PDA

View Full Version : A new /old computer

pktruckdriver
03-29-2009, 08:36 PM
I need a new computer , but want it to be like my old one, with XP on it.

LAPTOP, NEW OR REFURBISHED

SHIPPED OVERNIGHT

UNDER 600.00 OR BETTER UNDER 500.00

2-4 gb (ddr) ram
120-250 gb hard drive
7200 rpm speed, but guess 5400 will do
dual core prossesor, (not sure about this)

I need a wide type screen

plenty of usb ports

centrino type of wireless capabilities

durable, as I am trucker it will get bumped and beat up really good

explain to me about this DOS thing with XP, and not with Vista, please??????

help me figure this out as my computer is totally screwed up, NOW DAVE FIXED ONE OF THE PROBLEMS WITH MY COMPUTER AND HIS PROGRAM, EARLIER THIS WEEK, BUT I STILL HAVE ISSUES WITH IT.....

I havw worked with others with the program and we compoare notes , but here is the real problem that worries me tremendously, everyone that i contact about our program they all have different numbers then me, which means that they have different horses to pick than I do, and that SCARES ME TREMENDOUSLY AS I HAVE LITTLE FAITH IN MY PICKS WITH THIS ISSUE BEING VERY PROMINENT WITH ME, BUT I FEEL IT IS MY COMPUTER SOMEHOW, BUT HOW I DO NOT KNOW, I JUST KNOW FOR A fact that 3-4 people have had different numbers than me, and that is wrong to me.

Please help me find a better computer, thanks

Patrick

Dave Schwartz
03-29-2009, 08:58 PM
I would look for other reasons for the "different numbers." There are several settings in the import program (HSJ) that you might have different.

If the software appears to be running fine, them what I would do is decide which of "the people you are working with" you wish to most-imitate and set your settings as theirs are. There will be an issue with the back data but I can help with the conversion of your old data to the same settings that they have.

Dave
Who apparently subscribes to the
axiom "in for a penny, in for a pound"

JustRalph
03-29-2009, 09:28 PM
Dave
Who apparently subscribes to the
axiom "in for a penny, in for a pound"
:lol: :lol:

pktruckdriver
03-29-2009, 09:54 PM
:lol: :lol:

JR Dave was very good and fixed most of the problems that I have had with this computer.

He got the Preference window fixed, His Program has me winning, really it does wonders in helping with my handicapping, but how could this problem be with his program, we already know my computer is whacked, and I should of put it out of it's misery last year.

I feel that I may have made it impossible for dang near anything to work right on this computer, as I have been inside delelting things that people said would help me, and yes maybe they did , but then maybe they did not and I delelted things I should not have, it is possible...as I know me.

HSH is a great Program, and I want the Program to work 100%, and do not want differing numbers than what others are getting, and I really think it is my doing somehow, plus this computer , almost did not boot this weekend, and I had to go thru SAFE MODE TO GET IT TO BOOT UP, now it works right, but it just seems ready to quit on me, kinda like I am with it.

Hope this explains things better, cause let be known that HSH is not a bad program, nope it is awesome, hard to learn, but really awesome, if one stays persisitent, like I did, and will continue doing, because I believe in it, that is why I want to get a computer that will run it correctly.

Any idea on where I can get that done , and at a bargain , and from somehwere respected for great service, and great computers.

Thanks

Patrick

Dave Schwartz
03-29-2009, 10:18 PM
If you feel strongly that you wish to purchase another laptop, check out Costco online. They had a really nice HP (AMD/5200 rpm) for $699. There were a couple of others for $100 less but not as much RAM (and no AMD). The $100 rebate ends sometime this week I think.

If you want XP, you must go to a small vendor. They can still get the "downgrade" but you will not get a deal like Costco.

My local guy could get you such a computer but you'd pay $900+ for the same machine.

dlgreg
03-30-2009, 07:19 AM
Best Buy has an almost identical computer to the one Dave found at Costco - $699.99, no rebate to mess with.
See link -
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9166635&type=product&id=1218041148373

Dave Schwartz
03-30-2009, 11:23 AM
Dwight,

That is exactly the same computer.

I checked the Costco site and the rebate was "instant." However, the offer expired last week.

Dave

dutchboy
03-30-2009, 07:16 PM
About 1986 I purchased a laptop. Windows 3.1, 386 processor, 4mb of ram, 120mb hard drive, 7200 baud modem. No extra software. Price was about 1600 bucks. Thought I was king of the world when it showed up. Made a nice lap warmer. 2 years later tried to sell it with no takers so I took it to the pawn shop and they gave me 200 for it.

The computer at Best Buy sure looks like an unbelievable deal.

Best Buy has an almost identical computer to the one Dave found at Costco - $699.99, no rebate to mess with.
See link -
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9166635&type=product&id=1218041148373