PDA

View Full Version : Another new tax. This time, the obese pay.

Bubba X
04-16-2009, 05:40 PM
http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20090415/NEWS-US-UNITEDAIRLINES-OBESE/

Well, maybe not a tax, but if you cannot buckle yourself in on United Airlines using JUST ONE extendo unit on afull flight you must exit the plane and rebook, buying two seats and paying TWICE your original fare.

If you are a bit fat, you're ok.

If you are somewhat obese (only needing one extender), you're ok.

If you need more than one extender, United now says you are not fat, not obese, but what? Obeast?

Where is the outrage?

ddog
04-16-2009, 05:47 PM
now that's a tax i can get BEHIND!

:lol:

dav4463
04-16-2009, 05:52 PM
I think the whole premise is mean. Some people are fat because they have something wrong with them. It's like charging the handicapped extra for taking up wheelchair space.

BlueShoe
04-16-2009, 06:19 PM
Many citizens think that Horseplayers are demented degenerates.Does that mean that soon we will have to pay an Insanity tax??

cj's dad
04-16-2009, 06:35 PM
Many citizens think that Horseplayers are demented degenerates.Does that mean that soon we will have to pay an Insanity tax??

We already do - it's called takeout !

riskman
04-16-2009, 06:44 PM

Excellent ! :D

Dave Schwartz
04-16-2009, 06:59 PM
Now, here is the funny thing... I have (historically) been a pretty heavy guy (but happy to say that I haven't need one of those in almost a year.).

My experience is that sitting in one seat I did not need a belt-extender but in another I did. In other words, not all belts are created equal.

Dave

Secretariat
04-16-2009, 08:35 PM
http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20090415/NEWS-US-UNITEDAIRLINES-OBESE/

Well, maybe not a tax, but if you cannot buckle yourself in on United Airlines using JUST ONE extendo unit on afull flight you must exit the plane and rebook, buying two seats and paying TWICE your original fare.

If you are a bit fat, you're ok.

If you are somewhat obese (only needing one extender), you're ok.

If you need more than one extender, United now says you are not fat, not obese, but what? Obeast?

Where is the outrage?

Guess Limpballs is stuck in South Florida for awhile.

JustRalph
04-16-2009, 08:51 PM

yeah right............ a man with 400 million has his own plane

I am sure you knew that........ you just wanted to make a fat joke at Rush's expense............ typical

Rush's fly's in style

http://fljetcharter.com/aircraft/gulfstream_5.jpg

sandpit
04-16-2009, 09:53 PM
I think the whole premise is mean. Some people are fat because they have something wrong with them. It's like charging the handicapped extra for taking up wheelchair space.

Mean or not, what's wrong with most obese people is that they eat too damn much. I myself could stand to lose about 10 lbs, but there is no way I would let myself get to the point of two-seat purchasing.

I sat next to a guy on a cross country flight a couple years back, we were in the exit aisle over the wing, so plenty of leg room. Well, before the flight, he can't get his belt around him, so he asks the flight attendant to buckle it, but the attendant tells him if he can't do it himself, he can't sit in the emergency row (said it very nicely). The guy gets MAD, but ends up getting himself squeezed in and putting himself out of breath with the effort. Then later when the snacks come, he eats about four helpings and drinks 3 cokes, wheezing like mad the whole time. Then after he goes to the can, he wants me to buckle his belt cause he's too exhausted to do it. I was actually scared I was gonna hurt the poor guy when I cinched the girth on him. The topper was when he ordered another soft drink to wash down the handful of pills he dug out of his briefcase. If seeing that for 4 hours wasn't enough to keep me on the straight and narrow, nothing will be.

boxcar
04-16-2009, 10:44 PM

He's not stuck anywhere. He has his own plane, for your info.

Boxcar

slewis
04-16-2009, 11:50 PM

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :lol: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

BlueShoe
04-19-2009, 12:36 PM
Tip of the cap to CJ for posting the best one liner response to this weeks posts.How very true,we all must be nuts to keep paying the Insanity tax,aka takeout.Have been doing a little calculating,and just might be paying as much in takeout as I do in income tax,and surely more than my sales tax.A rough way to crunch the numbers could be this;if you are in a low or middle income bracket and wager each week more than what your weekly gross salary is,then the relentless takeout at 15-30% just might be higher than your income tax.What a depressing thought.