PDA

View Full Version : Do you like 'Candy'...

joanied
04-14-2009, 01:06 PM
Mike Smith gets the mount on Chocolate Candy for the Derby...I like that:ThmbUp: ...
also, Gomez has to make a choice...who will he go with? I hope he stays on Pioneer...I can't think of any other top jock that would be available now?

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/50186/smith-chocolate-candy-get-acquainted?&utm_source=TripleCrownNewsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20090414

Shelby
04-14-2009, 01:40 PM
I just had to sneak in here and say that I think Candy is a GORGEOUS horse.

toussaud
04-14-2009, 01:42 PM
I think by the end of the year towards breeders cup time, Quality Road and Choclate Candy are going to be the two horses to beat. but right now I just don't think he's there yet.

sandpit
04-14-2009, 02:23 PM
I like him at the 200-1 I have him at...

Watcher
04-14-2009, 03:34 PM
What pool was this in?

joanied
04-14-2009, 03:48 PM

:eek: :eek: :eek:

joanied
04-14-2009, 03:52 PM
I just had to sneak in here and say that I think Candy is a GORGEOUS horse.

Shelby...yes indeedy...he is a gorgeous colt...in fact, I think 'Candy', Quality Road, I Want Revenge and Freisan Fire are the best looking colts on the Derby trail...if it was won on looks alone...they'd be the ones:)

joanied
04-14-2009, 03:56 PM
I think by the end of the year towards breeders cup time, Quality Road and Choclate Candy are going to be the two horses to beat. but right now I just don't think he's there yet.

Well, that is kinda beside the point...point is, Mike Smith gets Chocolate Candy (I would like to know why they made the rider switch...and unless I look it up, I don't know:blush: who was getting on Choc. Candy:confused: )...
and I am a huge Smith fan...IMHO...the switch is a good thing:) ...besides my original Derby horses, I am now taking another look at Choc. Candy.

Bruddah
04-14-2009, 04:33 PM
Well, that is kinda beside the point...point is, Mike Smith gets Chocolate Candy (I would like to know why they made the rider switch...and unless I look it up, I don't know:blush: who was getting on Choc. Candy:confused: )...
and I am a huge Smith fan...IMHO...the switch is a good thing:) ...besides my original Derby horses, I am now taking another look at Choc. Candy.

Joel Rosario rode Choc. candy in the santa Anita Derby. Russel Baze rode him in the El Camio Real and Cali. Derby.

joanied
04-14-2009, 04:51 PM
Thanks, Bruddah....your on top of things:ThmbUp: ...don't know much about Rosario...I don't think R Baze has any Derby experience?
At any rate...getting Mike Smith is fine with me:jump:

FlyinLate
04-14-2009, 07:42 PM
As for the 200-1 that somebody had on Chocolate Candy it was probably a future made online from a racebook or in Vegas awhile back.

Getting to Gomez, he will ride Dunkirk. He is simply waiting to make sure that Dunkirk gets in (which is prolly 98% chance right now). He'll be mounting POTN as a backup.

WinterTriangle
04-14-2009, 08:22 PM

Yeah, that's what I think.

Shelby, there is no denying CC's physical beauty. I have thought that myself every time I've seen him.

joanied
04-14-2009, 09:04 PM
As for the 200-1 that somebody had on Chocolate Candy it was probably a future made online from a racebook or in Vegas awhile back.

Getting to Gomez, he will ride Dunkirk. He is simply waiting to make sure that Dunkirk gets in (which is prolly 98% chance right now). He'll be mounting POTN as a backup.

Thanks, Flyinlate... I don't know much about 'futures' bets...IF Choc. Candy should win...will he collect on the 200 -1 :confused:

So Gomez will take Dunkirk if he gets in...CRAP:faint: He knows Pioneer and I would feel so much better if he was on board...any idea who Baffert will ride if Gomez defects...I read where he said he hadn't even planned on a back up rider :bang:

FlyinLate
04-14-2009, 11:25 PM
Thanks, Flyinlate... I don't know much about 'futures' bets...IF Choc. Candy should win...will he collect on the 200 -1 :confused:

So Gomez will take Dunkirk if he gets in...CRAP:faint: He knows Pioneer and I would feel so much better if he was on board...any idea who Baffert will ride if Gomez defects...I read where he said he hadn't even planned on a back up rider :bang:

Yes. Vegas or some racebooks will lock in prices that they determine as fair and any bets locked in at that price stay that way.

