PDA

View Full Version : Arkansas Derby-April 11

Shelby
03-31-2009, 09:35 AM
I hope I put this topic in the correct area.

This will be my first ever live horse race!!! I'm SO excited.

Our simulcast race place closed down a couple of years ago, so I'm kind of out of the loop.

cj's dad
03-31-2009, 09:40 AM
The place will be mobbed. I hope you have a ticket. I went last year for the 2nd time. If you don't have a seat you have to be in line before the gates open (about 2 hours) and then rush to the general admission sales section and get in line there. try to go on Friday to get an idea where to go for tix.

This is all assuming don't have advances seats.

Shelby
03-31-2009, 09:48 AM
I don't have advance tickets. I wonder if I can still get any? Where is the best place to be?

cj's dad
03-31-2009, 09:53 AM
Call them and see. If you can't get them in advance then you have to get there early and wait in line as suggested. Scope out the place on friday if possible.

That's the best advice I can give you. There are others here who have OP as a home track- they would be of more help than I.

Shelby
03-31-2009, 09:58 AM
Thanks for your suggestions, I really appreciate them! I'm going to call the track asap.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I have no idea what I'm doing :D

Shelby
03-31-2009, 10:51 AM
Well, I got tickets for Thursday and Friday. None are available for Saturday :(

cj's dad
03-31-2009, 11:04 AM
Well, I got tickets for Thursday and Friday. None are available for Saturday :(

Well if you still are thinking about going on Saturday try to get there as early as possible before the gates open and as soon as they open head to the "Arkansas Sports Bar".
You can check there Thursday or Friday but I think that they don't take reserved requests for that area ahead of time- 1st come - 1st seated.

It's a good place to sit, eat and drink and you can walk over to the area where you can watch the races live (but not outside) - about 50' away.

Bruddah
03-31-2009, 11:28 AM
Daddy"o has given you the straight scoop and good advice. Also, no shame in saying you don't know about something. The first time I went to the track (Oaklawn) I thought, I had bet $2 on a 52-1 shot. He won and, when I went to the pay window, I found out he paid 5-2. I wondered why the flashing light on the odds board. :D

You will have a great time, if you have seats. Not so great, if you don't. Expect to make your bets early and don't wait until the last minute. I usually made all of my bets before the 1st race and set back and enjoyed the day, of quality racing. These days, 60k folks will not be unusual for the Ar. Derby. 40-50k on Thursday and Friday. (75+K Is the record) In other words a MOB.

For the Future, make reservations for the Carousel Room. It has the best seating and food for the money. When I lived in Hot springs they nick named me the Mayor of the Carousel Room. I was there everyday of the meet for several years, and enjoyed it immensely. This will be only the 3rd Ar. Derby I have missed since 1965 (Dr's orders). Growing old takes some of the fun out of life. :D

Be lucky and have a great day at Oaklawn. I sure of heck have had some great times there, over the years.

Best Regards

Bruddah

Shelby
03-31-2009, 11:29 AM
Thank you so much! I will do exactly that. I don't know why I didn't think about getting tickets sooner.....

cj's dad
03-31-2009, 11:34 AM
Please do not take this personally but not knowing if you are male or female, I will only say that on derby day you will see some truly lovely well dressed, and well fed young ladies, and let it go at that, if you are so interested.

Shelby
03-31-2009, 11:36 AM
Daddy"o has given you the straight scoop and good advice. Also, no shame in saying you don't know about something. The first time I went to the track (Oaklawn) I thought, I had bet $2 on a 52-1 shot. He won and, when I went to the pay window, I found out he paid 5-2. I wondered why the flashing light on the odds board. :D

You will have a great time, if you have seats. Not so great, if you don't. Expect to make your bets early and don't wait until the last minute. I usually made all of my bets before the 1st race and set back and enjoyed the day, of quality racing. These days, 60k folks will not be unusual for the Ar. Derby. 40-50k on Thursday and Friday. (75+K Is the record) In other words a MOB.

For the Future, make reservations for the Carousel Room. It has the best seating and food for the money. When I lived in Hot springs they nick named me the Mayor of the Carousel Room. I was there everyday of the meet for several years, and enjoyed it immensely. This will be only the 3rd Ar. Derby I have missed since 1965 (Dr's orders). Growing old takes some of the fun out of life. :D

Be lucky and have a great day at Oaklawn. I sure of heck have had some great times there, over the years.

Best Regards

Bruddah

LOL! Thanks for all of the advice, I sure need it! I'm used to betting at our dinky OTB place here in Kansas. Good idea about placing all bets in advance. I hate standing in lines. I sure wish you got to go this year! I'd like to be able to say that I "know" the mayor of the Carousel Room lol. We had the chance to go to the Breeder's Cup last year and we couldn't make it, so this is the next best thing in my book.

edited to add:

My husband asked me if your name is RB? I said I didn't know because we all use nick names. He used to go to Oaklawn a lot. He's in the lumber business.

Shelby
03-31-2009, 11:42 AM
Please do not take this personally but not knowing if you are male or female, I will only say that on derby day you will see some truly lovely well dressed, and well fed young ladies, and let it go at that, if you are so interested.

:lol: Well fed??? So there are some big girls there lol?

I'm a female--on the small side.....so I'll watch my step :D

cj's dad
03-31-2009, 11:43 AM
Yes quite big :eek:

WinterTriangle
03-31-2009, 11:56 AM
shelby,

Oaklawn is my home track, and yes, it will be crowded. Last year I think 60,000+ people. But even a regular Sat here brings about 30,000+ people, so I guess I'm used to crowds.

I've had seats and not had seats, but you will need your seats on a weekend like this. I stopped getting seats for regular days because I never sit in them, I'm always flying around. I'm one of those who likes to be close to the paddocks, so I spend most of my time downstairs there, viewing the horses before they run. There are wagering machines close by, then the door that takes you outside to the track. I usually rent a table at the Sports Bar, but don't spend any time in my seat. I just can't watch a race on a TV, I figure I can do that during simulcasting season. Live races for me must be LIVE!!!!! So, I keep running down the stairs to get outside to watch.

It will be too crowded on SAT to run around. It would be more like snaking thru thousands of bodies. So seats will make your day rmore bearable but you'll be fine without them (sounds like you have no choice!) and you might be able to get a table at the Sports Bar if you get there early.

Outside, in front of the track, there are cement "bleachers", in about 4-5 areas.... you will always find a places to sit down, albeit, not very comfortable.

I don't know how old you are but if you can take a busy day and big crowds, you will be fine. I've sort of gotten to the point where I can't take it.

Here's the seating diagram:
http://www.oaklawn.com/Plan_Your_Visit/Seating

make sure you have a corned beef sandwich. They are the best anywhere, Oaklawn is famous for them.

And yes, place your wagers before the day starts or well before the race. The lines to wager will be 35-50 deep, easily.

Shelby
03-31-2009, 12:00 PM
shelby,

Oaklawn is my home track, and yes, it will be crowded. Last year I think 60,000+ people. But even a regular Sat here brings about 30,000+ people, so I guess I'm used to crowds.

I've had seats and not had seats, but you will need your seats on a weekend like this. I stopped getting seats for regular days because I never sit in them, I'm always flying around. I'm one of those who likes to be close to the paddocks, so I spend most of my time downstairs there, viewing the horses before they run. There are wagering machines close by, then the door that takes you outside to the track. I usually rent a table at the Sports Bar, but don't spend any time in my seat. I just can't watch a race on a TV, I figure I can do that during simulcasting season. Live races for me must be LIVE!!!!! So, I keep running down the stairs to get outside to watch.

It will be too crowded on SAT to run around. It would be more like snaking thru thousands of bodies. So seats will make your day rmore bearable but you'll be fine without them (sounds like you have no choice!) and you might be able to get a table at the Sports Bar if you get there early.

Outside, in front of the track, there are cement "bleachers", in about 4-5 areas.... you will always find a places to sit down, albeit, not very comfortable.

I don't know how old you are but if you can take a busy day and big crowds, you will be fine. I've sort of gotten to the point where I can't take it.

Here's the seating diagram:
http://www.oaklawn.com/Plan_Your_Visit/Seating

make sure you have a corned beef sandwich. They are the best anywhere, Oaklawn is famous for them.

And yes, place your wagers before the day starts or well before the race. The lines to wager will be 35-50 deep, easily.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate all of your advice!! I should have posted earlier--I don't know why I didn't think about this site. I lurk here quite often.

I'm 34...but I'm not used to big crowds, so this will be different for me. My husband hasn't been there in years so I don't think it was near that busy when he went.

Since it's my first live race I for sure want to see it in person so I'll have to push and shove my way through. I'm glad to at least have seats for Thurs and Fri. With some luck, maybe I'll get a table at that sports bar on Saturday.....maybe I should sleep at the track Friday night lol.

Shelby
03-31-2009, 12:12 PM
Ok my seats are in M one day and S on the other.

Toss_DeLoser
03-31-2009, 01:15 PM
If it's nice weather, the infield will be open.

Bet early.

Shelby
03-31-2009, 01:19 PM
I can't wait to see the entries so I can start studying up. Like I said earlier, I'm way out of the loop.

Bruddah
03-31-2009, 05:50 PM
LOL! Thanks for all of the advice, I sure need it! I'm used to betting at our dinky OTB place here in Kansas. Good idea about placing all bets in advance. I hate standing in lines. I sure wish you got to go this year! I'd like to be able to say that I "know" the mayor of the Carousel Room lol. We had the chance to go to the Breeder's Cup last year and we couldn't make it, so this is the next best thing in my book.

edited to add:

My husband asked me if your name is RB? I said I didn't know because we all use nick names. He used to go to Oaklawn a lot. He's in the lumber business.

I lived in the KC area during the early 90's. I went to the Woodlands every wekend.

I am not the initials your husband asked about. But, I am sure we must have at least bumped into each other at the windows. I may have to tell the Doctor to go to He!!, I can't STANDS IT NO MORE! :D I can't get him ( the Doctor) to understand it's harder on my old ticker not being there. The stairs, long lines, Corned Beef, beer and yelling for my horses have got to be good for the heart. :D Certainly he learned this in medical school. :rolleyes:

Bruddah
03-31-2009, 06:00 PM
I can't wait to see the entries so I can start studying up. Like I said earlier, I'm way out of the loop.

