PDA

View Full Version : Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

dav4463
04-05-2009, 01:55 AM
Run DMC? --they were inducted----it's not rock and roll!

Madonna and Michael Jackson are already in---that's NOT rock and roll !

Why don't they just make it a music hall of fame?

For example: Leonard Cohen

First, I will say I really, really like Leonard Cohen. He has incredible lyrics, a haunting voice, and he is the coolest cat around! I mean, the guy is 75 years old and could walk into any party and leave with the woman or women of his choice! That's how cool he is!.......but is he Rock and Roll ? not really!

eastie
04-05-2009, 02:12 AM
War and Chic were nominated, but didn't make it...what a gyp. I know Chic wasn't rock and roll, but Bernard Edwards is the 2nd best bassist this country has ever produced.

Burls
04-05-2009, 02:31 AM
War and Chic were nominated, but didn't make it...what a gyp. I know Chic wasn't rock and roll, but Bernard Edwards is the 2nd best bassist this country has ever produced.Madonna is in the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame; Johnny Winter isn't.
Nuff said there.

kenwoodallpromos
04-05-2009, 03:54 AM
2 who IMO should be in:
3 Dog Night
Chicago.
IMO both blow away some 1 hit wonders who are in, like Isaac Hayes and Dion. Others in are jazz, and some influences have little to do with rock, like Bill Monroe. Is Neil Diamond in? No.

dav4463
04-05-2009, 04:48 AM
2 who IMO should be in:
3 Dog Night
Chicago.
IMO both blow away some 1 hit wonders who are in, like Isaac Hayes and Dion. Others in are jazz, and some influences have little to do with rock, like Bill Monroe. Is Neil Diamond in? No.

Seriously, Chicago is not in? I'm not a huge fan of them, but there is no denying their greatness.

Neil Diamond....is he rock and roll? If he gets in; then I think Leonard Cohen belongs too, but I don't think either one of them are rock and roll.

DanG
04-05-2009, 08:23 AM
War and Chic were nominated, but didn't make it...what a gyp. I know Chic wasn't rock and roll, but Bernard Edwards is the 2nd best bassist this country has ever produced.
Few things more subjective then music, but bass is very close to my heart. With all due respect I could name 100 top American bassist’s off the top of my head and Edwards would not be on the list.

This is a nation that has produced Stanley Clarke, Jaco Pastorius, Victor Wooten, Jeff Berlin, Charles Mingus, Andy West, Ron Carter etc…

The RR Hall of Fame has turned into little more then a producers marketing tool. It’s amazing how many “nominations” occur simultaneously with the release of a greatest hits box set.

As Burl said; Madonna YES / Johnny Winter NO? Shut the place down. :ThmbDown:

JustRalph
04-05-2009, 09:50 AM
Jann Wenner publisher of Rolling Stone is in control of who gets in and who doesn't.

lots of people call it "Jan's Baby" it has no real requirements and Wenner can push anybody he wants in........

ArlJim78
04-05-2009, 11:29 AM
the Rock and Roll Hall of fame is a sham.

i agree about the coolness of Leonard Cohen and the importance of groups like War and Chicago.

toetoe
04-05-2009, 11:38 AM
... neither a rocker nor a one-hit pony. :confused: .

jballscalls
04-05-2009, 11:41 AM
the rock and roll hall of fame is kind of a sham. I mean its so subjective. I think bands like Chicago and Rush are horrible, but some people think they are great. Likewise their are bands i think should be in the hall of fame and never will be.

i guess its just something to argue about

Dave Schwartz
04-05-2009, 11:59 AM
Jann Wenner publisher of Rolling Stone is in control of who gets in and who doesn't.

So, Dr. Hook has no chance, right?
:lol:

Seriously, what we (the kids of yesterday) think of as R&R is probabl not what the kids of today do.

I like ours better. :jump:

Dave

Tom
04-05-2009, 12:56 PM
RRHF is in Cleveland.....maybe they didn't WANT to be in it! :D

banacek
04-05-2009, 01:32 PM
IMO both blow away some 1 hit wonders who are in, like Isaac Hayes .