As for a backup on POTN, I've just heard rumors here and there, nothing worth repeating as they're prolly just people's opinions :bang:

Cat Thief
04-15-2009, 08:04 PM
Don't know who Baffert would use but he has used David Flores or Bejarno ... don't think they have a derby horse but they are capable jockeys. Gomez will be a fool if he doesn't ride PON

Relwob Owner
04-15-2009, 08:24 PM
Don't know who Baffert would use but he has used David Flores or Bejarno ... don't think they have a derby horse but they are capable jockeys. Gomez will be a fool if he doesn't ride PON

:ThmbUp:

sandpit
04-15-2009, 10:08 PM
What pool was this in?

Correct, in Vegas last November...really just did some small bets for fun. While I hope he wins, I think I have a better shot with Friesan Fire (85-1)...both tickets will probably end up in the burn pile come May 3 :(

joanied
04-16-2009, 10:34 AM
Hey guys...thanks for the info about futures bets...I kinda thought the pay out would have to be at whatever odds you lock in at...we follow futures for our farming operation...we locked in the price we'll get for our malt barely (we grow for Budweiser Beer) a few months ago.

Flores for Pioneer...yes, that would maybe be Baffert's second choice...but I agree with you guys...Gomez should stay with Pioneer....as good as Dunkirk might be...I really do not see him as the Derby winner.

Watcher
04-16-2009, 11:03 AM
Bejarano is on Papa Clem.

joanied
04-16-2009, 12:42 PM
Bejarano is on Papa Clem.
Does Flores have a Derby mount? Man, I just have to hope Gomez chooses the Pioneer over Dunkirk.

Thunder Gulch
04-16-2009, 04:36 PM
Buzz is Espinoza gets POTN

joanied
04-16-2009, 06:04 PM
Buzz is Espinoza gets POTN

Hmmmm...not Gomez, but Victor would be OK...he keeps a cool head, but Pioneer needs to be rode hard when he gets to the lead...not sure if VE would be as strong as Gomez.
Guess we gotta sweat it out until Baffert, or someone, makes the call:faint:

BUD
04-16-2009, 08:31 PM
I think it was the second early wagering--My Native American Wife---Who is Darker than this Italian boy threw the wager on Chocolate Candy @ or about 99/1 Don't know where it closed---

Did you see where the Brit horse is Not going to go into the Derby?---I must say I did here the connections say they did not want to take a worthy horses place in the Derby--After the Blue grass and being an also ran---They were true to the words they spoke earlier... I respect that-

Relwob Owner
04-16-2009, 08:44 PM
Hmmmm...not Gomez, but Victor would be OK...he keeps a cool head, but Pioneer needs to be rode hard when he gets to the lead...not sure if VE would be as strong as Gomez.
Guess we gotta sweat it out until Baffert, or someone, makes the call:faint:

Maybe this is reading too much into it, but if Smith thought that POTN would be an open mount, it is strange he committed to CC...possibilities seem to be:

1. Smith knows Gomez is going to ride POTN
2. Smith knows Gomez isnt riding POTN but thinks CC has a better shot, given the two...
3. I am reading way, way too much into this

Probably number 3.....

joanied
04-16-2009, 09:07 PM
Maybe this is reading too much into it, but if Smith thought that POTN would be an open mount, it is strange he committed to CC...possibilities seem to be:

2. Smith knows Gomez isnt riding POTN but thinks CC has a better shot, given the two...

Probably number 3.....

Sometimes it's good to read too much into something...like a detective...it can help unravel a mystery;) ...Relwob, you actually bring up 3 very good points...and to me, each one makes perfect :bang: sense...and ya know what...I hope #1 is the right one:)

Relwob Owner
04-16-2009, 09:22 PM
Sometimes it's good to read too much into something...like a detective...it can help unravel a mystery;) ...Relwob, you actually bring up 3 very good points...and to me, each one makes perfect :bang: sense...and ya know what...I hope #1 is the right one:)

me too....I had about 4 other scenarios prepped but didnt want to drive myself and others nuts:).....I am not giving up on Gomex choosing POTN!

Dahoss9698
04-16-2009, 10:04 PM

Probably number 3.....

I think you're reading too much into it. I think as long as everything goes well with Dunkirk and his work, Gomez will ride him. And Espinoza will be riding POTN. I don't like POTN in the Derby, but at least you get a Derby winning and very strong jock in Espinoza.

