PDA

View Full Version : What to do about Pirates

Burls
04-10-2009, 05:37 PM
I think Captain Richard Phillips's life and safety is substantially but not absolutely important.
They should be smoothing out the final details of a plan that will kill all the pirates on the Maersk Alabama in a way that will make it as likely as possible that Captain Phillips will remain unharmed in the lifeboat.
I am inclined toward a team of snipers on the USS Bainbridge.

JustRalph
04-10-2009, 08:27 PM
There are Navy Seals there

They like to do things underwater..................

That lifeboat is enclosed..........hard to snipe

http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/images/2008/05/16/lifeboat_2.jpg

Tom
04-10-2009, 08:34 PM
This really making us look inept and powerless. A Navy warship held at bay by a frigging row boat????? And our CNC has not a single word about it. What a chicken-shit he is. This will emboldened not only pirates but everyone out there.

I agree Burls - we should have ended this immediately. No pirate should ever be brought to justice - they should be thrown in the sea to die.

Marshall Bennett
04-10-2009, 09:02 PM
Obama's dumb to the fact. What will he do if the big boys attack ? What a coward . This crap should have ended long ago .

DJofSD
04-10-2009, 09:17 PM
BO won't do anything. For him to do something, he'd be acting in a Christian manner.

And, we all know, this is not how Muslim's view life's tragedies. For the pirates to capture the captain and anything that befalls him was fated -- it must have been written.

chickenhead
04-10-2009, 09:21 PM
:confused:

Christian manner is kill them all? I must have been sick that day at Sunday School. Jewish old testament manner, maybe.

That would be my prescription...but I wouldn't bank on the big guy patting me on the head about it down the road.

michiken
04-10-2009, 09:26 PM
When the Navy Seals are given the order there will be 'No Mas'.

Burls
04-10-2009, 10:19 PM
There are Navy Seals there

They like to do things underwater..................

That lifeboat is enclosed..........hard to snipe

http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/images/2008/05/16/lifeboat_2.jpgI was under the impression that Richard Phillips was in the lifeboat alone. Are they all sitting in there?

ezrabrooks
04-10-2009, 10:41 PM
"From the Halls of Montezuma To the Shores of Tripoli"

We cut our teeth fighting pirates...why is today no different? Fleet Marines would put a stop to this foolishness.

Ez

Tom
04-10-2009, 10:44 PM
Yes, and more pirate ships are heading there, with 50 hostages/human shields.

Keep a good thought that many pirates will die tonight.
Good night to take out the garbage.

Somalia, to, while we're at it.

DJofSD
04-10-2009, 10:47 PM
It is history being repeated. We cut our teeth on Muslim pirates.

Hopefully, we won't attempt appeasement like what was done back then and pissed off Jefferson enough he sent the biggest and the badest naval ships the U.S. had at the time to bombard them.

kenwoodallpromos
04-10-2009, 11:58 PM
Police tactics should be employed- surround up close, look for a shot at them or to use tear gas. Capt should have been isolated when he (or whoever they thought it was) was swimming, with floodlights, smoke. Lifeboat should already have explosives rigged. We should not obey pirate orders to stay a certain distance away, if that was/is/would be the case.

BlueShoe
04-11-2009, 12:16 AM
Kill them whenever and wherever we find them.Small wooden boats are hard targets to find.Large mother ships and port facilities are not.Neither are large homes.The pirates boast that they have luxurious homes and cars.Suppose that one morning while a pirate was sitting on his comode a cruise missile or smart bomb landed in his lap.We have warships in the area.Naval gunfire is very accurate.The guns from just one of our destroyers could take out any land or sea target we wished to destroy.History tends to repeat itself.Just as we ended the Barbary pirate threat in 1805 by military force,so too should we end this threat by swift and decisive action.

racko
04-11-2009, 09:55 AM
make them all admirals in the u.s. navy,,,,at least they have balls

boxcar
04-11-2009, 10:48 AM
make them all admirals in the u.s. navy,,,,at least they have balls

...which is far more than can be said for Prez Stinky! I think he wears his as ankle bracelets.

Boxcar

Dave Schwartz
04-11-2009, 10:57 AM
Obviously, this incident has raised many concerns among Americans. There have been calls for justice and even violence against the misguided perpetrators. But such an emotional reaction has led to the disparagement of entire groups with which we are unfamiliar. We have seen this throughout history.

For too long, America has been too dismissive of the proud culture and invaluable contributions of the Pirate Community. Whether it is their pioneering work with prosthetics, husbandry of tropical birds or fanciful fashion sense, America owes a deep debt to Pirates.

The past eight years have shown a failure to appreciate the historic role of these noble seafarers. Instead of celebrating their entreprenuerial spirit and seeking to partner with them to meet common challenges, there have been times where America has shown arrogance and been dismissive, even derisive. Some of us wonder if our current Overseas Contingency Operation would even be needed had the last administration not been so quick to label Pirates as "thieves," "terrorists" and worse. Such swashbucklaphobia can lead to tragic results, as we have seen this week.

dutchboy
04-11-2009, 12:07 PM
Some ships have started to electrify the rails around the decks that are connected to motion detectors which send a shock when activated by the pirates. Think I read that some container ship are so big they can carry 8-9k containers with a crew of less than 10 people.

I assume this will soon be outlawed as torture by the community organisers in Somali.

DJofSD
04-11-2009, 01:15 PM
Dave, Jack Sparrow, or should I say, Capt. Jack Sparrow would be proud of you!

And you will always remember this is the day you almost became an honorary pirate.

Dave Schwartz
04-11-2009, 01:43 PM
Okay... Perhaps I should have made it clear that this was a parody (not to be confused with parroty) of something that could have been said by the current occupant of the "pale house."

Argghh!

boxcar
04-11-2009, 01:44 PM
Obviously, this incident has raised many concerns among Americans. There have been calls for justice and even violence against the misguided perpetrators. But such an emotional reaction has led to the disparagement of entire groups with which we are unfamiliar. We have seen this throughout history.

For too long, America has been too dismissive of the proud culture and invaluable contributions of the Pirate Community. Whether it is their pioneering work with prosthetics, husbandry of tropical birds or fanciful fashion sense, America owes a deep debt to Pirates.

The past eight years have shown a failure to appreciate the historic role of these noble seafarers. Instead of celebrating their entreprenuerial spirit and seeking to partner with them to meet common challenges, there have been times where America has shown arrogance and been dismissive, even derisive. Some of us wonder if our current Overseas Contingency Operation would even be needed had the last administration not been so quick to label Pirates as "thieves," "terrorists" and worse. Such swashbucklaphobia can lead to tragic results, as we have seen this week.

You should email this to BO. His handlers would feed it into a teleprompter for the next speech BO gives to Americans to justify his complacency during this event.

Boxcar

Tom
04-11-2009, 03:15 PM
LOL! Barrrrrrrrrrack Obama

Pell Mell
04-11-2009, 03:43 PM
Why can't the Seals go under it and cut the bottom out and sink the damn thing?

JustRalph
04-11-2009, 03:56 PM
Okay... Perhaps I should have made it clear that this was a parody (not to be confused with parroty) of something that could have been said by the current occupant of the "pale house."

Argghh!

parroty................. I get it......... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ArlJim78
04-11-2009, 04:10 PM
Why can't the Seals go under it and cut the bottom out and sink the damn thing?
that was my thought from the beginning. why couldn't they make some small holes in the hull so that it sinks but not so fast that they can't rescue the captain.

or

why not have some seals swim up at night, and toss in a sleep agent that would knock everyone out for 30 minutes. presto!

Rookies
04-11-2009, 06:10 PM
Notwithstanding some of the usual opinions from IQs under 75 here...

To me, pirates, like hired mercenaries in some situations, are free of law. They have made their beds by engaging in opnely criminal acts, where they themselves are in agreement that they are pirates.

In this area of the world, they have been coddled far too long. Given the firepower that the U.S. has now in the area, ultimatums should be given as follows:

1) Come within 500 metres of that little boat and we will blow you to kingdom come;
2) We intend to stay here, once this little situation is finalized;
3) We intend to charge for services provided to the commercial shipping companies of the world;
4) In the future, should you venture within 1,000 metres of these ships, you will be blown to kingdom come.

end of piracy...

Dave Schwartz
04-11-2009, 07:30 PM
Rookie,

Perhaps a new industry is going to be born here: The anti-pirate privateer.

A private mercenary group could be contracted by a government to protect their waters.

Have we ever had sea-based mercenaries in modern times?

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Rookies
04-11-2009, 10:16 PM
Dave

I thought about this topic some time back before U.S. influence went down and countries like China & Russia elevated themselves with economic and political power. Let's face it. The cost of the U.S. military is enormous. And-many countries refuse to pull their weight in some of the "difficult" troubled spots of the world. The wild west pirated seas are a place where some of those countries could be encouraged to "pay the toll" in order to get their merchant shipping into safe harbours. The U.S. would get $$$ AND be able to test out a few toys from time to time.

(It would fill Obama's jobs' mandate too...:D Ok..just a little joke...)

ezrabrooks
04-11-2009, 10:43 PM
Rookie,

Perhaps a new industry is going to be born here: The anti-pirate privateer.

A private mercenary group could be contracted by a government to protect their waters.

Have we ever had sea-based mercenaries in modern times?

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Dave, I bet Blackwater could handle a few pirates..

Ez

Dave Schwartz
04-11-2009, 11:22 PM
Ezra & Rookie,

LOL - Do you think Blackwater would find some cool attack boats?

Dave

PaceAdvantage
04-12-2009, 12:05 AM
Notwithstanding some of the usual opinions from IQs under 75 here...More name calling from the "kinder and gentler" crowd? How shocking...

Rookies
04-12-2009, 12:13 AM
More name calling from the "kinder and gentler" crowd? How shocking...

Never would describe myself as either, btw.

But thanks for your contribution to the thread...

dav4463
04-12-2009, 01:35 AM
Pirates need better pitching and an owner who will spend some money to get more quality players.

PaceAdvantage
04-12-2009, 02:28 AM
But thanks for your contribution to the thread...Now THIS is a funny line...you rating MY contribution to a thread...you...the dildo guy...:lol:

Rookies
04-12-2009, 09:06 AM
What's hilarious to me is that you would pick THAT word from what I've said. It's of course, my spin on the usual call in card to Limbaugh from his listeners, nothing more or less.

But it concerns me and says a lot about some internal Freudian strife going on within you Pace. Professional help may be in the cards down the road.

DJofSD
04-12-2009, 09:16 AM
What's hilarious to me is that you would pick THAT word from what I've said. It's of course, my spin on the usual call in card to Limbaugh from his listeners, nothing more or less.

But it concerns me and says a lot about some internal Freudian strife going on within you Pace. Professional help may be in the cards down the road.

First, you start a post with this gem:
Notwithstanding some of the usual opinions from IQs under 75 here...

Then you question the owner of the board for posting a reply then you flat out state Mike requires professional help strongly suggestioning mental problems.

Who do you think you are? Has any one ever told you you are arrogant?

Rookies
04-12-2009, 09:33 AM
First, you start a post with this gem:

Then you question the owner of the board for posting a reply then you flat out state Mike requires professional help strongly suggestioning mental problems.

Who do you think you are? Has any one ever told you you are arrogant?

At the time, I thought any escalations were acceptable, but still it was over the top.:ThmbUp: I apologize for that statement, made in the heat of the moment and I wasn't speaking generically about persons opposed to my opinion here.

The second is clearly a joke, made about a pun- play on words. Nobdody here had any idea that this was deemed offensive.

And yes- occasionally.

Marshall Bennett
04-12-2009, 09:37 AM
Pirates need better pitching and an owner who will spend some money to get more quality players.
:lol: Ya got that right !! :lol:

Rookies
04-12-2009, 10:04 AM
:lol: Ya got that right !! :lol:

Indeed- BEST post of this thread.

Patrick Bateman
04-12-2009, 11:09 AM
Breitbart is furiously looking for an anonymous source to claim that Obama's brother is one of the scurvy-ridden pirateers. G'arrrrrrr!!

boxcar
04-12-2009, 11:22 AM
Breitbart is furiously looking for an anonymous source to claim that Obama's brother is one of the scurvy-ridden pirateers. G'arrrrrrr!!

Would that be the same brother who is living in squalor in a dirt floor hut?

Boxcar

dutchboy
04-12-2009, 11:58 AM

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news/260464/Barrack-Obama-brother-Samson-Obama-refused-entry-to-UK-over-allegations-of-attempted-sex-attack-on-young-girl.html

May be this brother.

BlueShoe
04-12-2009, 12:03 PM
Hey,something very important slipped my mind.We just cannot hurt the poor little oppressed pirates,it would not be Politically Correct.After all,they are Black,they come from a poor background,and they are Muslins.This seems to be the way Libs think,and since Libs are now running things,what can we do,except give those brave,noble men what they so modestly have asked for,along with our deep apology for having upset them.Am sure that the Administration will see the wisdom and compassion of taking this course of action and act accordingly.

Burls
04-12-2009, 12:19 PM
I cannot believe it.
They haven't killed those pirates YET.
What is going on here?
How much is it costing to have USS Bainbridge sit there day after day?

Burls
04-12-2009, 12:25 PM
Hey,something very important slipped my mind.We just cannot hurt the poor little oppressed pirates,it would not be Politically Correct.After all,they are Black,they come from a poor background,and they are Muslins.This seems to be the way Libs think,and since Libs are now running things,what can we do,except give those brave,noble men what they so modestly have asked for,along with our deep apology for having upset them.Am sure that the Administration will see the wisdom and compassion of taking this course of action and act accordingly.Forget this nonsense.
As a confirmed leftist, it's time to send a clear message to everyone that piracy is not the track to easy money with little to no consequences.

boxcar
04-12-2009, 12:31 PM
Forget this nonsense.
As a confirmed leftist, it's time to send a clear message to everyone that piracy is not the track to easy money with little to no consequences.

Have you considered airing your displeasure with your bosom buddy BO in email or on the phone? Evidently, he has never heard of the legal term "hostis humani generis". (Or more likely he has but he doesn't want to hear it.) Why don't you put little bug in one of his big ears?

Boxcar

Tom
04-12-2009, 12:42 PM
Would that be the same brother who is living in squalor in a dirt floor hut?

Boxcar

No, he was the one who's dinner the ship was bringing in to begin with!

slewis
04-12-2009, 12:51 PM
Hey,something very important slipped my mind.We just cannot hurt the poor little oppressed pirates,it would not be Politically Correct.After all,they are Black,they come from a poor background,and they are Muslins.This seems to be the way Libs think,and since Libs are now running things,what can we do,except give those brave,noble men what they so modestly have asked for,along with our deep apology for having upset them.Am sure that the Administration will see the wisdom and compassion of taking this course of action and act accordingly.

Hey Blue shoe,

Are you suggesting that this administration isn't taking more decisive action (such as blowing them off the planet) because of their Liberal view?

Is Obama not going to take decisive action because the Pirates are Muslim??

Are you really saying this?? umm.. You're making Rookies look awfully smart.

Anyone who is staying on top of this news story is finding that this situation isn't as clear cut and simple as one might think.
I think our military leaders are doing exactly what they should..... stall and stall some more.... those on the boat will tire more and more and get more and more hungary..... We have blockaded any pirate attempt to get them re-enforcements...
A solution here doesn't make this problem go away anyway......
But of course, Obama wants to pay the ransom and let them go.... so I dont see the hold up.:bang:

BlueShoe
04-12-2009, 01:01 PM
What my sarcasm is suggesting is that the Left looks at things through rose colored glasses and is out of touch with reality.They think that if you are sweet and nice to the bad guys that they will be nice to you.As a history buff,could fill up this forum with examples of the failure of this approach.

Rookies
04-12-2009, 01:01 PM

:sleeping: Hmmm... a couple of days late and bleated at least once by the right before. Never surprised by the constant repitition here.

Oh- and some of those on the left believe that this is a class of persons that should be blown to hell, following a small, short warning. You probably missed that.

Tom
04-12-2009, 01:17 PM
Somalia is a rogue nation and should be dealt with decisively and quickly.
Missile strikes on known pirate villages is a start. Somalia should not be allowed to exist as a free nation.

When pirates are caught, they should be immediately executed at sea. Just throw them overboard and leave them to the sharks. Justice is wasted on terrorists, and pirates are terrorists.

Oh yeah, through all this....where the HELL is totally useless UN?
And where the hell is our CNC???????
OH, be got a doggie.

boxcar
04-12-2009, 01:25 PM
:sleeping: Hmmm... a couple of days late and bleated at least once by the right before. Never surprised by the constant repitition here.

Oh- and some of those on the left believe that this is a class of persons that should be blown to hell, following a small, short warning. You probably missed that.

Hey, Rook...so you think pirates are just your everyday class of criminals? We (or the international community) should merely treat them as muggers, bank robbers, common thieves? You, too, have never heard of hostis humani generis, I see.

Boxcar
P.S. And I'm never surprised by the depth of the left's dark ignorance.

bobbyb
04-12-2009, 01:32 PM
Somalia is a rogue nation and should be dealt with decisively and quickly.
Missile strikes on known pirate villages is a start. Somalia should not be allowed to exist as a free nation.

Another dozen hours or so the rowboat should be close enough to the Mainland - should be easy pickin's for the Navy's Missiles lobbed into the pirate villages leaving our moronic pirates on the rowboat no place to hide - and little or no condemnation from the rest of the world for taking them out. Jeez now that I re-read what I just wrote, I'm tingling ... :D

bobby

ArlJim78
04-12-2009, 01:53 PM
THE CAPTAIN is FREE!

He jumped overboard, the seals got him this time, three pirates killed, one captured.

bobbyb
04-12-2009, 01:54 PM
3 pirates dead, 1 in custody

bobbyb

Secretariat
04-12-2009, 02:00 PM
Captain freed. Pirates killed or captured.

When I read the reactionary knee jerk comments on this board, and hear the BS Coulter promulgated last night that Obama had failed his first crisis, it makes me sick.

Well done Seals, Gates, and Obama for having the patience to develop a plan that got the Captain out alive. Not one American killed. Well done.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/africa/04/12/somalia.pirates/index.html

ArlJim78
04-12-2009, 02:01 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

chickenhead
04-12-2009, 02:13 PM
Dead pirates and a live hostage. Good outcome.

Tom
04-12-2009, 02:14 PM
Great News!
That capt has a set on him! Woo Hoo!

Now,

Pirates either Al Qeda or have ties to Al Qeda.
We have a live one now. :jump:

Who could possible object to water boarding him for information, Given:

There is 100% certainty that this guy is a terrorist.
There are still hostages held by related pirates.
Still stolen ships being held.

Is there any reason to put this scumbag's live ahead of the potential rewards to be gained by doing whatever it takes to get info from him?

Now, what about retribution on Somalia? When do we strike?

slewis
04-12-2009, 02:19 PM

When I read the reactionary knee jerk comments on this board, and hear the BS Coulter promulgated last night that Obama had failed his first crisis, it makes me sick.

Well done Seals, Gates, and Obama for having the patience to develop a plan that got the Captain out alive. Not one American killed. Well done.

Ann Coulter is in dire need of something very long and very hard thrust down her throat....something she obviously couldn't grasp in her youth... or now.

Like a 6th grade education.

slewis
04-12-2009, 02:22 PM
What my sarcasm is suggesting is that the Left looks at things through rose colored glasses and is out of touch with reality.They think that if you are sweet and nice to the bad guys that they will be nice to you.As a history buff,could fill up this forum with examples of the failure of this approach.

Unlike the right...

ROOKIES... drop that number to 65... and falling!!!:bang:

Tom
04-12-2009, 02:28 PM
So far, it sure sounds like Obama failed here.
Our Chicken - N - Chief sat on his hands and failed to make any statement about it. He may well have prevented the Navy from taking action earlier. I have no doubt the Navy could have resolved this on their own days ago. We shall see, but this guy made it happen, and once he made a move, the Navy was probably free to act. Bummy must have been too busy putting down the NY Times for his new doggie or drafting another attack on Rush to be bothered with an American citizen being held by terrorists. Or maybe he and Michelle were busy looking for a new church, one without a racist biggot of a preacher. That could take a while.

exactaplayer
04-12-2009, 02:28 PM

Tom
04-12-2009, 02:30 PM
Where is the link to Obama being a part of this?

Of course, he will now try to take credit for it.....after the fact.

chickenhead
04-12-2009, 02:36 PM

It doesn't sound like anything. You and I have no idea what happened, or why, or who made what calls, when, or why.

All we know is that the Navy Seals killed three pirates, captured one, and recovered the hostage.

exactaplayer
04-12-2009, 02:39 PM
Where is the link to Obama being a part of this?

Of course, he will now try to take credit for it.....after the fact.
Not sure where the link is. You must have it as you were blaming him for the failure just two posts back. :lol:

Tom
04-12-2009, 02:47 PM
It doesn't sound like anything. You and I have no idea what happened, or why, or who made what calls, when, or why.

All we know is that the Navy Seals killed three pirates, captured one, and recovered the hostage.

Nope. It sounds to like he failed.
I may be proven wrong, but at this time, it sounds like a failure.
He should have spoken out about it.

Besides, that standard here, set by the left, is that you throw stuff out and then ignore it when it turns out not to be true. That was the Bush Doctrine here. I don't like it, but I am forced to conform to the standard. My hands are tied.

chickenhead
04-12-2009, 02:52 PM
Nope. It sounds to like he failed.
I may be proven wrong, but at this time, it sounds like a failure.
He should have spoken out about it.

Your criticism of Obama is he didn't talk enough? That's funny.

boxcar
04-12-2009, 03:20 PM

Sec, before you get all slap-happy and bow down to kiss your messiah's rump for his great victory, read this first:

Before Phillips was freed, a pirate who said he was associated with the gang that held Phillips, Ahmed Mohamed Nur, told The Associated Press that the pirates had reported that "helicopters continue to fly over their heads in the daylight and in the night they are under the focus of a spotlight from a warship."

He spoke by satellite phone from Harardhere, a port and pirate stronghold where a fisherman said helicopters flew over the town Sunday morning and a warship was looming on the horizon. The fisherman, Abdi Sheikh Muse, said that could be an indication the lifeboat may be near to shore.

The district commissioner of the central Mudug region said talks went on all day Saturday, with clan elders from his area talking by satellite telephone and through a translator with Americans, but collapsed late Saturday night.

"The negotiations between the elders and American officials have broken down. The reason is American officials wanted to arrest the pirates in Puntland and elders refused the arrest of the pirates," said the commissioner, Abdi Aziz Aw Yusuf. He said he organized initial contacts between the elders and the Americans.

So, let's see: BO wanted to place the pirates under arrest and probably have their Miranda rights read to them :rolleyes: -- but these enemies of humanity weren't going to have any of that, so eventually it appears the orders were finally given by someone in the administration to take the captain by FORCE, as a "swift firefight" broke out -- probably between Navy personnel (SEALS, perhaps?) and and those high seas thugs. At this time, details of the rescue operation are being suppressed, but I think we're eventually going to find out that OUR MILITARY was involved in this operation. I think we're going to discover that BO didn't send a SWAT team force from Chicago to pull this off. I also think we'll find out that the international community sat idly by twiddling its thumbs, as it usually does, which means we probably acted unilaterally (horrors of all horrors :rolleyes: ). And we'll also discover that the U.N. had its head up its collective butt during this whole incident. (What else is new?)

So...just what is it that BO did that was so different from how the Bush administration would have handled this situation? Or just how did BO's course of action essentially differ from Jefferson's in principle, for that matter?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090412/ap_on_re_af/piracy

Boxcar

chickenhead
04-12-2009, 03:23 PM
So...just what is it that BO did that was so different from how the Bush administration would have handled this situation?

Just so the opportunity doesn't get missed to trot out an oldie but goodie:

Bush would have invaded Kenya. :lol:

I think the answer truly is...it was likely handled largely the same way as Bush would have.

Rookies
04-12-2009, 03:25 PM
Not sure where the link is. You must have it as you were blaming him for the failure just two posts back. :lol:

No, Tommy blamed Obama BEFORE the pirates boarded. In his small world, there are never any circumstances around which Obama could make the right decision about anything.

Boxcar, what possible theory could you ascribe to my position here that would determine that I think "pirates" are normal criminals ? That's exactly what I argued at the start here, that these people are beyond maritime and international law.

chickenhead
04-12-2009, 03:41 PM
just what is it that BO did that was so different from how the Bush administration would have handled this situation?

But I also have to say...I think this is a funny argument coming from you.
Knowing that you were expecting Obama to surrender the entire Atlantic fleet, as well as order reparations paid and formal apologies, you must be in a high state of shock that our military apparatus appeared to function quite normally.

boxcar
04-12-2009, 04:00 PM
But I also have to say...I think this is a funny argument coming from you.
Knowing that you were expecting Obama to surrender the entire Atlantic fleet, as well as order reparations paid and formal apologies, you must be in a high state of shock that our military apparatus appeared to function quite normally.

I'm saying that at the end of the day, it appears that we'll find out that BO got a dose of harsh reality and wound up acting contrary to his fantasyland, utopian vision for America and indeed...the whole world. To his credit, he finally passed this little test -- but not in a fashion that would be applauded by left wing extremists.

Boxcar

Tom
04-12-2009, 04:10 PM
News conference coming up at at 4. It's late already......soon.

Tom
04-12-2009, 04:13 PM
Your criticism of Obama is he didn't talk enough? That's funny.

Yes....as the CNC, I believe it is his responsibility to take an immediate leadership role in cases like this. We must project a strong, no-nonsense attitude towards terrori....oops, I forgot, under Obama, we don't called it terrorism anymore. Instead, no matter what Obama did behind the scenes, if anytning, the world watched 4 terrorists in a row boat hold off the US Navy for 5 days. Not good.

If Obama has shown as much contemp for the terroist actions as he did for comments made by Rush Limbaugh, I would have been happy. :ThmbDown:

chickenhead
04-12-2009, 05:13 PM
Yes....as the CNC, I believe it is his responsibility to take an immediate leadership role in cases like this. We must project a strong, no-nonsense attitude towards terrori....oops, I forgot, under Obama, we don't called it terrorism anymore. Instead, no matter what Obama did behind the scenes, if anytning, the world watched 4 terrorists in a row boat hold off the US Navy for 5 days. Not good.