AH, but just this version of Shaft makes Isaac more than worthy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfK-UzQ48JE

Rookies
04-05-2009, 01:46 PM
the Rock and Roll Hall of fame is a sham.

i agree about the coolness of Leonard Cohen and the importance of groups like War and Chicago.

Broke my maiden at 17 while hitchiking across Michigan to the Left Coast in 1969. Picked up by a girl in a VW bug ('natch) who got cold feet at the altar the weekend before. She paid for the room and drove me the next day to Minnesota, all the while listening to Ballad of a girl from Buchanan, Beginnings and 25 or 6 to 4 on eight track !

One of my fondest memories in life, needless top say ! :ThmbUp:

Immediate appreciation for American women...;) so the NEXT year I picked one up hitchiking again in Vancouver- I MARRRIED her !

... end of hitchiking career... :D

JustRalph
04-05-2009, 05:24 PM
Broke my maiden at 17 while hitchiking across Michigan to the Left Coast in 1969. Picked up by a girl in a VW bug ('natch) who got cold feet at the altar the weekend before. She paid for the room and drove me the next day to Minnesota, all the while listening to Ballad of a girl from Buchanan, Beginnings and 25 or 6 to 4 on eight track !

I have seen smokey and the bandit too.............

kenwoodallpromos
04-05-2009, 06:08 PM
... neither a rocker nor a one-hit pony. :confused: .
My bad- Hayes was the chef on "South Park!"

Rookies
04-05-2009, 06:26 PM
I have seen smokey and the bandit too.............

Ralph... it's the I-Net. No reason to fabricate ANYTHING about yourself, as nobody knows who you are. The other half, about 10 feet away, could verify the SECOND half of that story. :D Among other things, when I was a little kid, I saw JFK & Jacki ride by me from about 5 feet away. I've seen the Beatles ('64), Jimi ('67) & Grace Slick ('69) live !

Never had any $$$ or power, but had a very decent life. Said it many times. If I've had any wish to go back in time, I'd just like to do more of the same... much, much more ! ;)

Dave Schwartz
04-05-2009, 09:14 PM

One of my fondest memories in life, needless top say !

Immediate appreciation for American women... so the NEXT year I picked one up hitchiking again in Vancouver- I MARRRIED her !

Rookie,

Unfortunately, I married the one you met first.

After 15 years, I had to let her go.

Dave

dav4463
04-06-2009, 12:28 AM
The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame should have a main wing with Little Richard, Elvis, Beatles, Who, Stones, Kinks, Doors, and the Ramones. Then shut the door and let nobody else in!

NJ Stinks
04-06-2009, 12:38 AM
Rookie,

Unfortunately, I married the one you met first.

After 15 years, I had to let her go.

Dave

Hilarious!! :lol:

highnote
04-06-2009, 12:43 AM

The Rock Music Hall of Fame might be a better name than Rock and Roll HOF.

If Madonna and MJ are not rock and roll then neither are the Beatles and Who, in my opinion.

MJ's soul, funk and R&B may be closer to R&R than the British Invasion bands.

In my opinion, music after 1959 only has to have one thing to be considered Rock music -- a Rock beat -- 4/4 time, 120 beats per minute, etc. and then some variations on those themes. Rock, Rap, Metal, Punk, Funk, Disco, etc. all have a Rock beat.

Jimmi Hendrix's "Manic Depression" is in 3/4 time -- which is a waltz. Should that song be considered Rock?

What the hell... it's only rock and roll -- but I like it. Long Live Rock!

eastie
04-06-2009, 09:37 AM
2 who IMO should be in:
3 Dog Night
Chicago.

how dare you call Isaac Hayes a one hit pony...are you serious ? Don't Let Go is a masterpiece. Hayes in an Oscar winning composer and performer a well as producer, who never lost a step. Can you dig it ?

eastie
04-06-2009, 09:50 AM
AH, but just this version of Shaft makes Isaac more than worthy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfK-UzQ48JE

that was awesome ! another great one is Hayes on Conan. I don't know how to do that linky thing, but if you look at Weinberg and his band after they finish the song, they are giddy. Big honor having Hayes as the conductor, and playing it as well as they could with everyone on the same page. A real treat.

JustRalph
04-06-2009, 02:48 PM
Ralph... it's the I-Net. No reason to fabricate ANYTHING about yourself, as nobody knows who you are. The other half, about 10 feet away, could verify the SECOND half of that story. :D Among other things, when I was a little kid, I saw JFK & Jacki ride by me from about 5 feet away. I've seen the Beatles ('64), Jimi ('67) & Grace Slick ('69) live !

Never had any $$$ or power, but had a very decent life. Said it many times. If I've had any wish to go back in time, I'd just like to do more of the same... much, much more ! ;)

i was just bustin your chops............. no malice intended :ThmbUp:

Valuist
12-12-2012, 11:35 PM
For 2013, those now in include Heart, Rush, Albert King, Randy Newman, Donna Summer and Public Enemy. Once again, I didn't realize it was also a disco hall of fame or a hip-hop HoF. No arguments on the first few. Randy Newman....really? I wouldn't have bet on that.

JustRalph
12-13-2012, 05:32 AM
For 2013, those now in include Heart, Rush, Albert King, Randy Newman, Donna Summer and Public Enemy. Once again, I didn't realize it was also a disco hall of fame or a hip-hop HoF. No arguments on the first few. Randy Newman....really? I wouldn't have bet on that.

It's a damn joke. Been one. Do a little research on Jann Wenner and what a morally repugnant piece of trash he is and you can see why "his" RRHF is such a joke. It fulfills the narrative

RunForTheRoses
12-13-2012, 09:01 AM
Madonna is in the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame; Johnny Winter isn't.
Nuff said there.

Nor is Stevie Ray Vaughan and quite a few others. Really it is kind of a silly institution.

Robert Goren
12-13-2012, 09:18 AM
There are a bunch of rock musicians who are in there that are not strickly speaking rock and roll. If you don't what roll and roll is, go to youtube and listen to to a Jerry Lee Lewis or a Carl Perkins video. There are still musicians out there producing rock and roll music, but it is unlikely any of them will get in.

Uncle Salty
12-13-2012, 03:25 PM
It's called the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but in actuality, it's the Popular Music Hall of Fame.

Maybe they should change the name but if you look at it this way, inductees will make more sense.

wisconsin
12-13-2012, 04:07 PM
It's called the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but in actuality, it's the Popular Music Hall of Fame.

And that is the reson I will never visit.

Dave Schwartz
12-13-2012, 04:24 PM
But we've got Randy Newman now so everything should be just fine. :lol:

HoofedInTheChest
12-13-2012, 05:37 PM
Anyone who has ever picked up a guitar usually starts by learning "Smoke on the Water", one of the signature licks of all time, by one of the greatest Rock bands of all time. How Deep Purple gets passed by every year is a mystery to me, the boys should have been inducted from day one.

It was long overdue for Rush to get inducted, and i am glad to see them finally get some recognition after 40 years of sluggin it out.

I visited the Hall in 02, and when i walked in i was asked if i wanted to apply for a Visa, and if i applied i would get a Rock n Roll Hall of Fame baseball cap, so i thought why not? The girl asked for my name and i told her "i'm Edward Van Halen!", and she replied "ok Mr. Van Halen, what is your address?" my buddy and i just about pissed ourselves. So i got the cap and it looks like Ed got himself a new Visa card, nice to see the staff there so well versed in rock history.

Valuist
12-13-2012, 06:16 PM
Anyone who has ever picked up a guitar usually starts by learning "Smoke on the Water", one of the signature licks of all time, by one of the greatest Rock bands of all time. How Deep Purple gets passed by every year is a mystery to me, the boys should have been inducted from day one.

It was long overdue for Rush to get inducted, and i am glad to see them finally get some recognition after 40 years of sluggin it out.

I visited the Hall in 02, and when i walked in i was asked if i wanted to apply for a Visa, and if i applied i would get a Rock n Roll Hall of Fame baseball cap, so i thought why not? The girl asked for my name and i told her "i'm Edward Van Halen!", and she replied "ok Mr. Van Halen, what is your address?" my buddy and i just about pissed ourselves. So i got the cap and it looks like Ed got himself a new Visa card, nice to see the staff there so well versed in rock history.

Amen on Deep Purple.

