PDA

View Full Version : Anybody see W. the movie?

PaceAdvantage
04-02-2009, 12:05 AM
I watched it the other night. It was what I expected for the most part.

I have to give Josh Brolin props...his Bush impersonation was very, very good, especially vocally.

Two things greatly troubled me about the movie, basically ruining it for me...and both were in the form of actors. The actress playing Condi Rice (Thandie Newtwon) had this unbelievably over-the-top way of uttering her lines. I thought for a moment I was watching a comedy. How Oliver Stone allowed this to continue through the movie is beyond me...he must be just too full of kool-aid to even notice at this point.

The other thing that annoyed the hell out of me was the actor playing Colin Powell (Jeffrey Wright). He too was way over-the-top with the way he delivered his lines, though not quite as bad as the actress playing Rice.

I'm not sure how this got by everyone at the studio...everyone else played their roles quite believably...but those two....WOW is all I can say.

NJ Stinks
04-02-2009, 01:22 AM
Is it worth watching, PA?

PaceAdvantage
04-03-2009, 10:49 PM
I'm not sure what the movie's intentions were, so I can't quite say it's worth seeing. If you're a Bush-basher, then I suppose it's worth seeing. For you, it will be like slipping into a comfortable pair of bluejeans.

For more fair-minded folks like myself, it will probably bother you that many liberties were taken with the truth (for instance, Stone has Bush uttering his infamous "can't get fooled again" flubber at a meeting in the White House, when in fact I believe this line was delivered in a public speech....stuff like that...)

DanG
04-04-2009, 12:06 AM
For more fair-minded folks like myself
You’re the best Mike; you really missed your calling as a top trial attorney the way you frame arguments! :)

NJ Stinks
04-04-2009, 12:39 AM
I'm not sure what the movie's intentions were, so I can't quite say it's worth seeing. If you're a Bush-basher, then I suppose it's worth seeing. For you, it will be like slipping into a comfortable pair of bluejeans.

I see, PA. I guess I'll wait until it comes to the FOX Movie Channel. :p

Rookies
04-04-2009, 09:37 PM
I see, PA. I guess I'll wait until it comes to the FOX Movie Channel. :p :lol: :ThmbUp:

While in Vegas this week, I tuned into FOX News. What a continuous collection of whackos & the whacked out. Even better, the punch lines used here, like the one used by Pace on the right to continued criticism, are IDENTICAL in wording ! :lol:

At least, ANY woman from the left ( replacing Colmes) provides a more than adequate foil for Hannity, even outshouting him until the next commecial break. Hilarious.

Great to see them trot out the: " Why can't the Messiah stop the hard left/ anarchist protests at the summit" lines. ( Again- same as here) Of course, although FOX has looked reeaaaaal hard, it's been very difficult for them to spot the burning of Obama in effigy, Down with Obama and Death to America signs- a fixture for Bush throughout his failed and misguided presidency.

Never seen 'W' btw. The real thing was more than frightening. :D

jballscalls
04-04-2009, 09:42 PM
i think it was too soon to make a Dubya movie, give it some time, let us soak in what he did, and what the next guy does. You think if Obama screws things up they will make a movie about him?

hcap
04-05-2009, 01:10 AM
Fox already makes up cartoons about him.
Come to think of it there are quite a few Looney Tunes here as well.

PaceAdvantage
04-05-2009, 09:49 PM
Fox already makes up cartoons about him.They are just following the left's grand tradition. You are the king of cartoons.

PaceAdvantage
04-05-2009, 09:54 PM
:lol: :ThmbUp:

While in Vegas this week, I tuned into FOX News. What a continuous collection of whackos & the whacked out. Even better, the punch lines used here, like the one used by Pace on the right to continued criticism, are IDENTICAL in wording ! :lol:

At least, ANY woman from the left ( replacing Colmes) provides a more than adequate foil for Hannity, even outshouting him until the next commecial break. Hilarious.I'm curious...when are the ratings ever going to drop? When will the likes of CNN or MSNBC overtake FOX? Why are they so popular if they are so "whacked out?"

It seems to me that the truly "whacked out" ones should be getting the LOWEST viewership, not the highest. Does this mean Olbermann and Madow are the true fringe whackos?

Hell, even NANCY GRACE just about beats Olbermann these days...and that's just sad.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/ratings/

NJ Stinks
04-06-2009, 12:19 AM
I'm curious...when are the ratings ever going to drop? When will the likes of CNN or MSNBC overtake FOX? Why are they so popular if they are so "whacked out?"

It seems to me that the truly "whacked out" ones should be getting the LOWEST viewership, not the highest. Does this mean Olbermann and Madow are the true fringe whackos?

Hell, even NANCY GRACE just about beats Olbermann these days...and that's just sad.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/ratings/

Just a wild guess but I'd say more conservatives watch news shows on weeknights than any other group. I won't venture a guess as to why this is. Personally, since the election I usually watch the national news at 6:30pm and sometimes BBC News America from 7 to 8. Unless my wife wants to watch Jeopardy at 7. :)

I've never watched Madow or Grace. Lately my favorite news show is State of the Union with John King (Sundays on CNN).

cj's dad
04-06-2009, 11:55 AM
Just a wild guess but I'd say more conservatives watch news shows on weeknights than any other group. I won't venture a guess as to why this is. Personally, since the election I usually watch the national news at 6:30pm and sometimes BBC News America from 7 to 8. Unless my wife wants to watch Jeopardy at 7. :)

I've never watched Madow or Grace. Lately my favorite news show is State of the Union with John King (Sundays on CNN).

Take a long hard look at the core of the Democrat party- that may answer your question. Maybe if the news or politically slanted shows were on the WB network, the ratings would go up.

cj's dad
04-06-2009, 12:04 PM
Never seen 'W' btw. The real thing was more than frightening.

Funny thing about Canadians - why care about American politics? I don't get it.
What do you care what happens here?

You know, Canada kind of reminds me of my attic; I know there are things up there that I like, nothing I reaaly need, or it would be in the important part of the house, but it's so damn cold and drafty that I just never want to go up there. :lol:

JustRalph
04-06-2009, 02:46 PM
Funny thing about Canadians - why care about American politics? I don't get it.
What do you care what happens here?

You know, Canada kind of reminds me of my attic; I know there are things up there that I like, nothing I reaaly need, or it would be in the important part of the house, but it's so damn cold and drafty that I just never want to go up there. :lol:

great line about canada :lol: :lol:

NJ Stinks
04-06-2009, 03:49 PM
great line about canada :lol: :lol:

Ugly American

Definition
The Encarta (http://www.answers.com/topic/encarta) dictionary defines "Ugly American" as: stereotypical offensive American: a loud, boorish, nationalistic American, especially one traveling abroad, who is regarded as conforming to a stereotype that gives Americans a bad reputation.[12] (http://www.answers.com/topic/ugly-american#cite_note-11) In contrast, Dictionary.com (http://www.answers.com/topic/reference-com) defines "the Ugly American" as: Pejorative term for Americans traveling or living abroad who remain ignorant of local culture and judge everything by American standards.

__________________________________________________ ______

When the shoe fits....:ThmbDown:

Tom
04-06-2009, 10:24 PM
When he is here in the USA, he ain't ugly.
But those who are not here yet feel compelled to stick their noses in our business......

Do we post crap about your pathetic government?
Show some class, eh?
You don't live here, shut up.