PDA

View Full Version : General Quarters - the bloom is off the rose

point given
04-14-2009, 12:48 PM
just finished reading the Bloodhorse column of Steve Haskins . Derby Trail - Its Miller Time. A very good read and revealing of the back story on the trainer Mark Miller who took over training of GQ in florida this winter. Looks like the man deserves some cred for his work with the horse. Alot not said in the article as Haskins was not comfortable laying it all out, but Mr Miller sounds like a very down to earth horse whisperer who put alot of time and work into improving the horse and its hard to fathom McCarthy not even mentioning anything as he was basking in the glow of the Bluegrass stakes win.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/50189/ky-derby-trail-its-millers-time-too?id=50189

sonnyp
04-14-2009, 01:02 PM
this can be an awful business at times. you always expect people to do the right thing but most of the time they dont. i wonder what compensation the woman who "made" curlin and the guy who trained stardom bound last year got ?

Relwob Owner
04-14-2009, 01:10 PM
just finished reading the Bloodhorse column of Steve Haskins . Derby Trail - Its Miller Time. A very good read and revealing of the back story on the trainer Mark Miller who took over training of GQ in florida this winter. Looks like the man deserves some cred for his work with the horse. Alot not said in the article as Haskins was not comfortable laying it all out, but Mr Miller sounds like a very down to earth horse whisperer who put alot of time and work into improving the horse and its hard to fathom McCarthy not even mentioning anything as he was basking in the glow of the Bluegrass stakes win.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/50189/ky-derby-trail-its-millers-time-too?id=50189

The article was brought up on another thread.....I replied that I didnt think it was that bad and that if he had just given Miller credit in the interview, noone would be talking about it....McCarthy looked like he was in a state of shock when interviewed and could have just forgotten....it also seemed like the BloodHorse article had a pretty severe slant and purpose to it...

I also speculated that there might be more to this situation than we know and another poster said there was.....

Relwob Owner
04-14-2009, 01:12 PM
this can be an awful business at times. you always expect people to do the right thing but most of the time they dont. i wonder what compensation the woman who "made" curlin and the guy who trained stardom bound last year got ?

It is funny how you hear relatively little talk about the fact that Stardom Bound has not improved at all since leaving Paasch's care and has actually regressed....interesting

DrugS
04-14-2009, 01:34 PM
She sure showed Dream Empress in the Breeders Cup Juv Fillies.

joanied
04-14-2009, 04:44 PM
It is funny how you hear relatively little talk about the fact that Stardom Bound has not improved at all since leaving Paasch's care and has actually regressed....interesting

By the way...Stardom Bound's original owner just passed away. After the BC last year, he said he was selling her and all his stock (with tears in his eyes) because he needed to settle his estate, or words to that effect)...if the man hadn't sold her, she'd probably still be with Paasch.
It's a shame.

joanied
04-14-2009, 04:48 PM
The article was brought up on another thread.....I replied that I didnt think it was that bad and that if he had just given Miller credit in the interview, noone would be talking about it....McCarthy looked like he was in a state of shock when interviewed and could have just forgotten....it also seemed like the BloodHorse article had a pretty severe slant and purpose to it...

I also speculated that there might be more to this situation than we know and another poster said there was.....

McCarthy did seem in shock after the Blue Grass...I'll give the old man the benefit of the doubt...and see if he mentions Miller while he's interviewed Derby week....if it was me, I'd be sure that Mr.Miller was right there to share all the fun, and possible glory. (IMHO...Gen. Quarters will not hit the board)

and Relwob....about that other poster...I am waiting for the other shoe to drop:eek:

Relwob Owner
04-14-2009, 04:50 PM
By the way...Stardom Bound's original owner just passed away. After the BC last year, he said he was selling her and all his stock (with tears in his eyes) because he needed to settle his estate, or words to that effect)...if the man hadn't sold her, she'd probably still be with Paasch.
It's a shame.

I know, I agree....anothe rexample of the ball bouncing badly for people in this game....her performances since she has been bought have definitel flattered Paasch, thats for sure

Relwob Owner
04-14-2009, 04:51 PM
McCarthy did seem in shock after the Blue Grass...I'll give the old man the benefit of the doubt...and see if he mentions Miller while he's interviewed Derby week....if it was me, I'd be sure that Mr.Miller was right there to share all the fun, and possible glory. (IMHO...Gen. Quarters will not hit the board)

and Relwob....about that other poster...I am waiting for the other shoe to drop:eek:

I know!!!:) I wanted more info but I guess it may become clear as we move forward....are we still the one ones on the Pioneer bandwagon?:)

Dahoss9698
04-14-2009, 04:55 PM

It has been mentioned elsewhere that allegedly Miller was never paid by McCarthy for training him to his win in the Sam Davis. He has still not been paid his 10% of the purse money McCarthy won. Alledgedly the grooms and exercise rider were stiffed as well.

JustRalph
04-14-2009, 05:08 PM
It has been mentioned elsewhere that allegedly Miller was never paid by McCarthy for training him to his win in the Sam Davis. He has still not been paid his 10% of the purse money McCarthy won. Alledgedly the grooms and exercise rider were stiffed as well.