If Obama has shown as much contemp for the terroist actions as he did for comments made by Rush Limbaugh, I would have been happy. :ThmbDown:

All I can say is I sure would have loved to see all the plaudits from some of the posters here had Obama been out talking tough during this ordeal. I'm sure he would have had your full support, rather than unbridled derision at being "All talk".

I think anyone watching this ordeal knows it lasted as long as it did because we wanted it do, in hopes of getting the outcome we wanted, which we did. We controlled the situation, and the range of outcomes the entire time.

Like you said, it was a lifeboat against our Navy. Anyone who thinks the guys on the lifeboat had control of the situation -- let's just say I don't think anything Obama said would have changed their minds.

I actually do disagree with these guys as terrorists. They are thieves, plain and simple. It doesn't mean they don't need to be dealt with, they do. But they don't have some grand strategy, at least so far as I can tell. They are stealing shit and trying to make money.

Everyone can become a terrorist if we want, it just makes the word meaningless ultimately though. The guy that stole my bike when I was in the 7th grade wasn't a terrorist. He was a thief.

4 guys, part of a bigger criminal enterprise, tried to steal a boat and take hostages for ransom. 3 of them got killed and we captured the other one -- and they didn't get the boat.

Good job guys on the boat, good job US Navy.

Does something need to be done about the piracy on that part of the seas, absolutely. Is it some new, or part of an existing, life and death struggle for Western civilization? No. It's guys trying to steal boats and/or collect ransoms. I believe they've hijacked Iranian boats, Saudi boats, they don't seem to particularly care who's boat it is. They steal boats to make money, not as some political statement.

Calling these guys terrorists demeans the very real threats that real terrorists do pose, in my opinion.

boxcar
04-12-2009, 05:21 PM
Calling these guys terrorists demeans the very real threats that real terrorists do pose, in my opinion.

Aside from the absence of any [stated] political ideologies that usually characterizes pirates, generally, how do their unlawful actions substantially and essentially differ from those of terrorists, who normally do espouse some ideology? Asked differently, why should not both groups be treated as enemies of humanity?

Boxcar

Tom
04-12-2009, 05:30 PM
Pirates are terrorists.
Theses guys have connections to Al Qeda.
Somalia is a terrorist haven.

And yes, had Obama stood up to them, I would not have harped on him.
Congrats to the Navy, but none to the socialist.

chickenhead
04-12-2009, 05:33 PM
Aside from the absence of any [stated] political ideologies that usually characterizes pirates, generally, how do their unlawful actions substantially and essentially differ from those of terrorists, who normally do espouse some ideology? Asked differently, why should not both groups be treated as enemies of humanity?

Boxcar

Where can I look up how we treat enemies of humanity? Who qualifies, and how we treat them?

My point is there are lots of bad people who do lots of different bad things. We generally have different names for them, generally tied to what they do. If we want to quit calling child molesters child molesters, or car thieves car thieves -- and start calling them all terrorists (or enemies of humanity), that's fine -- it just makes terrorist a stand in for "bad guy" -- which isn't a particularly meaningful phrase.

A group who's primary interest is in stealing boats for ransom doesn't pose the same set of threats that a group that wants to violently overthrow our civilization does. Generally, I'd think it would be useful -- for a whole bunch of reasons, to stay mindful of who is who.

ezrabrooks
04-12-2009, 05:38 PM
Where can I look up how we treat enemies of humanity? Who qualifies, and how we treat them?

My point is there are lots of bad people who do lots of different bad things. We generally have different names for them, generally tied to what they do. If we want to quit calling child molesters child molesters, or car thieves car thieves -- and start calling them all terrorists (or enemies of humanity), that's fine -- it just makes terrorist a stand in for "bad guy" -- which isn't a particularly meaningful phrase.

A group who's primary interest is in stealing boats for ransom doesn't pose the same set of threats that a group that wants to violently overthrow our civilization does. Generally, I'd think it would be useful -- for a whole bunch of reasons, to stay mindful of that.

So you know where all of this ransom money goes? Please enlighten us.

Ez

Floyd
04-12-2009, 05:40 PM

Pirates generally aren't motivated by political ideologies. Terrorists, by definition, are.
No one is saying that both groups should not be dealt with to the full extent of the law.

Floyd
04-12-2009, 05:42 PM
Do you?

boxcar
04-12-2009, 05:49 PM
Pirates generally aren't motivated by political ideologies. Terrorists, by definition, are.
No one is saying that both groups should not be dealt with to the full extent of the law.

Wow, Floyd, I'm underwhelmed by your uninformative post. Why waste bandwidth to repeat what I stated? :rolleyes:

However, since you've made mention of "the law", then I must ask: Whose law or what law, specifically? Under whose law, for example, was the captain forcefully rescued -- in case you still don't get it?

And to what law, specifically, are terrorists subjected?

Boxcar

boxcar
04-12-2009, 05:54 PM

Maybe your first order of business is to google the phrase" "enemies of humanity" or better yet the legal form of it which is phrased hostis humani generis; for from what you have said, thus far, you evidently can't or don't want to make the distinctions between common criminals and "enemies of humanity".

Further, you did not answer my question about what makes the actions of pirates differ substantially and essentially from terrorists, in other words, notwithstanding from the absence of any explicitly stated ideology by the the former? (Also see Floyd's very "informative", affirming post about this :rolleyes: )

Boxcar

chickenhead
04-12-2009, 05:55 PM

Ez

Huh? I don't know where your money goes either. Do you give it to Al Qaeda? I think I'm just going to assume you do from now on. I figured they probably keep it. That's what I would do if I risked my life to steal something.

Like I said, they are not espousing a political ideology so far as I know of. I've never talked to a Somalian Pirate. I rely on the news and what bits of our military intelligence we hear of, and I don't recall either saying anything about The Al Qeada Navy operating out of Somalia. I'm open to the idea, but I never heard that. I don't see why Bush would have kept it a secret, these Somalian pirates have been operating for a long time. Indonesian pirates too. There are actually pirates all over the place. They usually steal smaller boats though.

ezrabrooks
04-12-2009, 06:03 PM
Huh? I don't know where your money goes either. Do you give it to Al Qaeda? I think I'm just going to assume you do from now on. I figured they probably keep it. That's what I would do if I risked my life to steal something.

Like I said, they are not espousing a political ideology so far as I know of. I've never talked to a Somalian Pirate. I rely on the news and what bits of our military intelligence we hear of, and I don't recall either saying anything about The Al Qeada Navy operating out of Somalia. I'm open to the idea, but I never heard that. I don't see why Bush would have kept it a secret, these Somalian pirates have been operating for a long time. Indonesian pirates too. There are actually pirates all over the place. They usually steal smaller boats though.

