PDA

View Full Version : NYRA/DRF Saratoga Seminars Announcement

the little guy
04-02-2009, 06:53 PM
Changes for this coming summer.......

http://nyra.com/aqueduct/stories/Apr022009.shtml

classhandicapper
04-02-2009, 07:05 PM
I've enjoyed Harvey Pack for decades. I'll miss his humor and stories, but at least they made a great choice to replace him. :ThmbUp:

the little guy
04-02-2009, 07:07 PM
Thanks. In all sincerity, nobody could possibly miss Harvey more than I will. It has been one of the greatest pleasures of my life to have had the opportunity to share the stage with him these last ten years.

Hopefully he'll make an appearance for a few seminars this summer.

framarco
04-02-2009, 09:45 PM
Good luck, Harvey! You'll always be the best. Hopefully, we'll be able to see you every now and then at the Spa! It will never be the same without you.

slew101
04-02-2009, 09:46 PM
His last book, Pack at the Track, was a very good read.

W2G
04-02-2009, 10:02 PM
A new era dawns. Congrats Andy. But I hope the new role doesn't water down your acerbic wit. ;)

Gotta say I'll miss the cozy confines of Siro's though. I'll probably even miss those cheap, white plastic chairs.

Tom
04-03-2009, 09:24 AM
No Siro's ??????

Might better dig up the turf course.
BAD decision.

aaron
04-03-2009, 09:42 AM
Harvey Pack was always my favorite. He did more to bring fans to NYRA than any other individual. I feel NYRA has made a great choice in having Andy has the host.
One more thing Andy, I feel there should be a Harvey Pack Day at one of the NYRA tracks. Lets thank Harvey for all the years,he made racing so much fun.

Bobzilla
04-03-2009, 09:46 AM
Harvey Pack was always my favorite. He did more to bring fans to NYRA than any other individual. I feel NYRA has made a great choice in having Andy has the host.
One more thing Andy, I feel there should be a Harvey Pack Day at one of the NYRA tracks. Lets thank Harvey for all the years,he made racing so much fun.

I agree. A Harvey Pack Day is a great idea. May the Horse always be with him.

point given
04-03-2009, 10:26 AM
Woe is me and all other Pack fans, a sad day for nyra racing fans. I so enjoyed his repartee with all the drf guests. How could one not smile and laugh as harvey gave the needle to a guest with the guest and audience smiling and appreciating that harvey was just being harvey with no malice intended, just the enjoyment of the moment. I used to watch his on track show at the carousel before the split and then the broadcast from siros on the otb channel later on. It was always something to look forward to before heading out or turning on . Little Andy has learned from the best and holds his own mind you, but I just wish he was the host of the new show and not the co host. I do hope that they choose Donovan for the host position though instead of Blewitt, I can't take that much ego and know it allness from someone who doesn't ; at least Donovan doesn't try to overpower and try to prove how smart he is with his cockiness. I hope that Harveys family situation improves so that he can visit with his friends at the spa and perhaps have a Pack day as someone suggested . It would be neat if they had a giveaway with a saratoga fannypack with "Pack at the track" emblazoned on it.

Grits
04-03-2009, 10:29 AM
Point Given, the pack is a better idea than the bobblehead. Given its Harvey.;)

Stevie Belmont
04-03-2009, 10:34 AM
How about the time Harvey Pack rubbed John Veitch bald head as he was being interviewed after Proud Truth's BC Classic win during the 2nd BC Telecast on NBC at Aqueduct? Watched the replay of that entire BC telecast, and caught that. Mr Veitch was a tad agitated. That was memorable Pack moment.

