PDA

View Full Version : 100-1 nine year old wins the Grand National1

WinterTriangle
04-04-2009, 11:09 PM
Sorry this isn't about thoroughbreds, didn't know where else to post it. Amazing though!

"LIVERPOOL, England (AP) - Liam Treadwell rode 100-1 shot Mon Mome to a 12-length victory in the Grand National on Saturday.

The 9-year-old horse, which finished 10th last year, equaled Foinavon in 1967 as the biggest-priced winner in the 4 1/2-mile, 30-fence slog around Aintree.

In a race delayed by two false starts, the outsider stretched away from his rivals after jumping the last of the fences.

"How can you ever expect that in a race like this?" trainer Venetia Williams said amid the celebrations.

Comply or Die, last year's winner, was second in the 162nd running of the world's most famous steeplechase. My Will finished third, ahead of State of Play."
http://msn.foxsports.com/horseracing/story/9412458

BUD
04-04-2009, 11:49 PM
I was listening via the At The Races Race Radio Network---Something like that---I listen every morning-----good show----proves you dont always need to see horse racing to enjoy it---
http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news/

Oh its not from At The Races---Great anyway--

cj
04-05-2009, 11:00 AM
Sorry this isn't about thoroughbreds, didn't know where else to post it. Amazing though!

Last I checked, chasers were thoroughbreds.

Hajck Hillstrom
04-05-2009, 01:25 PM
Last I checked, chasers were thoroughbreds.Took the words off my page.

Market Mover
04-05-2009, 06:55 PM
Mon Mome wins the Grand National as the longest shot of the 20 available parimutuel wagering options (at least through Youbet international wagering).

My question is: was there any angle to employ that would have led to this one being a contender? Miss Venetia Williams was the trainer of this French bred, and I guess if you're a fan of firsts (or seconds) and female trainers, you could have used that angle.

Or a fan of French breds...

How this one won by 12 lengths plus is a mystery. Perhaps the "horse did complete the course last year" was another angle.

robert99
04-05-2009, 07:49 PM
Mon Mome wins the Grand National as the longest shot of the 20 available parimutuel wagering options (at least through Youbet international wagering).

My question is: was there any angle to employ that would have led to this one being a contender? Miss Venetia Williams was the trainer of this French bred, and I guess if you're a fan of firsts (or seconds) and female trainers, you could have used that angle.

Or a fan of French breds...

How this one won by 12 lengths plus is a mystery. Perhaps the "horse did complete the course last year" was another angle.

I don't bet in national hunt racing but looking at its past form in hindsight MM has key top winning recent form over 3 miles Class 1 at Cheltenham (last 10 GN winners have won over 3m). MM has finished in the GN and the Midlands National and won at Aintree so has that experience and toughness in large fields, and when 23 of the 40 competitors drop out chances are increasing the longer the race goes on. Carrying 11 stone is the top winning weight limit for most (1 winner in last 10 carried more) and 9-10 year olds have won 7 of last 10. A horse carrying 7 pounds more than last year, with an erratic trainer, that was overlooked by all the pundits so 100/1 seems a very generous price to me. The jockey also did the "wrong" thing by taking MM around on the inside rail rather than the safer middle of track to avoid falling/fallen horses.