PDA

View Full Version : Asians asked to change their names?

Dahoss9698
04-09-2009, 08:45 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6365320.html

Okay, even if you believe her lame excuse, and it's lame, it's still a really stupid thing to say.

PaceAdvantage
04-09-2009, 08:48 PM
This sounds like one of those "perch" stories. You know, the kind they put up a few days ago to see who out of Tom or JustRalph would post it here faster?

Now it seems like it's your turn....:lol:

Dahoss9698
04-09-2009, 09:12 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/04/09/asian-americans-blast-offensive-comment-texas-lawmaker/

rastajenk
04-09-2009, 10:44 PM
From the Fox link: An acadamician asks, "Did America have problems with its Russian, Polish, and Eastern European immigrants or refugees who passed through Ellis Island? Were not their names also difficult to pronounce or spell? Asian names are no more difficult, in my view."

Answer: Dude, most of them changed their names somehow. And they didn't whine about it.

Dahoss9698
04-09-2009, 10:57 PM
From the Fox link: An acadamician asks, "Did America have problems with its Russian, Polish, and Eastern European immigrants or refugees who passed through Ellis Island? Were not their names also difficult to pronounce or spell? Asian names are no more difficult, in my view."

Answer: Dude, most of them changed their names somehow. And they didn't whine about it.

Dude, that was a long time ago. You don't think there would be outrage now if she proposed the same thing to Russian or Polish immigrants? Someone asks you to change your name now, and you're cool with it? I wouldn't be.

rastajenk
04-09-2009, 11:19 PM
Hey, I didn't bring up immigration from a hundred years ago. A UCLA professor did, and he acts like they didn't have to do anything to assimilate. He's wrong.

Sure, times change. But that doesn't make the quote useful.

Dahoss9698
04-09-2009, 11:22 PM
Well, it's a good thing we made note of how incorrect that UCLA professor was. Nevermind the moron asking people in 2009 to change their names.

Tom
04-09-2009, 11:47 PM
The moron is almost as stupid as the moron in the WH who is talking amnesty for 12 million law breakers in the midst of almost 9% unemployment and 70% public opinion to the contrary.

Obama, he is Da-moron. Dahoss's arse fer sure.

Dahoss9698
04-09-2009, 11:51 PM
I'm shocked this was turned into an Obama whine.

Tom
04-10-2009, 12:03 AM
You brought up morons ans stupid policies, and who better than Obama to be the poster boy of stark lunacy? Well, second best maybe.

Lefty
04-10-2009, 12:10 AM
dahoss, since Obama is talking about a "pathway" to legalize illegal immigrants, that makes it a fact. i ask you, how can a fact be construed as a whine? Inquiring minds want to know.

Dahoss9698
04-10-2009, 09:45 AM
I'll go slow Lefty, as it's clear you aren't the sharpest tool around. It's an Obama whine because this thread had nothing to do with Obama or any of his policies. It's pretty clear at this point what Tummy's opinion is of Obama. This thread is about a stupid comment that someone made. Obama has nothing to do with this. But Tummy can't control himself, that much is clear, so everything is turned into the same running thread.

What do you think about what this woman said? Would you want to change your name if some lawmaker deemed it too difficult to deal with? This isn't a liberal/conservative issue. If the woman that said it was a Democrat I would have the same opinion about it. Not everything is a pissing match, no matter how bad Tummy wants to make it one.

Tom
04-10-2009, 10:55 AM
Dahoss.....you want to grow up and knock off the personal insults here?
Lefty did nothing to warrant your stupid comment. Your inability to discuss things is no excuse for your behavior.

BTW, he has posted far more intelligent stuff here than you ever have!

Dahoss9698
04-10-2009, 11:12 AM
That's rich Tummy. I guess when you, or he, or Boxcar, etc make personal insults it's okay. Stop being such a hypocrite.