Shelby, I don't want to rain on your parade, but, you're going to be one tired puppy after this weekend. A lot of fun and ambiance but a very tiring weekend.

Old Daddy'O has it right about the beautiful and bountiful young ladies. We use to say that Spring was bustin' out all over. Another thing or two which is good for an old man's ticker. Damn Doctor must be crazy! :lol:

Shelby
03-31-2009, 06:54 PM
Lol Bruddah! I have a feeling you and I would get along famously :) You need to have a "gopher" to make your bets and bring you food--that was you don't wear yourself out!

The guy my husband knows/knew is/was named R. B. Shopstoff (sp). I guess he had a restaurant somewhere around Hot Springs, too.....

Anyway, yeah, you're right. I will be a tired little girl after this....but I can't wait!

Shelby
03-31-2009, 06:55 PM
Oh, and my husband lived in the Wichita area, so I'm betting you did see each other!

cj's dad
03-31-2009, 06:58 PM
If you like German food or just good food in general there is a german restaurant in the old part of town that is excellent - forgot the name but if Bill W is moderating he may know the name.

Shelby
03-31-2009, 07:00 PM
Is it the Hot Springs Brau Haus? I ran across that when looking up restaurants.....it sounded interesting.

cj's dad
03-31-2009, 07:03 PM
Is it the Hot Springs Brau Haus? I ran across that when looking up restaurants.....it sounded interesting.

Yes thats it - enjoy - there are seats outside if a nice day and the food is good and reasonable and of course the German beer if you or your hubby like that !!

Shelby
03-31-2009, 07:18 PM
Oh, how great would it be to sit outside and enjoy a great evening. It just snowed 18" here in Kansas :rolleyes:

I know I'm talking ya'll ears off....I'm just so dang excited that I can't shut up lol.

Pace Cap'n
03-31-2009, 09:57 PM
You are going to have a thrilling visit for sure, seats or no seats. Just asking around on Th. & Fr. might be productive.

After the first race on Sat., flash a twenty to one of the ushers and ask if he has any seats open.

In the center of downtown is a public hot spring. Folks come from far and wide for the free water. Take as many containers as you have room for...it's the best tasting water ever...when it cools down.

Bruddah
03-31-2009, 10:41 PM
I can't tell you how much I appreciate all of your advice!! I should have posted earlier--I don't know why I didn't think about this site. I lurk here quite often.

I'm 34...but I'm not used to big crowds, so this will be different for me. My husband hasn't been there in years so I don't think it was near that busy when he went.

Since it's my first live race I for sure want to see it in person so I'll have to push and shove my way through. I'm glad to at least have seats for Thurs and Fri. With some luck, maybe I'll get a table at that sports bar on Saturday.....maybe I should sleep at the track Friday night lol.

There are many things you should do and see at Oaklawn. These are just a few "must do's". I'm sure, I failed to list many others, so, if Daddy'O and Winter Triangle want to add to the list. feel free.

1. You must watch a live race(s) from the Track's apron (edge). Nothing like the thundering hooves, with your money riding on the winner.

2. You must have a corned beef or roast beef sandwich. They are delicious. Unfortunately, they were way better years ago. (a Nebraska vendor then)

3. Visit the Carousel restaurant. Ask when and how to make reservations for another year, should you want to return.

4. Visit the paddock area and watch the horses being saddled. This stilll gives me a thrill after 40+ years.

winningponies
04-01-2009, 02:18 AM

Definitely take a hard look at Win Willy (winner of the Rebel Stakes); may get a good price too..

WinterTriangle
04-01-2009, 04:21 AM
In the center of downtown is a public hot spring. Folks come from far and wide for the free water. Take as many containers as you have room for...it's the best tasting water ever...when it cools down.

Pace, on the side street, as you go up the mountain from the Arlington Hotel there's another public spiggot site. The water comes out cold there. I take those camping 7 gallon water haulers. It is so delicious!

Non-track stuff: The german restaurant Brau Haus is very good. If you want fine dining, Italian food, Bella Arti on 719 Central is fabulous (bruschetta! or hand-cut Filet Mignon w/gorgonzola cream sauce & shrimp). Or next door if you like steaks, Porterhouse at 707 Central Ave (where else can you get baby New Zealand lamb chops or lobster mashed potatoes?) Both of these restaurants a bit pricey. If you want to dine on the water, Fisherman's Wharf, though touristy....but you can feed the ducks and the catfish who come to the surface for treats. :) Cajun Broiler is great for cajun food.

If you're into some rowdyness, there's a biker bar across from the track, I stopped in a few years ago with friends at around midnight, :eek: and there was everyone from grandmothers to 20-somethings in there.....(my friends and I are 50-ish). I danced my butt off. I think it's called Longshots or something, typical crazy racetrack dive bar, who cares,:blush: it was fun, fun fun.... good DJ, too.

Have drinks out on the veranda at Arlington Hotel if the weather is nice and people-watch.

kroebuck67
04-01-2009, 06:37 AM
If you're driving to the track, you'll need to head that way by at least 10:00 a.m. for a reasonably priced parking spot, and wait an hour for the gates to open at 11. OP has a pitifully small parking lot, and all the freelance park lots within a decent walking distance will be charging $25-$30 to park on Derby day.

kroebuck67
04-01-2009, 06:41 AM
Oh, and Smiley's Crab Shack is a fun place to go on Friday night!

cj's dad
04-01-2009, 07:42 AM
There is also a topless karaoke bar on Central Ave (?), and if you go to Longshots across from the track on karaoke night be prepared to hear
"you don't have to call me darlin, daaaarlin" sung 100 times.:bang:

Bruddah
04-01-2009, 08:01 AM
There is also a topless karaoke bar on Central Ave (?), and if you go to Longshots across from the track on karaoke night be prepared to hear
"you don't have to call me darlin, daaaarlin" sung 100 times.:bang:

Daddy"O you are going to have to stop dragging up my memories of days gone by. :( The drunker the crowd got, the more that song was sung. Of course, I just heard it as I drove by. ;) and all those healthy young gals like to dance with us older refined gentleman. So I have heard others say! :eek:

If I thought, I would come back alive and not in a pine box, I would be Oaklawn bound. I think, I would at least have a big grin on my face. :)

Topless bar you say, now how did I miss that. All those years in Hot Springs?? Just fooling around. :D I would like to get some of my money back. You know sort of a "stimulus" refund. :lol:

cj's dad
04-01-2009, 08:03 AM
Daddy"O you are going to have to stop dragging up my memories of days gone by. :( The drunker the crowd got, the more that song was sung. Of course, I just heard it as I drove by. ;) and all those healthy young gals like to dance with us older refined gentleman. So I have heard others say! :eek:

If I thought, I would come back alive and not in a pine box, I would be Oaklawn bound. I think, I would at least have a big grin on my face. :)

I'm actually checking air fare for the weekend. Too much nostalgia for one guy.

Bill W. , you listening.

Shelby
04-01-2009, 12:23 PM
You are going to have a thrilling visit for sure, seats or no seats. Just asking around on Th. & Fr. might be productive.

After the first race on Sat., flash a twenty to one of the ushers and ask if he has any seats open.

I will do! I was wondering if people ever gave up their seats or "sold" them to other people........

I've never tasted hot springs water..........I might turn into a whole new girl if I do lol!

Shelby
04-01-2009, 12:25 PM
There are many things you should do and see at Oaklawn. These are just a few "must do's". I'm sure, I failed to list many others, so, if Daddy'O and Winter Triangle want to add to the list. feel free.

1. You must watch a live race(s) from the Track's apron (edge). Nothing like the thundering hooves, with your money riding on the winner.

2. You must have a corned beef or roast beef sandwich. They are delicious. Unfortunately, they were way better years ago. (a Nebraska vendor then)

3. Visit the Carousel restaurant. Ask when and how to make reservations for another year, should you want to return.

4. Visit the paddock area and watch the horses being saddled. This stilll gives me a thrill after 40+ years.

I've already made a note to try the corned beef. I can't WAIT to see/hear the horses in person. Do I have to have a special pass to see the paddock area? Is the Carousel Restaurant hard to get in to?

Shelby
04-01-2009, 12:26 PM
Definitely take a hard look at Win Willy (winner of the Rebel Stakes); may get a good price too..

Thank you!

Shelby
04-01-2009, 12:30 PM
Pace, on the side street, as you go up the mountain from the Arlington Hotel there's another public spiggot site. The water comes out cold there. I take those camping 7 gallon water haulers. It is so delicious!

Non-track stuff: The german restaurant Brau Haus is very good. If you want fine dining, Italian food, Bella Arti on 719 Central is fabulous (bruschetta! or hand-cut Filet Mignon w/gorgonzola cream sauce & shrimp). Or next door if you like steaks, Porterhouse at 707 Central Ave (where else can you get baby New Zealand lamb chops or lobster mashed potatoes?) Both of these restaurants a bit pricey. If you want to dine on the water, Fisherman's Wharf, though touristy....but you can feed the ducks and the catfish who come to the surface for treats. :) Cajun Broiler is great for cajun food.

If you're into some rowdyness, there's a biker bar across from the track, I stopped in a few years ago with friends at around midnight, :eek: and there was everyone from grandmothers to 20-somethings in there.....(my friends and I are 50-ish). I danced my butt off. I think it's called Longshots or something, typical crazy racetrack dive bar, who cares,:blush: it was fun, fun fun.... good DJ, too.

Have drinks out on the veranda at Arlington Hotel if the weather is nice and people-watch.

I've made notes of all of your suggestions and I'm SO grateful! My husband was telling me about that bar....I guess it's been there for years lol it sounds like a blast!

Shelby
04-01-2009, 12:32 PM
If you're driving to the track, you'll need to head that way by at least 10:00 a.m. for a reasonably priced parking spot, and wait an hour for the gates to open at 11. OP has a pitifully small parking lot, and all the freelance park lots within a decent walking distance will be charging $25-$30 to park on Derby day.

We were thinking about taking a taxi to and from the hotel......but maybe that's a bad idea?

Shelby
04-01-2009, 12:34 PM
"you don't have to call me darlin, daaaarlin" sung 100 times.:bang: :lol::lol::lol:

I have to say I've never heard of topless karaoke :lol:

Shelby
04-01-2009, 12:38 PM

Topless bar you say, now how did I miss that. All those years in Hot Springs?? Just fooling around. :D I would like to get some of my money back. You know sort of a "stimulus" refund. :lol:

Well, I am bringing my laptop to the hotel so if I have wireless access, I'll give you updates.....not the same as being there, I know.......

I see all of this discussion has inspired at least one to check on flights!!!

joanied
04-01-2009, 01:08 PM
Shelby...
I have nothing to add, the guys did great:ThmbUp: helping you out...I just wanted to say I love how enthusiastic you are...getting excited :jump: about the races is what it's all about...
you can post a 'blow by blow' after Saturday...and may I wish you best of luck with your bets and getting yourself into 'good postition' to see the races:)

Shelby
04-01-2009, 01:13 PM
Shelby...
I have nothing to add, the guys did great:ThmbUp: helping you out...I just wanted to say I love how enthusiastic you are...getting excited :jump: about the races is what it's all about...
you can post a 'blow by blow' after Saturday...and may I wish you best of luck with your bets and getting yourself into 'good postition' to see the races:)

Oh gosh thank you Joanie! I lurk here a lot.....rarely post because everyone is so much more knowledgeable than I. I hope I haven't annoyed anyone with my questions and I sure hope we can continue this discussion until I get home from the track!

I don't know what I'd do if I actually lived NEAR a real live track. I'd live there I'm sure!

joanied
04-01-2009, 03:04 PM
Oh gosh thank you Joanie! I lurk here a lot.....rarely post because everyone is so much more knowledgeable than I. I hope I haven't annoyed anyone with my questions and I sure hope we can continue this discussion until I get home from the track!

I don't know what I'd do if I actually lived NEAR a real live track. I'd live there I'm sure!

Your welcome, Shelby:) I don't think you have anything to worry about because you may not be as 'knowedgeable' as most everyone here...I'm not exactly an 'Einstein' around here either:p ...other than the handicapping/numbers stuff, all you really need is that love and excitment for the game...and lots of opinions:) ...they make this world go 'round... so tighten your girth, grab the reins and run with it:jump:

Oh...at least you live near an OTB...around here, most folks don't know what a Thoroughbred is, let alone be a race fan...how'd I end up in Wyoming:confused: :bang: anyway??

kroebuck67
04-01-2009, 03:08 PM
A taxi would not be a bad idea, but remember that many other people will be doing the same and the taxi services will be swamped, so still plan to give them a call well before 11 a.m.

The paddock area is open to the public (it's actually inside the grandstand), but if you want to be able to see the horses being saddled for one race, you'll need to be standing at the paddock rail by the end of the preceding race (unless you're over 6'5" or so).

Here's a big tip for finding winners at Oaklawn: find "Bob's New TV", hang around that area, keep your ears open and your mouth shut (that's where the horse people loiter). :)

Shelby
04-01-2009, 07:34 PM
I am now on a Bob's TV mission :jump:

Bruddah
04-02-2009, 01:47 AM
I've already made a note to try the corned beef. I can't WAIT to see/hear the horses in person. Do I have to have a special pass to see the paddock area? Is the Carousel Restaurant hard to get in to?

The elevator to the Carousel is a short distance from the Paddock. No pass needed. They recently finished remodeling that area for Casino games, therefore, I am really unsure of how things are layed out now. The Key to going upstairs to the Carousel will be to go early. The ladies at the desk in the restaraunt can answer all your questions. You can then go down stairs again to the paddock.

The key to betting, seeing sites or eating is to do all you can EARLY! Then get in your seats and enjoy the day of racing. It really makes the day much more fun than fighting the crowd (especially Derby day) Also highly recommended is to take a cab to and from. The traffic on Central Ave, will be UNBELIEVABLE! Again, call for a cab early, in order to be at the opening of the gates At 11:00 a.m.

Your anticipation and enthusiasm makes my not being there tolerable. My wish for you and your husband is to have a safe, fun and very prosperous trip.

Bruddah

Shelby
04-02-2009, 11:07 AM
Thank you so much Bruddah, your help has and will make our trip fabulous! Like I said, I'm bringing my laptop, so I'll be here checking in.

Bettowin
04-05-2009, 12:31 AM
Wow, I finally got my registration approved and have been wanting to post on this thread so here goes.

I experienced my first trip to Oaklawn last year and went back for the Arkansas Derby. Was warned about the huge crowd but found out like in real estate it's all about location. Even with a huge crowd on Derby day I found mutuel lines to be short on the 2nd floor portion right behind the finish line. The key is not to try and bet with under 5 minutes to go. Or use the self serve machines if you are up against post time. Parking is a bitch if you don't get there 2 hours ahead of time so go early and it's best coming in from the north. Coming from the south on to central is not the way to go. I am staying at the Embassy Suites and will be taking the shuttle to and from on Derby day.

Watching morning workouts is a must for someone who hasn't been to Oaklawn. Just drive into the entrance for owners and trainers and tell them you are there for the workouts. Except on Derby day.

I have been able to get great boxes every day at Oaklawn except for Derby day by going to morning workouts and waiting just outside the door (trackside) next to the ticket windows. When they open the doors for the people waiting on the street side I wander into the front of the line and presto!

Overall, I have never been to a more fan friendly track than Oaklawn.

Shelby, if you don't want to say which hotel you are at that's fine but is it on Central? If it is way south near the lake it will take you a very long time to creep up the road on Saturday even in a shuttle or limo. I was at Oaklawn the year for the Rebel and found some easy routes to the track from the west that would come in handy if I were driving in from the south on Derby day. BTW, we are from Wichita and if I remember right your husband is from here also. We will be at Oaklawn from Thurs to Saturday so maybe we will run into each other.

Shelby
04-05-2009, 08:35 PM
Wow, I finally got my registration approved and have been wanting to post on this thread so here goes.

I experienced my first trip to Oaklawn last year and went back for the Arkansas Derby. Was warned about the huge crowd but found out like in real estate it's all about location. Even with a huge crowd on Derby day I found mutuel lines to be short on the 2nd floor portion right behind the finish line. The key is not to try and bet with under 5 minutes to go. Or use the self serve machines if you are up against post time. Parking is a bitch if you don't get there 2 hours ahead of time so go early and it's best coming in from the north. Coming from the south on to central is not the way to go. I am staying at the Embassy Suites and will be taking the shuttle to and from on Derby day.

Watching morning workouts is a must for someone who hasn't been to Oaklawn. Just drive into the entrance for owners and trainers and tell them you are there for the workouts. Except on Derby day.

I have been able to get great boxes every day at Oaklawn except for Derby day by going to morning workouts and waiting just outside the door (trackside) next to the ticket windows. When they open the doors for the people waiting on the street side I wander into the front of the line and presto!

Overall, I have never been to a more fan friendly track than Oaklawn.

Shelby, if you don't want to say which hotel you are at that's fine but is it on Central? If it is way south near the lake it will take you a very long time to creep up the road on Saturday even in a shuttle or limo. I was at Oaklawn the year for the Rebel and found some easy routes to the track from the west that would come in handy if I were driving in from the south on Derby day. BTW, we are from Wichita and if I remember right your husband is from here also. We will be at Oaklawn from Thurs to Saturday so maybe we will run into each other.

Oh wow!! I'm so glad you registered and I am so thankful for your advice!

We are staying at the Arlington. I almost picked the Embassy Suites...and I may be sorry that I didn't.

I lived in Valley Center, KS for a while and also in Wichita. I hope we can run into each other!

Bettowin
04-05-2009, 09:00 PM
Oh wow!! I'm so glad you registered and I am so thankful for your advice!

We are staying at the Arlington. I almost picked the Embassy Suites...and I may be sorry that I didn't.

I lived in Valley Center, KS for a while and also in Wichita. I hope we can run into each other!

I'll more than likely be at the rail Friday morning taking photos of the workouts. Probably be wearing a WSU pullover so if you see me say hi.

Shelby
04-05-2009, 09:39 PM
I'll more than likely be at the rail Friday morning taking photos of the workouts. Probably be wearing a WSU pullover so if you see me say hi.

I will look for you!!! How exciting!!

Shelby
04-08-2009, 08:52 PM
I just wanted to thank each and every one of you again for talking to me and giving me advice. It means the world! We're leaving early in the morning. I don't think I'll be able to sleep I'm so excited!!

Miss Disco
04-09-2009, 06:59 AM
What luck, I have be working in AR this week and I will be able to spend the afternoon today-Thursday) at the track AND I procured a room at the Atlington!
I fly out tomorrow, but I will enjoy my one day!

Alyblakester
04-09-2009, 07:17 AM
I couldn't believe how long the mutuel lines were at Oaklawn. For my first race there I headed to make my wagers 3 minutes before post; that was way too late! You need to get in the mutuel lines with tellers approx. 10 minutes before post to have any chance on a weekend, otherwise learn to use the self service machines. For some reason their crowds stay away from those. I avoided live tellers for most of the day after that......My Derby pick? dunno yet but Old Fashioned will get beat again and run 2nd - that's my feeling right now.

santanajimi
04-09-2009, 08:26 AM
For GREAT barbque...go to McClards in Hot Springs....it has been around for like 80 years, and has old horse pictures all over the place...To me, it is better than blowing up your money on those high dollar rip off joints....only about 8 minutes from the track.
You will be happy you went. ;)

Watcher
04-09-2009, 02:06 PM
Oaklawn Park - April 11th, 2009 - Race 11
Arkansas Derby - Grade: 2
Estimated Local Post Time: 5:41 PM
Race Type: Stakes
Breed: Thoroughbred
Age Restriction: Three Year Old
Purse: $1,000,000
Distance: One And One Eighth Miles
Surface: Dirt

Post Horse Name Age Sex Weight Jockey Name
1 Captain Cherokee (KY) 3 Colt 118 Aaron T. Gryder
2 Papa Clem (KY) 3 Colt 118 Rafael Bejarano
3 Flat Out (FL) 3 Colt 122 Julio A. Garcia
4 Poltergeist (TX) 3 Colt 118 Quincy Hamilton
5 Ziegfeld (VA) 3 Colt 118 Jon Kenton Court
6 Flying Private (KY) 3 Colt 118 Israel Ocampo
7 Summer Bird (KY) 3 Colt 118 Chris R. Rosier
8 Old Fashioned (KY) 3 Colt 122 Terry J. Thompson
9 Win Willy (KY) 3 Colt 122 M. Clifton Berry
10 Danger to Society (KY) 3 Colt 118 Cornelio H. Velasquez

Toss_DeLoser
04-10-2009, 08:29 AM
Guessing 55,000 at Oaklawn for Saturday.

http://image.weather.com/web/common/wxicons/52/30.gif?12122006
Partly CloudyHigh
69°F

Precip
10%
Wind:ENE 9 mphMax. Humidity:51%UV Index:8 Very High

Bruddah
04-10-2009, 02:20 PM

http://image.weather.com/web/common/wxicons/52/30.gif?12122006
Partly CloudyHigh
69°F

Precip
10%
Wind:ENE 9 mphMax. Humidity:51%UV Index:8 Very High

Good guess. I am going with 60k plus. Either way, it's going to be packed. At least, I can watch the Arky Derby on ESPN tomorrow. ssshhhhhh! don't tell my Dr.. He may sh!T a brick. lol!

