PDA

View Full Version : Pushing further and further into the underground economy

JustRalph
04-11-2009, 06:21 PM
There is a huge underground economy in California due to taxes on business etc. The things listed in the article below are going to spread that underground economy further and further east. Some of this stuff is purely illegal.
Hidden or taxes that are implemented by doing an end run around regular channels is patently wrong. Both legally and morally.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30162245/

Cities, states turn to fees to fill budget gaps
'Streetlight user fees' among the new charges as governments get creative

After her sport utility vehicle sideswiped a van in early February, Shirley Kimel was amazed at how quickly a handful of police officers and firefighters in Winter Haven, Fla., showed up. But a real shock came a week later, when a letter arrived from the city billing her $316 for the cost of responding to the accident.

“I remember thinking, ‘What the heck is this?’ ” says Ms. Kimel, 67, an office manager at a furniture store. “I always thought this sort of thing was covered by my taxes.”

It used to be. But last July, Winter Haven became one of a few dozen cities in the country to start charging “accident response fees.” The idea is to shift the expense of tending to and cleaning up crashes directly to at-fault drivers. Either they, or their insurers, are expected to pay.

Such cash-per-crash ordinances tend to infuriate motorists, and they often generate bad press, but a lot of cities are finding them hard to resist. With the economy flailing and budgets strained, state and local governments are being creative about ways to raise money. And the go-to idea is to invent a fee — or simply raise one.

Ohio’s governor has proposed a budget with more than 150 new or increased fees, including a fivefold increase in the cost to renew a livestock license, as well as larger sums to register a car, order a birth certificate or dump trash in a landfill. Other fees take aim at landlords, cigarette sellers and hospitals, to name a few.

Wisconsin’s governor, James E. Doyle, has proposed a charge on slaughterhouses that would be levied on the basis of each animal slaughtered. He also wants to more than triple the application charge for an elk-hunting license to $10, an idea that has raised eyebrows because the elk population in the state is currently too small to allow an actual hunting season.

Washington’s mayor, Adrian M. Fenty, has proposed a “streetlight user fee” of $4.25 a month, to be added to electric bills, that would cover the cost of operating and maintaining the city’s streetlights. New York City recently expanded its anti-idling law to include anyone parked near a school who leaves the engine running for more than a minute. Doing that will cost you $100.

more at the link

kenwoodallpromos
04-11-2009, 08:46 PM
I had done work in Ca in which I had a business license but did not earn enough to be required to pay yearly taxes.
IMO much local budget goes to Govt. employees, pay which should not be as high, because much of these jobs are lifetime while at least nowadays a large of civilian jobs are subject to layoffs, cutbacks, and firings.

JustRalph
04-13-2009, 02:11 PM
http://www.nypost.com/seven/04132009/news/regionalnews/phone_taxes_are_cell_hell_164180.htm

PHONE TAXES ARE CELL HELL
'INSANE' GOV'T GRAB IN NY

You can't hang up on the taxman.

Eleven federal, state and city levies add as much as 33 percent to the cost of New Yorkers' cellphones, a Post analysis found.

A typical cell plan costing $49.99 a month comes with a total tax bill of $10.59 -- a 21.18 percent tax rate that helps give New York the fourth-highest cellphone taxes of any state.

And cheaper plans favored by the frugal and poor are taxed at higher rates.

Someone with a $29.99 T-Mobile Basic plan with 300 minutes pays $6.95 in taxes monthly, a rate of 23.18 percent, 2 percentage points above the typical city bill.

People trying to save money with multiline family plans are hit harder.

Federal, state and local taxes on a two-line Sprint plan costing $69.99 a month add up to $15.73, a rate of 24.25 percent, 3 points above the typical bill.

Sprint offers additional lines for $9.99 each. Add $2.89 in state and city taxes and 42 cents in federal taxes, and each extra $9.99 line carries a tax bill of $3.32 -- a 33.20 percent rate, 12 percentage points above the typical bill.

"The taxes are insane!" cried Jessica Porter, 36, a gallery worker from the East Village with a similar three-line family plan.