Tom
04-10-2009, 11:19 AM
Let me summarize:

A point is made.
A lib immediately points fingers at others to justify his own actions.
The lib never addresses the original point.
The lib throws in a personal attack to make himself feel tough.

That about it?

Dahoss9698
04-10-2009, 11:33 AM
Let me summarize:

A point is made.
A lib immediately points fingers at others to justify his own actions.
The lib never addresses the original point.
The lib throws in a personal attack to make himself feel tough.

That about it?

You've really twisted this one up as usual. I made the initial point. To which YOU turned it into another Obama whine. What does this topic have to do with Obama? Answer.....nothing. But YOU cannot help yourself, obviously. Have you addressed the initial point? What fingers have I pointed?

rastajenk
04-10-2009, 12:14 PM
And what is the original point? Some Republican made a ill-advised comment in a state committee hearing; no policy will come from it. So a journalist asks around to all the relative grievance-based associations and gets the predicted responses, and includes a professor from another state 1500 miles away. Are we to extrapolate that all Republicans must be stupid, xenophobic, vote-suppressing cretins? If that's your point, say so.

Dahoss9698
04-10-2009, 12:29 PM
And what is the original point? Some Republican made a ill-advised comment in a state committee hearing; no policy will come from it. So a journalist asks around to all the relative grievance-based associations and gets the predicted responses, and includes a professor from another state 1500 miles away. Are we to extrapolate that all Republicans must be stupid, xenophobic, vote-suppressing cretins? If that's your point, say so.

Show me where I said all Republicans are like you said. The original point is that it was a stupid thing to say. I was wondering what others here thought about it. That was it. That's still allowed right?

ddog
04-10-2009, 01:45 PM

well the dictionary, other than xenophobic seems to fit.

pugs THESE DAYS have to be mostly as you say or they would never ID with this bunch of fools. The standard bearer of the pugs , the defacto leader i guess the pugs voted for last time , is exactly where bama is on this ..???

Not to say the other dimwits are even as good.

LottaKash
04-10-2009, 02:09 PM
"Vito Corleone"....

best,

GaryG
04-10-2009, 02:59 PM
A large number of Asians who either live here or do business here adopt an English first name. I doubt that they change their names, but they do this to make it more comfortable for us to do business with them. Like Johnny Chang, Tony Wang or maybe Elvis Hsu.

Tom
04-10-2009, 04:01 PM
BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA used the name BARRY for a time.

Gee, go figure!:lol::lol::lol:

JustRalph
04-10-2009, 04:57 PM
" Ok Mr. Yamamoto............we have changed your name to Jones. Now step over here for the driving test............."
:lol:

it's a joke........... :lol: get over it

Steve 'StatMan'
04-10-2009, 05:31 PM
Then there was the oriental baseball player, that started his U.S. career on the road. He thought his name had been changed when, every time he came to bat, he heard the crowd yelling 'Yu Suck!'

PaceAdvantage
04-10-2009, 07:20 PM
You've really twisted this one up as usual. I made the initial point. To which YOU turned it into another Obama whine. What does this topic have to do with Obama? Answer.....nothing. But YOU cannot help yourself, obviously. Have you addressed the initial point? What fingers have I pointed?Again, he's just taking the lead from Hcap, Secretariat, LJB and other left-leaning folks who at times loved to turn even the most innocuous thread in off-topic into a Bush-bash festival.

Where were you when they were doing that these past eight years? Now you feign shock, outrage, disgust and disbelief? :lol:

Tom
04-10-2009, 09:06 PM
People changing their names for various reasons is hardly new:

