PDA

View Full Version : Bill Finley Throws His Support For Mayo et al

DeanT
03-30-2009, 08:31 PM
Bill Finley interviews Mike Mayo about race 6 at Will Rogers Downs and lends his support to horseplayers.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/triplecrown09/columns/story?columnist=finley_bill&id=4028701

It is the betting dollar that drives the entire racing industry, which should make the horseplayer the most powerful segment in the industry. Instead, it is its weakest. The player is neglected, underappreciated and has no voice. That's why takeout rates are outrageously high, the advance-deposit wagering systems are a mess and a lot of tracks care more about slot machines than they do horseracing. Face it, we've been pushed around and don't fight back. Mike Mayo wants that to stop.

Now it's up to the hundreds of thousands of people who bet on horses every day in this country. Tired of being shortchanged? Then bet on Tuesday's sixth at Will Rogers Downs.

For free PP's, CJ's pace figs and a few other neat things for race 6 at WRD, check the blog here.

http://blog.horseplayersassociation.org/2009/03/wrd-race-6-free-pps-and-much-more.html

Cangamble
03-30-2009, 08:57 PM
A little disappointed the article didn't mention HANA. But I'll forgive Finley this time.

TRM
03-30-2009, 11:07 PM
I was under the impression this was supposed to be a "hush-hush" betting coup??

I understand about getting the word out, but we haven't shown any impact yet, and it's already on ESPN........

BillW
03-30-2009, 11:19 PM
this grew legs on it's own. As far as I know, no one contacted Finley with a press release or request for a story (he may have been registered on the mailing list though).

I understand about getting the word out, but we haven't shown any impact yet, and it's already on ESPN........

highnote
03-30-2009, 11:27 PM

Besides the Paceadvantage and HANA crowd how many people know about this? Do racetrack executives read Finley?

Does WRD know about this? Are they anticipating it?

miesque
03-30-2009, 11:47 PM
Well, front and center on Equidaily today there was a link to the Fotias letter on the HANA Blog and I would assume there are quite a few people each day that check out Equidaily who are not on Pace nor part of HANA.

DeanT
03-30-2009, 11:53 PM

One of the most viral things I have seen on the net for horse racing so far. In Buzzmarketing the author speaks of customers in the old days telling 23 others when they are annoyed at something, and he relays that he thinks that number can be multiplied by a factor of 100 with the Internet. That is what happened with this. People told people. Bettors are screaming for something to be done to help the game. It was not promoted as we would have done normally, like the track ratings, this went on its own merits. We don't even have a snappy marketable name for it yet. It is just like 1970, only we're betting, not selling shampoo.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TgDxWNV4wWY&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TgDxWNV4wWY&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

highnote
03-31-2009, 12:02 AM
It is just like 1970, only we're betting, not selling shampoo.

Yeah, but to the racetracks, horseplayers are still the unwashed masses.

Sorry, I can't resist a pun. :)

miesque
03-31-2009, 12:16 AM

Sorry, I can't resist a pun. :)

Well in all fairness, there have been a few times when I have been at the track and a survey of the landscape reveals some guys who look like they just rolled out of bed, shower optional (but the hangover did not look like it was optional). :D

Cangamble
03-31-2009, 12:17 AM

.....And the jockeys have already predetermined the correct order of finish.

Let me just say. If Will Rogers is reading this, we expect an honest race. It may mean some good repeat business.

DeanT
03-31-2009, 12:17 AM

Sorry, I can't resist a pun. images/UBGX/E1.gif

At an offtrack place I used to go to in downtown TO they should have handed out Prell at the door instead of pencils :)

TRM
03-31-2009, 12:19 AM
Don't get me wrong, this is going to be an interesting experiment, I just find it interesting how rapidly the word has gotten around. More power to us!!!

NJ Stinks
03-31-2009, 12:50 AM
I was going to bet the race tomorrow but my NJ Wagering Account didn't take bets from WRD on Monday so I doubt they will tomorrow.

DeanT
03-31-2009, 01:18 AM
I was going to bet the race tomorrow but my NJ Wagering Account didn't take bets from WRD on Monday so I doubt they will tomorrow.
If the pools go up tomorrow they will have gone up by a lesser amount than they should have due to fracturing of the signals by state. It will have cost them money and they should know that. If they want everyone to play into their pools they should make sure all tracks are offered at all ADW's, at a fair price.

DanG
03-31-2009, 08:05 AM
I hope we don’t draw too many hard conclusions (either good or bad) from this individual race. We must walk before we run and long term persistence is what will determine our ultimate success.

miesque
03-31-2009, 08:47 AM
I hope we don’t draw too many hard conclusions (either good or bad) from this individual race. We must walk before we run and long term persistence is what will determine our ultimate success.

