PDA

View Full Version : Opening Day at Pimlico

cj's dad
04-15-2009, 01:21 PM
This Saturday - April 18th

Special appearance by Joanna Jones of HRTV

Also, free admission, and concession specials.

Other perks include:
* free parking for armored vehicles
* bullet proof vests for the first 1,000 arrivals
* pit bull races
* spot the local drug dealer contests

JWBurnie
04-15-2009, 02:16 PM
My favorite is prison release Thursdays...free admission to all wearing a state issued tracking device.

cj's dad
04-15-2009, 02:20 PM
My favorite is prison release Thursdays...free admission to all wearing a state issued tracking device.

:lol: damn, that's good - how'd I miss that one :ThmbUp:

bitter
04-15-2009, 02:23 PM
This Saturday - April 18th

Special appearance by Joanna Jones of HRTV

Also, free admission, and concession specials.

Other perks include:
* free parking for armored vehicles
* bullet proof vests for the first 1,000 arrivals
* pit bull races
* spot the local drug dealer contests

sad to say, but who's gonna want to go to b-more, when there's a $1MILLION race at charles town saturday night? who would have thought this day would come

cj's dad
04-15-2009, 02:28 PM
sad to say, but who's gonna want to go to b-more, when there's a $1MILLION race at charles town saturday night? who would have thought this day would come

The MJC has made their bed; they can lay in it. I really don't care.

And, you are right, if I do go to the track this Saturday, it will be CT - post time is 6 PM.

Commendable is running, as I'm sure you know.

Tom
04-15-2009, 02:40 PM
Do they adjust the house-arrest ankle bracelets so that Pimlico counts as part of your yard? :D

Sadly, I really like Pimlico. It's always been one of my favorite tracks and the Pim Special was always a big race for me every year.

Run Nicholas Run
04-15-2009, 02:49 PM
I'll go just to walk around wearing my STEELERS jersey
and letting the ratbird fans know they are inferior :cool:

JWBurnie
04-15-2009, 02:56 PM
My cousin lives on the backside...I'm on vacation...staying with him.
"He's got a nice place."

Oh, added bonus, another crowd favorite on "Release the Thirst" Thursdays, two-fers on all brewskii's and free daycare service till the last at Los Al.

cj's dad
04-15-2009, 02:56 PM
Do they adjust the house-arrest ankle bracelets so that Pimlico counts as part of your yard? :D

Sadly, I really like Pimlico. It's always been one of my favorite tracks and the Pim Special was always a big race for me every year.

Yes Tom, all kidding aside, I had some very memorable times there with the boys and my wife. I used to plant myself around the "owners/trainers" bar on the 2nd floor of the g'stand and move between there and my seats outside to watch live races in between simulcasts.

Good memories of the Pimlico special and the days leading up to the Preakness as the various owners/trainers/jocks began arriving in town and picking up mounts to get a feel for the track.

My ex-father in law would get me passes for the barn area and I would see the Preakness entries up close and talk to guys like Zito (great guy), Baffert (funny) and Lukas (so-so).

Funny story is when my friend took a picture of me with Red Bullet in the background and when he asked later if I thought he could win, I just laughed. Shows how smart I am; the wife had him though.

It will be soon gone, I'm afraid.

cj's dad
04-15-2009, 02:57 PM
I'll go just to walk around wearing my STEELERS jersey
and letting the ratbird fans know they are inferior :cool:

You'll make friends here posting horse s--- like that !

Maryland Owner
04-15-2009, 03:26 PM
never change ....

"Yes Tom, all kidding aside, I had some very memorable times there with the boys and my wife. I used to plant myself around the "owners/trainers" bar on the 2nd floor of the g'stand and move between there and my seats outside to watch live races in between simulcasts."

We owners and trainers and jock agents still hang out there and go back and forth between the outside boxes and the bar. Jim the bartender is great

onefast99
04-15-2009, 04:05 PM
Funny story is when my friend took a picture of me with Red Bullet in the background and when he asked later if I thought he could win, I just laughed. Shows how smart I am; the wife had him though.

