PDA

View Full Version : Saarland has died

jognlope
04-03-2009, 01:14 PM
So sad to hear.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/49995/pensioned-stallion-saarland-dead

joanied
04-03-2009, 01:21 PM
Yes, it is sad news...we also lost a wondrful mare, Go KoKo.

Those feeders people put in pastures are an accident waiting to happen...Ive seen too many horse wrecks with those things over the years.
Need to feed in the pasture...use ground tubs for grain, and feed hay in big rubber tractor tires, or on the ground.

RIP:(

miesque
04-03-2009, 01:28 PM
I was just thinking of Saarland last evening because I noticed going through today's Keeneland PPs that he has a half-sister in the last race of the day (a MSW) named Siren Serenade.

RIP Saarland

jognlope
04-03-2009, 01:56 PM
Reminds me of a horrific picture posted by the owner of a horse who got into a huge tired and died, wrote her a letter.

joanied
04-03-2009, 04:57 PM
Reminds me of a horrific picture posted by the owner of a horse who got into a huge tired and died, wrote her a letter.

Geeze...that's horrible...if I found one of my horses dead like that, I'd freak out...be a basket case.
That must have been one huge tire...I'd like to know just how big it was, jog...folks around here have been using tractor tires for feeders, well, forever...never a horse tried to lay inside of one...the ones I use here, well, no way in hell could a horse get down and inside one, even if a horse wanted to try...he couldn't do it.
In fact, there are companies that make tire feeders. Anyway, that's very sad.

Grits
04-03-2009, 08:43 PM
I shouldn't tell this but I'm gonna anyway. RIP Saarland. Let's get this outta the way before I talk about ya.

Now and then in life, out of nowhere, things just strike us as damn hilarious. They may not grab others, but for whatever reason, they get us. They may not even be intended as such. Maybe its all in the delivery, as in this case.

Anyway, one of the greatest laughs I've ever had regarding a racehorse was listening to an upcoming Saratoga race being discussed a year or two ago. There was a particular entry going off on the day's card and it seems--this was a son (or a daughter, I don't remember which) of Saarland. The entry's chances were volleyed back and forth. Finally, said analyst quips in his deadpan, absolutely no shot in hell . . . guys, you ain't got a clue summation:

"yeah, right . . . . BY SAARLAND; BRED TO HANG."

Y'all, it carried me all afternoon in the backyard at Saratoga. And every time I've heard his name since, I laugh again. I never cashed a ticket on him, but he's damn sure made me smile. And the person who uttered this one liner--well, he's a notable member here at PA.

I'm convinced, few horses, and quite possibly, only Saarland could come to an untimely demise at the hands of a tire.

Again, RIP fella, you'll be remembered!

joanied
04-03-2009, 09:29 PM
Hey Grits....I don't think we know what type of feeder Saarland ran into...although your story made me smile...but, I had mentioned that feeders don't belong in a pasture, unless it's a tire type feeder (maybe that horse jog mentioned is the only horse in history to lay down inside a tire and die)...I beleive in Saarland's case, it was one of those metal feeders...usually they have a metal 'cage' ontop for hay, and a metal tray under it for catching the hay and/or putting grain in.
I would bet the feeder in question for him was made of metal...

Grits
04-03-2009, 09:36 PM
And Joanie, I've seen these many times. Still, how in the world? What'd he do? Just damn take off running, drop his head, and decide to commit suicide?

I hope it had nothin' to do with hanging. ;)

Stevie Belmont
04-03-2009, 10:13 PM
Saarland!

I remember him well, kind of a plodder, but I liked him

I think he won the Gotham Stakes...

That's to bad

He was actually the favorite for awhile in the 2002 Derby...

Rico8812
04-03-2009, 10:50 PM
Why do they wait 3+ weeks to announce in the press that he died? Is it kept a secret for some reason I can't fathom?

joanied
04-04-2009, 10:08 AM
And Joanie, I've seen these many times. Still, how in the world? What'd he do? Just damn take off running, drop his head, and decide to commit suicide?

I hope it had nothin' to do with hanging. ;)

Makes ya wonder:confused: I suppose we'll never know exactly hoe he managed it...'they' never give enough details when the death of a horse is announced. Anyway, no doubt it was not a easy way to go...poor horse.

westny
04-08-2009, 04:33 PM
Saarlight just blew away a nice field in F&M, ALW 45k at Aquduct. 6.5 F, Won by 10 lengths in decent time 22.3 45.2 109.4 116.4. Wind wnw 10-20mph
K. McLaughlin-trainer.

jognlope
04-08-2009, 05:35 PM
Joanied, it was a huge tire and the horse managed to get inside. I was sorry I ever saw that picture, felt bad for the owner.

joanied
04-08-2009, 06:13 PM
Joanied, it was a huge tire and the horse managed to get inside. I was sorry I ever saw that picture, felt bad for the owner.

Thanks, jog...yeah, stuff like that has a way of stamping itself in your mind...again, it had to be horrific.
The tires I use for my horses are just not big enough to allow for a horse to lay in one and get stuck, thank goodness...if they were big enough to even possibly hold a horse, after this story, I woulda tossed them.
Another thing, is I suppose that owner didn't see that horse for at least a full 24 hours...thankfully, all my horses are right next to our house and I can see them until it gets too dark, plus I spend time with them everyday.

Still would like to know what type feeder it was that killed Saarland...anyone with horses might want to know, so it doesn't happen to one of their horses too.

:(

connorsmom
04-08-2009, 07:24 PM
Saarlight just blew away a nice field in F&M, ALW 45k at Aquduct. 6.5 F, Won by 10 lengths in decent time 22.3 45.2 109.4 116.4. Wind wnw 10-20mph
K. McLaughlin-trainer.

I saw that race today. Impressive race for this Saarland offspring. I was pretty high on him as a sire so sad to see him go.