PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Scott Lake?

Whitehos
07-22-2001, 03:42 PM
The few horses that Scott Lake has entered the last few days have been scratched. Something has happened!
I am aware of his unusual training methods and other claiming quirks. However I have been buying groceries for the last 2 years from his horses. Any information would be appreciated.
Whitehos

4thandlong
07-22-2001, 04:06 PM
He got 15 days for drugs.

http://washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/sports/leaguesandsports/horseracing/A23530-2001Jul19.html

Barchyman
07-22-2001, 05:03 PM
The DRF said that his assistants will be taking over and will be shown as the listed trainers (Washington Post article almost made it sound like he'd be turning over to other trainers already out on their own).

Gave the names for 3 main locations:

NY - Gerald Brooks
Philly - Steve Krebs
Maryland - Tim Hooper

Tom

Whitehos
07-22-2001, 05:09 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Hard to believe a guy like Lake would use anything but oats and hay...LOL
Whitehos

Figman
07-22-2001, 06:06 PM
Scott Lake will be back Aug.3rd or 4th. NY has the best testing program in the country and it's located at Cornell University. Unfortunately, only NY uses this test facility.

Most labs test an overwhelming majority of medications in urine only and a paltry few in blood. I believe one of the factors in finding Lake's illegal clenbuterol use is that it was found in the blood sample too.

The technology is getting good as minute amounts can be found as has been reported. What has not been reported are these two important factors:
1. A good lab can tell when the drug was administered within a few hour timeframe. (And most state base their rules on 24 hrs, 48 hrs "out" from the race. Clenbuterol in NY is a "seven day drug."

2. Equal amounts of every drug DO NOT have equal effects on the horse. The press NEVER reports this fact.

hurrikane
07-23-2001, 07:57 AM
This is a shame.

A great trainer...every time I"m at the track some jerk is bitching that Lake uses juice and pays off the stewards and he should be kicked out of racing. Now I'll have to listen the the jerks saying this is proof when all it is is proof he used a drug approved by the racing commision but not in the prescribed manner.

I frankly don't see how any of this is good for racing. I believe Karl made a point to do the testing before the race. I am inclined to agree. Testing afterwards just makes people feel cheated.

Whitehos
07-23-2001, 09:16 AM
The biggest problem using any medication in racing is that every animinal (including humans) metabolize at different rates. What may leave the system of one horse within 7 days may take longer in others.
A pharmasist friend assured me many years ago that clembuterol would completely metabolize within 3 days. He proved right on the particular horse that I raced 3 times within 10 days .

karlskorner
07-23-2001, 09:31 AM
Hurrikane;

The welfare of the animal is at stake here. Either Zero Tolerance is adhered to or chaos reigns. A "little bit" of this or that can easily turn into "a lot" of' this or that. if you bend the rules.

I agree "it's a shame" that leading trainers keep making the headlines, giving the public more reasons to question the honesty of this business, however, an inch beomes a mile and there will always be some trainer pushing the envelope just a bit further.

What has bothered me, as noted in my past posts, is that the "candy store" is run by the VET and yet they are never suspended, fined or ruled off the track.

Karl

Whitehos
07-23-2001, 10:11 AM
Karl,
You are right about the vets, however they do get ruled off. I personally know of 2 that have been ruled off and had their license suspended.
Whitehos