Bruddah
04-10-2009, 02:26 PM
I forgot to post my Arky Derby pick. Betting $100 win-plc on #3...Flat Out...I hope he lives up to his name. :ThmbUp:

joanied
04-10-2009, 02:34 PM
Well, there doesn't seem to be an AK Derby thread for picks...so guess this is as good a place as any...

Bruddah...glad you posted about watching it on ESPN...I didn't realize they'll have it...I hate ESPN (let's hope it won't start late because of some bowling or bochi-ball:faint: )....but it's in High Def:) ...and I won't tell your doc;)

It sure looks like a way better race than the Blue Grass is gonna be...and this one may hold the Derby winner (I'm still ontop of FF, but love OF)...
for better or worse:

1-Old Fashioned
2-Win Willy (this one's kinda a mystery)
3-Flying Private (never can count out Lukas, and this colt has a stellar pedigree)
4-Papa Clem

Hope OF wins and they all come back safe & sound...I can't wait!!
:jump:

Bignick63
04-10-2009, 06:07 PM
In trying to read how this race will be run it seems to me that Old Fashioned will be shoulder to shoulder with Papa Clem in the early going. Therefore trying to get 1 1/8 miles for each of them won't be easy.

Danger to Society has a lot of potential and has already won at this distance. He comes in off a layoff and could be the horse to pick up the pieces if the top two falter.

Win Willy and Flying Private will be finishing very strongly. However can Win Willy improve off his last going longer?
-Nick
www.nickborg.com (http://www.nickborg.com)

joanied
04-10-2009, 08:10 PM
Actually, I don't like Win Willy...but that last one was pretty nice, and unless it was his one big race...I do think he'll be right there....I'd like to see Flying Private out run him.

Good luck to all:jump:

Bruddah
04-10-2009, 08:34 PM
I see Old Fashioned and Papa Clem on the leed until 1 mile, run in approx. 1:38.2. They will begin to falter with #10 Danger to Society leeding to about 1m 1/16th. Then #3 Flat Out and #9 Win willy will battle to the finish line.

I went with Flat Out because he will be a better price and should he win, will key a 3-9 or 3-10 exacta. I usually don't bet exactas, but I am putting a $20 exacta box on 3-9-10.

For what it's worth, this is how I see the race shaping up. I probably won't even be close, but it's fun to visualize and dream of it unfolding as your minds eye sees it. :lol: :D

Good Luck to all. Tomorrow at Oaklawn and Keeneland should help elminate pretenders wanting to go to Louisville.

GaryG
04-10-2009, 08:46 PM
I see Old Fashioned getting a softer trip on the lead this time.....expect him to wire them.

W2G
04-10-2009, 09:18 PM
Old Fashioned battles Papa Clem into submission but grows leg weary again in the stretch. It's Flying Private who runs by him this time and gives Lukas a rapidly improving Derby starter. Win Willy closes very well for third after an eventful trip and, despite his trainer's earlier remarks about needing to finish at least second, moves on to Louisville.

strapper
04-11-2009, 09:59 AM
I'm siding with Flying Private today in Hot Springs. Lukas goes back to the Derby!

sally
04-11-2009, 10:23 AM
expect the unexpected!

Papa Clem

:cool:

sally
04-11-2009, 06:52 PM
Yoohoo!!

finally got one! :jump:

HuskyDomains
04-11-2009, 06:56 PM
Yoohoo!!

finally got one! :jump:

Nice hit :)

I wish I had faith in Papa Clem.... I had a $10 TRI

8 / 2 / 6 7 10

Marshall Bennett
04-11-2009, 07:10 PM
I see Old Fashioned getting a softer trip on the lead this time.....expect him to wire them.
Would have been a nice call at a mile . He'll really hit a brick wall at a mile and a quarter .

westny
04-11-2009, 07:13 PM
Interesting KY Derby coming up .

Friesian Fire beat Papa Clem by 7/8 lengths in the LA Derby. OF gets beat on the lead by Papa Clem today in ARK DBY.
Maybe Dominquez didn't give OF a bad ride in his last race. Berejano, though is a good judge of pace. I like FF more after today's race. Maybe it wasn't just the slop.

Relwob Owner
04-11-2009, 07:17 PM
Interesting KY Derby coming up .

Friesian Fire beat Papa Clem by 7/8 lengths in the LA Derby. OF gets beat on the lead by Papa Clem today in ARK DBY.
Maybe Dominquez didn't give OF a bad ride in his last race. Berejano, though is a good judge of pace. I like FF more after today's race. Maybe it wasn't just the slop.

Looking at the head to heads so far is interesting...POTN and Papa Clem both beat IWR(on Poly)....also Theregoesjojo didnt exactly flatter QR or Dunkirk with how he ran in the Blue Grass today

westny
04-11-2009, 07:50 PM
Looking at the head to heads so far is interesting...POTN and Papa Clem both beat IWR(on Poly)....also Theregoesjojo didnt exactly flatter QR or Dunkirk with how he ran in the Blue Grass today

I'm not a McPeek fan...therefore I "don't like Theregoesjojo...fairly or unfairly.
I think IWR is a real contender. His Wood race was very nice, but he could pull an "EM" and lose.
QR and his foot, and his competition as you stated...I don't know how good he is. I gotta study who can get the distance with a good turn of foot.

I always think of Giacomo and that HOF ride by Mike Smith...slow or not...they wove through traffic jams the whole stretch and won...

Not a great clip...I've seen a clear head-on somwhere and you can see Giacomo's progress.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DIj70vlH58&feature=related

oddsmaven
04-11-2009, 08:37 PM
Looking at the head to heads so far is interesting...POTN and Papa Clem both beat IWR(on Poly
Even if they had done that on dirt, you're not giving any attention to the likelihood that IWR's form cycle must have improved and that he came to hand since then.

Cat Thief
04-11-2009, 09:27 PM
Old Fashioned coming 2nd not good enough. Guess the ones that said he can't get the distance are right so I feel bad as I really liked that lovely horse. (I do like Papa Clem too ) but I had OF picked for 2nd after Friesan Fire, not to be I am sure.

Relwob Owner
04-11-2009, 09:45 PM
Even if they had done that on dirt, you're not giving any attention to the likelihood that IWR's form cycle must have improved and that he came to hand since then.

Understood but who knows if POTN can experience the same improvement when he hits regular dirt? Also, IWR beat absolutely nothing in the Wood....I just have a feeling that a combination of an inexperienced jock(I did think he rode great in the Wood), a bounce off the Wood and work from the Racing Gods will leave I Want Revenge off the board in the Derby....

Tampa Russ
04-11-2009, 09:55 PM
Old Fashioned coming 2nd not good enough. Guess the ones that said he can't get the distance are right so I feel bad as I really liked that lovely horse. (I do like Papa Clem too ) but I had OF picked for 2nd after Friesan Fire, not to be I am sure.

Slab fracture. No Ky Derby for him.

Bettowin
04-11-2009, 10:22 PM
Just got back from dinner and am finally able to post from the hotel business center.

I was at Oaklawn today and really thought the Birdstone horse looked very good pre-race and had the most chance of moving foward like Win Willy did in the Rebel. I wheeled him up and down in the gimmicks and was rooting for him to at least get 2nd. If it were 1 1/4 he wins by daylight but I'll take the trifecta twice and super once:)

Damn if only. How many times do we say that in this silly game?

PS - Even though there were 55K+ I had no trouble betting or getting food or drinks. Got tickets to the upper level and the lines were fairly short and most of all the people in line knew how to bet quickly.

Can't wait till next year.

WinterTriangle
04-12-2009, 01:29 AM
Glad you got to experience Oaklawn, BTW. :) usually about 60K people, I expected 70K...didn't get an updated figure from Oaklawn yet.

Congratulations to LRL Racing on his filly, Payton D'Oro winning the Instant Racing Stakes brilliantly by 4 3/4 lengths!!!!! She's 7-3-2-0 now. :) (You might remember he was posting about her right here on this forum way back in 2008 when she was just a 2yo filly making her very first start at Delaware....it's so exciting watching how far this filly has come! )

Old Fashioned ran an amazing race, considering they found that injury. No slur on Papa Clem, who I like very much. OF is a brilliant horse, I wish him the best of luck with his surgery and healing. I'm sure he'll enjoy a turn out to Kentucky

plainolebill
04-12-2009, 04:04 AM
Old Fashioned did run heck of a race, too bad he is all throttle and no brakes.
I wish him and his connections the best.

tucker6
04-12-2009, 05:28 AM
Understood but who knows if POTN can experience the same improvement when he hits regular dirt? Also, IWR beat absolutely nothing in the Wood....I just have a feeling that a combination of an inexperienced jock(I did think he rode great in the Wood), a bounce off the Wood and work from the Racing Gods will leave I Want Revenge off the board in the Derby....
Not saying you are incorrect here and no disrespect intended to you, but using "bounce" as a reason why a horse will not perform the next race is overplayed, IMHO. One can make that a self fulfilling prophecy if one looks at the numbers hard enough to find it, even if it's not really there. I have seen both humans and animals attain a greater performance after a great performance, and have seen "bouncing" as well. I just think people use bouncing as a way of justifying a horse they don't like.

Just my 0.02.

Relwob Owner
04-12-2009, 08:12 AM
Not saying you are incorrect here and no disrespect intended to you, but using "bounce" as a reason why a horse will not perform the next race is overplayed, IMHO. One can make that a self fulfilling prophecy if one looks at the numbers hard enough to find it, even if it's not really there. I have seen both humans and animals attain a greater performance after a great performance, and have seen "bouncing" as well. I just think people use bouncing as a way of justifying a horse they don't like.