Valuist
08-26-2013, 11:39 AM
Saw Chicago in concert the other night and they still sound great. Its a shock to me they are not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

They do get plenty of publicity in the new Larry David film "Clear History". If you a Seinfeld or Curb fan, check it out. In the first 20 minutes you might be thinking you are watching The Big Lebowski.

Marshall Bennett
08-26-2013, 12:09 PM
I'm surprised they aren't in the hall either. They've been around forever and their music is some of the best around. 25 or 6 to 4 and Make me Smile just to name a couple.

Valuist
08-26-2013, 12:40 PM
I'm surprised they aren't in the hall either. They've been around forever and their music is some of the best around. 25 or 6 to 4 and Make me Smile just to name a couple.

Two of their best songs. Terry Kath was a great guitarist and vocalist. Died way too young.

TJDave
08-26-2013, 03:36 PM
And that is the reson I will never visit.

Who would?

It's in Cleveland, ferchrisake.

Tom
08-26-2013, 03:39 PM
I heard on the radio that Miley Cyrus was just inducted into the HOF.
Oh, wait a minute, that was Porky's.
Never mind.

Robert Goren
08-26-2013, 06:38 PM
The sad thing is that most of the people in the "rock and roll" hall of fame don't even know what "rock and roll" is/was. I am old enough to know what was and "Rush " did play "rock and roll" . I know it is a small think , but it drives me nuts when people mix up "rock" with "rock and roll".

Marshall Bennett
08-26-2013, 07:39 PM
I heard on the radio that Miley Cyrus was just inducted into the HOF.
Oh, wait a minute, that was Porky's.
Never mind.
I watched enough of the video on youtube of her performance last night to know she's a former child star going nowhere. She's a disgrace to the entertainment industry.

Maximillion
08-26-2013, 07:47 PM
The sad thing is that most of the people in the "rock and roll" hall of fame don't even know what "rock and roll" is/was. I am old enough to know what was and "Rush " did play "rock and roll" . I know it is a small think , but it drives me nuts when people mix up "rock" with "rock and roll".

Whats the difference between "rock" and "rock and roll"?

TJDave
08-26-2013, 11:40 PM
I watched enough of the video on youtube of her performance last night to know she's a former child star going nowhere. She's a disgrace to the entertainment industry.

I would bet that you are wrong.

In today's industry talent has little to do with success.

Robert Goren
08-26-2013, 11:52 PM
Whats the difference between "rock" and "rock and roll"? Listen to Buddy Holly on youtube and then listen to Rush. You should be able to tell difference.

RunForTheRoses
10-16-2013, 03:36 PM
Here are the nominations for this year, I think 5 get in.

Deep Purple
Nirvana
The Meters
Paul Butterfield Blues Band
The Replacements
The Zombies
Kiss
Yes
N.W.A.
Hall & Oates
Linda Ronstadt
Peter Gabriel
Cat Stevens
LL Cool J
Chic
Link Wray

Its all BS but I'd vote for
Gabriel, Cat Stevens, Yes, Paul Butterfield, Replacements, Nirvana, and probably Link Wray, I don't know too much of his music but I know Neil Young and John Cippolina are/were big fans. Meters, Deep Purple, Ronstandt, Hall and Oates, sort of in descending order.

RunForTheRoses
10-16-2013, 03:38 PM
Link Wray

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucTg6rZJCu4
ucTg6rZJCu4

RunForTheRoses
10-16-2013, 03:41 PM
Here are the nominations for this year, I think 5 get in.

Deep Purple
Nirvana
The Meters
The Replacements
The Zombies
Kiss
Yes
N.W.A.
Hall & Oates
Linda Ronstadt
Peter Gabriel
Cat Stevens
LL Cool J
Chic
Link Wray

Its all BS but I'd vote for
Gabriel, Cat Stevens, Yes, Paul Butterfield, Replacements, Nirvana, and probably Link Wray, I don't know too much of his music but I know Neil Young and John Cippolina are/were big fans. Meters, Deep Purple, Ronstandt, Hall and Oates, sort of in descending order.

No Rap for me.

badcompany
10-16-2013, 05:48 PM
Meanwhile, the greatest singer of all time isn't even nominated.