Relwob Owner
04-16-2009, 10:16 PM
I think you're reading too much into it. I think as long as everything goes well with Dunkirk and his work, Gomez will ride him. And Espinoza will be riding POTN. I don't like POTN in the Derby, but at least you get a Derby winning and very strong jock in Espinoza.

I hear ya---in that instance, I think you could question whether Smith might have waited if he had a higher opinion of him but as always, so much behind the scenes....

joanied
04-17-2009, 06:29 PM
I hear ya---in that instance, I think you could question whether Smith might have waited if he had a higher opinion of him but as always, so much behind the scenes....

Did you see the post that Point Given has in the general Discussion section...here is the link to the Gomez 'blog', he makes his pros & cons concerning each of the 2 colts. A good read:
http://www.ntra.com/blog.aspx?blogid=26&year=2009&month=4&day=16

Relwob...yeah, so much behind the scenes and we don't have a 'fly on the wall';) ...I wonder how/why Smith got Chocolate Candy for the Derby...it's gotta be an interesting little story.

I was watching HRTV's 'Pursiut of the Crown', and they mentioned that Baffert had mentioned Robby A for Pioneer...if Gomez chooses Dunkirk, I would rather have Espinosa ride for Baffert...how 'bout you guys?

This is driving me :bang: crazy...crazier than if Relwob had posted several more possibilities to ponder...aaarrrggghhhhhh:faint:

Cat Thief
04-17-2009, 07:04 PM
Russell Baze rids nearly all of Hollendorfer's horses and has for a good many years. Why he is not riding his derby horse I have not a clue unless they made an agreement, or maybe the owner called the shot

Relwob Owner
04-17-2009, 07:05 PM
Russell Baze rids nearly all of Hollendorfer's horses and has for a good many years. Why he is not riding his derby horse I have not a clue unless they made an agreement, or maybe the owner called the shot

Good question....the owner shot calling wouldnt surprise me....probably wanted a bigger name?

Relwob Owner
04-17-2009, 07:21 PM
Did you see the post that Point Given has in the general Discussion section...here is the link to the Gomez 'blog', he makes his pros & cons concerning each of the 2 colts. A good read:
http://www.ntra.com/blog.aspx?blogid=26&year=2009&month=4&day=16

Relwob...yeah, so much behind the scenes and we don't have a 'fly on the wall';) ...I wonder how/why Smith got Chocolate Candy for the Derby...it's gotta be an interesting little story.

I was watching HRTV's 'Pursiut of the Crown', and they mentioned that Baffert had mentioned Robby A for Pioneer...if Gomez chooses Dunkirk, I would rather have Espinosa ride for Baffert...how 'bout you guys?

This is driving me :bang: crazy...crazier than if Relwob had posted several more possibilities to ponder...aaarrrggghhhhhh:faint:

I have so many more but wont drive you crazy.....:):)

Espinoza or Robby A.....hmmmmm....Espinoza.....

joanied
04-18-2009, 10:23 AM
Good question....the owner shot calling wouldnt surprise me....probably wanted a bigger name?

That's always possible...but wouldn't you want a rider that knows the horse? Besides that...I would think by now...all the 'big names' are spoken for?

joanied
04-18-2009, 10:24 AM
I have so many more but wont drive you crazy.....:):)

Espinoza or Robby A.....hmmmmm....Espinoza.....

:bang: :bang: :bang:

toussaud
04-18-2009, 11:23 AM
I'd go robby actually. he's more familar with the midwest and east coast tracks than Vic is.

joanied
04-18-2009, 11:28 AM
I'd go robby actually. he's more familar with the midwest and east coast tracks than Vic is.

If it comes down to those two...yes, maybe Robby A would be the better choice. He can ride the s**t out of a horse if he has to.

juanepstein
04-19-2009, 05:29 AM
mr hot stuff would ruin this horse at a 1 1/4.

WinterTriangle
04-19-2009, 05:51 PM
mr hot stuff would ruin this horse at a 1 1/4.

I was thinking Mr. Hot Stuff would go in the Preakness. :confused: not the Derby?

joanied
04-19-2009, 06:22 PM
I was thinking Mr. Hot Stuff would go in the Preakness. :confused: not the Derby?

While watching HRTV this morning, they showed the list of 20...he's still on it, WT.