PDA

View Full Version : Wood Memorial

tucker6
04-04-2009, 05:34 PM
I Want Revenge comes from dead last due to a flat-footed start to win the Wood with plenty of gas left in the tank. He showed me something today with how he handled the adversity. Bernie comes in second.

onefast99
04-04-2009, 06:01 PM
The starter didnt even see IWR's head was high in the air and sprung the gate anyways. Breen got 2nd, just another part of the seconditis curse. Stew Elliott could of pinned IWR down and let him come out in the stretch, real smart ride by Stewie.

tucker6
04-04-2009, 07:06 PM
Does this horse go to CD?? He finished a fading 5th in the Wood, and hasn't looked impressive in his last two starts or in breezes.

Quagmire
04-04-2009, 07:09 PM
tucker6 Does this horse go to CD?? He finished a fading 5th in the Wood, and hasn't looked impressive in his last two starts or in breezes.

No way

MickJ26
04-04-2009, 07:11 PM
I Want Revenge is a superstar talent, plain and simple. When he spotted the field six lengths, there was a collective groan coming out of the Big A. grandstand, probably because he had about 90% of the show pool. Joey T. didn't panic, didn't hustle him back up, and added a new dimension to his arsenal. The crowd was still buzzing even after the Carter. I think most of the New York racing fans will be pulled for him in the Derby. Thank you, Mr. Lanzman and Mr. Mullins for bringing this superstar to race in New York and best of luck in Louisville.

matthewsiv
04-04-2009, 08:46 PM
The real deal!

Relwob Owner
04-04-2009, 08:51 PM
Does this horse go to CD?? He finished a fading 5th in the Wood, and hasn't looked impressive in his last two starts or in breezes.

This may ruffle some feathers but when is the last time Shug had a prominent horse and wht does he avoid the kind of heat that Lukas and other trainers get?

joanied
04-04-2009, 08:52 PM
AARRGGHH...we have SA Derby & Wood threads here and over at the General section:bang:
But...manoman...what a race the Wood was...I gotta admit, little Joe did a good job...didn't panic and let the horse gather momentum on his own...not sure getting in tight coming out of the turn was a smooth move...but this horse sure is a professional, and took Talamo for one hell of a ride.
No doubt, Imperial Council will skip the Derby...
I am not so sure about IWR in the Derby yet...two huge efforts, although I don't think Talamo hit him during the strecth run...he did it on his own, IMO...
man, this year's Derby is going to be a barn :jump: burner!!

Thomas Roulston
04-05-2009, 05:27 AM
And, as with the Santa Anita Derby, the Beyers will be very interesting.

If West Side Bernie gets at least a 100 Beyer out of this, he could be this year's Funny Cide.

W2G
04-05-2009, 07:38 AM
Before you drape IWR with roses it needs to be stated that he really hasn't beaten much in NY. IC may or may not turn out to be a good horse. West Side Bernie? But IWR has looked very good while not beating much. And shipping from Cali-NY and back, then back to NY... probably a feat no other horse has attempted for the Gotham-Wood. Tough, resilient type bodes well for the "rigors" of the TC, but I'm not sure his talent is equivalent to the hype and lowish price he'll fetch in the KD.

onefast99
04-05-2009, 09:39 AM
Before you drape IWR with roses it needs to be stated that he really hasn't beaten much in NY. IC may or may not turn out to be a good horse. West Side Bernie? But IWR has looked very good while not beating much. And shipping from Cali-NY and back, then back to NY... probably a feat no other horse has attempted for the Gotham-Wood. Tough, resilient type bodes well for the "rigors" of the TC, but I'm not sure his talent is equivalent to the hype and lowish price he'll fetch in the KD.
The other contestants in that race were not of derby quality at all. WS Bernie is ok, Atomic rain is a small stakes horse and the others just got in IWR's way. IWR is the real deal so make sure you bet him in the derby!

DRIVEWAY
04-05-2009, 09:45 AM

If West Side Bernie gets at least a 100 Beyer out of this, he could be this year's Funny Cide.

Yes, and if they geld him, the name could change to Bernie Madoff!

BIG49010
04-05-2009, 10:22 AM
Going into the race I want revenge had 12 - 15 Beyer / Bris points on the field

Joey gave the horse a scary ride and used them all, and the race fig will show that.

If he does something stupid like this again, he will loose the derby by 5 -10 lengths.

onefast99
04-05-2009, 10:27 AM

Please elaborate on this would you.

plainolebill
04-05-2009, 03:04 PM
Funnycide got ~110 BSF for the Wood with Empire Maker one point higher. Significanly higher than a 100.

Thomas Roulston
04-06-2009, 04:54 AM
Funny Cide also finished second in the Wood.

JustRalph
04-06-2009, 03:13 PM
The other horse that impressed me in this race was the 3rd place finisher. The Zito horse. Just a Coincidence.

He was up just off the pace and finished pretty well, all things considered.

A slight improvement and he is a damn fine one........don't think he is a mile and 1/4 type .........but i like what I saw