It will be soon gone, I'm afraid.[/QUOTE]
I think Orseno knew he had a very good chance to win.

bitter
04-15-2009, 04:07 PM
You'll make friends here posting horse s--- like that !

hell he doesn't have to go to pimlico to do that..........these steeler fans are like rats they turn up everywhere. You catch them at the o's games, the nats games, the caps games and the wizards games, ANY sporting event is just another excuse for a steelers fan to wear their jersey. funny yet sad and annoying

JustRalph
04-15-2009, 04:13 PM
Steelers fans have invaded Norf Carolina too........

Nacumi
04-15-2009, 04:31 PM
never change ....

We owners and trainers and jock agents still hang out there and go back and forth between the outside boxes and the bar. Jim the bartender is great

I love that spot to watch our horses and hang out, and Jim, indeed, is aces. I have fond memories of Pimlico aside from the big days, including starting our first homebred there in his racing debut (he was 4th, but won the next time out), and winning a turf sprint allowance (Karamanos up) on our very good racemare, in her first start back after a 6 month layoff. Those were the days, and you didn't even worry about the gunshots you could hear occasionally on the backside.
Is the pizza place still open on the ground floor? Good pie.

cj's dad
04-15-2009, 04:45 PM
pizza joints still there as of last meet !

Jim is a nice guy- Marty was the best though !!

Relwob Owner
04-15-2009, 05:41 PM

Commentator baby...never thought I would see Johnny V at CT!

proximity
04-16-2009, 03:33 AM
Steelers fans have invaded Norf Carolina too........

dude, you probably couldn't escape from these creatures if you took a rocket to mars. try and take solace in the fact that 90% of them couldn't find pittsburgh on a map......

ttt for old hilltop !!

cj's dad
04-16-2009, 08:01 AM
Owners/trainers bar 2nd floor grandstand Saturday -

PA party ?!?

Maryland Owner
04-16-2009, 10:28 AM
I should be there Saturday. I am entering a horse for Sunday (overnight comes out later today) so I might be there both days !!!!

Nevermore19
04-17-2009, 01:18 PM
I have a lot of good memories of hanging around that track as a boy. My mother worked there so I would get a free program and go wandering around like I knew what I was doing.

And then later as a late teen going to the Infield for Preakness and partaking in the drunken debauchery :)

I'll always have a special place in my heart for MD horse racing, its a shame what a sad state of affairs its in now.

But anyway, enjoy it guys! I would be going to Charles Town over Pimlico no doubt if I was still up north.

SimplePleasures
04-17-2009, 09:57 PM
I am a CT guy and not really found of Pimlico sorry. Laurel is ok though if it helps.

Maryland Owner
04-18-2009, 10:36 AM
Ask Jim the bartender for Harry - he knows me well - 1st round on me !

NJ Stinks
04-18-2009, 01:37 PM
Just watched the first race at Pimlico!! So great for the soul! :jump:

I started going to Pimlico and Charles Town (and Shenandoah Downs) when I was in college back in the late '60's. At the time the only other track I had been to was Garden State. Although my track bankrolls were razor-thin, those were days!:ThmbUp:

My first Preakness was in 1969 (Majestic Prince I think). I stopped going when my $4 seat in 1973 cost $35 in 1994 and I had pay somebody $25 to park on their lawn. I used to sit in the AA -PP(?) outdoor grandstand seats down past the 1/8th pole. What a view we had as they came around the far turn! My biggest regret is I missed the '89 Preakness (Sunday Silence-Easy Goer) because some inconsiderate so and so decided to get married that day! :)

But I must say that the corporate tents were ruining the sightlines too much and with the advent of simulcasting, it just became too much trying to actually watch the races and getting all my bets in.

I miss going but still love Preakness Day. I believe Pimlico has the best dirt track in the country which is one reason the best horse usually wins the Preakness. :ThmbUp: