PDA

View Full Version : Emerald Downs: Change for the bettor

Hajck Hillstrom
04-18-2009, 11:53 AM
After watching the opening night's festivities from Auburn Washington, I just wanted to take a minute to show how a subtle change can make all the difference in how a track approaches its fan base.

For the last few years, it had been my contention that EMD had a flaw in their wagering format. EMD usually runs an eight race card, with the early Pik4 starting in the second race. This would create an overlap in the fifth race as the concluding leg of the early Pik4 and the initial leg of the late Pik4.

I presented to the powers-that-be (not naming names), on numerous occasions (in writing), that this format might be adversely effecting the handle, that if the Pik4's were split, they would have a larger pool in the late Pik4.

I was told, in no uncertain terms, to live with it. My response was "I'll live with it, but I certainly won't bet it," and proceeded to boycott the wager at EMD.

This year, Emerald Downs has shuffled some of their administrative personel, and they received a similar missive from a fan of the sport in the off season. The new administration, in concert with long time media relations director Joe Withee, initiated the simple change of creating split Pik4's.

The illustration I am trying to make is that when a racetrack listens to its fanbase, and initiates positive change, everyone benefits.

A hearty salute to Adrian Buchan, the new Director of Marketing at EMD, and the administrative staff at Emerald Downs for taking the track down a new and exciting path. I look for good things from Emerald Downs this season, as the energy is strong, the perspective positive, and the direction finally going the right way.

Hajck Hillstrom
04-18-2009, 12:11 PM
administrative personelThat should have read administrative personnel.

Bubba X
04-18-2009, 12:20 PM
Emerald is a really nice track. I was there for a couple hours 6-7 years ago. Low takeout, great scenery. Did they ever put in a turf course?

Hajck Hillstrom
04-18-2009, 12:54 PM
Did they ever put in a turf course?If you look at the infield, there is a configuration of what appears could be a 7furlong turf course, but it has yet to be installed. It is a shame too, as the marketing potential of the "Emerald Turf" course in the shadow of Mt. Rainier would definitely move the track forward and upward. It would be a tremendous venue July - September, as the lack of precipitation would make the course manageable.

jballscalls
04-18-2009, 12:58 PM
If you look at the infield, there is a configuration of what appears could be a 7furlong turf course, but it has yet to be installed. It is a shame too, as the marketing potential of the "Emerald Turf" course in the shadow of Mt. Rainier would definitely move the track forward and upward. It would be a tremendous venue July - September, as the lack of precipitation would make the course manageable.

Robert Gellar told me that when he took the job at Emerald they told him a turf course would be installed within a couple years, alas 14 years later he's still waiting to call his first turf race in america LOL It probably has to do with either money or the fact that emerald sits on swamp land???

I went to Opening day last night and they had a really big crowd, biggest i've seen on opening night there ever and i've been to most of them.

And i agree with you, that Adrian is doing a great job and will continue to do a great job.

strapper
04-18-2009, 07:05 PM
Emerald is one of my fav tracks to play. I highly recommend it, in fact.

Track Collector
04-18-2009, 11:23 PM
Just read that for this year they raised their General Admission from $5 to $7. This is pretty expensive for such a low level track. :ThmbDown:

jballscalls
04-19-2009, 12:01 PM
Just read that for this year they raised their General Admission from $5 to $7. This is pretty expensive for such a low level track. :ThmbDown:

if you join their rewards card which is free it knocks it down to 5 bucks, plus they have lots of multi ticket packs that save even more money.

What got me is the price of a bottled water went from $2 to $2.50.

As much as i hate admission charges of any kind, emerald does do a lot for their patrons. they have a very large guest services department, they do tons of giveaways, and on the weekends have a huge area that is dedicated to a children's play area.

trying2win
04-19-2009, 04:32 PM
I enjoy playing Emerald Downs. I usually skip the first couple of weeks. As I recall, a lot of the horses don't go south for the winter, so I like to see a lot of these laid off horses have a start first.

I wouldn't call it low takeouts across the board at Emerald Downs, but reasonable compared to all the other tracks across the USA and Canada. Rather I'd say, Emerald Downs is in the lower part for straight bets...middle-of-the-road for the gimmick takeouts. Thank you to Emerald Downs for keeping the takeouts on a reasonable basis, but keep working towards what Keeneland's takeout levels are on gimmicks.

http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/static.cgi?page=trktkout&header=off

As for the $7.00 for admission :ThmbDown:. Too much in my opinion, especially in this economy.

Anyone know why PTC isn't carrying Emerald Downs so far? Has Emerald Downs got a bunch of greedy, militant horsemen who joined groups like the THGS, and thus have set forth a bunch of unreasonable demands? Oh well, if I can't bet Emerald Downs through an ADW like PTC, I can always use an offshore racebook.

