorance...this is what really gets me...there has been such a push to clean up the sport, especially from Kentucky and this would be the PERFECT time to send a message...plus, Mullins is from California so NY and KY could send a message to him and not have to worry about him being permanently around either...as always, they wont just enough to have no real impact on anything
From the Paulick report, IRC- (does not include latest):
http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/mullins-no-stranger-to-controversy/
The violation in connection with the Derby pre-favorite was th 29th since 1986; largest fine for any of the first 27 was $1,000.00.
$2,500.00 is enough? Yeh, right!

matthewsiv
04-19-2009, 03:13 PM
This is a :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sandpit
04-19-2009, 03:58 PM

yep, because the day Mullins arrived at CD the Racing Commission office was CLOSED, and was for a few days afterwards. They have a satellite office in the Churchill Racing Office, and the place is sporadically open until about a week before the meet starts. Like several trainers on the grounds said to me the other day, the whole thing is a joke. You can take a walk through the Keeneland barn area, anybody can since there is no fence around the place. You will find hundreds of unlicensed people, both those associated with horses and those not, roaming around. I'm not a Mullins apologist by any means, but this is a case of some reporter making an issue out of nothing.

joanied
04-19-2009, 05:08 PM
I would still like for someone to explain to me how in :confused: hell Mullins got IWR in the first place...I swear, I'd rather have seen IEAH put him with Dutrow after the buy...for all Dutrow might be, Mullins turns my tummy inside out:faint:

GlenninOhio
04-19-2009, 05:16 PM
I would still like for someone to explain to me how in :confused: hell Mullins got IWR in the first place...I swear, I'd rather have seen IEAH put him with Dutrow after the buy...for all Dutrow might be, Mullins turns my tummy inside out:faint:

My understanding is that Mullins as trainer was written into the sales contract by the seller.

joanied
04-19-2009, 05:31 PM
My understanding is that Mullins as trainer was written into the sales contract by the seller.

No surprise there...stupid, but no surprise. I don't know anything about Mr. Lanzman...evidently he must have other horses with Mullins...and I just don't get it...besides being what I'd call a 'DUH" guy...without looking it up, I don't think Mullins is even a good trainer?

andymays
04-19-2009, 06:40 PM
Mullins is an outstanding Trainer. Maybe a knucklehead but this guy can train.

onefast99
04-19-2009, 07:35 PM
So what owner gets to pay the Mullins penalty?

matthewsiv
04-19-2009, 07:47 PM

Is one better than the other?

:bang: :bang: :bang:

Brogan
04-19-2009, 08:09 PM
Two things I'd like to point out:

The Mullins suspension begins AFTER the Derby...so NY came down HARD on him? What a joke.

The KY licensing matter is a non-issue...happens routinely and I do mean routinely.

andymays
04-19-2009, 08:57 PM
Just so people know I have a buddy who sits behind Mullins at Del Mar and I also know several people that know him.

He never bets. He never touts his horses. Often his owners and friends will bet the wrong horse if he has two or more entries in the race.

He's a quiet guy that drinks beers and stays cool. Not flamboyant at all.

I would bet that if most here knew him they would like him. Maybe a knucklehead at times.

Relwob Owner
04-19-2009, 08:59 PM
Just so people know I have a buddy who sits behind Mullins at Del Mar and I also know several people that know him.

He never bets. He never touts his horses. Often his owners and friends will bet the wrong horse if he has two or more entries in the race.

He's a quiet guy that drinks beers and stays cool. Not flamboyant at all.

I would bet that if most here knew him they would like him. Maybe a knucklehead at times.

Honestly, I am not concerned with how nice he is.....I am concerned with how often he breaks the rules......

andymays
04-19-2009, 09:01 PM
Honestly, I am not concerned with how nice he is.....I am concerned with how often he breaks the rules......

There is a record of the number of times he has broken the rules and the penalty for each fine!

Would you want him banned from racing?

Relwob Owner
04-19-2009, 09:06 PM
There is a record of the number of times he has broken the rules and the penalty for each fine!

Would you want him banned from racing?

Never said that_I know you love the guy and I have no interest in getting into yet another discussion about trainers that break the rules....I am well aware of his record....he has violated the rules, doesnt stop doing it, thats it...

