PDA

View Full Version : Blurry Youbet feed

Saratoga_Mike
04-09-2009, 07:52 PM
I sometimes watch races that aren't carried on my cable's racing channel on youbet.com (via espn.com - I'm not a youbet.com account holder). Over the past week or so, the video has been blurry. Prior to that, it was almost as if I were watching the race on TV. I think the video is delivered through the Adobe Flash Player. I'm not a techie. Is there anything I can do to improve the picture quality? I use Comcast broadband and nothing has changed on that front.

Steve 'StatMan'
04-09-2009, 08:08 PM
I haven't bet the races online in quite a while, but I did watch a race recently on Youbet through my Comcast broadband and it too seemed blurier than in the past. I do remember Comcast, within the last 2-3 months, that they were separating their service, and offering a faster-higher priority broadband service for a premium price, and a regular broadband service with less speed but still good for downloading data files. I didn't do the service upgrade, and was thinking that might be it, but would like to know more, esp. if that is not the reason for less sharp video - it was fine in 'regular' format on Youbet which is the old 2x size. Watching YouTube videos still seems pretty good - no complaints there.

Saratoga_Mike
04-09-2009, 08:12 PM
Youtube videos are still fine for me, too. I think the video used to be delivered through the Real Media video player and now it's the Adobe Flash Player, but who knows. Besides the brand names, I don't know how the two might differ, or even if I'm right about Real Media being the previous video platform.

Steve 'StatMan'
04-09-2009, 08:33 PM
I just checked it again - It currently uses Adobe Flash Player. Still blurry for me tonight, even in regular and small mode. Not sure if there were recent automatic updates for Adobe that may have made changed this - I know I ended up with a Adobe Reader update.

My laptop I do all my work and communicating on is also very low on free hard drive space, and I tend to have a lot of windows open, so available memory might be an issue on mine as well. (Think I have 3 GB left on my 60GB drive) 1GM Ram overall (2003 laptop) but things may take up a lot more memory now, so that can't help my own situation any.

As I said earlier, I'm not betting often, home or at track right now, hopefully that will change in the near future, so then I'll definitely want to have this better.

I haven't checked my Twin Spires video with Windows Player lately, I wonder if that has changed as well - if so that would indicate internet or computer problems on my end, and not the ADW video.

Don't know how much if this applies to you Mike. Just thinking and sharing experiences at this point.