Adam Faith - Terence Nelhams
Alicia Keys - Alicia Augello Cook
Barry Manilow - Barry Alan Pincus
Benjamin Orr (The Cars) - Benjamin Orzechowski.
Billie Holiday - Eleanora Fagan
Billy Idol - William Michael Albert Broad
Bobby Rydell - Robert Ridarelli
Bob Dylan - Robert Zimmerman
Bobby Darin - Walden Waldo Robert Cassotto
Brenda Lee - Brenda Mae Tarpley
Bing Crosby - Harry Lillis Crosby
Bob Dylan - Robert Allen Zimmerman
Bobby Darin - Walden Robert Cassetto
Cat Stevens - Steven Demetre Georgiou
Chris Curtis (The Searchers) - Christopher Crummey
Chris Farlowe - John Henry Deighton
Connie Francis - Concetta Rosa Maria Franconero
Crystal Gayle - Brenda Gail Webb Gatzimos
Da Brat - Shawntae Harris
Dahoss – Boy George
Dave "Baby" Cortez - David Clowney
Dave Dudley - David Pedruska
Elliot Easton (The Cars) - Elliot Steinberg
Eric Clapton - Eric Patrick Clapp
Fabian - Fabiona Forte Bonaparte
Fiona Apple - Fiona Apple Maggart

Frankie Valli (Four Seasons) - Francis Castelluccio
Freddy Cannon - Freddy Picariello
Freddie Mercury (Queen) - Frederick Farookh Bulsara
Gloria Estefan - Gloria Maria Fajardo
Iggy Pop - James Jewell Osterberg, Jr.
John Denver - John Henry Deutschendorf
Johnny Rivers - John Ramistella
Lesley Gore - Lesley Goldstein
Lou Christie - Lugee Alfredo Giovanni Sacco
Manfred Mann - Manfred Lubowitz
Peggy Lee - Norma Egstrom
Perry Como - Pierino Roland Como
Ray Stevens - Harold Ray Ragsdale
Steve Lawrence - Stephen Leibowitz
Tammy Wynette - Virginia Pugh

chickenhead
04-10-2009, 09:15 PM
I can't pronounce or spell the names of half the people I work with. I just give them funny nicknames that sound similar enough that people know who I'm talking about.

ArlJim78
04-10-2009, 09:22 PM
that's a very comprehensive list tom.:D

hcap
04-10-2009, 10:21 PM
Again, he's just taking the lead from Hcap, Secretariat, LJB and other left-leaning folks who at times loved to turn even the most innocuous thread in off-topic into a Bush-bash festival.

Where were you when they were doing that these past eight years? Now you feign shock, outrage, disgust and disbelief? :lol:That is almost the way every thread on off-topic devolves NOW. Once again you cannot support your lame theory. This goes quite well with your delusional theory that "the left dominates off-topic". Meanwhile, the usual whining tone of the very small minded far right alternate universe bizzarro world, here is amazing.

Did you swallow the blue pill or the red pill?

I guess all you gentlemen are living in that alternate mirror universe where Spock has a goatee.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/56/STMirrorMirror.jpg/180px-STMirrorMirror.jpg

Tom
04-10-2009, 10:30 PM
EqP3wT5lpa4

Dahoss9698
04-11-2009, 01:40 AM
People changing their names for various reasons is hardly new:

Adam Faith - Terence Nelhams
Alicia Keys - Alicia Augello Cook
Barry Manilow - Barry Alan Pincus
Benjamin Orr (The Cars) - Benjamin Orzechowski.
Billie Holiday - Eleanora Fagan
Billy Idol - William Michael Albert Broad
Bobby Rydell - Robert Ridarelli
Bob Dylan - Robert Zimmerman
Bobby Darin - Walden Waldo Robert Cassotto
Brenda Lee - Brenda Mae Tarpley
Bing Crosby - Harry Lillis Crosby
Bob Dylan - Robert Allen Zimmerman
Bobby Darin - Walden Robert Cassetto
Cat Stevens - Steven Demetre Georgiou
Chris Curtis (The Searchers) - Christopher Crummey
Chris Farlowe - John Henry Deighton
Connie Francis - Concetta Rosa Maria Franconero
Crystal Gayle - Brenda Gail Webb Gatzimos
Da Brat - Shawntae Harris
Dahoss – Boy George
Dave "Baby" Cortez - David Clowney
Dave Dudley - David Pedruska
Elliot Easton (The Cars) - Elliot Steinberg
Eric Clapton - Eric Patrick Clapp
Fabian - Fabiona Forte Bonaparte
Fiona Apple - Fiona Apple Maggart