Very well put, as I noted in another thread, this is the first step and the goal is to build a solid foundation for growth and to continue to move forward. We have a long way to go. Since spring is now upon us, a great analogy, is taking a couch potato that has been sitting around all winter stuffing their face watching hockey and basketball and get them in fit and tight as a fiddle for swimsuit season. Despite what you might see on commercials, it does not happen overnight, it takes a lot of time, effort and dedication, but its more then worth it.

miesque
03-31-2009, 09:12 AM
Can I please get a confirmation from the Jersey contingent who are unable to wager on Will Rogers Down that link below is the proper list to reference for all the content available for you to wager on via your NJ wagering account?

http://www.njsea.com/sharedimages/awcurrentcalendar.pdf

Rocklane
03-31-2009, 11:00 AM

From my short time participating on this board, one thing is clear:
DanG = Mr. Levelhead :ThmbUp: Great, consistant poster.

Without stirring up anything, can someone please tell me why HANA feels a buycott at a small track is more effective than boycotts at larger tracks?

miesque
03-31-2009, 11:11 AM
Without stirring up anything, can someone please tell me why HANA feels a buycott at a small track is more effective than boycotts at larger tracks?

At risk of sounding repetitive, I am going to repeat a comment of mine from another thread. While its always important to keep the big picture in mind, the required initial steps which provide the necessary foundation to achieve such goals tend to be more basic. To use an example, there is a noted progression between learning how to walk and running in the Boston Marathon. Success on a grand scale does not occur overnight but is the product of hard work and proper strategic planning. In addition, it certainly does not hurt to start out in a positive manner with a positive message, it sells better and the goal that is to try to effectuate change that will help grow handle and the game. There is already a tremendous amount of negativity out there and negativity by itself is not going to change things.

NJ Stinks
03-31-2009, 11:35 AM
Can I please get a confirmation from the Jersey contingent who are unable to wager on Will Rogers Down that link below is the proper list to reference for all the content available for you to wager on via your NJ wagering account?

http://www.njsea.com/sharedimages/awcurrentcalendar.pdf

Miesque, I just signed in to my NJ Wagering Account. The tracks listed at the link you posted above does agree with the list of all the tracks available today in the NJ Wagering Account website.

miesque
03-31-2009, 11:50 AM
Miesque, I just signed in to my NJ Wagering Account. The tracks listed at the link you posted above does agree with the list of all the tracks available today in the NJ Wagering Account website.

Thanks, NJ Stink! :ThmbUp:

reckless
03-31-2009, 03:36 PM
Could this a conspiracy of sorts ???

What I mean is Phila. Park, my home track, has previously made Will Rogers Downs available for wagering **except** today, which is a very light racing day, yet simulcasting wagering isn't available today.

I will admit not being a big fan of WIll Rogers Downs so I cannot say for sure if they normally show this track on a regualr basis or not. But Philly Park has made it available often times, I am sure of that.

Watcher
03-31-2009, 05:41 PM
Hit the 10/1/11 Trifecta... :ThmbUp:

cj
03-31-2009, 05:44 PM

What I mean is Phila. Park, my home track, has previously made Will Rogers Downs available for wagering **except** today, which is a very light racing day, yet simulcasting wagering isn't available today.

I will admit not being a big fan of WIll Rogers Downs so I cannot say for sure if they normally show this track on a regualr basis or not. But Philly Park has made it available often times, I am sure of that.

They were also not available via TwinSpires. It was on the tote, but said simply no internet or phone wagering available.

Watcher
03-31-2009, 05:46 PM
They were also not available via TwinSpires. It was on the tote, but said simply no internet or phone wagering available.
We had access through TwinSpires here.

miesque
03-31-2009, 05:47 PM
Thats strange because I both wagered and watched the race on Twinspires.com.

Pace Cap'n
03-31-2009, 06:06 PM

Can you normally bet OK tracks on TwinSpires?

Bobzilla
03-31-2009, 06:10 PM
I wagered and watched through TwinSpires as well. Just checked the "Recall Today's Bets" to make they sure they were listed which they were.

highnote
03-31-2009, 07:59 PM

I called Philly Park's Phonebet and they told me they didn't have a contract with WRD and have never carried their signal.

Like you, I was sure I saw WRD listed on Phonebet just a day or two ago.

Something is rotten in Denmark.

Track Collector
03-31-2009, 08:10 PM
I participated today.:)

For purposes of evaluating the increased handle on the designated race, would it also not make sense to look at the handle of the other races on the same card (at least the thoroughbred races) in comparision to individual race handles from other days? I suspect that a significant number of those who participated on the designated race ALSO played some other races on the card for a track they normally would not have played at all.

BillW
03-31-2009, 08:15 PM

I think you have it nailed Pace.

ezrabrooks
03-31-2009, 09:02 PM

That is probably the reason, although I don't know for sure. Kinda like YouBet blocking betting Texas Tracks for Texas residents.

Ez

socantra
04-01-2009, 12:49 AM

Before it was Twin Spires, Brisbet always blocked Oklahoma residents from betting Oklahoma tracks.

cj
04-01-2009, 08:22 AM
I never used TS for betting WRD or RP, so I don't know. I was able to watch the video.

BillW
04-01-2009, 11:01 AM
I never used TS for betting WRD or RP, so I don't know. I was able to watch the video.

They work that way with Tx tracks - all is well till you click send - then the error message comes up. Otherwise things appear normal.