PDA

View Full Version : Oaklawn Visit

Tampa Russ
04-07-2009, 08:34 AM
Just made my first trip to Hot Springs. All I can say is that I loved it! Oaklawn was terrific. I real racetrack with a great atmosphere. Hot Springs was also a blast. The people were friendly, the downtown area with all of the history, just wonderful. It's a little big town with a certain edginess to it. Oh, and it's so affordable compared to many other places I've visited. I give the place two thumbs up!

Bruddah
04-07-2009, 09:23 AM
Thanks for your endorsement Russ. I have been going there since 1965 (unfortunately not this year) and can second everything you said plus more. To me, Oaklawn still has the ambiance of Horse Racing in its' heyday. If you want to feel the excitement of when Racing was the Sport of Kings, on a friendly beer budget, Oaklawn still has it. Just love the town, people and of course the Racing. :ThmbUp:

Bettowin
04-07-2009, 10:15 AM
The history of Hot Springs is very interesting. I didn't know that if it weren't for the Governor way back when (Rockefeller I think) Hot Springs might have been the first Las Vegas.

cj's dad
04-07-2009, 10:21 AM
Hot Springs is where all the mob from Chicago vacationed - you can look it up!!

Bettowin
04-07-2009, 10:31 AM
Hot Springs is where all the mob from Chicago vacationed - you can look it up!!

On my first visit there was a local cable station that had an hour long show on the history of Hot Springs. Very interesting. Yes there were many Chicago and East Coast mobsters who came to town. The Feds were there to arrest them but the local law would fine them a minimal amount and release them:)

strapper
04-07-2009, 11:30 AM
Glad you liked Oaklawn and Hot Springs. We made our first live racing visit there a little over a month ago and also had a blast going with another couple. There is ample lodging in the town and fine restaurants all around. The oldtimey feel of the racing was so neat, packed like sardines with people and most playing the same live track like the good ole days.

Bettowin
04-07-2009, 11:33 AM
We liked it so much I am looking for something to buy, a house that is:) Would love to spend January thru May in Hot Springs and maybe rent it out for the lake season. Heading back on Thursday and the weather for Friday and Saturday looks great!!

kroebuck67
04-07-2009, 12:15 PM
Here's an interesting story (http://www.historynet.com/lawmens-heated-gun-battle-in-hot-springs.htm) from Hot Springs history that I learned of just recently (and I've lived in Arkansas all my life). It's a little long (7 html pages, but a good read). It would make a great movie!

Tampa Russ
04-08-2009, 08:20 AM
We liked it so much I am looking for something to buy, a house that is:) Would love to spend January thru May in Hot Springs and maybe rent it out for the lake season. Heading back on Thursday and the weather for Friday and Saturday looks great!!

I stopped at an open house on Sunday just south of the track on Lake Hamilton. 2 Bedroom condo on the lake with covered boat slip and 2 jet ski pads. I'm thinking along the same lines. Even if I rent it out full-time for a few years, I think it's a good bet.

Enjoy your trip!!

jognlope
04-08-2009, 09:15 AM
I wanna go, thanks for that.

strapper
04-08-2009, 09:46 AM
I stopped at an open house on Sunday just south of the track on Lake Hamilton. 2 Bedroom condo on the lake with covered boat slip and 2 jet ski pads. I'm thinking along the same lines. Even if I rent it out full-time for a few years, I think it's a good bet.

Enjoy your trip!!

I noticed that Lake Hamilton was at extremely low levels when I was up there. Hope the water levels rose a little with the spring tendency toward flooding everywhere right now.

Bruddah
04-08-2009, 09:52 AM
Here's an interesting story (http://www.historynet.com/lawmens-heated-gun-battle-in-hot-springs.htm) from Hot Springs history that I learned of just recently (and I've lived in Arkansas all my life). It's a little long (7 html pages, but a good read). It would make a great movie!

An interesting read and Hot Springs History I didn't know. I have known about the the 1920-30's mob vacations all my life. Many of the stories were about the infamous Al Capone. Hot Springs was famous for wide open Gambling, booze and women and Gangsters. A famous night club "The Vapors" hosted top entertainment of the 40-50-60's. Names like Jimmy Durante, Ethel Merman, Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis and many others head lined the Marquee. In the mid 1960's one of the Rockefeller brothers became Governor and slammed the gambling doors (except for Horse Racing) in Hot Springs. As the late Paul Harvey would say, "and Now, you know the rest of the Story".

I was 18 and visiting Oaklawn and Hot Springs for the first time. A long story but, I ended up being a "Gopher" one weekend, at an illicit poker game. It was full of Millionaires and high profiled state politicians of the day. I worked Sat. nite and most of Sunday, fetching the needs of those gents. I was rewarded with $200 at the end of the game, plus several more $$$ slipped to me by the players. In that game in 1965, I made more money in one night than I had made in one month of being a laborer, on a construction project, the previous summer. Needless to say, I WAS RICH !! (Lol) :D