PDA

View Full Version : track speed bias aws

redeye007
04-02-2009, 04:35 AM
I have noticed that some tracks with the all weather surfaces seem to exhibit a definite bias towards speed after it rains. it seems when the turf races are taken off the turf due to bad weather that this bias seems to occur. I have been cashing nice tickets picking up runners that have the best combined 1st call speed and 2nd call speed . anyone else notice this phenomena?

robert99
04-02-2009, 05:29 PM
Ever walked on a sand beach shore after the tide's gone out?

Tom
04-03-2009, 07:34 AM
Hey guys, get a room! :D

Seriously, I think the AWS present more biases than dirt!
Considering they were touted as being consistent........:rolleyes:

andicap
04-04-2009, 05:33 AM
Hey, Tom, ever watch gladiator movies? :D

Thomas Roulston
04-05-2009, 05:53 AM
About 20 years ago I developed my own personal system for computing track bias.

It went like this:

Take the winner's running position at the second call (after 1/4 mile in most sprints, after 1/2 mile in most routes) and determine what percentage of the field the winner had beat at that point (Example: Winner was 3rd in an 8-horse field after the first quarter of a 6-furlong race; the rating is 71, as the winner was ahead of five of the other seven horses - 71.4 per cent - at that call). Do this for each race, then obtain an average from the numbers, compiling separate averages for dirt and turf races (and I also kept separate figures for one-turn and two-turn races on dirt).

The meeting-wide averages at the NYRA tracks typically ranged from 65 to 75 in the late '80s and early '90s.