PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else agree that Monmouth park should run their

onefast99
04-02-2009, 05:56 PM
own Claiming Crown day? Why not, there are always an abundance of claimers at this track who end up running in the 5k to 50k claiming races all meet long. Why not reward these claimers with a Claiming Crown day 8 races just claimers. It is evident the NJ breds will be down this year. Have this event at mid meet, thats when the turf course is also in its best condition. Run 6 on the dirt and 2 on the turf. Last fall Monmouth Park ran the Monmouth Stakes and put up a lot of money to lure Big Brown, why not give back to the owner, trainer and the bettor with a solid day of racing and good purses to match. What do you think?

Bluto Blutarsky
04-02-2009, 08:34 PM
I think it is a GREAT idea. Here is the problem...You are not the racing secretary. Take a look at Monmouth's condition book this year vs. last year's.
Notice any thing different? Me neither. It is the exact same book year after year after year. Oh yeah, last year for the first time, they ran a 2 furlong race for 2 year old maidens.
The problem is Monmouth Park's administration consists of state employees that are unimaginative and uninspired to do the right things to make racing prosper. King of the Do-Nothings is Bob Kulina. The Monmouth Park President's salary in 2007 was $187,000. This year will mark the 25th year Bob has been a state employee. Bob- do the right thing. RETIRE. GET OUT. Take your big fat state pension and go away.
Fast- things won't change for the better at Monmouth Park until this sad sack who runs the place leaves the premises. He is burnt out, offering no new ideas and is a major part of the problem.

NJ Stinks
04-03-2009, 01:00 AM
I cannot understand why Jersey-breds can't run in NJ restricted Md Sp Wt's and Maiden claimers on the turf. It would be a nice break from the usual 6 furlngs on dirt.

And Onefast99, I think Monmouth execs think Monmouth is too good to run a claiming crown. :bang:

Bluto Blutarsky
04-03-2009, 08:07 AM
There is no mystery why the racing office won't card restricted maiden or claiming or allowance races on the turf- they want to force J Breds to run in open company so the fields are bigger.

onefast99
04-03-2009, 10:06 AM
I think it is a GREAT idea. Here is the problem...You are not the racing secretary. Take a look at Monmouth's condition book this year vs. last year's.
Notice any thing different? Me neither. It is the exact same book year after year after year. Oh yeah, last year for the first time, they ran a 2 furlong race for 2 year old maidens.
The problem is Monmouth Park's administration consists of state employees that are unimaginative and uninspired to do the right things to make racing prosper. King of the Do-Nothings is Bob Kulina. The Monmouth Park President's salary in 2007 was $187,000. This year will mark the 25th year Bob has been a state employee. Bob- do the right thing. RETIRE. GET OUT. Take your big fat state pension and go away.
Fast- things won't change for the better at Monmouth Park until this sad sack who runs the place leaves the premises. He is burnt out, offering no new ideas and is a major part of the problem.
The claiming crown could take place in July it will not upset any of the scheduled race days and will draw good horses and a nice crowd. Once the meet is up and running I am going to request this day its easy to set up.

misscashalot
04-03-2009, 10:15 AM
I think it is a GREAT idea. Here is the problem...You are not the racing secretary. Take a look at Monmouth's condition book this year vs. last year's. Notice any thing different? Me neither. It is the exact same book year after year after year. ......

good point. maybe they should follow the NYRA lead. In the past year they have carded several different race types, NW4L, Lower price claimers, a wider variety NYBred Mdn, also Starter Hdcp with conditions from $10,000 to $50,000, all types that fill. It's an interesting mix.

Bobthebuilder
04-03-2009, 10:29 AM
I cannot understand why Jersey-breds can't run in NJ restricted Md Sp Wt's and Maiden claimers on the turf. It would be a nice break from the usual 6 furlngs on dirt.

And Onefast99, I think Monmouth execs think Monmouth is too good to run a claiming crown. :bang:
They had the Breeders Cup there no way they would seemingly lower themselves to a claiming crown. They consider themselves a notch below the NYRA tracks . They barely run starters as it is, they care about one day "Haskell " is its name!

point given
04-03-2009, 10:42 AM
It's worth a shot. anything to get bigger more competive fields. It is so lame to have those 5-6 horse fields with 3 2/1 shots running. They did improve the betting menu though with the pk 5, although i miss the choose 6 bet which I liked.

Bluto Blutarsky
04-03-2009, 10:43 AM
The claiming crown could take place in July it will not upset any of the scheduled race days and will draw good horses and a nice crowd. Once the meet is up and running I am going to request this day its easy to set up.

Fast- if you can make this happen- They should rename the Lady's Secret Bar after you. As a matter of fact, I'll name my next kid after you...as long as it is not a girl.

Stevie Belmont
04-03-2009, 11:32 AM
They have done away with New Jersey Bred day...Simply not enough J Breds to hold the event.

GaryG
04-03-2009, 11:41 AM
They have done away with New Jersey Bred day...Simply not enough J Breds to hold the event.Maybe when Maryland racing goes down the tubes they could have a day for Mid-Atlantic breds. NJ, PA MD and DEL (if they have any).

point given
04-03-2009, 11:59 AM
Maybe when Maryland racing goes down the tubes they could have a day for Mid-Atlantic breds. NJ, PA MD and DEL (if they have any).

I actually proposed this same idea about 5-10 years ago and the NTRA picked up on it (but not midlantic) and ran it at Lonestar I think, sorta a little guys BC of statebreds ( it lasted 1-2 years); then Stronach picked it up and made the Sunshine millions Fl vs Cal breds. Agree that a Midlantic day would be good, maybe a month after the NY bred day in october so it would be a november day, have maybe 3-4 horses allowed from each place with AE's for low filling races. I think the MIDLANTIC CHALLENGE would be fun and could be run at a different track each year with each association contributing to purses.

Bluto Blutarsky
04-03-2009, 12:21 PM
They have done away with New Jersey Bred day...Simply not enough J Breds to hold the event.
Not true. Jersey Bred Day this year will be August 23. There will be 3 races worth 60K each and The Charles Hesse Handicap worth 100K.
The rest of the card will be a mix of claiming and allowance races.

Stevie Belmont
04-03-2009, 03:38 PM
I thought I heard they nixed the whole thing...

At least they are having those...

NTamm1215
04-03-2009, 06:06 PM
I actually proposed this same idea about 5-10 years ago and the NTRA picked up on it (but not midlantic) and ran it at Lonestar I think, sorta a little guys BC of statebreds ( it lasted 1-2 years); then Stronach picked it up and made the Sunshine millions Fl vs Cal breds. Agree that a Midlantic day would be good, maybe a month after the NY bred day in october so it would be a november day, have maybe 3-4 horses allowed from each place with AE's for low filling races. I think the MIDLANTIC CHALLENGE would be fun and could be run at a different track each year with each association contributing to purses.

It was called the Great State Challenge and it was at Sam Houston in 2002. It was supposed to be back in 2003 but was not.

NT

point given
04-03-2009, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by point given

It was called the Great State Challenge and it was at Sam Houston in 2002. It was supposed to be back in 2003 but was not.

NT

Right you are, Sam Houston it was. I think the thing they did wrong was make it a national competition instead of letting it grow organically from a regional one first. That guy (blanking on his name) who headed NTRA then to NYRA and then part of a play for the NYRA slots ruined a good idea. The only good one is the claiming crown at Canterbury and they almost ruined that by putting it at a different location where it did poorly , if i remember right. ?