T2W

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
~"A propensity to hope and joy is real riches: one to fear and sorrow is real poverty.'

--David Hume

richrosa
04-19-2009, 07:07 PM
Easily one of the best tracks to visit. I make sure that whenever I am in Portland or Seattle, I got to EMD and take a red-eye home.

Imriledup
04-19-2009, 09:56 PM
This original post sums up in a nutshell why racing is way behind the 8 ball. The 'suits' don't listen to the most educated fans. When the higher ups got the letter from HH they probably just laughed it off, but didn't realize that a serious horseplayer such as HH has forgotten more about the game than they'll ever know. There are horseplayers out there who make a living at this game. Most of those pro's are people who racetracks should listen to. They should take suggestions very seriously, especially when the suggestion is going to make them money.

deathandgravity
04-20-2009, 09:13 AM
I asked about the turf course when I was there a couple months ago looking to roll my 401K into something a little more stable then the market. (Race Horse!)

I was told it was a simple matter of $$$ & EMD didn't feel they would attract enough quality turf horses.
It's a shame - I would love to see Turf racing @ EMD. Hell.. if TUP & TAM can pull it off, why not EMD?

macguy
04-20-2009, 02:13 PM
If you are a regular at Emerald Downs and want to avoid the admission charges, you can purchase a membership at the Washington Thoroughbred Breeders Association for $150/year.

For $150 you get free admission to Emerald all season for you and one guest, as well as a few other nice things like the WTBA magazine "Washington Thoroughbred."

You do not have to be an owner, breeder or trainer, membership is open to everyone. You do not even need to be a resident of Washington state.

You can get all the sign up info at their website:
http://www.washingtonthoroughbred.com

It's a pretty good deal, especially if you're going to the track on a regular basis.

jballscalls
04-20-2009, 02:50 PM
This original post sums up in a nutshell why racing is way behind the 8 ball. The 'suits' don't listen to the most educated fans. When the higher ups got the letter from HH they probably just laughed it off, but didn't realize that a serious horseplayer such as HH has forgotten more about the game than they'll ever know. There are horseplayers out there who make a living at this game. Most of those pro's are people who racetracks should listen to. They should take suggestions very seriously, especially when the suggestion is going to make them money.

i agree with this to a point. the problem is, having worked at a racetrack for a couple years now, i've gotten advice and ideas from lots of people, some are great suggestions, and some are the most ludicrous ideas of alltime. I'm sure people in all aspects of business get unsolicited emails telling them how to run their business.

I very much disagree that tracks don't listen to their serious players. I know here at Portland i talk to all of our high end players on an almost daily basis and have certainly put some of their ideas into play, some with great results, some with poor results.

kingfin66
04-21-2009, 01:54 AM
....but they still have some work to do.

Raising the admission price this year was, in my opinion, a terrible business idea. Yes, it is true that Emerald Reward members can still get in for $5. Is that something to get excited about? Bettors should not have to pay for the right to gamble. Period.

Emerald Downs needs to remember that they are in the parimutuel wagering business, not the food business. More fans equals more betting and yes Ron Crockett, more hot dogs and Pepsis sold. In a time where every dollar bet is extremely important, Emerald (and every track) should be doing everything possible to keep their existing fan base as well as bring in new fans. Raising ticket prices does not accomplish either.

On the plus side, Emerald Downs does focus heavily on their live racing product. They have an excellent media relations director and track announcer in Joe Withee and Robert Geller respectively. Both are also outstanding people. I agree that Adrian Buchan will do an excellent job in his new position.

Emerald Downs makes a family friendly environment. The trick will be in getting those families out to the track this summer. Emerald is expecting a decline in handle this year and has already announced purse cuts for this season. I really hope they can weather the storm. The purses weren't that great to begin with.

I don't believe that there will ever be a turf course in Auburn. As was mentioned before, the track is built on wetlands. Give Crockett credit for getting the track built. I don't think he could pull it off if he tried to do it now. It would cost a bundle of money to install the course, never mind the maintenance costs. Smaller tracks don't generally have great turf racing. In fact, it surprises me how many of the smaller tracks still have turf courses.

If anybody sees Apache Joe running this year, root for him as it was/is Hajck's horse. And speaking of Hajck, it is unbelievable that Emerald would not listen to his suggestions. Not only are they well thought out, but they are presented in a very coherent, gentlemanly manner.

Take care and send it in on Emerald Downs races.

wisconsin
04-22-2009, 10:00 AM
I was there acouple of years ago and thought that the $5 addmission was outrageous considering that you can't even get a view of the entire track, that you have to buy a seat upstairs if you really want to see the races. The food was tremndous, however, and the paddock was very well set up.

Regarding the turf course, it has already been mapped out, and I think that local horsemen would support it if it were up and running. It toughens up some dirt horses, so you would see good fields there, plus it offers fans variety.