Just my 0.02.

First of all, the way you write your posts is pretty cool----seems like many who disagree(I have done this) write posts that attack those they diasagree with and you dont and I think that leads to better discussion(IMHO)....I hear you abt using the bounce to justify in general....with IWR, I think it could happen just because he had to use more gas from his tank because of his trip in the Wood.....I also may be letting his connections get in my head as well.....after yesterday, though, it looks like we are going to have many to consider in the Derby....we will see!

tucker6
04-12-2009, 11:21 AM
First of all, the way you write your posts is pretty cool----seems like many who disagree(I have done this) write posts that attack those they diasagree with and you dont and I think that leads to better discussion(IMHO)....I hear you abt using the bounce to justify in general....with IWR, I think it could happen just because he had to use more gas from his tank because of his trip in the Wood.....I also may be letting his connections get in my head as well.....after yesterday, though, it looks like we are going to have many to consider in the Derby....we will see!
Thanks for the compliment. Trust me, I can have lapses in writing judgement from time to time. I end up more embarrassed than the receiver is angry. However, I have several interests besides horses, and in one of them, a person who I admire greatly is well respected for having the ability to engage in a conversation without poking a finger into someone's chest.

Anyway, I am looking forward to this TC season more than any in many years. Two years ago had several good colts, but this year, I could see any of five taking the Derby, and those are all of high quality. There's depth this year, and that is distinctly different than last year, where a case could be made that there were no horses of distinction. I agree that IWR is due for a bad day, but I hope not. I like his style.

Tom

Relwob Owner
04-12-2009, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the compliment. Trust me, I can have lapses in writing judgement from time to time. I end up more embarrassed than the receiver is angry. However, I have several interests besides horses, and in one of them, a person who I admire greatly is well respected for having the ability to engage in a conversation without poking a finger into someone's chest.

Anyway, I am looking forward to this TC season more than any in many years. Two years ago had several good colts, but this year, I could see any of five taking the Derby, and those are all of high quality. There's depth this year, and that is distinctly different than last year, where a case could be made that there were no horses of distinction. I agree that IWR is due for a bad day, but I hope not. I like his style.

Tom

Tom,

Without a doubt....I think the results from yesterday will help you get a better price on IWR in the Derby. I will bet against IWR, but at least if he beats me, I will know that you won some dough!

tucker6
04-12-2009, 12:13 PM
Tom,

Without a doubt....I think the results from yesterday will help you get a better price on IWR in the Derby. I will bet against IWR, but at least if he beats me, I will know that you won some dough!
You just reminded me of my greatest betting defeat. I bet a friend a $100 that Risen Star would win the TC. Got 10:1 odds. $100 meant a lot to me back then, so I was mighty upset that the KD did not go his way. In retrospect, it was a stupid bet on my part, as I had no outs. He should have been the 14th winner though, but that's all woulda, coulda, shoulda. Even sure things don't pan out. :(

PS: I was at Pimlico that year. My best betting day ever. Picked the winner in six races that day. Too bad I didn't realize that I was on top of the mountain bettor-wise and that all the elevators were going down in my betting career.

FantasticDan
04-12-2009, 01:56 PM
I was at Oaklawn today and really thought the Birdstone horse looked very good pre-race and had the most chance of moving foward like Win Willy did in the Rebel. I wheeled him up and down in the gimmicks and was rooting for him to at least get 2nd. If it were 1 1/4 he wins by daylight but I'll take the trifecta twice and super once:)

I liked Summer Bird too, and put some modest $$ on him to WP. Didn't happen, but I still love the race he ran considering how wide he was and his inexperience.

He's being pointed to the Lone Star Derby on May 9, and then the Belmont.

Relwob Owner
04-12-2009, 03:52 PM
You just reminded me of my greatest betting defeat. I bet a friend a $100 that Risen Star would win the TC. Got 10:1 odds. $100 meant a lot to me back then, so I was mighty upset that the KD did not go his way. In retrospect, it was a stupid bet on my part, as I had no outs. He should have been the 14th winner though, but that's all woulda, coulda, shoulda. Even sure things don't pan out. :(

PS: I was at Pimlico that year. My best betting day ever. Picked the winner in six races that day. Too bad I didn't realize that I was on top of the mountain bettor-wise and that all the elevators were going down in my betting career.

Nice memories!!!! Reminds me of myself after I hit the Pick 4 ending in last year's Travers.....it has been all downhill since!:)

kroebuck67
04-13-2009, 09:39 AM
I was standing at the finish line for the 8th race at OP on Derby day. I looked around, and noticed that I happened to be standing about 5 feet away from Gary Stute. He was being lectured by some tipsy redneck about how he'd wasted his time coming here, "'cause ain't no horse gonna' run good on dirt after running on poly". Stute's retort (taking the big cigar out of his mouth) was "ever hear of I want Revenge?". At this point I stepped over, held out a pen, and said, "Here Mr. Stute, in case you want to take notes." He laughed, and we talked a bit about Santa Anita & the MEC trainwreck. I finally got around to the big question: "How confident are you today?". He said, (paraphrasing) "You know, it was actually Rafael's idea to come here... he's got the notion that he can sit off the pace, and take the leaders in the stretch. All I know is, I'm not telling him what to do in the paddock." I was slightly flabbergasted, since I, undoubtedly like most people, had been visualizing a tough speed duel between Papa Clem and Old Fashioned in the race. I thanked him for the info, and walked off feeling really good that I had this valuable nugget, that probably only a very select few people knew, and which turned out to be worth so much money. Thank you Gary Stute!

Shelby
04-13-2009, 02:16 PM
Hi everyone!!!!!!!!! I have a really long review/recap of our trip. It includes our hotel stay and restaurants along with the description of the track day by day. I hope it's ok if I post it. I've worked on it all morning :cool:

--------------------------

I’ve decided I could definitely live in Hot Springs, Arkansas. What a great town. It’s full of great restaurants, shops and beautiful old buildings. And the people are the nicest people I’ve ever met. And, I don’t say that lightly. The men opened doors for the women. Everyone says “please” and “thank you”. And, you can say whatever you want about someone as long as you follow it up with “bless their heart” :D

We stayed at the beautiful Arlington Hotel www.arlingtonhotel.com (http://www.arlingtonhotel.com/) . Again, the people that work there are the nicest, most helpful people you’ll ever meet. When you walk through the spinning door you are met with a lovely bar on your right filled with comfy seats and drinks to quench any thirst. We sat down and had a glass of wine. The ambiance is wonderful.

The room we stayed in had a queen bed with a shower and bath. I was worried that the queen wouldn’t be big enough, but it was perfect. The few complaints we have are small, but I’m going to mention them so that people know. The bathroom is very little, with no counter space available to put toiletries on. The air conditioning is not cold at all. We like to sleep in a 60 degree room. Eventually, I had the thermostat set on 40 but it never got below 70, so that was uncomfortable. The walls are pretty thin. Don’t plan on sleeping all through the night or sleeping late in the morning. And finally, the parking is a bit difficult. We were there during the busiest time of the season, though, as it was the weekend of the Derby at Oaklawn Park. We had a lot of trouble on Saturday night finding a spot, but a lovely couple that was leaving flagged us down and gave us theirs!

It was hard to decide where to eat each night. I researched a lot of places online and a lot of them looked wonderful. Since we had driven so long on Thursday, we decided to eat at the Arlington so that we could just go back to the room and sleep. I started off with a spinach salad that had a balsamic vinegar dressing. It was good. Not great, but good. My husband got the lobster bisque. It came in a small cup with a flaky piece of puff pastry sealing in the soup. YUM. I had a bite and it was wonderful. On the recommendation of the waiter, I got the tuna steak and my husband got the lump crab. My tuna was not good. Dry and overcooked. The lump crab was ok. Not a very big portion, but edible. So, after finishing off our bottle of Riesling wine, we headed up and crashed.

The next morning we were up bright and early to hit the track! Walking into the lobby we saw lots of people with Bloody Mary’s in their hands, sipping, as they studied the Daily Racing Form. I had printed ours off the internet and had studied and made picks on the drive to Hot Springs. Anyway, we were too early to get in to the track, so we decided to walk across the street to the Pancake Shop www.pancakeshop.com (http://www.pancakeshop.com/) . Again, the owners and workers were just the nicest people. We sat at the counter since all of the tables were full. There are no potatoes of any kind on the menu, or any grits. I was looking forward to a grit, but I was out of luck. Overcoming my disappointment, I ordered scrambled eggs with ham and my husband got a ham and cheese omelette. Both came with toast, grape jelly and their homemade apple butter. The apple butter was really good. Not too sweet and just the right tart. The eggs were decent. A little dry. However, the atmosphere made up for that. Everyone was talking about the upcoming races. By the time we left, there was a line out of the door and down the block waiting for a table. Now that I have read the online reviews of the place, I am mad that I didn’t get the freshly squeezed orange juice and the blueberry pancakes. I guess we’ll have to go back soon and rectify that. We walked to our car, loaded up and went off to the races!

Oh. My. Gosh. The. Races. Never in my life have I experienced such a rush. The magnificent horses, as they put their ears back and run their hearts out. . The sound of the galloping hooves as they pound the dirt. The constant spray of mud and dirt that covers the horse and jockey. The sheer strength that they have. Muscles rippling and straining. Jockeys hunched down in their saddles, trying to get at streamlined as possible. The pump of the fist as the first one crosses the finish line. The slump of the shoulder as the last one does the same. Wow. Just wow. I only wish each race would have lasted longer. I can’t get enough. I am addicted. Totally and completely. I thought I was before when I just watched on the simulcast T.V’s, but no. NOW, I am hopelessly lost in the world of horse racing. No twelve step program will save me.

I have to back up here. We actually got into town on Thursday in time for the sixth race. Having never been there before, we weren’t sure where to park. We turned into the lot right next to the front door. A gentleman in a red windbreaker hurried over and asked if we needed help. Clearly, we were in the wrong spot J The parking lot was for people with season parking passes. We asked where we should go, he smiled and said “well, I’mma thinkin’ ‘bout lettin’ youins park right here!” COOL. We thanked him over and over. We hurried in, not knowing how busy it would be. Hardly anyone was there. I suppose because it was a Thursday and it was coooooold. We spotted the Oyster Bar and several places selling the corned beef. We weren’t hungry (dang it) so we went and got our tickets at the reserved seating window and dashed towards our chairs. Spotting our seats, we quickly realized that people were sitting in them. Shoot. Oh well, we wanted to sit outside anyway. We found a spot right away on the concrete stairs directly in front of the finish line. What could be better? Having not done any good on the 6th race, we placed our bets for the 7th. We hit a tri!!!!! $597!!!! What a way to start the weekend!!!