Frankie Valli (Four Seasons) - Francis Castelluccio
Freddy Cannon - Freddy Picariello
Freddie Mercury (Queen) - Frederick Farookh Bulsara
Gloria Estefan - Gloria Maria Fajardo
Iggy Pop - James Jewell Osterberg, Jr.
John Denver - John Henry Deutschendorf
Johnny Rivers - John Ramistella
Lesley Gore - Lesley Goldstein
Lou Christie - Lugee Alfredo Giovanni Sacco
Manfred Mann - Manfred Lubowitz
Peggy Lee - Norma Egstrom
Perry Como - Pierino Roland Como
Ray Stevens - Harold Ray Ragsdale
Steve Lawrence - Stephen Leibowitz
Tammy Wynette - Virginia Pugh

This is actually kind of funny Tummy. It took you 30,000 or so posts, but I have toi give it to you, it's funny. I guess I should follow your lead and cry that you're attacking me now, right?

Dahoss9698
04-11-2009, 01:45 AM
Again, he's just taking the lead from Hcap, Secretariat, LJB and other left-leaning folks who at times loved to turn even the most innocuous thread in off-topic into a Bush-bash festival.

Where were you when they were doing that these past eight years? Now you feign shock, outrage, disgust and disbelief? :lol:

We should dedicate a drinking game to this excuse. Everytime you defend Tummy using this excuse we should all take a shot.

Here's why this is so funny. Tummy was actually the one complaining. I just pointed out that what he was complaining about, he does all day long on here. You guys are a trip. You all take turns giving shots to Hcap and anyone else who dares offer a different side. But when those people battle back, we're attacking. When we point out how ridiculous this room has become, we're the crazy ones.

rastajenk
04-11-2009, 01:52 AM
"When we point out how ridiculous this room has become, we're the crazy ones."

Now you're gettin' it. :jump:

PaceAdvantage
04-11-2009, 10:34 PM
You guys are a trip. You all take turns giving shots to Hcap and anyone else who dares offer a different side. But when those people battle back, we're attacking. When we point out how ridiculous this room has become, we're the crazy ones.See if you can answer me this question honestly and seriously. You've been here since 9/07 so you've been here long enough.

Are you going to sit here and deny to me that there wasn't a constant stream of anti-Bush administration threads and posts that completely dominated off-topic while Bush was in office? Are you going to sit here and deny to me that while 46zilzal was still a member here, he didn't take almost any chance, no matter the subject, to inject his anti-Bush rhetoric, whether it be about Iraq, Katrina, the economy, Iraq, Iraq or Iraq?

Are you going to sit here and deny to me that Hcap didn't do the same?

The fact is, off-topic was dominated by anti-Bush, anti-Republican notes and threads started by a handful of folks, with the right-leaning folks "battling back" as you say. The left was on the "attack" as you say....

The reverse is happening now. This can't be denied by anyone who has spent an appreciable amount of time here in off-topic.

I can't fathom why you claim off-topic is "ridiculous" now, but you were silent on the issue right up until the time Obama became President. Why was it not "ridiculous" back when Bush was President? Was it because you agreed with the folks who were doing all the "attacking" back then?

This is the only way I can reconcile your actions...of course, this would also make you a hypocrite, which is OK. Everyone needs a purpose in life.

Dahoss9698
04-11-2009, 11:03 PM
I've been here since 9/07 and have made around 500 posts. Obviously I'm not here much. And it doesn't take a detective to see I rarely if ever posted in the political room until the election. So I can't give you an honest answer about how this room was while Bush was in office.

