PDA

View Full Version : Summer Bird ships to Churchill

MNslappy
04-17-2009, 09:11 PM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/50273/the-birds-are-coming-to-kentucky?id=50273&source=rss

Derby fever continues to run rampant as usual as two more horses, Summer Bird and Mine That Bird, both sons of Birdstone, are heading to Churchill Downs for the Run for the Roses.

Summer Bird is coming off a powerful third-place finish in the Arkansas Derby (gr. II) in only his third career start, while Mine That Bird is coming off a fourth-place finish in the Sunland Derby.

Summer Bird, who made his career debut at Oaklawn on March 1 and broke his maiden on March 19, turned in an explosive stretch run from 15 lengths back in the Arkansas Derby to finish third, beaten only 1 1/4 lengths by Papa Clem at odds of 26-1.

“After a few of those horses came out and we started moving up in earnings from 24th to 21st, we started talking about it,” said trainer Tim Ice, a former assistant to Cole Norman. “The way he came out of the Arkansas Derby, it gave us a little bit of hope. We definitely think we have a real nice horse, but the seasoning part he’ll have to make up for with his talent. I believe the colt has the ability to run with some of them, and hopefully, we can get lucky and hit the board.

toussaud
04-17-2009, 11:39 PM
it was only a matter of time. I'm not even suprised.

I would not be worried about him in the derby but he could make noise in the belmont. I never liked the lone star derby - belmont angle anyway.

joanied
04-18-2009, 11:36 AM
it was only a matter of time. I'm not even suprised.

I would not be worried about him in the derby but he could make noise in the belmont. I never liked the lone star derby - belmont angle anyway.

I agree...I said, almost in jest, in a post of mine after the Ark Derby...wouldn't it be a nightmare if we get a colt in the Blemont going for the TC win...and another Birdstone ruins it all :bang:

sandpit
04-18-2009, 09:43 PM
No shot.

Watcher
04-19-2009, 12:44 AM
Was looking forward to watching him in person at Lone Star Park in the Lone Star Derby May 9...