BombsAway Bob
04-03-2009, 11:10 AM
Aaron, I certainly hope that Harvey gets back to "where it all began", The Carousel @ Saratoga, for a HARVEY PACK DAY in '09! I'd be there!
First, I wish Harvey a long and well-deserved retirement, but in my own selfish thoughts, all I can think of is the old quote, "Say It Ain't So!"
Watching Harvey pose for photos with hundreds of racing fans before the start of the seminars, watching Andy actually DRINK the Saratoga Spring Water :faint: on the stage, and being lucky enough to see Harvey throw his program off the Siro's stage on the final Sunday of the SPA meet every year always brought a tear to my eye! If you haven't read, "PACK AT THE TRACK", what are you waiting for?

tribecaagent
04-03-2009, 11:11 AM
How about the time Harvey Pack rubbed John Veitch bald head as he was being interviewed after Proud Truth's BC Classic win during the 2nd BC Telecast on NBC at Aqueduct? Watched the replay of that entire BC telecast, and caught that. Mr Veitch was a tad agitated. That was memorable Pack moment.

Those BC telecasts were the greatest (with Harvey & Pete Axthelm).

You know, Calder has the Pete Axthelm Stakes and NYRA should have the Harvey Pack Stakes. Horses that have started for a claiming price, minimum age of 7 years, and at least 12 wins. His exact m.o. - hard knockin', old, and game as they come.

Quagmire
04-03-2009, 11:19 AM
<You know, Calder has the Pete Axthelm Stakes and NYRA should have the Harvey Pack Stakes. Horses that have started for a claiming price, minimum age of 7 years, and at least 12 wins. His exact m.o. - hard knockin', old, and game as they come.>

This is an excellent idea.

Figman
04-03-2009, 11:23 AM
In The Albany Times-Union
Siro’s in Saratoga Springs for sale, asking price is $3.1M
February 26, 2009 at 6:08 pm by Eric Anderson, Deputy business editor

The restaurant is synonymous with Saratoga Race Course
The current owners, who bought Siro’s 25 years ago, have listed the landmark restaurant with Realty USA. Asking price is $3.1 million.

“They’re ready to get into the other areas of their lives, as it was put to me,” said D. Vaughn Woodworth, the real estate agent who listed the property. But he added that Tom Dillon, one of the partners and the chef, “would stay for awhile to get them off the ground,” if the right deal came along.

Siro’s has operated at least since the 1930s, and is in a zone that permits it to be open just 90 days a year. Thirty of those must be during the Saratoga Race Course season.

The owners are trying to get those restrictions eased somewhat, and plan an upcoming appearance before the city’s zoning board, Woodworth said.

Asked whether the current economy would make it difficult to sell the restaurant, Woodworth said no.

“It’s amazing the phone calls I’ve been getting this week,” he said. “It’s a great piece of property. It’s become a piece of the track.”

Posted in Restaurants |

DanG
04-03-2009, 12:31 PM
Very few people are as synonymous with their profession as Harvey Pack. He adds just the right amount of charm to the classic NY swagger while making it play effectively across the country. He can talk to a Vanderbilt and / or the two dollar bettor and make them both feel equally important.

Best of luck to him / his family and to those who carry on his great legacy.
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/1932910859.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

rjorio
04-03-2009, 04:37 PM
On a grey and dreary day in New York the skys have really opened up as if to morn the retirement of the great Harvey Pack . Saratoga will just not be the same without his wit and gambling wisdom on display at siro's each Summer.Harvey can never truly be replaced but handing the stewardship to his demon spawn ,Andy Serling ,was only appropriate. I could do without the two other NYRA commentators . I nominate Kurt Paselka for co-host ,now that would really stir things up.

Tom
04-04-2009, 12:59 AM
Siro's for sale????

Hmmm....permanent home for Toga? ;)

badcompany
04-04-2009, 11:45 AM
Here's a Harvey Pack line I remember:

"...and now we come to the 10th race, which is often the difference between eating in town or in some dump down the road.":lol:

the little guy
04-04-2009, 01:08 PM
Here's a Harvey Pack line I remember:

"...and now we come to the 10th race, which is often the difference between eating in town or in some dump down the road.":lol:

The line, which I heard hundreds of times, is " the difference between eating at Siros or McDonalds. "