I can only comment on what the room is like now. In my opinion it's ridiculous. It's nothing personal, although by allowing certain people to do or say whatever they want, while chastising others for the same thing is kind of lame. but, it's a war zone. You even mentioned closing the room down because of how it is, so you clearly agree at least somewhat with me. I mean, would you threaten to close the room down if everything was going good? Maybe it's me...

I guess what I don't get is, what do you guys get out of complaining about something you can't change....all day long. Is it that exciting posting an anti-liberal thread and then watching your buddies one by one chime in?

I do find it admirable how you blindly defend your little pet Tummy. Like you said, everyone needs a purpose in life.

ArlJim78
04-22-2009, 11:47 AM
I guess the Chinese government is also filled with morons because they are now asking some of their own people to change their names.
Their lame excuse is that its confusing for them to keep track of on computers given all the rare characters that are used.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/21/world/asia/21china.html?_r=2&ref=world

"For Ma Cheng and millions of others, Chinese parents’ desire to give their children a spark of individuality is colliding head-on with the Chinese bureaucracy’s desire for order. Seeking to modernize its vast database on China’s 1.3 billion citizens, the government’s Public Security Bureau has been replacing the handwritten identity card that every Chinese must carry with a computer-readable one, complete with color photos and embedded microchips. The new cards are harder to forge and can be scanned at places like airports where security is a priority.

The bureau’s computers, however, are programmed to read only 32,252 of the roughly 55,000 Chinese characters, according to a 2006 government report. The result is that Miss Ma and at least some of the 60 million other Chinese with obscure characters in their names cannot get new cards — unless they change their names to something more common."

Tom
04-22-2009, 12:48 PM
Typing in China has got to be tough.....

boxcar
04-22-2009, 12:49 PM
I've been here since 9/07 and have made around 500 posts. Obviously I'm not here much. And it doesn't take a detective to see I rarely if ever posted in the political room until the election. So I can't give you an honest answer about how this room was while Bush was in office.

I can only comment on what the room is like now. In my opinion it's ridiculous.

How very convenient. The truth of what PA wrote is so inconvenient that the best you can say is that I don't know how things were before the last election. :rolleyes: Well then...permit me to offer you some advice: It's time for you to wake up and smell the coffee, already. Break out of your little self-imposed shell and get a whiff of reality -- the real world. You'll find that your comrades on the left aren't the little angels that you, evidently, so naively believe they are.

P.S. It also wouldn't take much detective work for YOU to check out the facts as PA has presented them.

Boxcar

Dahoss9698
04-22-2009, 01:06 PM
How very convenient. The truth of what PA wrote is so inconvenient that the best you can say is that I don't know how things were before the last election. :rolleyes: Well then...permit me to offer you some advice: It's time for you to wake up and smell the coffee, already. Break out of your little self-imposed shell and get a whiff of reality -- the real world. You'll find that your comrades on the left aren't the little angels that you, evidently, so naively believe they are.

P.S. It also wouldn't take much detective work for YOU to check out the facts as PA has presented them.

Boxcar

Thanks for the lecture...I mean advice. And thank you for explaining the real world to me. I'm going to listen, because you really seem to have a strong grip on reality.

Permit me to offer you some advice; it's time for you to stop taking yourself so seriously. Everyone else has, so come on and join the rest of us.

boxcar
04-22-2009, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the lecture...I mean advice. And thank you for explaining the real world to me. I'm going to listen, because you really seem to have a strong grip on reality.

Permit me to offer you some advice; it's time for you to stop taking yourself so seriously. Everyone else has, so come on and join the rest of us.

No thanks. I have an aversion to the sheeple mentality; but I see that you wear yours well. When you reach the dark pit, have a nice trip down.

Boxcar

Tom
04-22-2009, 01:53 PM
A Chinese typist......

Dahoss9698
04-22-2009, 01:58 PM
No thanks. I have an aversion to the sheeple mentality; but I see that you wear yours well. When you reach the dark pit, have a nice trip down.

