PDA

View Full Version : A.P. Indy Question

MickJ26
04-03-2009, 03:23 PM
I'm just browsing A.P. Indy's past performances and, if someone can refresh my memory, why he didn't run in the Derby that year. He went from the S.A. Derby to the Peter Pan to the Belmont. If the graded stakes earnings policy was in place back then, I'm sure by virtue of winning the S.A. Derby, he'd have had enough to make the Derby field. Just wondering out loud. Thanks.

miesque
04-03-2009, 03:50 PM
If I recall correctly, AP Indy had a stone buise or some other foot ailment that came up either the morning of or the day prior to the Derby and he was scratched, but I could be wrong on the specifics of why he didn't run.

Brogan
04-03-2009, 04:25 PM
I think it might have been a quarter crack.

MickJ26
04-03-2009, 04:29 PM
If I recall correctly, AP Indy had a stone buise or some other foot ailment that came up either the morning of or the day prior to the Derby and he was scratched, but I could be wrong on the specifics of why he didn't run.

Thanks, Miesque. I knew there had to be a logical reason. I remember the Santa Anita Derby and the Belmont, but, nothing in between for some reason. Many thanks.

joanied
04-03-2009, 05:19 PM
I also beleive it was a quarter crack....and a damned shame it happened just then.

KidCapper
04-04-2009, 11:59 AM
After a 10-length Santa Anita Derby victory that made him the leading American prospect in the Triple Crown races, A.P. Indy suffered a bruised hoof that forced Drysdale to scratch him from the Kentucky Derby, a race a healthy Indy probably would have won. At Churchill Downs on Derby Day, Drysdale watched in stony-faced silence as the heavily favored French colt Arazi laded in the stretch and the 17-1 shot Lil E. Tee came galloping home like a giraffe to win the 1�-mile race in a slow 2:04. Indy missed the Preakness, too, but Drysdale had him cranked for the May 24 Peter Pan, which he won easily, and 13 days later he prevailed in the Belmont Stakes.