PDA

View Full Version : Tampa Bay Downs

JWBurnie
04-07-2009, 03:35 PM
I attended Tampa Bay Downs for the first time this past Saturday...it was FL Bred Stakes day. What a great operation it appeared to be. It's not all that attractive to the eye, but the overall experience was great. From, the fields, to the crowd, to the employees, to ticket lines...they were all pleasant experiences. They really cater to handicappers...similar to DEL. Food was good, and cheap. Backside was peaceful. The poker room was cool too.

Only complaint was the gift shop was down to S & M in just about everything. I was told it was the last week of their meet, so I'll give them a pass.

I'll be back to get my shirt...enjoy some sun and watch the ponies run.

Good times had by all.

I highly recommend visiting TBD.

NJ Stinks
04-07-2009, 06:37 PM
Glad you had a good time, JWBurnie. I want to go to Tampa Bay Downs with my wife next year. Can you recommend a nice place or area where we may stay?

fmolf
04-07-2009, 06:53 PM
i am glad to hear that!...i am going on the tues or wed after easter.....the last day of racing is 4/28/09...i hope they have a hat in the gift shop for my collection...i only collect hats bought on track an try to pick the most unique one...do they have an area to sit in the sun an watch the races and can we bring our own coolers in?

pktruckdriver
04-07-2009, 06:56 PM
Glad you had a good time, JWBurnie. I want to go to Tampa Bay Downs with my wife next year. Can you recommend a nice place or area where we may stay?

Old Towne Oldsmar are is very nice and close to the track too.

patrick

JWBurnie
04-07-2009, 08:50 PM
nj stinks- I stayed in Sarasota, an hour + away. Sorry, I'm no help on a good place to stay. It's in a nice area though...kind of out by itself.

fmolf - they had plenty of nice hats.
You'll have no trouble finding a bench or table to soak up the sun. The grandstand is open and provides a great view of the whole track.
I didn't see any coolers....Beers were $3.50, and drank well.

Tampa Russ
04-07-2009, 09:08 PM
i am glad to hear that!...i am going on the tues or wed after easter.....the last day of racing is 4/28/09...i hope they have a hat in the gift shop for my collection...i only collect hats bought on track an try to pick the most unique one...do they have an area to sit in the sun an watch the races and can we bring our own coolers in?

Park in the lot located across the street from the big tent at the 1/8th pole. Grab your cooler (no glass bottles allowed officially) and head back across the street to the tent. Plenty of tables under the shade and in the sun. The paddock is right there, and you can walk over to the grandstand gift shop whenever you like.

Tampa Russ
04-07-2009, 09:11 PM

If all you care about is the racing, I'd stay right in Oldsmar...HI Express, Hilton Garden Inn, 1.5 miles from track. If you want the beach and don't mind the drive, I prefer Sand Key, just south of Clearwater Beach.

NJ Stinks
04-08-2009, 12:10 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. :cool: I'll write them down for future reference.

hracingplyr
04-08-2009, 08:58 AM
Hi Guys,

I live in Largo Florida around 30 min from the track and go quite a bit. I rent my mobil home out to friends when they come down and want to go to the track. Only thing is you have to be 55 or older and no kids. But if you want to know places to stay drop me an e-mail and i can give you places close to the track or close to the beach. I am only 10 min from the beach. ctguy2579@yahoo.com

Bob

rrbauer
04-08-2009, 04:27 PM
If all you care about is the racing, I'd stay right in Oldsmar...HI Express, Hilton Garden Inn, 1.5 miles from track. If you want the beach and don't mind the drive, I prefer Sand Key, just south of Clearwater Beach.

Add Marriott Courtyard and Residence Inn on Tampa Rd about a mile from track. Albertos just up the street from there on Tampa Rd for good Ital food.

I can tout you on a great high-rise condo in madeira beach on the gulf (about 25 miles from the track) that will cost you from $800 to $1200 week depending on time of year if you like the beach. PM me for that info.

BlueShoe
04-08-2009, 04:44 PM
"the gift shop was down to S & M"So---just what did they have?Whips,chains,stocks,cuffs,perhaps a few leather items?Tampa Bay Downs sounds like a rather unique place.Or has my naughty mind gone off in the wrong direction.

JWBurnie
04-08-2009, 05:18 PM
"the gift shop was down to S & M"So---just what did they have?Whips,chains,stocks,cuffs,perhaps a few leather items?Tampa Bay Downs sounds like a rather unique place.Or has my naughty mind gone off in the wrong direction.

Actually, now that you mention it...yes, they had whips, keychains, cuff-links & a leather-billed cap. Pretty swanky up in that place...they were swinging. Oh, and lastly...I didn't see any blueshoes, but I did see an awful lot of bluehair's. :lol:

barn11
04-09-2009, 12:02 PM
Actually, now that you mention it...yes, they had whips, keychains, cuff-links & a leather-billed cap. Pretty swanky up in that place...they were swinging. Oh, and lastly...I didn't see any blueshoes, but I did see an awful lot of bluehair's. :lol:

Hey-don't knock us bluehairs. Who do you think they stock that stuff for??? Even at my age-I look so hot in my Tampa Bay Downs shirt I have to beat the women off!!

BlueShoe
04-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Wow,Tampa Bay Downs sounds like my kind of place.Wild kinky things going on with women my age fighting for my old body.Plus,of course,some pretty good racing,with full competitive cards.Have never been to Florida,perhaps should go before I can no longer get the distance.

GaryG
04-10-2009, 04:36 PM
I like the white sands of Clearwater.....Stayed at a decent hotel right on the causeway on the Tampa side. Can't remember the name but may have been HI.

CryingForTheHorses
04-10-2009, 06:08 PM
Hey-don't knock us bluehairs. Who do you think they stock that stuff for??? Even at my age-I look so hot in my Tampa Bay Downs shirt I have to beat the women off!!

Thank goodness for the bluehairs..South Florida would be a ghost town in the winter without them :lol: