PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a Google account?

RobinFromIreland
04-06-2009, 12:51 PM
With recent rumors of Google perhaps acquiring Twitter for $250M - $1Bn, and the associated "Google is taking over the world" drama, a simple question:

Do you have a Google account?

JustRalph
04-06-2009, 02:39 PM
not for email

but for the Google Calendar

Which works great.............and reminds me to do things via email

chickenhead
04-06-2009, 03:47 PM
I have 3 of them :)

cmoore
04-06-2009, 05:02 PM
I use Yahoo..Have for decade now...

Dave Schwartz
04-06-2009, 08:35 PM
I have 3 of them

Chicken,

Should you have one removed? (I think they can do that with surgery.)
:lol:

Dave

raybo
04-07-2009, 05:44 PM
MSN, Yahoo, and Google

HUSKER55
04-08-2009, 12:19 AM
I don't but my neighbors and several of my friends do. They sell stuff and talk all day long. Which is a good thing as I hate to be bothered when I am loosing my ass at the races. That way I can brag about the ones I do get right. :D

raybo
04-08-2009, 08:36 AM
I don't but my neighbors and several of my friends do. They sell stuff and talk all day long. Which is a good thing as I hate to be bothered when I am loosing my ass at the races. That way I can brag about the ones I do get right. :D

:ThmbUp:

Tom
04-08-2009, 07:07 PM
Why would I want a Google account and how would I get one?:confused:

dutchboy
04-08-2009, 07:35 PM
I chose it because of the email and calendar. It is free and is not connected to an internet provider. Theory is you can go anyplace on earth that has the internet and you can login to google and retrieve your email and look at your calendar.

For anyone reading this that uses "google earth" did you know there is an aircraft simulator hidden in the program. Believe there are two planes you can fly. I tried it once but did not want to spend the time learning all of the controls.
Neat program.

RobinFromIreland
04-09-2009, 11:49 AM

Google provides many, many hosted services with email (GMail) and calendar (Google Calendar) the most popular being among the very best of their kind. However they also provide excellent services such as Google Docs (online MS Office-like except you can share spreadsheets/files/docs and have many people edit them simultaneously). You have have your own free website (Sites) or Blog. Google Maps is also excellent. Google Earth is amazing, Picasa is a very intuitive photo editing application, and Google Talk in a high quality instant messaging client incl being able to make free video and voice calls. Google Reader (my favorite) is a terrific feed reader.

They provide many services that can be utilised through code, and therefore provide bespoke applications, like charting software based your supplied data.

The real treat though is that most of their services interact with each other, so when you get an email that contains a date, it recognizes that and gives you a link that with one click will create a reminder in your calendar.

Pretty soon I'm going to be building a social networking website for handicappers and it will be based around using Google services (among others). The benefit of having a Google account means instant access plus I don't have to worry about managing your sensitive user account details and forcing yet another sign-up procedure.

Imagine the ability for your website to download tomorrow's race cards, put them into a spreadsheet, auto-analyse the card using your chosen strategy, process and track your bets, chart the analysis and be able to share and discuss any aspect of that data with fellow handicappers.

All for free and available from anywhere.

LottaKash
04-09-2009, 03:25 PM
Perhaps it is a highly viable "Big Brother Machine".....??...Too much personal info could be made maifest and exposed to any devious or clandestine arrangement that could be made, especially in light of the "Patriot Act"..imo.......

best,

CBedo
04-10-2009, 05:17 PM
I think I am up to about 20ish Google accounts. Different accounts for different projects.

The email provides me way more storage (for free) than most other email providers. Also, if you are sending from one gmail account to another, it's instantaneously sent/received. This is big if you are sending large files over the net.

chickenhead
04-10-2009, 09:03 PM
I am really becoming a fan of google apps. Once you start to get used to being able to access spreadsheets, docs etc from any computer anywhere (just like email) it is hard to go back. I used to have to email docs to myself all the time....then the little thumb drives...having it just always be available is tough to beat. Google Accounts are nice mainly because you can tie so many of these services together under a single login, you don't need accounts spread out all over the place. Email, Apps, Blogger, Portfolio Tracking, RSS Feeds, Web Picture storage...one login, one page to get to them all.