PDA

View Full Version : Top Derby Preps

MickJ26
04-09-2009, 06:27 PM
In their ads, TVG is billing the Blue Grass as "America's top Derby prep" or words to that effect. TVG is promoting their own agenda obviously. Just wondering what you folks think is the top Derby prep. We have the Wood Memorial, Santa Anita Derby, Arkansas Derby, Louisiana Derby, Blue Grass, Illinois Derby and Florida Derby. I don't think I'm leaving any out. Factor in prestige, quality of field, past Derby winners, etc. I'm sure all of your opinions will be excellent.

MNslappy
04-09-2009, 07:04 PM
1-Fla
2-Wood
4-Ark
3-LA
5-SA
6-Illinois
7-Bluegrass

And I have nothing to back that up!

SA has to be relatively low, IMO, because of the surface.

plainolebill
04-09-2009, 07:07 PM
Has a winner of the LA Derby won the Kentucky Derby lately? Or ever?

MNslappy
04-09-2009, 07:14 PM
have to wikipedia that one...

Grindstone, 1996
And Risen Star went on to win the Preakness and Belmont in 1988

discodog
04-09-2009, 07:27 PM
Whoever wins the Derby will have come out of the Top Prep.

MickJ26
04-09-2009, 07:37 PM
1-Fla
2-Wood
4-Ark
3-LA
5-SA
6-Illinois
7-Bluegrass

And I have nothing to back that up!

SA has to be relatively low, IMO, because of the surface.

The Florida Derby has produced two of the last three Derby winners. The Arkansas Derby has produced Smarty Jones and even though he didn't win the Derby, Curlin.

FlyinLate
04-09-2009, 07:52 PM
In their ads, TVG is billing the Blue Grass as "America's top Derby prep" or words to that effect. TVG is promoting their own agenda obviously. Just wondering what you folks think is the top Derby prep. We have the Wood Memorial, Santa Anita Derby, Arkansas Derby, Louisiana Derby, Blue Grass, Illinois Derby and Florida Derby. I don't think I'm leaving any out. Factor in prestige, quality of field, past Derby winners, etc. I'm sure all of your opinions will be excellent.

1-Florida Derby
2-Arkansas Derby
3-Wood Memorial
4-Santa Anita Derby
5-Illinois Derby
6-Louisiana Derby
7-Blue Grass