You are the one who made a blanket statement (that these Pirates weren't Terrorists)....not me.

chickenhead
04-12-2009, 06:03 PM
Further, you did not answer my question about what makes the actions of pirates differ substantially and essentially from terrorists, in other words, notwithstanding from the absence of any explicitly stated ideology by the the former? (Also see Floyd's very "informative", affirming post about this )

A pirate is a boatjacker. They steal boats, just like a car jacker steals cars. I have no idea whether you consider a car jacker a common criminal, an enemy of humanity, or a terrorist -- all I know is that he is a carjacker.

Why are terrorists different than pirates (and carjackers)? Because they aren't out to steal your car or boat -- their intent, when the rubber hits the road, is to methodically and randomly kill people.

That is a substantial and essential difference to me.

chickenhead
04-12-2009, 06:07 PM
You are the one who made a blanket statement (that these Pirates weren't Terrorists)....not me.

OK we are back in grade school. My blanket statement, which should have been clear (boxcar understood it quite well), is that piracy is not equal to terrorism.

If these pirates also happen to, on the side, in addendum to being pirates, be Islamic Fundamentalist terrorists, then yes, to answer your very astute question -- they would also be terrorists.

Are we all clear now?

Floyd
04-12-2009, 06:15 PM
Wow, Floyd, I'm underwhelmed by your uninformative post. Why waste bandwidth to repeat what I stated?
Because you seem to have some difficulty stating things clearly.

However, since you've made mention of "the law", then I must ask: Whose law or what law, specifically? Under whose law, for example, was the captain forcefully rescued -- in case you still don't get it?

I can't believe you think the U.S. Navy did not have the authority to forcefully rescue the captain. What would you have done, started a prayer group and hope for divine intervention? Dropped bibles on them? This whole "turn the other cheek" thing has limits, you know.

Tom
04-12-2009, 06:18 PM
When in doubt, send them to GITMO. ;)

These guys are more likely to be connected to terorism than not.
They come from a terrorist nation.

Military and counterterrorism officials say that in the intricate tribal networks, one clansman could be out hijacking cargo ships, while his brother might be a member of the al-Shabab terrorist organization. And they both could be buying their weapons from the same traffickers operating in Somalia's vast ungoverned spaces.

"If you look at the clan structure or the tribes — to think that there may not be linkages probably is a bit naive," Army Gen. William "Kip" Ward, head of the U.S. Africa Command, told The Associated Press in an interview Thursday.

Full article:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090410/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/us_piracy

boxcar
04-12-2009, 06:54 PM
Because you seem to have some difficulty stating things clearly.

Really? What part of this sentence was unclear?: Aside from the absence of any [stated] political ideologies that usually characterizes pirates, generally, how do their unlawful actions substantially and essentially differ from those of terrorists, who normally do espouse some ideology?

May I suggest that you have a reading comp problem?

I can't believe you think the U.S. Navy did not have the authority to forcefully rescue the captain.

What gave you the idea that I believed this? What did I say or imply to make you jump to this foolish and unwarranted conclusion?

So...not only don't you read too swell, but you're prone to intellectual hari-kiri, as well. Tsk, tsk. You should give immediate attention to your condition before you do irreparable harm to yourself.

So, let's try one more time because like Chick, you're ducking the issue: We both agree that the Navy had the authority -- but under WHAT LAW?
And did the U.S. military only have this authority? Or did any nation's military have the authority?

What would you have done, started a prayer group and hope for divine intervention? Dropped bibles on them? This whole "turn the other cheek" thing has limits, you know.

Actually, what I would have done is if someone of your ilk was in my plane, I would have tossed him out because he would have had enough hot air in him
to have killed the pirates with heat exhaustion once his body splattered all over the deck.

Boxcar
P.S. A small hint: Every hear of maritime law? You know -- laws that pertain to the "high seas" (and this is a legal phrase too!) :bang: :bang:

boxcar
04-12-2009, 07:05 PM
A pirate is a boatjacker. They steal boats, just like a car jacker steals cars. I have no idea whether you consider a car jacker a common criminal, an enemy of humanity, or a terrorist -- all I know is that he is a carjacker.

Why are terrorists different than pirates (and carjackers)? Because they aren't out to steal your car or boat -- their intent, when the rubber hits the road, is to methodically and randomly kill people.

That is a substantial and essential difference to me.

History will show that pirates have murdered plenty of people needlessly and randomly, also. So? No difference, is there?

Next, most car thieves steal cars under some specific jurisdiction -- making they subject to specific laws. Pirates steal boats under whose jurisdiction, specifically?

And finally, I'm not surprised that your thinking processes begin and end with a carjacker is just a carjacker. And a boatjacker is just a boatjacker. I pegged you correctly early on when I said you really don't want to find any distinctions between common crimes and crimes against humanity because, after all, you find too much blissfulness in ignorance.

Ciao,
Boxcar

michiken
04-12-2009, 07:15 PM
When the Navy Seals are given the order there will be 'No Mas'.

As predicted here! (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/piracy)

Floyd
04-12-2009, 07:21 PM
Really? What part of this sentence was unclear?: Aside from the absence of any [stated] political ideologies that usually characterizes pirates, generally, how do their unlawful actions substantially and essentially differ from those of terrorists, who normally do espouse some ideology?

Let's see. "Aside from the absence of any [stated] political ideologies that usually characterizes pirates,"

You imply that you believe that there are political ideologies that usually characterize pirates, but in this instance there were no political ideologies stated.
If that's not what you meant then perhaps you should work on expressing yourself a little more clearly.

So, let's try one more time because like Chick, you're ducking the issue: We both agree that the Navy had the authority -- but under WHAT LAW?
And did the U.S. military only have this authority? Or did any nation's military have the authority?
It's well established that any nations' military has the authority. I don't know why you insist on questioning that. It's just your irrational hate for Obama that wants to find some controversy in what rational people would view as a success.

Actually, what I would have done is if someone of your ilk was in my plane, I would have tossed him out because he would have had enough hot air in him to have killed the pirates with heat exhaustion once his body splattered all over the deck.
Golly, Boxcar, that's a little harsh. Reread your New Testament and then ask yourself "Who would Jesus throw off the plane?"

chickenhead
04-12-2009, 07:48 PM
History will show that pirates have murdered plenty of people needlessly and randomly, also. So? No difference, is there?

Does this mean all terrorists are pirates?

How many times do I have to say, yes, to me there is a difference? And I'd guess our military must agree, since we've been fighting a war on terror, rather than a war on pirates. There must have been a threat assessment done some time ago, maybe after 9-11, where they figured out who represented what level of threat. Somehow, despite them being exactly the same thing -- the terrorists got top billing, pirates presumably a very very close second, maybe Russia a far distant third.