If that's true........he shouldn't be able to run anywhere until he pays his bills

Dahoss9698
04-14-2009, 05:11 PM
If that's true........he shouldn't be able to run anywhere until he pays his bills

I agree.

joanied
04-14-2009, 05:15 PM
I know!!!:) I wanted more info but I guess it may become clear as we move forward....are we still the one ones on the Pioneer bandwagon?:)

Indeed we are...actually, Relwob, I am really torn between Pioneer & Freisan Fire...when the time comes to actually pick ONE horse to win...I don't know what I'll do...clone myself and one of me will root for Pioneer, the other me will root for FF :bang:

and........looks like maybe DaHoss just dropped the other shoe on that info...is McCarthy not such a nice man...or is he senile...not paying Miller sucks:ThmbDown: and stiffin' the barn help sucks too:ThmbDown: Shame on him.

Relwob Owner
04-14-2009, 05:16 PM

If thats true, ugh.....

point given
04-14-2009, 05:25 PM

Thanks for filling in the blanks. I can see how Haskin wouldnot want to delve into that area and open up a can of worms. But damn, he crashed at the guys house in florida, the guy trained the horse and got him better and took care of him. Guess you've got to watch those principals and get it in writing.Bad form.

joanied
04-14-2009, 05:40 PM
Funny how the truth and the 'rest of the story' always seems to come out...bad form...indeed!!

Relwob Owner
04-14-2009, 07:05 PM
Indeed we are...actually, Relwob, I am really torn between Pioneer & Freisan Fire...when the time comes to actually pick ONE horse to win...I don't know what I'll do...clone myself and one of me will root for Pioneer, the other me will root for FF :bang:

and........looks like maybe DaHoss just dropped the other shoe on that info...is McCarthy not such a nice man...or is he senile...not paying Miller sucks:ThmbDown: and stiffin' the barn help sucks too:ThmbDown: Shame on him.

I am a little unsure as well....I just get the feeling that Baffert knows what he is doing with that horse and has been gradually gearing him up to peak Derby Day, while maybe others (IWR) peaked too early....I have been ineffective since Funny Cide, so I am definitely due! :)

Pace Cap'n
04-14-2009, 07:39 PM
Are we sure someone wasn't trying to hustle an an older gentleman out of a good runner?

WinterTriangle
04-14-2009, 07:40 PM
i wonder what compensation the woman who "made" curlin

Um, she did it again with Einstein, on every surface in racing now. :)

joanied
04-14-2009, 09:07 PM
Are we sure someone wasn't trying to hustle an an older gentleman out of a good runner?

Anything is possible...in time, we'll know exactly what the story is, no doubt.

joanied
04-14-2009, 09:16 PM
I am a little unsure as well....I just get the feeling that Baffert knows what he is doing with that horse and has been gradually gearing him up to peak Derby Day, while maybe others (IWR) peaked too early....I have been ineffective since Funny Cide, so I am definitely due! :)

Oh good...I'm not alone is my mixed feelings:) and I have absolutley no doubt that Baffert is being the ever sly one with Pioneer...and since he lost his 'Kramer' (Cananni) to play off of, he's kinda been under the radar...IMO, he's one of the very best in getting a horse to peak on the right day...and Pioneer has the 'goods'. Then we have Larry and FF...another brilliant trainer that knows just what he's doing...did you know he's planning on giving FF a mile work soon...I think that is an 'old school' genious move on his part...ya just don't see mile works anymore, and IMO...it really powers up a horse, muscles, lungs...the whole nine yards.
My only problem with Pioneer is that Flyinlate just posted that Gomez will take Dunkirk if he gets in (and he probably will)...and Baffert made no back up plans...so I wonder who gets on Pioneer?

You haven't been effective since Funny Cide:eek: ...ya mean, you didn't like Big Brown last year, Relwob;) ...you are due and hey...this is it...you're gonna hit it:jump:

Relwob Owner
04-14-2009, 09:26 PM
Oh good...I'm not alone is my mixed feelings:) and I have absolutley no doubt that Baffert is being the ever sly one with Pioneer...and since he lost his 'Kramer' (Cananni) to play off of, he's kinda been under the radar...IMO, he's one of the very best in getting a horse to peak on the right day...and Pioneer has the 'goods'. Then we have Larry and FF...another brilliant trainer that knows just what he's doing...did you know he's planning on giving FF a mile work soon...I think that is an 'old school' genious move on his part...ya just don't see mile works anymore, and IMO...it really powers up a horse, muscles, lungs...the whole nine yards.
My only problem with Pioneer is that Flyinlate just posted that Gomez will take Dunkirk if he gets in (and he probably will)...and Baffert made no back up plans...so I wonder who gets on Pioneer?

You haven't been effective since Funny Cide:eek: ...ya mean, you didn't like Big Brown last year, Relwob;) ...you are due and hey...this is it...you're gonna hit it:jump:

I had a sweet and profitable five year span where I hit Charasmatic, Monarchos and Funny Cide and thought I was the Derby King....well, I have been humbled:)....didnt get Big Brown at all so yes, I am due! I am going against the grain and am going to say Gomez may still take POTN....we will see!