On to Friday. After eating at the Pancake Shop (see above) We knew we wouldn’t get as lucky as we did the day before on the parking issue. So, we decided to pay $20 to the lot directly in front of the track and park there. It was important to us to have a parking spot where we didn’t have a long walk. We parked there on Saturday, too and it was well worth it. We arrived at early and decided to go across the street to the bar to have a drink and work on our forms. The bar is Rocky’s Corner -- www.rockyscorner.netfirms.com (http://www.rockyscorner.netfirms.com/) . As we slid into a booth, the waitress promptly asked if we wanted a drink. Hey, even though it was only ten o’clock, we’re on vacation at the races! We both ordered a tomato beer—which confused our girl. Red beers must just be a Kansas thing. After we described what we wanted, she came back with huge, ice cold mugs full of beer and a side of tomato juice. Perfect! The mugs were so cold that they turned our beer into slush for a bit. YUM! As we worked our forms, people trickled in. The locals crowded around the bar, cussing and discussing this horse and that jockey. Tables began to order pizzas and gosh they looked good!!! Deep dish pizzas, carried out on cake stands dripping with cheese, veggies and meat. We didn’t order one, but that just gives us one more reason to visit again. They smelled SO good. After a few beers, we bundled up, left the warmth of bar and headed back across the street to the track.

It was cold…I’m told it was one of the coldest Derby weekends anyone could remember. Thank goodness we packed accordingly. The wind whipped the crowd as we huddled to keep warm. However, that didn’t stop us from stepping up to one of the many windows that sells beer. Track beer simply tastes better--sweeter and lighter. Even as temperatures dropped, it was quite easy to down a few of those. We had seats inside for both Thursday and Friday, but we opted to sit on the big stone steps, right in front of the finish line. Even if we would have had access to a fancy box to sit in, I would have chosen to be where we were, right in the middle of all of the action. We sat by a really nice couple from Missouri. We ended up saving them a place on Saturday for the big day. It worked out well. We saved their spots as they placed bets and they saved ours. It was definitely a challenge at times. But, I digress. Back to the Friday races. It was tough going. We cashed one WPS ticket. One. We missed a lot of races by a single horse. Oh well. Friday wasn’t too busy, either. The lines were maybe four deep at the betting windows. You could get your bets in right up until the last minute. Right after a race ends, the people trickle back into the building, re-beer, place their bets and then slowly make their way back to the rail for the next race. If you like the people watch, this is the place to be. The races finished up around six o’clock and we were famished. We headed back to the hotel to decide where to eat dinner.

After a couple of glasses of wine, we decided to walk around the block and eat at Angels in the Park www.angelsinthepark.com (http://www.angelsinthepark.com/) . It’s in an older hotel, a bit smaller than The Arlington. The décor is reminiscent of an old Italian bistro. The ceiling is painted a lovely blue and dotted with white clouds. The lighting is dark and cozy. They have a cute little bar that would be great for an after or before dinner drink. The couple we met from Missouri had drinks there both evenings, I believe. The menu is full of Italian dishes from calamari to veal. When we sat down we were served a basket full of crusty bread and some of the best pesto I’ve ever had. I ate a LOT of that. It was nutty and good. Our waitress had a lovely Italian accent—I’m not sure, but she might have been the owner. She was really fun and made our meal very comforting. We started off with the crab cakes in red pepper sauce. VERY good. The sauce was creamy with a hint of roasted pepper. After that, I had the special. Homemade ravioli stuffed with artichokes in sage sauce. Delicious. I could really taste the artichoke. The pasta had a good bite and, the sage complimented it well. My husband ordered the meat lasagna. It was quite a big portion, so he didn’t end up finishing it all. The sauce was a bit sweet for him, but I really liked it. We decided to get some dessert and take it back up to our room for later. She gave us a huge piece of cheesecake and something that I believe she called Italian delight. The lightest cream puffs you’ve ever had topped with some sort of chocolate whipped cream. Very good. We walked back to our hotel and debated on having one more glass of wine, but we were both worn out. And, there was some sort of prom going on so the bar was packed with onlookers as the couples entered in their fancy gowns and tuxes. So, we went to our room, ate our dessert and we were asleep before our heads hit the pillows. You guys were right. The races wear you out.

It’s Derby Day!!!!!!! We arose really early and got out the door by eight in order to drive around a bit and scope out a restaurant for that night and, the people at Rocky’s Corner said they were opening at nine, so we had decided to go there and work on our forms again. We parked and went to Rocky’s promptly at nine. They weren’t open. Dang. Oh well, we went and got in line. We had a long wait because the track didn’t open until ten. Around nine forty-five, as we peered across the street, the door to the bar finally was unlocked, so, we sacrificed our places in line in order to get a bloody mary J. They make great ones. Spicy with olives on a toothpick. We drank those down. Around ten thirty we made our way back over to the track.

WOW, it was a lot busier than the days before, but we were able to get our seats on the stone bleachers right on the finish line again. I threw my purse next to me in order to save room for our new friends. It was a beautiful day. A bit chilly at first, but the sun was shining brightly and the wind was calm. After a while, I was happy that I had worn sandals and a short sleeved shirt. We got a nice tan/burn. You couldn’t have asked for better weather. Not too hot, not too cold. We were told that we had to wait to place any bets until after the national anthem had played, so my husband went to get us one of the famous corned beef sandwiches that we were told we had to try—everyone we met told us how good they were. While he was gone, I spotted our friends and waved them up to our spots. Like I said earlier, that worked out great. Later in the day, the husband came back with a strawberry daiquiri for me to thank us for saving them seats. What a nice couple!! Anyway, Ronnie came back with a corned beef for me and a Rueben for him. Both were good, but we agreed that the corned beef was better. I covered it with the horseradish sauce it came with and drank a beer right along side. Heaven. Pure heaven. The meat is moist. Not too salty. The rye bread lightly toasted and buttered. Oh, and he also came back with some squishy seats that we could sit on. I highly recommend a blanket or stadium chairs if you sit there. It gets a little hard on your bottom by the fourth race. People started coming in droves and made their way to the rail. By the end of the day they announced that roughly fifty five thousand people were there! Boy, were there a lot of different kinds of folks there. From overalls to big fancy hats. Looking over to the right, you could see the big ESPN stage where Hank and all the guys would sit during the Derby race. Camera guys and girls were everywhere filming the crowd and the track. I wondered if I should have made a sign that said “HI MOM” J As I looked out into the infield, I could see families sitting on huge blankets enjoying the day. Lots of benches were placed along the side so that people could sit and watch. The smell of the corned beef mixed with the smells of corndogs, huge soft pretzels stuffed with cheese, gigantic peel and eat shrimp, oysters on the half shell, roast beef and cheddar sandwiches, hand cut French fries, hamburgers, hot dogs and chicken strips. People, walking around with a beer, wine or frozen drink in one hand and a box of food in the other, looking for a place to balance their food and eat. Finally, they played the National Anthem. Everyone stood, with hands over their hearts and sang. I just love Arkansas. The big screen TV was showing fighter planes flying, so I looked up to spot them. The crowd giggled as they explained that it was only on TV. I don’t get out much :lol: The stone bleachers to right of us were roped off and saved for the families and friends of the jockeys and the trainers and owners. I saw a few familiar trainers and jockeys, but never got up close enough to get an autograph. I probably would have been too shy to ask, anyway. The races flew by on Saturday. All of the sudden we were thirty minutes for the big race. If possible, even more people were packing in. We decided to get our bets placed and re-beer. And they’re off!!!! With the whole crowd standing and cheering the horses rounded the track. It’s Popa Clem with the win!!! We didn’t win any money on that one, but, hey, you can’t win them all! Sadly, Old Fashioned broke a knee, we found out later. I would have never known had I not read it online. Right before the last race, which was the last race of the season, the band played Auld Lang Syne. All of the crowd swayed and sang with their drinks in the air. The last race of the day was a long one that had the horses cross the finish line twice. Unfortunately, one gentleman forgot that aspect, screamed, while pumping his fists in the air, and rushed in to cash his huge winning ticket before the race was over. I was glad that wasn’t me :lol: And then, it was over. I’ve never had two and a half days go so quickly in my life. We ended up winning $540 dollars on a race that day. All in all, we came out ahead, which is like the icing on the cake.

We were amped up. What a great day!! Let’s go to dinner! We drove down to the Fisherman’s Wharf www.fishermanswharfhs.com (http://www.fishermanswharfhs.com/) What a fun place! You can go out on to the deck and feed the fish and watch the lake. It’s very beautiful. No tables were available, so we went to the bar and waited with a glass of wine. Once again, the people were so gracious and kind. We met a couple that lives there and they chatted with us and helped pass the time until our table was ready. We were shown to our table which was on the enclosed deck. I think they must take the plastic down when the weather gets nicer. It was a gorgeous view. The sun was setting and the lights from the boats and houses twinkled, dancing on the water. I could have stayed there for ever with a glass of wine. We were starving and started out with ¼ lb of peel and eat shrimp and six oysters on the half shell. Delicious. There were six shrimp boiled to perfection. Just the right spicyness. The oysters were briny and slid down with ease. At the bar there were workers shucking the oysters and sending them out as fast as they could. They must have REALLY strong hands to do what they do. Next, my husband ordered the clam chowder. It was pretty good. Not a lot of clam, but it had a good flavor. For our main course I had the butterfly shrimp stuffed with crab and my husband had crab legs. Mine came with rice and salad, his came with coleslaw and fries. Once again, it was all delicious. My shrimp were tender and rich. Ronnie’s crab was moist. All in all a wonderful meal.

So, that’s the story of our trip. I can’t wait to go back. Thank you to the people of Hot Springs. And, remember, you can say anything you want about anyone as long as you end it with a “bless their heart”. As I’m sure you’re saying about me right now:

“Geez, that was too long of a re-cap. She’s long-winded, bless her heart”

:D:D:D

Shelby
04-13-2009, 02:19 PM
I looked and looked for someone in a WSU sweatshirt, but I never found you :(

cj's dad
04-13-2009, 02:52 PM
The "red beer" is a Maryland thing also, though not as prevalent as years ago.