And finally, I'm not surprised that your thinking processes begin and end with a carjacker is just a carjacker. And a boatjacker is just a boatjacker. I pegged you correctly early on when I said you really don't want to find any distinctions between common crimes and crimes against humanity because, after all, you find too much blissfulness in ignorance.

Hey, maybe I'd love to make a distinction, maybe I'd love to hear a new idea that blows my mind -- but since you refuse to say anything contributory -- and instead keep repeating the same thing over and over and over again -- I wouldn't know.

Cheerio

JustRalph
04-12-2009, 07:54 PM
http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSTRE53B20A20090412

HOW MUCH MONEY ARE THEY MAKING?

* Ship owners have been paying increasingly high ransoms with regularity. Earlier this year, the pirates made more than $6 million from the negotiated release of the Saudi supertanker the Sirius Star and the Ukrainian vessel the MV Faina.

* Ransoms during 2008, when 42 vessels were captured, ranged from $500,000 to $2 million, experts say.

* The pirates reinvest some of their money in better equipment and boats. They also spend plenty of it on flashy living, taking new wives, building palatial villas and buying 4x4 vehicles. Some get involved in smuggling.

* Financiers and masterminds, who are generally older than the young pirates, take a large cut of ransoms.

* Local rulers also take a share to allow the pirates to operate unchecked out of their territories.

Tom
04-12-2009, 08:22 PM
Since none of us have ever met a pirate, let's ask one of the hostages they are holding and trotted out to use as human shields the other day.
Terrorists or not? :rolleyes:

Maybe all pirates are not, but it certainly appears these are.

Why quibble over it?
Does anyone have any objection to just killing any pirates we catch?

International law covering pirates is a total joke and scripted to FAVOR pirates. That is typical of the UN. Pirates attack your ship with AK47s and you are limited fighting back with a firehose??????

boxcar
04-12-2009, 08:36 PM
Let's see. "Aside from the absence of any [stated] political ideologies that usually characterizes pirates,"

You imply that you believe that there are political ideologies that usually characterize pirates, but in this instance there were no political ideologies stated. If that's not what you meant then perhaps you should work on expressing yourself a little more clearly.

What part of "absence" don't you understand? :rolleyes: I did NOT say, "aside from any political ideologies that usually characterize pirates". :bang: :bang: As stated earlier, you really don't read very well. ABSENCE was the subject of my sentence. "of any stated political ideologies" is merely a descriptive phrase -- describing what kind of absence. You, too, graduated with honors at Dumb Down U., I see. :bang:

It's well established that any nations' military has the authority. I don't know why you insist on questioning that.

Again, I'm not questioning that. I know under what law. I'm asking YOU the question. And I just know you don't understand the point to all this. It sailed way over your head. The point to this line of questioning is that this "crime" on the HIGH SEAS is in violation of maritime law, which is why any nations' military has the authority! It's in violation of that law because piracy, specifically, has never been considered in a class of "common acts of crime", such as common thievery or carjacking, etc., but rather as "crimes against humanity" --- which denote especially odious and particularly offensive acts. This is why such acts have historically been legally defined as hostis humani generis -- "crimes against mankind". This being the case, piracy is not a mere criminal act requiring some "police-type" action (such as carjacking, breaking and entering, etc., etc.) but rather an international problem involving a particularly repugnant offense, and a problem that extends to the scope of global jurisdiction. Therefore, piracy is a crime against humanity that rightfully calls for military action , which is why Jefferson handled this problem the way he did. Of course, BO and other left wing whackjobs would never concede this. They would still maintain that piracy, like terrorism, merely requires police-type action -- a premise absurd on the face of it in both cases.

It's just your irrational hate for Obama that wants to find some controversy in what rational people would view as a success.

I don't hate BO. Why do you say I hate him? Where on this forum have I expressed this alleged hatred for him? (You see, you are full of hot air!) I don't like him. And I don't like him because of what he represents.

Golly, Boxcar, that's a little harsh. Reread your New Testament and then ask yourself "Who would Jesus throw off the plane?"

Golly, Floyd, you're a little thin-skinned today, aren't you? I was kidding just like you were. But even if I weren't, Jesus did teach his disciples to not waste their time in the company of infidels who don't want to know the truth.
We're to "toss them overboard", as it were. ;)

Have a good one,
Boxcar

JustRalph
04-12-2009, 08:40 PM
You guys are all wrong on about pirates

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x5440007

They are environmentalists

boxcar
04-12-2009, 08:44 PM
You guys are all wrong on about pirates

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x5440007

They are environmentalists

That's all the more reason to off 'em. :lol: :lol:

Boxcar

JustRalph
04-12-2009, 08:45 PM
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x5441515

Floyd
04-12-2009, 09:48 PM
Sentence Diagramming (http://www.lifestreamcenter.net/DrB/Lessons/TS/diagram.htm)

Since part of the writing process involves editing our work, we need to know how to recognize complete thoughts and how to vary our sentence structure. This makes our writing more coherent as well as more interesting to read. Understanding the functions of parts of the speech in a sentence and their relationship to one another can be very helpful in learning to construct good sentences.

A sentence (to be a sentence) at the very least must have a Subject (noun or pronoun) and a Predicate (verb). The remaining words in a sentence serve to describe, clarify or give us more information about the subject or the verb. A diagram arranges the parts of a sentence like a picture in order to show the relationship of words and groups of words within the sentence. Let us take a look at how this is done. We will begin learning how to diagram sentences and use this tool to become better writers.

Step #1

Look for the VERB in the sentence. A verb is a word that shows action (dance, sing, walk, run, etc.) or state of being (am, is, are, was, were, etc.)

Ask the question, "What action is taking place, or what happened in the sentence?" The answer you get will let you know which word (or group of words) serves as the verb in the sentence. The VERB is placed on the right hand side of the base line.

Example:

Aside from the absence of any [stated] political ideologies that usually characterizes pirates,

Step #2

Find the SUBJECT of the verb (the person or thing that performs the action).

Ask the question, "Who? or What?" before the verb. The answer you get will let you know which word (or group of words) serves as the subject of the verb. The SUBJECT is placed on the left hand side of the base line.

Example:

Aside from the absence of any [stated] political ideologies that usually characterizes pirates,

Step #3

Find the DIRECT OBJECT. (If there is one in the sentence, it is the person or thing that receives the action of the verb.)

Ask the question, "Whom? or What?" after the verb. The answer you get will let you know which word serves as the direct object of the verb. The DIRECT OBJECT is placed on the base line to the right of the verb separated by a line that goes upward from the base line.

Examples:

Step #4

Look for ARTICLES (a, an, the) or POSSESSIVES (my, your, his, hers, its, their, Joe’s, Maria’s, etc.) Ask the question, "Whose?"
ARTICLES and POSSESSIVES are attached to the base line beneath the word they describe.