Boxcar

Thanks for the well wishes. Allow me to offer up some more advice. I think it's time for you to break out of your little self imposed shell and smell the coffee. The real world is a lot different than it was the last time you were actually part of it. Open up to it a little and I promise you won't come off so scared and clueless. Well, I can't promise that, but you won't feel so afraid by ideas and thoughts that don't agree with your view of how life is.

Marshall Bennett
04-22-2009, 02:02 PM
A Chinese typist......
Obama types Chinese ? :lol:

PaceAdvantage
04-22-2009, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the well wishes. Allow me to offer up some more advice. I think it's time for you to break out of your little self imposed shell and smell the coffee. The real world is a lot different than it was the last time you were actually part of it. Open up to it a little and I promise you won't come off so scared and clueless. Well, I can't promise that, but you won't feel so afraid by ideas and thoughts that don't agree with your view of how life is.This is just such a meaningless concept. Did YOU open up a little bit when Republicans controlled everything? How about all those ideas that didn't agree with your view of how life is...did Republicans and "conservatives" being in charge help you change your mind about stuff?

It sounds to me as if you are asking Boxcar to either change his views or be more accepting of ideas that clearly disagree with his own simply because a certain party or group is now in the majority.

What did I miss? This is still America, right?

Dahoss9698
04-22-2009, 11:47 PM
This is just such a meaningless concept. Did YOU open up a little bit when Republicans controlled everything? How about all those ideas that didn't agree with your view of how life is...did Republicans and "conservatives" being in charge help you change your mind about stuff?

It sounds to me as if you are asking Boxcar to either change his views or be more accepting of ideas that clearly disagree with his own simply because a certain party or group is now in the majority.

What did I miss? This is still America, right?

It has nothing to do with what party is in office. The times have changed a lot in 20 years. That is what I am referring to. From reading his posts I think he's stuck in the past.

I'm not really sure where you got your second paragraph from, but well done. That's some twist. I'm not asking anyone to do or change anything. I was offered some advice (which you ignored ironically), so I offered up some back. I think it would behoove Boxcar to at least open up to ideas different than his own, because I feel the world as he sees it has changed.

PaceAdvantage
04-23-2009, 03:11 AM
I'm not really sure where you got your second paragraph from, but well done.I thought it was obvious:

"Open up to it a little and I promise you won't come off so scared and clueless. Well, I can't promise that, but you won't feel so afraid by ideas and thoughts that don't agree with your view of how life is."

Despite your additional clarification, I think my reply is still valid. And I don't understand how my failure to address Boxcar's advice to you has any bearing on what I did choose to comment on.

Dahoss9698
04-23-2009, 11:34 AM
I thought it was obvious:

"Open up to it a little and I promise you won't come off so scared and clueless. Well, I can't promise that, but you won't feel so afraid by ideas and thoughts that don't agree with your view of how life is."

Despite your additional clarification, I think my reply is still valid. And I don't understand how my failure to address Boxcar's advice to you has any bearing on what I did choose to comment on.

I said that as a response to this, maybe you missed it

Boxcar

Basically Boxcar feels my ideas and thoughts are wrong, so he wants me to wake up. He offered me some advice. I think the same about him, so I expressed it to him, and offered him advice just like he did to me.

So what's the big deal? This is America still right? You go out of your way to chastise me for defending myself? Fair and balanced I see.

PaceAdvantage
04-23-2009, 06:54 PM
Dahoss, this line of yours made all the difference to me:

"The real world is a lot different than it was the last time you were actually part of it."

To me, this implied that now that America is being run by a left-leaning administration, it's time for Boxcar to open up and accept a little more of what the majority voted for in the last election. Kind of struck me as a little strange to be saying something like that...

If I interpreted you incorrectly, I apologize.

Dahoss9698
04-23-2009, 06:58 PM
Apology accepted.