PDA

View Full Version : Impressive Wood

Hajck Hillstrom
04-04-2009, 05:31 PM
...and the question if I WANT REVENGE can handle traffic is answered.

Watcher
04-04-2009, 05:35 PM
Here's the video...

5hA-ZuAlSaQ

jognlope
04-04-2009, 05:36 PM
A real professional. Hope Wood doesn't jinx him for Derby, if it doesn't he a super horse.

jognlope
04-04-2009, 05:57 PM
Geez Tale of Ekati wasn't into it today, last in Carter.

onefast99
04-04-2009, 06:03 PM
...and the question if I WANT REVENGE can handle traffic is answered.
In the derby he wont get a second chance like today as Stuart could of kept IWR pinned down and taken the race for the fishbowl crew. Nice win by IWR.

jballscalls
04-04-2009, 06:20 PM
does Talamo keep the mount for the Derby or do they go for more experience?? i hope they let him keep it

Relwob Owner
04-04-2009, 06:24 PM
does Talamo keep the mount for the Derby or do they go for more experience?? i hope they let him keep it

After that ride, I say keep him....Im not a huge fan but I thought he showed pretty good patience after the bad start

Ian Meyers
04-04-2009, 06:36 PM
Both good and bad for IWR.

The good, he's got tons of ability and ran what would be a giant figure adjusted for the significant op. The bad news, he has had two big efforts leading up to Derby Day and might come up empty at a short price the first Saturday in May.

Not knocking the Wood, it's just that these are flesh and blood animals not machines, and to expect an early 3YO to run 3 straight monster efforts in 8 weeks is asking a lot.

JMHO.

Saratoga_Mike
04-04-2009, 06:50 PM

They'd be crazy to use Talamo in the Derby. Of course the horse is so talented perhaps it won't matter.

Relwob Owner
04-04-2009, 06:51 PM

The good, he's got tons of ability and ran what would be a giant figure adjusted for the significant op. The bad news, he has had two big efforts leading up to Derby Day and might come up empty at a short price the first Saturday in May.

Not knocking the Wood, it's just that these are flesh and blood animals not machines, and to expect an early 3YO to run 3 straight monster efforts in 8 weeks is asking a lot.

JMHO.

I thought the same thing but didnt want to be a buzzkill on him.....that race today runs the risk of bning too good and that he may bounce off it---but man, was it good

Turfday
04-04-2009, 06:55 PM
Was at least food for thought wondering how the 3-year-olds who have been running on synthetic will handle the switch. He made some good points. Is Pioneer of the Nile or the other California 3-year-olds going to be as effective on Churchill's dirt track?

At least I Want Revenge seems to handle the stuff they run on in NY (lol). That was some, special effort he turned in.

Marshall Bennett
04-04-2009, 07:03 PM
They'd be crazy to use Talamo in the Derby. Of course the horse is so talented perhaps it won't matter.
I thought he kept his cool about him and ran a good race . He knows the horse better than any other jockey . Imo , they'd be crazy not to use him in the derby .

Saratoga_Mike
04-04-2009, 07:15 PM
I thought he kept his cool about him and ran a good race . He knows the horse better than any other jockey . Imo , they'd be crazy not to use him in the derby .

IWR threw his head back just as the gate opened up - that obviously wasn't Talamo's fault. Then the horse quickly recovered and made up ground down the backstretch (nothing special about the ride yet). By the middle of the stretch, Talamo had the horse buried and had to check briefly (not impressed by that move). He finally gets an opening and IWR surges to the lead - b/c he was much the best, not b/c of any skill on the part of the jockey. My opinion. I'm sure others will disagree.

tucker6
04-04-2009, 07:24 PM

JMHO.
Several have done as you suggest, so it isn't impossible. <remember Secretariat's three records during the TC run> Of course, IWR must be somewhat of a superhorse to pull it off. Not sure he is, and no, I'm not suggesting in any way that he is capable of holding Sec's shoes let alone run with him..

DanG
04-04-2009, 07:34 PM
I thought he kept his cool about him and ran a good race .
I agree Marshall;

He kept a VERY cool head and saved all the ground he could. His poise waiting for that hole near the 1/8th pole was that of a veteran rider.

Of course with IEAH involved and the scrutiny NY inherently brings Talamo has gone from being critiqued to being dissected.

On a side note: With all due respect to Vic Stauffer / Joel Rosario made a serious tactical error in the SA Derby on #1 Chocolate Candy when he vacated the pocket to get a cab turning for home. Not only does he beat the eventual winner imo, but 90% of the Pamplemousse drowns that field with or without the rabbit.

