PDA

View Full Version : Who Will Gomez Ride in the Derby?

Wickel
04-10-2009, 12:31 AM
I'm thinking there will be a few more defections before the first Saturday in May, paving the way for Pletcher and Dunkirk. But will Gomez join them, or will he stick with Pioneerof the Nile? Dunkirk's is still learning the game and improving with every race. I feel the mile and a quarter will suit him just fine. On the other hand, The Nile has done everything asked of him. My gut tells me Gomez will stick with Baffert, although my heart wants him on Dunkirk.

Zenyatta To Crush
04-10-2009, 12:59 AM
I think Gomez is waiting until after the races this weekend to make his final decision. If things work out where it looks really good for Dunkirk, I bet you chooses Dunkirk. But I don't think it will be a crystal clear picture of who's pointing for the derby and he'll choose Pioneerof The Nile. He won't wait until the week of the derby to make his decision.

I think Dunkirk would have a better chance in the Derby than Pioneerof The Nile. Dunkirk has the same history against him that Curlin had, but he just seems more talented.

W2G
04-10-2009, 09:56 AM
I think Gomez is waiting until after the races this weekend to make his final decision. If things work out where it looks really good for Dunkirk, I bet you chooses Dunkirk. But I don't think it will be a crystal clear picture of who's pointing for the derby and he'll choose Pioneerof The Nile. He won't wait until the week of the derby to make his decision.

I think Dunkirk would have a better chance in the Derby than Pioneerof The Nile. Dunkirk has the same history against him that Curlin had, but he just seems more talented.

I agree with this. Pretty good chance that after this weekend Dunkirk's position in the top 20 earners who are likely to go will still be on the bubble. Interesting to see how this plays out. Prado is one notable rider needing a Derby mount.