PDA

View Full Version : Seabiscut on (most) PBS stations tonight

karlskorner
04-21-2003, 09:28 AM
www.nytimes.com/2003/04/21/arts/television/21MILL.html

JustRalph
04-21-2003, 11:22 AM
I really don't want to become a member of the Nytimes web site just read the link...........................

BillW
04-21-2003, 12:03 PM
http://www.majcher.com/nytview.html

Apparently a lot of people don't :)

Bill

Lefty
04-21-2003, 12:37 PM
I think the PBS special is about the making of the new movie about this great horse. I encourage everyone to read the book by Laura Hillenbrand. This lady can write and she'll place you right at the scene and it's asif you're living the story with the participants. Best book i've read in years.

Lefty
04-21-2003, 12:40 PM
In Vegas it's on at 9PM. American Experience.

andicap
04-21-2003, 02:23 PM
The documentary is NOT about the making of the movie. It is about Seabiscuit; it is parallel with the book with Laura Hillenbrand being interviewed along with a lot of other people. Looks nifty.

gene
04-21-2003, 05:04 PM
thanks for the heads up on seabiscuit. I would have missed it.

I don't signup with NY times either

stgeorge
04-21-2003, 05:14 PM
If you go to www.equidaily.com and scroll down to the bottom of the middle column there are links to a bunch of reviews of the documentary at non-subscription sites. It sounds good -- seems to be getting a 'thumb's up' from reviewers across the board.

gene
04-21-2003, 06:41 PM
i should have mentioned, in Reno it's on at 9pm channel 5

gene

Kentucky Bred
04-21-2003, 10:02 PM
For some reason it is on tomorrow night (Tuesday) at 9pm EST for us. I went to PBS.org to get it.

Lefty, my sentiments exactly. What an unbelievable masterpiece this book is. At the end of the latest version is a Q and A with Hillenbrand about how she wrote the book---where she got the info from to give the book such amazing details. Then you find out that she was near death from a rare disease she got overseas. She would just lay in bed surrounded by all of her research books sick as a dog for two years, I believe. An incredible story of courage for the author writing about an incredible story of courage for a racehorse.

Kentucky Bred

JustRalph
04-21-2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Kentucky Bred
For some reason it is on tomorrow night (Tuesday) at 9pm EST for us. I went to PBS.org to get it.

I have Dishnetwork and have it listed tonight, Monday at 9p (pacific) on Kcet channel 8006.

Kentucky Bred
04-21-2003, 10:56 PM
Here is the link to tonights Dish/DirecTV programming.

http://www.pbs.org/whatson/dbs/daily.html?date=2003-04-21

Notice they have listed some Masterpiece theatre Cr*p. But click on the 22nd and Seabiscuit comes up at 9pm.

JustRalph...if you see it first, let me know if you liked it.

Kentucky Bred

rastajenk
04-21-2003, 11:43 PM
It was good. Old clips of horse racing can't be bad. One of the things I noticed is how much some things look the same now as they did then...a buglar's uniform, a big middle move that flattens out, a joyous winner's circle celebration.

One thing that has obviously changed the most is on-track attendance. Those grandstands were packed.

The PBS show was an hour well-spent, if you missed it and have a chance at a re-broadcast.

anotherdave
04-22-2003, 01:17 AM
I really enjoyed the program. I'm going to keep the tape I made of it and replay it anytime I'm having a losing streak - just to remember why I play this game.

AD

JustRalph
04-22-2003, 01:30 AM
The fictional movie about Seabiscuit from 1949 is on 3 times in the upcoming days. FYI

http://home.columbus.rr.com/justralph/seabiscuit_on_tcm.jpg

JustRalph
04-22-2003, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by anotherdave
I really enjoyed the program. I'm going to keep the tape I made of it and replay it anytime I'm having a losing streak - just to remember why I play this game.AD

Good idea Dave.

Good Show. Some great classic footage. Man, What a horse! I think if you look up "perseverance" you might find Red Pollard and Seabiscuit. I wasn't fully aware of this whole story. What an eye opener it was. The footage of the match race with War Admiral was great. If you haven't seen the way they started that race, you have missed a good one. I will be keeping this one on tape.

I really enjoyed watching the people in the stands. Dressed in Suits and Ties. Reminds me of the Baseball footage from that era. I couldn't help but wonder how many of those guys in the stands went off to fight in WWII. Not to mention the women who went to work in the factories making bombs etc. Some era for not only Horse Racing but for the country as a whole. :D

Lefty
04-22-2003, 12:39 PM
I taped it, haven't watched yet. Did they have the interview with Chris McCarron about how they had a lot of trble getting the match race between War Admiral and Seabiscuit to come out right? Seems the horse that played War Admiral kept beating the Seabiscuit horse and they had to do several "takes" to get it right. And people talk about jockeys fixing races... They had a hard time doing it for a movie!

anotherdave
04-22-2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Lefty
I taped it, haven't watched yet. Did they have the interview with Chris McCarron about how they had a lot of trble getting the match race between War Admiral and Seabiscuit to come out right? Seems the horse that played War Admiral kept beating the Seabiscuit horse and they had to do several "takes" to get it right. And people talk about jockeys fixing races... They had a hard time doing it for a movie!

The program wasn't about the movie. They did interview the author of the Seabiscuit book, but it was mostly archival footage of Seabiscuit and the people involved with him. So they showed the real match race and it came out just right.

AD

rastajenk
04-22-2003, 04:35 PM
I was a "background actor" in the filming of the match race scenes at Keeneland for the Seabiscuit movie, and yes, we had to do many takes, but mainly to get the margins accurate. I don't think the War Admiral horse ever actually beat the Seabiscuit horse in our re-creations.

But it was neat seeing the real thing in the PBS show. The people running around in the infield and spilling out on the track...that was me! :cool:

I was involved in shooting for five days out of the seven or eight they were at Keeneland. It was cold and much of the time was pretty boring as they re-set shot after shot, but as a race fan I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. I'm hoping for an Oscar for Costume Design (I was looking rather dapper), and I'd like to suggest a new category for Best Large Scale Crowd Scenes.

Being involved with the movie also makes me sort of pull for AtswhatImtalkinabout in the Derby, against any particular handicapping preferences. Having those Hollywood folks in the Churchill winner's circle would certainly help mainstream the sport and promote the movie.

Kentucky Bred
04-22-2003, 05:04 PM
I'm jealous. I had planned to do the extra actor thing for the Keeneland scenes. I am friends with a man who contracted the fedora hats for the men in the movie (made in China...believe it or not). But it was too damn cold during those days!! Now I wished I had braved the cold to be a part of it.

Kentucky Bred