Examples:

Step #5

Look for ADJECTIVES (words that describe or limit a noun or pronoun). Ask the questions, " Which one? How many? What kind? What size? What color? " ADJECTIVES are connected beneath the words they modify.

Examples:

Step #6

Look for ADVERBS (words that modify verbs, adjectives or other adverbs). Ask the questions, "How? When? Where? How much? Why?" ADVERBS are connected beneath the words they modify.

Step #7

Look for PREPOSITIONAL PHRASES. (These are groups of words that begin with a preposition and end with a noun or pronoun which is the object of the preposition. Together they serve the same function as an adjective or an adverb.) PREPOSITIONAL PHRASES are connected beneath the line of the words they modify.

Examples:

Now let's put what you have learned into practice. Try this sentence:

"Even though Boxcar can't write a coherent sentence, he persists."

Floyd
04-12-2009, 09:59 PM
Golly, Floyd, you're a little thin-skinned today, aren't you? I was kidding just like you were.
Oh. I missed the part where I expressed the wish to see you splattered all over the deck of a boat after I pushed you from a plane.
My bad.
But even if I weren't, Jesus did teach his disciples to not waste their time in the company of infidels who don't want to know the truth.
We're to "toss them overboard", as it were.
Yup. That's the Jesus with whom I'm familiar. The one who kept tossing unbelievers off of boats to their death. Evil Zombie Jesus. Right.

boxcar
04-12-2009, 10:22 PM
Oh. I missed the part where I expressed the wish to see you splattered all over the deck of a boat after I pushed you from a plane.
My bad.

Yup. That's the Jesus with whom I'm familiar. The one who kept tossing unbelievers off of boats to their death. Evil Zombie Jesus. Right.

You're another one who has problems with metaphors, too, I see. :rolleyes:
What part of "as it were", didn't you comprehend?

But you have an even more serious problem: At best you have a passing (as in "superficial") familiarity with the Jesus of the bible. So, you shouldn't blame my metaphor for upsetting nearly as much as you should your own spiritual ignorance.

Boxcar

Floyd
04-12-2009, 10:39 PM
But you have an even more serious problem: At best you have a passing (as in "superficial") familiarity with the Jesus of the bible. So, you shouldn't blame my metaphor for upsetting nearly as much as you should your own spiritual ignorance.
Don't get me wrong, you've got me fascinated by this Zombie Jesus who went around the Sea of Galilee tossing infidels overboard. Seems like that would be pretty popular with the kids. Is that in the King James version? Or one of those modern Bibles with the blue jean cover?

boxcar
04-12-2009, 10:42 PM
Sentence Diagramming (http://www.lifestreamcenter.net/DrB/Lessons/TS/diagram.htm)

Since part of the writing process involves editing our work...

I would also add that the reading process involves thinking and comprehension! There is absolutely nothing wrong with this sentence:

Aside from the absence of any [stated] political ideologies that usually characterizes pirates, generally, how do their unlawful actions substantially and essentially differ from those of terrorists, who normally do espouse some ideology?

Only a muddle-headed thinker could possibly infer from this sentence that I said this:

Aside from any [stated] political ideologies that usually characterizes pirates...

So, Mr. Windbag, you write this tome-like post to feign your command of grammar,when in reality you were only hoping that all your verbosity would serve to mask your own reading comp inadequacies. Smooth move, Ex-Lax. :rolleyes:

And don't forget: You were also the one who claimed that I thought the U.S. Navy had no authority to take any action!!! And you also assumed that I hated Obama. But I never said or implied either! :bang: In short, you make things up as you go along. You pull these imaginings out of some bodily orifice of yours because you really have nothing of any substance to say!

... we need to know how to recognize complete thoughts and how to vary our sentence structure

And you, sir, simply need to learn how to read put a muzzle and heavy leash on your overworked imagination. :rolleyes:

Boxcar

boxcar
04-12-2009, 10:46 PM
Don't get me wrong, you've got me fascinated by this Zombie Jesus who went around the Sea of Galilee tossing infidels overboard. Seems like that would be pretty popular with the kids. Is that in the King James version? Or one of those modern Bibles with the blue jean cover?

Very sadly, your self-deceit doesn't permit you to see that your fascination is with your own vain, carnal imagination.

Boxcar

Rookies
04-12-2009, 10:51 PM
Our Chicken - N - Chief sat on his hands and failed to make any statement about it. He may well have prevented the Navy from taking action earlier. I have no doubt the Navy could have resolved this on their own days ago. We shall see, but this guy made it happen, and once he made a move, the Navy was probably free to act. Bummy must have been too busy putting down the NY Times for his new doggie or drafting another attack on Rush to be bothered with an American citizen being held by terrorists. Or maybe he and Michelle were busy looking for a new church, one without a racist biggot of a preacher. That could take a while.

In order, I salute:

1) Phillips the captain for his courage under fire;
2) The crew of the ship who battled the pirates;
3) The Navy Seals who's professional marksmanship was used to best advantage, as predicted by Arl Jim & Ralph;
4) The Navy Admiral who gave the instantaneous decision to take them out at that moment
5) The President, who once again, proved Tom 100 % incorrect despite his usual visceral hatred.

I'm using FOX NEWS, so that that it can't be twisted:
President Obama twice authorized the military to rescue a U.S. captain held by Somali pirates and whose life appeared to be at risk.

A senior administration official told FOX News that Obama granted the authority on Friday and Saturday to use appropriate force to rescue Capt. Richard Phillips from a lifeboat off the Somali coast. The Pentagon believed Phillips' life was at risk both times, officials said.

A senior administration official said the president's order authorized force for a group of military assets that arrived at the scene late last week. When more resources arrived, Obama added them to a roster of military personnel allowed to engage militarily with the Somali pirates.

Obama was told Sunday of the rescue while he was in the White House residence, administration officials said. He phoned Phillips and Phillips' family, an official told FOX News.

"I am very pleased that Capt. Phillips has been rescued and is safely on board the USS Boxer," the president said in a statement. "His safety has been our principal concern, and I know this is a welcome relief to his family and his crew."

Obama also praised the U.S. military and the other departments and agencies for their efforts.

"We remain resolved to halt the rise of piracy in this region," he said. "To achieve that goal, we must continue to work with our partners to prevent future attacks, be prepared to interdict acts of piracy and ensure that those who commit acts of piracy are held accountable for their crimes."

Floyd
04-12-2009, 11:16 PM
Very sadly, your self-deceit doesn't permit you to see that your fascination is with your own vain, carnal imagination.

Actually, I was asking a serious question about your Zombie Jesus who throws people off of ships, I'd like to hear more. Are there some books I can read? You know, chapter books, not the "graphic" books. (If you look in the back of your "graphic" book it should say what the original source was. Thanks.)