Another thing is sprinkling salt in your beer; helps it keep a "head"

Glad you had a nice time - welcome to the wacky world of horse racing.

kroebuck67
04-13-2009, 03:03 PM
Nice trip report Shelby. I'm really glad you came away with a memorable experience from my track and my state.Too bad I didn't meet you, I would have let you in on my little secret! (see my post immediately prior to your trip report)

joanied
04-13-2009, 03:30 PM

You probably know by now that Old Fashioned sustained a slab fracture...he ran on class & guts...had he been 100%...he'd have hung on to win:ThmbUp:

Oaklawnhog
04-13-2009, 03:55 PM
Great Trip Report Shelby, I've been going to Oaklawn on Derby Day for 35 Years and Still get excited about it. Hot Springs is my Favorite City in Arkansas and I've lived 65 miles away from it all my Life. Almost all my Mother's family lives in Wichita, I make trips there on an annual basis, Usually Make the Dog Track on the North Side of Wichita While I'm there, Which isn't the Horse Races, but is a nice Dog Track. Have to agree with you on the Spicy Bloody Mary's also, Start ever Race Day off with One, Gotta Get your Vitamin C and Beta Carotene's you Know!! :jump: I did hit Papa Clem and Ole Fashioned Exacta Pretty Good, But didn't fair very well on the rest of the Races. We had a Great time anyway. Hope you enjoyed it enough to make it to next years Derby!! Bless your Little Heart!! :D

Bettowin
04-13-2009, 03:56 PM
I looked and looked for someone in a WSU sweatshirt, but I never found you :(

I was trackside Friday morning from about 8 to 10am Friday morning to watch the workouts. That's something you need to do on your next trip.

We also got to the track late Thursday and bet the last 3 races but wasn't wearing the WSU pullover until Friday morning:) Probably walked right by you because we were just inside near the paddock and went up the cement steps at the finish line to get inside. I stood outside right on the glass at the finish line for the last two races. How about the last race on Thursday? Over $20K for the $1 superfecta.

Friday and Saturday we had reserved seats on the top level a bit in front of the finish line. Very worthwhile to get them in December when they go on sale. We were in section TF and will have the same seats next year.

I am already looking to book a condo for the Rebel and Oaklawn weekends next year. We had one for the Rebel and it was $150 per night for a 2 bedroom 2 bath two level condo with a full kitchen and patio on the lake. Great deal if you have 2 couples.

Glad you enjoyed your trip. We sure did.

Bettowin
04-13-2009, 03:58 PM
Great Trip Report Shelby, I've been going to Oaklawn on Derby Day for 35 Years and Still get excited about it. Hot Springs is my Favorite City in Arkansas and I've lived 65 miles away from it all my Life. Almost all my Mother's family lives in Wichita, I make trips there on an annual basis, Usually Make the Dog Track on the North Side of Wichita While I'm there, Which isn't the Horse Races, but is a nice Dog Track. Have to agree with you on the Spicy Bloody Mary's also, Start ever Race Day off with One, Gotta Get your Vitamin C and Beta Carotene's you Know!! :jump: I did hit Papa Clem and Ole Fashioned Exacta Pretty Good, But didn't fair very well on the rest of the Races. We had a Great time anyway. Hope you enjoyed it enough to make it to next years Derby!! Bless your Little Heart!! :D

FYI, the dogtrack in Wichita is closed and has been for over a year:( We head to Fonner Park on Derby day which also a fun trip but not as much as Oaklawn.

Oaklawnhog
04-13-2009, 04:07 PM
You sure busted my Bubble about the Dog Track, What am I Gonna do on my next visit to relatives now, have a trip planned for next month. :confused: We have stayed at the Arkansas Condo's on Lake Hamilton several times and have to agree with you that they are the way to go if you have two Couples. Reasonable Priced and very nice.

Bettowin
04-13-2009, 04:11 PM
You sure busted my Bubble about the Dog Track, What am I Gonna do on my next visit to relatives now, have a trip planned for next month. :confused: We have stayed at the Arkansas Condo's on Lake Hamilton several times and have to agree with you that they are the way to go if you have two Couples. Reasonable Priced and very nice.

Eureka Downs is running May 25th and May 30th and is only about an hour or so from Wichita. It is a whole different ballgame when compared to Oaklawn. Many $1500 and $2500 claiming races.

Oaklawnhog
04-13-2009, 04:17 PM
What town is Eureka Downs located at?? I'll try anything as long as I can make a 2$ Bet and Drink a Cold Beer. Had a business trip to Wilkes-Barre Pennsylvania Last year and Went to Pocono Downs. My first trip to A Harness Horse Race Track, but my buddy and I had a Good time, It was definitely different than Oaklawn.

Shelby
04-13-2009, 04:19 PM
Thanks everyone!

kroebuck67 - I sure wish I'd have had your tip! How cool to get to talk to him!

Oaklawnhog- Yeah, it was a sad day when the dog track closed. I was there almost every weekend betting the horses. The owner of the track, Phil Ruffin, just couldn't afford to keep it open unless the good people of Sedgwick county voted to have slot machines there. Word is that the ballot was confusing and people that wanted to vote yes, ended up voting no. There could be another vote in the near future, so we'll see.

Bettowin--I was wondering when we could get tickets for next year. Thanks for that tip. I'm sure we walked by each other about a million times at the track :D. I would have peed my pants had I won that super....sigh.

Cjsdad--I'm glad someone else knows about red beers, and yeah, salt on top is the way to go!

I'm hoping we can keep this thread going so that I'll remember to get tickets when they go on sale and figure out a place to stay! The Arlington was a great location, but I think we want to stay somewhere else next time.

Shelby
04-13-2009, 04:23 PM
What town is Eureka Downs located at?? I'll try anything as long as I can make a 2$ Bet and Drink a Cold Beer. Had a business trip to Wilkes-Barre Pennsylvania Last year and Went to Pocono Downs. My first trip to A Harness Horse Race Track, but my buddy and I had a Good time, It was definitely different than Oaklawn.

http://www.eurekadowns.com/

It's located in Eureka, Kansas. Definitely not a big track, but you might have fun. Their website definitely needs some work lol.

Bettowin
04-13-2009, 04:33 PM

Eureka Ks. About 35 miles straight east of El Dorado. Very easy drive. They usually have a mix of qh's and thoroughbreds run each day. Good thing you bet $2 because a $20 bet drops a 15-1 to 3-1:)

Bettowin
04-13-2009, 04:38 PM
http://www.eurekadowns.com/

It's located in Eureka, Kansas. Definitely not a big track, but you might have fun. Their website definitely needs some work lol.

HA about the website. I thought the same thing and have some better photos of the place than that. Here is a link to my picasa folders. Have some from Eureka Downs and Anthony Downs here in KS along with my trip to Del Mar and the Rebel Stakes. Haven't got to downloading the Oaklawn Derby weekend yet.

http://picasaweb.google.com/tband81

PS - If you view in the slideshow mode it is much better than clicking on each picture.

Enjoy.

Shelby
04-13-2009, 04:45 PM
HA about the website. I thought the same thing and have some better photos of the place than that. Here is a link to my picasa folders. Have some from Eureka Downs and Anthony Downs here in KS along with my trip to Del Mar and the Rebel Stakes. Haven't got to downloading the Oaklawn Derby weekend yet.

http://picasaweb.google.com/home

PS - If you view in the slideshow mode it is much better than clicking on each picture.

Enjoy.

Dang, I can't see anything but the google home page......

Bettowin
04-13-2009, 04:46 PM
Dang, I can't see anything but the google home page......

Oops.

Try this one.

Oaklawnhog
04-13-2009, 04:47 PM
Thanks, I'll have to check it out, Kinda reminds me of Blue Ribbon Downs at Sallisaw, Ok. They run a mix of Quarter horses and ThroughBreds too.

Shelby
04-13-2009, 04:53 PM
Oops.

Try this one.

This one works! Thanks!

Wow, you're a great photographer.

Bettowin
04-13-2009, 05:01 PM
This one works! Thanks!

Wow, you're a great photographer.

Thanks. Just learning since last June.

joanied
04-13-2009, 05:29 PM
Shelby,
Thanks for sharing...glad you had such a wonderful time and now find yourself 'hooked' on racing:ThmbUp:
I looked at your photos...great stuff...I love all the pics of Proud Spell...I hope that little mare heals up 100% and gets back to running again soon....I miss her. Of course, there is always the possibility that they decide to retire her...hope not.
:)

Bruddah
04-13-2009, 09:51 PM
You are a wonderful writer. Your analysis and descriptions were fair, honest and very entertaining. I wished I had known your choice of hotels was the Arlington. I would have guided you in another direction. It was good in its' day (long, long ago) but, Not a place I would send a first time visitor to Hot Springs. Especially a nice young couple.

If you aren't a columnist or food critic, you could have an excellent career awaiting you.

Thanks for the memories and I do hpe you will return to Hot Springs again.

Bruddah

P.S. I was shocked :eek: to hear that only 55k plus were there this year. Horse racing is going through some hard times.

Toss_DeLoser
04-13-2009, 10:57 PM

Didn't miss her much. :bang:

Bruddah,
Was just a touch cool. But we had your shotgun lubed up good. Was a fine day for P3 & Tri season to open.:D

Bruddah
04-14-2009, 08:20 AM
Didn't miss her much. :bang:

Bruddah,
Was just a touch cool. But we had your shotgun lubed up good. Was a fine day for P3 & Tri season to open.:D

I read in your response that the old shotgun may have knocked down a few Quail. Hope that was the case. As for me, I only played the Arky Derby on line. I would have needed my shotgun for that race because my rifle was out of alignment. lol!

I can't wait to be back healthy, for next year. :ThmbUp:

Shelby
04-14-2009, 09:24 AM
You are a wonderful writer. Your analysis and descriptions were fair, honest and very entertaining. I wished I had known your choice of hotels was the Arlington. I would have guided you in another direction. It was good in its' day (long, long ago) but, Not a place I would send a first time visitor to Hot Springs. Especially a nice young couple.

If you aren't a columnist or food critic, you could have an excellent career awaiting you.

Thanks for the memories and I do hpe you will return to Hot Springs again.