What a joke.

q5hAKF0iU78

highnote
10-16-2013, 06:50 PM

In general, but not precisely, Rock and Roll died when Buddy Holly died and Elvis got back from the Army. After that, Rock and Roll was something else.

And the nail in the coffin was when the members of the Beatles became household names. Rock and Roll was never the same.

There was some great music produced from the mid 60s onward, but it wasn't Rock and Roll.

Marshall Bennett
10-16-2013, 07:40 PM
Deep purple, Kiss, and Linda Ronstadt. Imo, none of the others belong from that list.

Robert Goren
10-16-2013, 07:48 PM
Nirvana, Linda Ronstadt And Kiss. The rest either were big enough names or weren't good enough or both. For the record, I loved Ronstadt, tolerated Kiss and hated the whiny Nirvana.

livingthedream2
10-16-2013, 08:07 PM
Hall & Oates :1:

btw if you haven't seen http://www.livefromdarylshouse.com/ check it out.

TJDave
10-16-2013, 08:50 PM
The true talent on the list are:

The Meters and Peter Gabriel.

But talent never accounted for much at this venue so... why start now?

Tom
10-16-2013, 08:54 PM
Deep Purple
The Zombies

Kn90uvj9Pgw

Robert Goren
10-16-2013, 08:59 PM
I am a big fan of Paul Butterfield, but he just not popular enough to be in the HOF. Plus he is not either rock and roll or rock. JMO

badcompany
10-16-2013, 09:11 PM
The true talent on the list are:

The Meters and Peter Gabriel.

But talent never accounted for much at this venue so... why start now?

Did you not see this band on the list? It's absurd they're not in.

y3AQXtqY0Es

Mike at A+
10-16-2013, 09:23 PM
Yes was always on another plane in the rock world. As a guitarist I was frustrated trying to play anything other than their basic stuff.

As for Paul Rogers, I liked him much better in Free, especially on the self titled album with the cuts "I'll Be Creepin'" and "Trouble on Double Time".

RaceBookJoe
10-16-2013, 09:33 PM
Some of the inductees leave me saying " huh?? " just like when Jethro Tull won the 1st Heavy Metal award at some awards shows a few years back. :bang:

Mike at A+
10-16-2013, 09:41 PM
Some of the inductees leave me saying " huh?? " just like when Jethro Tull won the 1st Heavy Metal award at some awards shows a few years back. :bang:
With the exception of the Aqualung album, I would consider Tull "folk rock".

RaceBookJoe
10-16-2013, 09:57 PM
With the exception of the Aqualung album, I would consider Tull "folk rock".

I can handle Tull, just would never put them in the Heavy Metal category. Always liked Tull's "Cross Eyed Mary" , even the Iron Maiden cover of it was decent.

reckless
10-16-2013, 10:11 PM
Could board members please post their definition of rock 'n roll?

I have my definition, the correct one :) and I will eventually post it too.

Thanks.

Robert Goren
10-16-2013, 10:21 PM

Thanks. Go on youtube and search for Buddy Holly and you have it. They long ago decided to include Rock, which opened up a whole new area. But some of the acts in are stretching even that wide open category.

Tom
10-16-2013, 10:31 PM
BB King, Muddy Waters, Hank Williams, Bo Diddly,The Ink Spots, The Temptations, The Platters, The Four Tops, Louis Armstrong, Howlin' Wolf, John Lee Hooker......not your Hollies Cover bands.

dav4463
10-17-2013, 12:43 AM
The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame should have a main wing with Little Richard, Elvis, Beatles, Who, Stones, Kinks, Doors, and the Ramones. Then shut the door and let nobody else in!

To update my own post.......I would add ABBA, Zeppelin and Buddy Holly.

thaskalos
10-17-2013, 03:19 AM
To update my own post.......I would add ABBA, Zeppelin and Buddy Holly.
What's a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame without Bob Dylan?