The point I was making is that your contention that he is a "laid back guy" who people would probably like has no place in any discussion or argument, thats all.

andymays
04-19-2009, 09:09 PM
The tone of the people who are against him is overwhelmingly hostile. I am not singling you out though.

It just seems like if your gonna get rid of Mullins then you might as well get rid of Dutrow, Sadler, Wolfson, and on and on and on.

My point is at what point do we say that we should just shut it all down?

Relwob Owner
04-19-2009, 09:20 PM
The tone of the people who are against him is overwhelmingly hostile. I am not singling you out though.

It just seems like if your gonna get rid of Mullins then you might as well get rid of Dutrow, Sadler, Wolfson, and on and on and on.

My point is at what point do we say that we should just shut it all down?

I think the hostility comes from people who, like myself, are just tired of the lack of enforcement that exists and the fact that there really seems to be little reason for any trainer to be afraid of getting caught....I think the hostility towards Mullins comes from things he has said about how he views horses and how he views the betting public...also the fact that his New York infraction was just so obvious.....

You are right on the mark about all the other trainers....my two cents is that these issues will continue to exist until someone steps up and really nails a trainer with something substantial and I dont see that happening

andymays
04-19-2009, 09:25 PM
Getting back to the "idiot" comment. I know that he was referring to the unpredicatability of horse racing combined with the fact that there is anywhere from a 15% take to 30% take.

Believe me that's what he meant to say. This guy isn't some professional spokesperson by any means.

By any standards anyone playing into a take like Horse Racing has to be considered foolish. Me included!

Saratoga_Mike
04-19-2009, 09:27 PM
Getting back to the "idiot" comment. I know that he was referring to the unpredicatability of horse racing combined with the fact that there is anywhere from a 15% take to 30% take.

Believe me that's what he meant to say. This guy isn't some professional spokesperson by any means.

By any standards anyone playing into a take like Horse Racing has to be considered foolish. Me included!

How do you know what he meant to say? Do you know Mr Mullins? Is there a press report clarifying the comment with your explanation? If so, please post it. I'd love to see it. Thanks.

andymays
04-19-2009, 09:31 PM
How do you know what he meant to say? Do you know Mr Mullins? Is there a press report clarifying the comment with your explanation? If so, please post it. I'd love to see it. Thanks.

I think if you look at my previous postings you'd know that I have met him and know numerous people that are close with him.

The public perception of him is way off!

PaceAdvantage
04-19-2009, 11:18 PM
The public perception of him is way off!Does he care?

kenwoodallpromos
04-20-2009, 02:31 AM

Look it up- he said it becuase he bet for 1 year and lost!
Office closed- remind me again how his assistant got him a license by fax without him having to be at the track, and how long ago IWR earned a spot in the Derby? Office must have been closed for weeks!LOL!

kenwoodallpromos
04-20-2009, 02:52 AM
Look it up- he said it becuase he bet for 1 year and lost!
Office closed- remind me again how his assistant got him a license by fax without him having to be at the track, and how long ago IWR earned a spot in the Derby? Office must have been closed for weeks!LOL!
My apologies- Mullins said he does not bet. From the original 2005 LA Times article:
"all the addicts and idiots crying because they lost a $2 bet," and then demanding a level playing field, there will never be a level playing field"..."If you bet on horses, I would call you an idiot,"..."I train to win and that's all I care about. It's not my problem [if the general public is deceived]. They ought to bring in slot machines, then we could run our horses and make a living without worrying about some crybaby calling the stewards and raising a fit."
_________
Based on his record, the only disagreement I have with these excerpts from his interview is that it was not some crybaby that cause the last 2 violations- it was the officials catching him red-handed at and prepping for 2 big stakes races!

hracingplyr
04-20-2009, 08:15 AM
Reported today in the St Pete times that trainer Jeff Mullins was suspended for 7 days and fined 2,500 by the New York Racing Racing and wagering board on sunday for giving onw of his horses medication before a race at Aqueduct. (2,500 oh hurt me) and they wonder why young adults are flocking to poker and blackjack tables.

Bob