Bruddah

P.S. I was shocked :eek: to hear that only 55k plus were there this year. Horse racing is going through some hard times.

Thank you so much! I wish I was a travel writer, or a food critic or a columnist.....it's something I really enjoy doing. I really appreciate you reading and commenting--you've MADE my day!!

We are most certainly coming back. I am already researching to find a different place to stay....and I have to remember that December is the time to buy tickets. I'm terrified that I'm going to forget that lol.

I knew you would be surprised about the number of people in attendance. A lot more people could have squeezed in there, especially in the infield.

I hope we can meet up at the track next year! You better get that doctor to get off your back :D

Bettowin
04-14-2009, 10:08 AM
Shelby,

Here is a great site to find a rental house or condo. I used it a couple times with great results. Some are handled through a property manager or third party and some you deal directly with the owner. This year we stayed on the lake and talked to the owner over the phone previous to our stay and he actually came over to pick up the money so we got to meet and talk to him for a short time. Very easy and very reliable making a reservation through this site. Recruit some friends or relatives to come along next year and you can get a very nice place for less than a hotel room.

http://www.vrbo.com/

Shelby
04-14-2009, 10:12 AM
Shelby,

Here is a great site to find a rental house or condo. I used it a couple times with great results. Some are handled through a property manager or third party and some you deal directly with the owner. This year we stayed on the lake and talked to the owner over the phone previous to our stay and he actually came over to pick up the money so we got to meet and talk to him for a short time. Very easy and very reliable making a reservation through this site. Recruit some friends or relatives to come along next year and you can get a very nice place for less than a hotel room.

http://www.vrbo.com/

Thanks! Wow, I've never heard of this site. It's going in my bookmarks.

Oaklawnhog
04-14-2009, 10:33 AM
I've done business with this site also, several times with good results. If you will sign up for their free newsletters they will send you e-mail specials during the Oaklawn season. Haven't had any trouble with them spamming either.

http://www.arkansascondos.com/

Shelby
04-14-2009, 11:13 AM
I've done business with this site also, several times with good results. If you will sign up for their free newsletters they will send you e-mail specials during the Oaklawn season. Haven't had any trouble with them spamming either.

http://www.arkansascondos.com/

Thanks! Bookmarked this one, too!

edited to add I just signed up for the newsletter, too.

sandpit
04-14-2009, 02:32 PM
Thanks! Wow, I've never heard of this site. It's going in my bookmarks.

Good deal; I second the recommendation for vrbo.com; I've used it to find places all across the country, and have never had a problem.

Bruddah
04-14-2009, 03:36 PM
In reviewing replays of this race, I had to take notice of Summer Bird. If this race had been a few yards further, he wins going away. I was truly impressed by the way the horse closed the last 1/16th. A look at his pedigree (Birdstone) shows this young horse needs the added distance. If he stays healthy, he could be a factor in cleaning up the trifecta and Super in the Ky Derby.( his graded earnings being a problem) I expect he could be a real factor in the Preakness & Belmont. :ThmbUp:

Bettowin
04-14-2009, 03:42 PM
In reviewing replays of this race, I had to take notice of Summer Bird. If this race had been a few yards further, he wins going away. I was truly impressed by the way the horse closed the last 1/16th. A look at his pedigree (Birdstone) shows this young horse needs the added distance. If he stays healthy, he could be a factor in cleaning up the trifecta and Super in the Ky Derby.( his graded earnings being a problem) I expect he could be a real factor in the Preakness & Belmont. :ThmbUp:

I read somewhere they will probably take him to Lone Star and then the Belmont to win just like his daddy:) I had him in all three top spots for the ex, tri and super. Was seeing the Brinks truck backing up to my house when he was coming down the lane:) Damn!

Bruddah
04-14-2009, 04:57 PM
that was a good catch on this horse. If you haven't watched the reruns of the Ark. Derby, I recommend it. A win in the Lone Star Derby and then a small field in the Belmont makes sense to me.

I really think he can win the Belmont. Hopefully at a good price. :ThmbUp:

joanied
04-14-2009, 05:29 PM
Didn't know jack about this colt before the AK Derby....like everyone else I guess...he trailed the field so far down the backstretch, I thought to myself...geeze, this poor horse shouldn't be running with this bunch...then the Summer Bird's wings opened and he did fly...I know I was stunned and very impressed...
my goodness...just think if we get the same colt to win the 1st 2 legs...and then another Birdstone pulls the upset...ooooh noooooo:faint:

kroebuck67
04-14-2009, 07:31 PM
Joanied - Arkansas = AR.... AK is Alaska

(one of my pet peeves, sorry) :)

sally
04-14-2009, 08:17 PM

you must work for the post office....:D

toussaud
04-14-2009, 08:37 PM
you must work for the post office....:D

I live in little rock and MORE than once I have had clients send me money via western union to little rock arizona (yes there is a city) How the heck someone comes up with AZ from arknansas I don't know but it happens,.

WinterTriangle
04-14-2009, 08:47 PM
the ARK Democrat did a wonderful several page write up on the AR Derby.

Complete with diagrams of the track, next to it he horses numbered, and then showing exactly how they each ran the race at each interval. Very nice.

joanied
04-14-2009, 08:55 PM

OOOOPPPPSSSS:blush: ....my bad :bang: ARK ARK:)

Bettowin
04-14-2009, 10:12 PM
that was a good catch on this horse. If you haven't watched the reruns of the Ark. Derby, I recommend it. A win in the Lone Star Derby and then a small field in the Belmont makes sense to me.

I really think he can win the Belmont. Hopefully at a good price. :ThmbUp:

Summer Bird's past races looked just like Win Willy's prior to his Rebel win except that SB had already gone around two turns at Oaklawn and finished very fast in his last race at 1 1/16th plus a nice workout one week prior to the Derby. God knows he had the breeding to go long and wasn't taxed much in his last win. He also looked GREAT in the paddock and the pace was expected to be fast so everything was right for him to improve a bit and be in the race coming for home.

I also expected more from Flying Private but I guess $700K doesn't buy you what it used to:)

Flat Out had a giant task in front of him coming off a two month inury layoff and didn't look very sharp in the paddock. He actually looked disinterested but I had never seen him before so maybe that's how he always is.

Papa Clem ran 2nd his last race to IMO one of the top 3 heading to the Kentucky Derby so that alone showed he belonged in this race. Despite losing 5 lengths to Friesan Fire in that race he ran a respectable last quarter after dueling for the lead the first half of the race. If he runs in Kentucky on the 2nd of May I think he has no shot to hit the board.

Shelby
06-09-2009, 10:12 AM
Just got back from dinner and am finally able to post from the hotel business center.

Damn if only. How many times do we say that in this silly game?

PS - Even though there were 55K+ I had no trouble betting or getting food or drinks. Got tickets to the upper level and the lines were fairly short and most of all the people in line knew how to bet quickly.

Can't wait till next year.

Had to resurrect this thread --Bettowin sure picked Summer Bird and had him pegged!

Bettowin
06-09-2009, 02:46 PM
Had to resurrect this thread --Bettowin sure picked Summer Bird and had him pegged!

He really stood out on looks in Arkansas. Bruddah had him picked to win the Belmont mid-April!!! :) I didn't think he would get into the Derby hence the Lone Star Derby then Belmont.

Bruddah
06-10-2009, 08:28 AM
He really stood out on looks in Arkansas. Bruddah had him picked to win the Belmont mid-April!!! :) I didn't think he would get into the Derby hence the Lone Star Derby then Belmont.

I appreciate your post and recognition. (Red Board) I did play the horse to win in the Belmont. (missed my Tri and Super plays) It was a good score and almost got me out of the hole for my bets in the Derby and Preakness. (-$62 for the series of bets)

PA also made a good call on the horse and deserved all the accolades he received for picking him Publicly. If anything, I just recognized his talent and tried to call attention to him after his run in the Arky Derby.

Thanks Bruddah

PaceAdvantage
06-10-2009, 10:00 PM
Bruddah's the man! He beat me by two months!

Nice call!

Bruddah
06-11-2009, 01:12 AM
I read somewhere they will probably take him to Lone Star and then the Belmont to win just like his daddy:) I had him in all three top spots for the ex, tri and super. Was seeing the Brinks truck backing up to my house when he was coming down the lane:) Damn!

Let's not forget your big score in the Arky Derby. You had him picked and cashed on your tickets. With all the congratulations and kudos going to Mike and myself, it was you that scored big with him in the Arky Derby. In essence, you were the first to have this horse figured out. Congratulations on some nice handicapping on your part. :ThmbUp:

Shelby
06-11-2009, 10:02 AM
I'm impressed with all of you! :ThmbUp::ThmbUp::ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

Shelby
01-19-2010, 09:44 AM

Enjoy.

Went through Eureka yesterday and thought about you guys! Have they decided whether or not they are closing the track?

I'm making my plans this week for the Arkansas Derby!!!

Anyone going?

I see Papa Clem got a win this year already :)

Shelby
01-19-2010, 09:45 AM
I read in your response that the old shotgun may have knocked down a few Quail. Hope that was the case. As for me, I only played the Arky Derby on line. I would have needed my shotgun for that race because my rifle was out of alignment. lol!

I can't wait to be back healthy, for next year. :ThmbUp:

Are you going??? I hope so!!!!

WinterTriangle
01-20-2010, 06:43 PM
Hi Shelby,
So you're gonna be a lifelong fan of Oaklawn it seems. :)

As for lines, I really don't mind at Oaklawn, lots of good conversations in those lines and as others have said, Oaklawn is one of the most FAN FRIENDLY tracks in the U.S.

I get a season pass every year so I don't have to wait in lines to get in.
I do like the quieter days like Thurs and Friday though. I can stand by paddocks without anyone in front of me.

I get more "bang for the buck" spending $$ on hotel rooms than I do for seats, so I'll probably forego the seats this year. I'd rather spend it staying overnight 2 nights than seats. That alone can get *pricey* when you figure 4 months of hotel rooms once a week. :) I just hate to drive when it gets dark earlier now. Once daylight savings time starts, I'll be able to go more often.

I can never seem to stay in my seat! The first year I reserved seat for the season, but I wasn't there 75% of the time. I like to wander to paddocks, stand on the apron close up to the track to FEEL the horses whoosh by. :)

Shelby
01-21-2010, 04:39 AM
I hear ya....I guess I like to "know" that I have a place to sit, even if I never do lol.