Bobthebuilder
04-04-2009, 07:39 PM
In the derby he wont get a second chance like today as Stuart could of kept IWR pinned down and taken the race for the fishbowl crew. Nice win by IWR.
Elliot should have kept IWR pinned behind a wall of horses, a little better race riding Bernie is the winner!

joanied
04-04-2009, 08:34 PM
Geez Tale of Ekati wasn't into it today, last in Carter.

jog...did you watch the break...he lost all hope at the break...don't know what happened, seemed as if he tripped himself up or something...obviously he wasn't ready for the break...I feel awful for Tagg.

OTM Al
04-04-2009, 09:29 PM
I wasn't kidding when I said IWR looked like a beast when I saw him in the paddock at the Gotham. I don't believe you'll see the so called bounce either as what you saw was a hand ride. He won that easy and I would keep Joe T on that horse after such a smart and more importantly patient ride.

I have now seen both IWR and Quality Road (and Dunkirk for that matter) in person and there is no doubt in my mind that I Want Revenge is the best horse aimed at the Derby. I will say it again. Beast.

For the Dunkirk fans however, you should be happy about today's results. The Wood qualified no one new, nor did the Illinois Derby, nor did the SA Derby. Dunkirk, for better or worse, should be good to go now.

DRIVEWAY
04-04-2009, 09:41 PM
I wasn't kidding when I said IWR looked like a beast when I saw him in the paddock at the Gotham. I don't believe you'll see the so called bounce either as what you saw was a hand ride. He won that easy and I would keep Joe T on that horse after such a smart and more importantly patient ride.

I have now seen both IWR and Quality Road (and Dunkirk for that matter) in person and there is no doubt in my mind that I Want Revenge is the best horse aimed at the Derby. I will say it again. Beast.

For the Dunkirk fans however, you should be happy about today's results. The Wood qualified no one new, nor did the Illinois Derby, nor did the SA Derby. Dunkirk, for better or worse, should be good to go now.

What are fair odds for IWR in the future wager?

WinterTriangle
04-04-2009, 11:27 PM
word out on Imperial Council is that he flipped in his paddock while being saddled before the race. (this from eye witness on another forum.) :eek:

the little guy
04-04-2009, 11:33 PM
word out on Imperial Council is that he flipped in his paddock while being saddled before the race. (this from eye witness on another forum.) :eek:

We reported that on our broadcast.

samyn on the green
04-04-2009, 11:40 PM
word out on Imperial Council is that he flipped in his paddock while being saddled before the race. (this from eye witness on another forum.) :eek:Was that from me on the NY board?

cj's dad
04-04-2009, 11:41 PM
but 90% of the Pamplemousse drowns that field with or without the rabbit.

Last time the intelligent folks on this board checked, the Pamplemousse was scratched; ergo he did not run run, therefore he had no effect on the race -- Pay Attention !!!

WinterTriangle
04-04-2009, 11:47 PM
Was that from me on the NY board?

No. :) But obviously, a lot of people saw IC's flip. :( I'm not gonna toss him based on this....but I'm sure he didn't run well after that.

As for the Papplemouse, I'd bet him to win on almost every race I can think of......except the KY Derby. And that was even *before* his injury. My gut always said he is not for that distance on dirt.

samyn on the green
04-05-2009, 12:02 AM
I hated Imperial Council today and his flip in the paddock and other bad behavior made him a great toss. Nothing like having two really strong opinions on one race with physical evidence on display. Imperial Council is a sprinter, that inefficent action of his will keep him at distances less than 8 furlongs. As Soon as Shug figures this out the better. For my sake I hope he runs long all year. No. :) But obviously, a lot of people saw IC's flip. :( I'm not gonna toss him based on this....but I'm sure he didn't run well after that.

As for the Papplemouse, I'd bet him to win on almost every race I can think of......except the KY Derby. And that was even *before* his injury. My gut always said he is not for that distance on dirt.

DrugS
04-05-2009, 12:27 AM
Not knocking the Wood, it's just that these are flesh and blood animals not machines,

When Mullins has them right - they aren't so flesh and bloody ... they are often like consistant machines.

W2G
04-05-2009, 07:17 AM

A good pic of the flip:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses/3413852466/

Hard to say how much of his race he left in the paddock. His next race, whenever that is, will give us a clue.

OTM Al
04-05-2009, 08:26 AM
What are fair odds for IWR in the future wager?

