PDA

View Full Version : Breen says West Side Bernie going to the Derby!

onefast99
04-10-2009, 11:11 AM
DRF reports WS Bernie is ready to be shipped by Breen to Churchill Downs for the big race on the first Saturday in May. WS Bernie finished 2nd to I Want Revenge in the Wood after a dull effort in the Lanes End. Breen said that "in the Derby sometimes the best horse doesn't always have to win". Kelly Breen goes to the Derby for the first time in his training career and feels the mile and a quarter will be no issue for his horse. Breen also felt that a little more traffic problems in the Wood for IWR and WS Bernie would of won. The Derby will be a whole different ballgame for WS Bernie and his connections one where experience can play a big factor, their go to rider is Stewart Elliott who is no stranger to the Derby or for that matter the Triple Crown trail. Breen has high hopes in a year where there isn't a standout in the current field. Once the Derby is run all questions will be answered on the ability of this young trainer to finally get to the next level.

andymays
04-10-2009, 11:16 AM
DRF reports WS Bernie is ready to be shipped by Breen to Churchill Downs for the big race on the first Saturday in May. WS Bernie finished 2nd to I Want Revenge in the Wood after a dull effort in the Lanes End. Breen said that "in the Derby sometimes the best horse doesn't always have to win". Kelly Breen goes to the Derby for the first time in his training career and feels the mile and a quarter will be no issue for his horse. Breen also felt that a little more traffic problems in the Wood for IWR and WS Bernie would of won. The Derby will be a whole different ballgame for WS Bernie and his connections one where experience can play a big factor, their go to rider is Stewart Elliott who is no stranger to the Derby or for that matter the Triple Crown trail. Breen has high hopes in a year where there isn't a standout in the current field. Once the Derby is run all questions will be answered on the ability of this young trainer to finally get to the next level.

When Breen says that in the Derby the best horse doesn't always win this is true but Breen needs about 6 Horses to have trouble for West Side Bernie to get in the money!

DRIVEWAY
04-10-2009, 11:36 AM
West Side Bernie got a 101 Beyer in the Wood. He should move forward off that race and with steady progress should challenge in the Derby.

He'll be overlooked in the wagering and could easily be 25+.

Let's see his workouts at Churchill. His Beyers on dirt have increased with each race. A 110 Beyer is not out of the question.

I'll be rooting for him.

slewis
04-10-2009, 01:24 PM
When Breen says that in the Derby the best horse doesn't always win this is true but Breen needs about 6 Horses to have trouble for West Side Bernie to get in the money!

You'd better double that Andy, then add a couple.

matthewsiv
04-10-2009, 03:38 PM
As a lead pony!

toetoe
04-10-2009, 05:46 PM
As a lead pony!

Ouch !!! (:Hand over eyes.) Brutal !!! So yer saying Pace Car Bernie ?

philofbelloni
04-10-2009, 07:56 PM
...Ford Pinto Bernie

the little guy
04-10-2009, 08:21 PM
West Side Bernie is a very nice horse with the right kind of running style to pick up a small piece in this year's Derby. I will definitely look for a prop giving decent odds that he finishes ahead of Pioneer of the Nile.

slewis
04-11-2009, 12:23 AM
West Side Bernie is a very nice horse with the right kind of running style to pick up a small piece in this year's Derby. I will definitely look for a prop giving decent odds that he finishes ahead of Pioneer of the Nile.

vs. Musket Man too???

