PDA

View Full Version : Beyer on Keeneland

karlskorner
04-19-2003, 08:22 AM
www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/sports/columns/beyerandrew

"Traveling by rail is the way to go"

linrom1
04-19-2003, 10:29 AM
Let's see, next time he comments about Keenland, it will have something to do with what great and unbiased racing this strip is.

Now I am also more convinced that Peace Rules is a legit derby candidate.

superfecta
04-19-2003, 01:14 PM
Let me get this straight,it is a biased track that favors speed on the inside?Doesn't every track do that by some degree?Just on physics alone the fast inside horses get an advantage.If it is biased,take your own advice and adjust to it,capitalize on those big prices.Dog eat your real column and you wrote this one on the short bus to work, Andy?

Kentucky Bred
04-19-2003, 03:35 PM
Funny that Beyer chooses this year to write this article. It would have been more accurate in any other season but this one. Yes, there has been the usual-on-the-rail winners, but we have had torrential rains on and off for the entire meet. One thing I've noticed is that the track plays very fair the DAY AFTER the rains. So when the track is sloppy play speed but remember to include your closers even in the win spot the day after it rains.

At the very least, you'll get a fair run and at a very good price. At the best, the closers have a definite advantage. Today for example, as of this writing, Keeneland is drying out. All the winners through the 4th race have come from off the pace.

However, beware. Once the speed and rail shows up again, it is likely to stay for the rest of the day.

Kentucky Bred

Tom
04-19-2003, 05:01 PM
I know two tings about KEE:

1. I have had no less than 9 horses on the lead, on the rail, at the top of the stretch, two with Pat Day aboard, and not one has one or placed.

2. I will never play KEE again.

cj
04-20-2003, 12:03 AM
I'm with you Tom, I hate Keeneland and never play it. That's why I switched in the contest. Experience has taught me, when everyone knows speed and the rail is the place to be, the chances of picking who will be on the lead and the rail becomes much more difficult. I'd rather play Hawthorne than try to guess which jock is gunning today.

The only good thing about Kee is betting against all the supposed good performances there as they move on to other tracks and betting on horses who were disadvantaged at Kee.

CJ

Early
04-20-2003, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by cjmilkowski
The only good thing about Kee is betting against all the supposed good performances there as they move on to other tracks and betting on horses who were disadvantaged at Kee.
CJ

Ssshhhh! One of the few things they don't spell out in black and white in the form/program.

Tom
04-20-2003, 12:25 PM
I was doing crap at AQU in the contest so I switched to KEE.
That turns out ot be my vitamin track - one a day!

andicap
04-20-2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by cjmilkowski
I'm with you Tom, I hate Keeneland and never play it. That's why I switched in the contest. Experience has taught me, when everyone knows speed and the rail is the place to be, the chances of picking who will be on the lead and the rail becomes much more difficult. I'd rather play Hawthorne than try to guess which jock is gunning today.

CJ

Here's another problem with tracks perceived by the jockey colony to be very speed favoring. EVERYONE goes for the lead. And sometimes that means the fractions are so insane that despite the bias a closer wins. I've seen that primarily on two-turn races where speed horses get hung up outside and the inside speed tires after going in 45.2 and 109.3 for a 8.5f race.
Even with the bias they walk home in 33 or something and a closer going 31.2 picks them off.