PDA

View Full Version : Lawmakers seek legal means to keep Preakness here

takeout
04-06-2009, 02:36 PM
Maryland lawmakers decried a proposal that would strip Pimlico Race Course of the historic Preakness Stakes, a day after a Pikesville developer revealed plans to bid on the Baltimore racetrack and replace it with a shopping center.
[snip]
"We would go ahead and consider the Preakness if someone leased the facility. ...," he said Friday. "If no one comes forward, we would tear it down."
[snip]
"The place has to be modernized, and somebody has to pay for a land lease to keep it there," he said, adding it could cost $8 million to $10 million to refurbish and modernize it.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/bal-bz.magna04apr04,0,565696.story

cj's dad
04-06-2009, 03:00 PM
The area is a shooting gallery, both bullets and needles; it is only a matter of time. There are no shopping malls there (small wonder) and I can't imagine how one mall can support so many nail salons, fast food joints and bail bondsmen.

Relwob Owner
04-06-2009, 03:03 PM
The area is a shooting gallery, both bullets and needles; it is only a matter of time. There are no shopping malls there (small wonder) and I can't imagine how one mall can support so many nail salons, fast food joints and bail bondsmen.

Agree on all points....on several occasions, I have had tickets for the Preakness but have just chosen not to go because of some of the stuff I have seen go down on Preakness Day and other days as well.....move it to Laurel?

cj's dad
04-06-2009, 03:05 PM
It is very doable in my opinion - would take some creativity but it can be done-

Maybe a little bailout $$$ would help !

JWBurnie
04-06-2009, 04:37 PM

Don't forget your "dubs" dealers, palm readers & going out of business sales.

JWBurnie
04-06-2009, 04:46 PM
Agree on all points....on several occasions, I have had tickets for the Preakness but have just chosen not to go because of some of the stuff I have seen go down on Preakness Day and other days as well.....move it to Laurel?

Laurel could work...but would need a major face lift. I am still waiting on a track to take advantage of the club house turn; LRL would be perfect and has plenty of room to do so. Try this one on for size...can you imagine taking the train to the Preakness at LRL to avoid driving (on many levels). Ever since I was a kid when ever I attend LRL I always day dream a bit about what it would be like to ship a horse into LRL on the train, or take in a day of races coming by train...just like the old days. They could really make it something special.

Relwob Owner
04-06-2009, 04:49 PM
Laurel could work...but would need a major face lift. I am still waiting on a track to take advantage of the club house turn; LRL would be perfect and has plenty of room to do so. Try this one on for size...can you imagine taking the train to the Preakness at LRL to avoid driving (on many levels). Ever since I was a kid when ever I attend LRL I always day dream a bit about what it would be like to ship a horse into LRL on the train, or take in a day of races coming by train...just like the old days. They could really make it something special.

Well said....

Doc
04-06-2009, 05:14 PM
Don't forget your "dubs" dealers, palm readers & going out of business sales.

And don't forget a check-cashing service! :)

thespaah
04-06-2009, 08:53 PM
Maryland lawmakers decried a proposal that would strip Pimlico Race Course of the historic Preakness Stakes, a day after a Pikesville developer revealed plans to bid on the Baltimore racetrack and replace it with a shopping center.
[snip]
"We would go ahead and consider the Preakness if someone leased the facility. ...," he said Friday. "If no one comes forward, we would tear it down."
[snip]
"The place has to be modernized, and somebody has to pay for a land lease to keep it there," he said, adding it could cost $8 million to $10 million to refurbish and modernize it.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/bal-bz.magna04apr04,0,565696.storyLike any neighborhood in serious decline, the area around Pimlico will only recover if the right people come along with money and vision.
Unfortunately with the economy in the state it is in, revitalization dollars are in short supply.
Not a good time for distressed properties such as Pimlico.

comet52
04-09-2009, 12:37 PM
"Gun store, gun store, liquor store, gun store... where the hell are you takin' me!!?"
-Dave Chapelle, "The Ghetto"