PDA

View Full Version : Bayakoa

kroebuck67
04-08-2009, 11:10 PM
So I'm watching the horses in the paddock (they were brought in before they were saddled outside), and I notice both Distinctive Dixie and Tammy's Victress twitching like crazy in the paddock. I've observed horses in this condition before go wire-to-wire in a race.

I don't always do a paddock inspection before a race, but I was glad I did this time. I was sold on Euphony, so I keyed him, included the above horses underneath, and hit the Tri. I would have gone in a different direction otherwise.

Were these two "tweaking" from a very recent Lasix dose, or was it something else? None in the field were first-time-Lasix.

slewis
04-08-2009, 11:21 PM
So I'm watching the horses in the paddock (they were brought in before they were saddled outside), and I notice both Distinctive Dixie and Tammy's Victress twitching like crazy in the paddock. I've observed horses in this condition before go wire-to-wire in a race.

I don't always do a paddock inspection before a race, but I was glad I did this time. I was sold on Euphony, so I keyed him, included the above horses underneath, and hit the Tri. I would have gone in a different direction otherwise.

Were these two "tweaking" from a very recent Lasix dose, or was it something else? None in the field were first-time-Lasix.

If the "twitching" your seeing is in the hind qtr muscles and/or shoulder area... it's just nervousness from knowing they'll be racing...adreneline... (no they dont understand the concept of racing, but they are bred to run and have been conditioned to the race process, etc).

Not unusual.. any professional athlete will tell you about "pre-game butteflies or jitters". Football players will often say they need the first hit to occur to get rid of that edge....

Most horses will have a personna, if you're diligent, track them more as individuals as opposed to "what works for this one WILL work for all".

Good work ....

kroebuck67
04-09-2009, 12:06 AM
Thanks slewis, for the explanation and the kudos. An educated guess, from your name, that you had a vested interest in the place horse... if so, a tough beat, but a fine effort nonetheless.

thelyingthief
04-14-2009, 12:47 PM
it's just flies.

tlt-

BIG49010
04-14-2009, 03:27 PM

FYI - Lasix is a downer for horses, not an upper.