PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Betting The Masters?

NJ Stinks
04-09-2009, 01:45 AM
Unfortunately, I'm not allowed to have that kind of fun here in NJ for inexplicable reasons. But if I could I'd take:

Kenny Perry 65-1

Padraig Harrington 16-1

WSEX has Tiger at 2-1 and while that may the right price, I'm looking for value! :cool:

LottaKash
04-09-2009, 03:34 PM
PH @16/1 is a nice price.....He's done it before.....

best,

Marshall Bennett
04-09-2009, 03:38 PM
I would think Tiger would be no better than 4-1 . 2-1 seems unreasonable for even Tiger against such a field .

strapper
04-10-2009, 11:09 AM
My pick is a longshot, Nick Watney.

Rocklane
04-10-2009, 12:02 PM
I hope Furyk wins. Very underrated.

The Golf Channel has 30 people there and are covering every angle. Too bad they can't show the ****en GAME!

beertapper
04-10-2009, 10:08 PM
a quick browse at betfair still has tiger as the favourite to win...at 6-1, although kenny perry is right there at 6 also... despite down 7 strokes, tiger certainly got the bettors convinced. i'm guessing they are expecting some awe inspiring golf this weekend. if there's anyone who can pull it off, it's him.

i dont follow golf too closely...how do you handicap a player and their form? being consistent is so difficult, it's like a real crapshoot.. just take a few at some good prices (over 100-1) and hope for the best?

rastajenk
04-11-2009, 12:03 AM
I'll take a Sandy Lyle-Larry Mize exacta, please. For old-timers' sake.

NJ Stinks
04-11-2009, 02:11 AM
My Dad and I had Sandy Lyle when he won the Masters. Dad picked him and I was the one who suggested we go to England. :blush:

Not that we there just to play the Masters, of course. :)

cj's dad
04-13-2009, 12:49 PM
Unfortunately, I'm not allowed to have that kind of fun here in NJ for inexplicable reasons. But if I could I'd take:

Kenny Perry 65-1

Padraig Harrington 16-1

WSEX has Tiger at 2-1 and while that may the right price, I'm looking for value! :cool:

Hell of a pick until he choked !! What a shame - seems like a truly nice guy !

NJ Stinks
04-15-2009, 12:52 AM
I must admit I was really surprised Kenny couldn't handle the pressure, CJ's Dad. But being the man he is he 'fessed up and admitted as much.

Obviously, at 48 it's unlikely he will ever get that close again at winning major.

ezrabrooks
04-15-2009, 11:56 AM
NJ...with your Perry pick, your golf knowledge stock went through the roof. Do you think Tiger breaking Jack's Major Record is the gimmee that it was 2-3 years ago?

Ez

NJ Stinks
04-15-2009, 04:40 PM
I just got lucky with Kenny, Ez. :) I figured he was winning more than most in the last year or so. So why the 65-1?

As for Tiger vs. Jack, I agree with those that say Nicklaus faced far superior competition than Woods does today. So I would guess Tiger is 1-2 to break the record. (Even Isbets might have to hesitate a minute before he told me I was wrong as usual ! :p :))

Greyfox
04-15-2009, 04:51 PM
I just got lucky with Kenny, Ez. :) I figured he was winning more than most in the last year or so. So why the 65-1?

As for Tiger vs. Jack, I agree with those that say Nicklaus faced far superior competition than Woods does today. So I would guess Tiger is 1-2 to break the record. (Even Isbets might have to hesitate a minute before he told me I was wrong as usual ! :p :))

We disagree.
Comparisons between golf eras are unfair in that there have been tremendous equipment changes to the ball, the clubs, the greens, the layouts and so on.
Having seen multiple decades of golf come and go, and being an ardent Nicklaus fan, I believe that today's competition is as tough or tougher than ever.
Today's top golfers are in better physical condition than those of yester year, in general. Jack got himself by playing basketball and tennis. These guys do more, they have cross training, sports psychologists, frequent personal coaching and so on.
Cabrera and Perry are anomolies. Both don't look in very good shape to me.
Yet both went to the end.

ezrabrooks
04-15-2009, 04:51 PM

When away from the Off Topic-General (Political) thread, I think we can get along. 1/2...pretty strong. So many young guns (Kenny Perry?) coming along, I am of the opinion that it will take a while to get the last five.

I was in a golf fantasy league a couple of years ago, and found that picking golfers is tough duty....that is why your Perry selection was impressive (even if he did falter late)

Ez

NJ Stinks
04-15-2009, 08:45 PM
We disagree.
Comparisons between golf eras are unfair in that there have been tremendous equipment changes to the ball, the clubs, the greens, the layouts and so on.
Having seen multiple decades of golf come and go, and being an ardent Nicklaus fan, I believe that today's competition is as tough or tougher than ever.
Today's top golfers are in better physical condition than those of yester year, in general. Jack got himself by playing basketball and tennis. These guys do more, they have cross training, sports psychologists, frequent personal coaching and so on.
Cabrera and Perry are anomolies. Both don't look in very good shape to me.
Yet both went to the end.

I acknowledge that players today are in better shape and hit the ball further. But (there's always a but!:) ) a player today still has to perform when the pressure is on. You can have the best equipment or be in tip-top shape but you still have to make the shot when the pressure is on. I know this is only my opinion but to me Nicklaus played against a lot of guys who didn't wilt under pressure. Not so with Woods' competition today. I read somewhere that Nicklaus finished second in majors many times. That must mean something, Greyfox. No? :confused:

NJ Stinks
04-15-2009, 09:05 PM
When away from the Off Topic-General (Political) thread, I think we can get along.

Ez

No doubt I'm not making many friends here up there. But overall I enjoy the give and take. I'm sure in real life we both have liberal and conservative friends. Politics is only one aspect of somebody's makeup and not a big part of their overall character IMO.

Greyfox
04-15-2009, 09:24 PM
I read somewhere that Nicklaus finished second in majors many times. That must mean something, Greyfox. No? :confused:

Jack had 19 runner up finishes in majors, a record that Tiger will never match.
But if Jack were 30 today, he would have to play better than when he was 30 to succeed. I suspect that Jack would have risen to the challenge. He had true grit for determination.

098poi
04-15-2009, 09:47 PM
Like the commercial says, "These guys are good"! Tiger has plenty of competition. He has 14 Pro majors and Jack had 18. Tiger is only 33 now and a lot of golfers hit their prime in their 30's. I think barring injury Tiger will pass Jack. I'll be watching.