Loser wears dunce cap at Belmont Sunday may 3rd..... (But only if my flight gets back from Louisville on time) not that I haven't seen you model it previously.:)

Market Mover
04-11-2009, 12:51 AM
If WBS goes for Breen, the play is to key him the superfectas with someone who runs poorly in the Blue Grass (Monarchos w Invisible Ink). That angle has produced some extremely nice payoffs...

onefast99
04-11-2009, 08:14 AM
If WBS goes for Breen, the play is to key him the superfectas with someone who runs poorly in the Blue Grass (Monarchos w Invisible Ink). That angle has produced some extremely nice payoffs...
No ifs and or buts he is in the race! KJB gets his chance to show the racing world he can get to the next level and based on how good WS Bernie ran in the Wood he will get his shot. In the event he runs poorly he still has a bunch of maidens that will be running at Monmouth park this summer and everyone knows maidens and Breen are a deadly combo. To top it all off he will have an entry of WS Bernie and Atomic rain in the Haskell on August 2nd.

eastie
04-11-2009, 08:40 AM
his owner is a really cool guy, i hope he runs well. I'm using him underneath. He hasn't fired his best shot yet, and the idea is to peak for the derby isn't it?

rastajenk
04-11-2009, 09:48 AM
Derby history is full of Impeachments, Closing Arguments, Coax Me Chads, Green Alligators...you get the picture...that pump up the gimmicks by running the whole race when others run 9/10's of it, or less. I don't know if Bernie is one of these, but I don't think it's wise to think that just because he's 10th or 12th on your own morning line that he's going to finish 10th or 12th.

onefast99
04-11-2009, 09:49 AM
his owner is a really cool guy, i hope he runs well. I'm using him underneath. He hasn't fired his best shot yet, and the idea is to peak for the derby isn't it?
Owner(s) are newbies to the game, got a nice start with Keeneland Cat and had a little success with the maidens thus far. I know they must be feeling the downturn in the economy like the rest of us as hedge funds are not the vehicle many choose today when investing. They have a nice one in WS Bernie, Atomic Rain didn't run too badly either and King Puma maybe a nice small stakes horse for them at Monmouth this summer. Kelly took a big risk going semi-private and maybe it will pay off.

strapper
04-11-2009, 09:56 AM
Bernie is a well-seasoned pro. I don't think all the hooplah at CD on Derby Day will bother him. That being said, I don't see him winning but definitely can get a piece of the pie. Breen has managed him very well.

onefast99
04-11-2009, 09:59 AM
Bernie is a well-seasoned pro. I don't think all the hooplah at CD on Derby Day will bother him. That being said, I don't see him winning but definitely can get a piece of the pie. Breen has managed him very well.
Yes he has done a great job with him and also Bold Union. The rest of the three year old group needs to be run in races where they have a chance to win.

alhattab
04-11-2009, 10:21 AM
Yes he has done a great job with him and also Bold Union. The rest of the three year old group needs to be run in races where they have a chance to win.

I don't think the Derby is at all a referendum on KJB's ability to make the "big time"- Derby runners are full of excuses and this is but one chance for a relatively young trainer. Good luck to him and also to the other local boy Derek Ryan. It would be nice to have some TC trainers regularly at Mth this summer.

If WSB gets a clean trip and flops, I would start thinking grass with him. They're still giving away a ton of money in Virginia for 3YO grass horses and he may have the breeding for it.

onefast99
04-11-2009, 10:33 AM
I don't think the Derby is at all a referendum on KJB's ability to make the "big time"- Derby runners are full of excuses and this is but one chance for a relatively young trainer. Good luck to him and also to the other local boy Derek Ryan. It would be nice to have some TC trainers regularly at Mth this summer.

If WSB gets a clean trip and flops, I would start thinking grass with him. They're still giving away a ton of money in Virginia for 3YO grass horses and he may have the breeding for it.
The connections won't go anywhere but MP and NY especially Saratoga. Breen is his own worst enemy he needs to stop the media campaign and worry about winning a big race with a 3yo. He hasn't been able to compete in that arena yet. WS bernie maybe his ticket, we will have to wait and see.

toetoe
04-11-2009, 02:38 PM
Westside Meredith Dragster Bernie ?

onefast99
04-11-2009, 02:44 PM
Westside Meredith Dragster Bernie ?
Nope, named after Leonard Bernstein a very good friend of the owner and the person responsible for the music in the Broadway adaptation of the book Westside Story. Must be a slow day!:faint:

toetoe
04-11-2009, 03:22 PM
Good times, bad times, Sondheim.