I'll use Smarty Jones as a baseline as to me he was the most obvious winner 4 weeks out I've ever seen. I got 11-1 on him in the futures and he went off 4.5-1 as either 1st or 2nd favorite. I would think due to the competative nature of the field this year, the fav at the Derby must be again at least 4-1. Anything else is short. I would triple that number and say if you can get 12-1 on him, I'd take it.

Marshall Bennett
04-05-2009, 11:34 AM
Did anyone else here notice the poor ride by Ramon Dominguez on Barrier Reef in the Excelsior , the race just prior to the Wood ? He parked his horse deep in the pack , left him there , and finally with the wire approaching he makes his move . It was as if he was planning on a 3rd place finish even as the gate opened . :confused:

point given
04-05-2009, 11:45 AM
I'll use Smarty Jones as a baseline as to me he was the most obvious winner 4 weeks out I've ever seen. I got 11-1 on him in the futures and he went off 4.5-1 as either 1st or 2nd favorite. I would think due to the competative nature of the field this year, the fav at the Derby must be again at least 4-1. Anything else is short. I would triple that number and say if you can get 12-1 on him, I'd take it.

Think you're right. I'd guess that there will be 3-4 cofavorites around 4-5/1. I Want Revenge, Pioneer of the Nile, Quality Road and Friesan Fire.

joanied
04-05-2009, 12:32 PM
W2G....thanks for the photo link... what a shot:ThmbUp: I'd like to see the series of photos on that one...lucky he rolled onto his side when he came down...bet he's a sore horse this morning.

JustRalph
04-05-2009, 05:29 PM
flipped over and on to his side?

And he let him run?

I gotta question that.................

joanied
04-05-2009, 05:51 PM
flipped over and on to his side?

And he let him run?

I gotta question that.................

Of course, the vet checked him out after the flip & fall...said it was OK to run him, but as conservative as Shug is, I'm surprised he didn't scratch... even though the vet said Ok...you have to realize a flip & fall like that almost always, at the least, creates a very sore horse...maybe that's why IC didn't fire...he was just sore as hell.

Relwob Owner
04-05-2009, 06:30 PM
Think you're right. I'd guess that there will be 3-4 cofavorites around 4-5/1. I Want Revenge, Pioneer of the Nile, Quality Road and Friesan Fire.

My two cents is that IWR will be a bigger favorite than you guys think....I think he is 5 to 2, QR is 9 to 2 and POTN/FF will both be ion the 6 to one range

rastajenk
04-05-2009, 07:54 PM
And Old Fashioned will take a lot of money if he wins next week. The idea of several co favorites at 5 or 6 to one has happened before, and it's not far-fetched this year.

samyn on the green
04-06-2009, 04:22 AM
Wood Memorial trip report from the Big-A. (http://gregcalabrese.blogspot.com/2009/04/wood-memorial-trip-report.html)

Thomas Roulston
04-06-2009, 04:57 AM
But doesn't I Want Revenge's Wood trip bear an almost uncanny resemblance to Air Forbes Won's trip in the '82 Gotham?

A fat lot of good that did Air Forbes Won in the Derby (plus AFW even won the Wood too).

I'm not convinced that IWR wants a mile and a quarter - maybe the lack of any Solid/Professional presence in his Dosage Profile has something to do with that?

JustRalph
04-06-2009, 02:57 PM
The bad start.........makes me wonder if it didn't benefit him

I am gonna watch this replay a few more times before I make any decision on how good this race was

onefast99
04-06-2009, 03:13 PM

I am gonna watch this replay a few more times before I make any decision on how good this race was
He ran a great race, should be tough in the Derby.

OTM Al
04-06-2009, 05:35 PM

I can't believe that spotting the field several lengths can ever be of benefit. What it did show is that both horse and jockey were able to respond to not one but 2 bad issues during the trip (the second being boxed in and it looked like he got rammed by the horse on his inside before finding the seam) If anything both horse and jock have shown that they can handle the type of adversity that doubtless will occur at some point in a 20 horse field. That is worth a lot in judging the chances in a race like the derby. It will take something incredible this weekend to make me not think he is #1. It calls to mind when Smarty Jones nearly went down to his knees in, I think, the Southwest and then still blasted the field or Afleet Alex recovering from nearly going on his head in the turn in the Preakness. Horse and rider both keeping it together and then letting it loose as soon as the chance presented. Makings of a champion.

Marshall Bennett
04-06-2009, 07:18 PM
I was pulling for Tyler Baze when he was aboard " Don't Get Mad " in the Derby a few years back . I think he finished 4th . Joe has a better chance with his horse . I think its refreshing when a young kid wins a derby . I'd certainly like to see Joe win this one .