Robert Goren
10-17-2013, 06:38 AM
BB King, Muddy Waters, Hank Williams, Bo Diddly,The Ink Spots, The Temptations, The Platters, The Four Tops, Louis Armstrong, Howlin' Wolf, John Lee Hooker......not your Hollies Cover bands.I never thought of Louie Armstrong as Rock and Roll. Several of these guys belong in the Blues or Jazz HOF, but probably not in rock and roll HOF because they didn't play rock and roll. Bo Diddly, the Ink Spots, the Platters, the Temptations and the Four Tops are definitely "rock and roll". Hank Williams was as "country" as you can get and died(1/1/1952) before rock and roll got off the ground. Howlin' Wolf is a close call. Some of his stuff was Rock and Roll, but most is pure Blues. Armstrong was "big band". BB King, Muddy Waters and John Lee Hooker are blues. All three are really good at what they do, but what they do is not "rock and roll".

RunForTheRoses
10-17-2013, 09:12 AM

Thanks.

I will paraphrase from a Little Feat song Rock and roll Doctor, RxR is Country with a Boogie Beat.

RunForTheRoses
10-17-2013, 09:15 AM
Deep Purple
The Zombies

Kn90uvj9Pgw

PB was a huge talent representing the blues based RxR. Not sure if he's widely known enough to get in though (and quite frankly who cares, if ya like it ya like it).

RunForTheRoses
10-17-2013, 09:20 AM
Did you not see this band on the list? It's absurd they're not in.

y3AQXtqY0Es

Love Yes, Fragile, Yes Album, quite a few others. They represented the best of bombastic (not that there's anything wrong with that), Prog Rock along with ELP and King Crimson.

Seriously, it is hard to compare the various bands, different styles. Replacements were real good, and probably closest to straight ahead Rock and Roll but are they HOF worthy? Cat Stevens, was an immense talent but is he RxR?

jballscalls
10-17-2013, 10:25 AM
Nirvana, NWA, Deep Purple and maybe Peter Gabriel are the only ones I can think of that would go in. IMO NWA is about as "Rock N Roll" as rap ever got.

It cracks me up when people get all upset when it's not "Rock N Roll" by definition that gets in. Who really gives a shit. They've always inducted non Rock N Roll people, Hank Williams was in the 2nd or 3rd class, the Supremes were early on. Neither of those is "rock n roll".

I do think one of the reasons they've expanded beyond the traditional "rock n roll/blues" categories is simply because Rock N Roll had a shelf life and in a few years, there isn't going to be much Rock N Roll left to induct. I mean it's kind of dead now. Once Tool and Alice in Chains and some of those who started in the early 90's are in, there won't be many worthwhile bands that are "rock n roll" to induct.

kingfin66
10-17-2013, 10:51 AM

Dylan was one of the early inductees to the HOF. Late 80s.

BlueShoe
10-17-2013, 11:39 AM
Wow, am I old and out of date. :D Just went back and read the entire thread again, and it seemed as if I had stumbled onto one written in foreign languages. Of all the artists mentioned, have never heard of perhaps 80% of them, and have no idea of who they are or what they did. In my viewpoint, popular music died with the arrival of the Beatles and hard rock in the 60's.

A person's musical tastes are almost always formed in childhood and the teen years, therefore we "Old folks" :) preferences are usually quite different from that of the Boomers and later generations. We grew up with songs by performers with names like Bing, Frank, Dean, Nat, Ella, Patti, and groups like the Mills Brothers and Four Freshmen.

Then in the early and mid 50's a new sound hit that we grabbed onto. It was called Rock & Roll, Rhythm & Blues, or as it was later called, Doo Wop. It had a beat, but still was smooth, not harsh like later hard rock music. Perhaps the poster child for this music might be the Platters, although we did have Little Richard, Chuck Berry, and of course, Elvis, for more of a beat. This Doo Wop music era ended when the Beatles and Stones showed up, and hard rock came into being, and many of us stopped listening.

Even music historians often do not agree as to just what is R & B, what is Rock & Roll, what is Rock, what is the difference, when did R & B end, and other such things. Should artists such as Chuck Berry be viewed as rock stars or as R & B stars, or is the difference too small to bother with?

Tom
10-17-2013, 11:42 AM

He should be inducted twice - once for each voice.

thaskalos
10-17-2013, 01:08 PM
I know. I was just reminding dave4463 that he neglected to include Dylan in Rock and Roll HOF's "main wing".

Valuist
10-17-2013, 01:17 PM
I'd like to see Deep Purple get in. The SotW riff is still one of the most famous riffs ever.