Cellphone customers gripe that there's no justification for some of the fees, such as the state's $1.20-per-line, per-month 911 charge. Responding to complaints that only a tiny amount of the tax went to 911 service, the Legislature voted this month to call it a "public-service fee" instead.

more at the link

Bubba X
04-13-2009, 02:23 PM
http://www.nypost.com/seven/04132009/news/regionalnews/phone_taxes_are_cell_hell_164180.htm

PHONE TAXES ARE CELL HELL
'INSANE' GOV'T GRAB IN NY

You can't hang up on the taxman.

Eleven federal, state and city levies add as much as 33 percent to the cost of New Yorkers' cellphones, a Post analysis found.

A typical cell plan costing $49.99 a month comes with a total tax bill of $10.59 -- a 21.18 percent tax rate that helps give New York the fourth-highest cellphone taxes of any state.

And cheaper plans favored by the frugal and poor are taxed at higher rates.

Someone with a $29.99 T-Mobile Basic plan with 300 minutes pays $6.95 in taxes monthly, a rate of 23.18 percent, 2 percentage points above the typical city bill.

People trying to save money with multiline family plans are hit harder.

Federal, state and local taxes on a two-line Sprint plan costing $69.99 a month add up to $15.73, a rate of 24.25 percent, 3 points above the typical bill.

Sprint offers additional lines for $9.99 each. Add $2.89 in state and city taxes and 42 cents in federal taxes, and each extra $9.99 line carries a tax bill of $3.32 -- a 33.20 percent rate, 12 percentage points above the typical bill.

"The taxes are insane!" cried Jessica Porter, 36, a gallery worker from the East Village with a similar three-line family plan.

Cellphone customers gripe that there's no justification for some of the fees, such as the state's $1.20-per-line, per-month 911 charge. Responding to complaints that only a tiny amount of the tax went to 911 service, the Legislature voted this month to call it a "public-service fee" instead.

more at the link

If you've ever looked at your cell phone bill (if they have that service in your area), you'd know this is not new. Then again, you can't be expected to know everything.

toetoe
04-13-2009, 04:04 PM
New York, where the blind leads the blind. :ThmbDown: .

Hey, not that it matters, but just how ugly was Guv's extramarital babe ? I mean, did he even get a good look at her ? Outta sight, babe. :ThmbUp: .

PaceAdvantage
04-13-2009, 08:56 PM
If you've ever looked at your cell phone bill (if they have that service in your area), you'd know this is not new. Then again, you can't be expected to know everything."If they have that service in your area"

That's a good one Bubba. I think you might have missed that JR posted a link to an article written today...perhaps you should write the authors of the article and explain to them "this is not new" while also asking them if they have cell phone service in their area (that area being New York City).

But, I guess technically you didn't call anyone any names in your post, so I suppose this is a step in the right direction.

JustRalph
04-13-2009, 10:21 PM
bubba stains another thread..........

nomination for the 46 award of the month for April

chickenhead
04-13-2009, 10:26 PM
some things like the charging of people at fault for the costs of dealing with accidents -- I'm not entirely sure I'm against that sort of thing.

It's kind of like charging people that get lost on snow covered mountains for the search and rescue. Why charge me for it -- I didn't get lost. Charge them -- they got a pretty useful service after all. Maybe not the full bill -- we can treat it somewhat like insurance -- but at least require a bill, some kind of co-pay.

Cell phone surcharges -- that's just trying to get away with murder. Taxing things because they can.

But in general, anytime the local/state/national government actually incurs a charge -- due to someone doing something -- I'm not against forms of tax targeting to have those people pay for it.

Tom
04-13-2009, 10:48 PM
So true.....
Bottom line, most so called "governors" have no clue other than steal from the people. There is a place in HELL for Governor Dave, and Arnold, and........
Ct8HYm10tlI

delayjf
04-14-2009, 10:03 AM
IMO much local budget goes to Govt. employees, pay which should not be as high, because much of these jobs are lifetime while at least nowadays a large of civilian jobs are subject to layoffs, cutbacks, and firings.

The retirement packages of some of these city / state workers is also a problem and is literally bankrupting several cities in CA including San Diego. Not sure how things currently stand down south, DJ of SD, can I get a witness.