Marshall Bennett
10-17-2013, 03:11 PM
I'd like to see Deep Purple get in. The SotW riff is still one of the most famous riffs ever.
I always thought of Deep Purple in the same manner as Black Sabbath in that their music, though relatively simple in composition, set the standard for hard rock bands that followed. The same might be said for Led Zeppelin though the music they wrote was in a far better league.
Purple and Sabbath, even as loud as they seemed at times, was wonderful music to go to sleep with.

barn32
10-17-2013, 05:25 PM
...but Bernard Edwards is the 2nd best bassist this country has ever produced.Who is number 1?

Mike at A+
10-17-2013, 10:23 PM
Who is number 1?
Jack Bruce

reckless
10-18-2013, 05:43 PM

Thanks.

Rock 'n Roll, as defined by greater minds than I, is the sum of three elements. Any type of music not within this specific musical subtext is, in theory anyway, not Rock 'n Roll.

In no particular order, the type of music that is Rock 'n Roll:

1-Black rhythm and blues;

2-Southern rockabilly;

3-Vocal group or street corner harmony.

The Ravens, The Orioles and The Wrens were early R & B artists that today are considered rock 'n roll pioneers;

Buddy Holly, Elvis, Carl Perkins, Eddie Cochran, Bill Haley make up a similar and familiar southern rockabilly roster; and,

Dion and the Belmonts, The Mystics, The Nutmegs, Earl Lewis and the Channels, The Five Keys, and Danny and the Juniors are just a few of the well-known names that fit the vocal group harmony genre category.

Speaking of which, the term 'Doo Wop' is another misnomer solely because many people today believe the genre was called Doo Wop in the 1950s-early 60s. Not true.

The term, doo wop, did not even exist during that time frame when Vocal Group or Street Corner harmony were at its height.

'Doo Wop' actually evolved into the lexicon in the 1970s mostly by a New York City-based disc jockey, the late great Gus Gossert, who for years hosted a terrific 'Oldies' radio show on WCBS-FM and later WPIX.

When people say that the Beatles (and by extension the British invasion) changed rock 'n roll, very few realize how accurate and true that statement really is.

Thanks everyone for a great thread and posts.

barn32
10-18-2013, 09:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by barn32
Who is number 1?
Jack BruceMy vote would be Paul McCartney.

Robert Goren
10-19-2013, 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by barn32
Who is number 1?
My vote would be Paul McCartney.I thought he was English.

dav4463
10-19-2013, 12:26 AM

Yeah, you are right. I'll make it an even 12 !

This is my "A" wing of the hall of fame.....everybody else is honorable mention!

dav4463
10-19-2013, 12:28 AM
I thought he was English.

Yeah, and John Entwistle is the greatest English bassist!

barn32
10-19-2013, 09:00 PM
The 60 greatest bassists of all time (http://www.musicradar.com/us/news/guitars/the-60-greatest-bassists-of-all-time-279007/60)

sandpit
10-20-2013, 11:38 AM
The 60 greatest bassists of all time (http://www.musicradar.com/us/news/guitars/the-60-greatest-bassists-of-all-time-279007/60)

Any list of 60 bassists that doesn't include Tal Wilkenfeld is ridiculous. The youung woman is remarkable, only 26 and has toured or been asked to play with a list of musicians that are unsurpassed. She is a genius.

Marshall Bennett
10-20-2013, 12:19 PM
Any list of 60 bassists that doesn't include Tal Wilkenfeld is ridiculous. The youung woman is remarkable, only 26 and has toured or been asked to play with a list of musicians that are unsurpassed. She is a genius.
Agreed, she's fabulous. :ThmbUp:

TJDave
10-20-2013, 12:54 PM
Any list of 60 bassists that doesn't include Tal Wilkenfeld is ridiculous.

Or Espranza Spalding...

Or...

Ron Carter, Marcus Miller, Charlie Haden, Jimmy Haslip, Marc Johnson, Abraham Laboriel and dozens more who can play circles around most on that list.

Marshall Bennett
10-20-2013, 03:35 PM
Billy Talbot's nowhere on there either. :confused:

RunForTheRoses
12-17-2013, 02:32 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/17/showbiz/rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-2014/