PDA

View Full Version : ESPN=idiots

Valuist
03-28-2009, 05:53 PM
Quality Road puts away a challenge by Dunkirk and what does the Eastern Seaboard Programming Network do? They focus completely on Dunkirk, they interview Pletcher and show Dunkirk galloping back. Quality Road's win is an afterthought to those idiots.

Desormeaux shocked the commentators before the race when he said he felt Quality Road was the horse to beat. Blasphemy to the hype loving network.

tribecaagent
03-28-2009, 06:15 PM
I wish I had a million dollars in my account to bet on Quality Road after Hank Goldberg picked Dunkirk

Relwob Owner
03-28-2009, 06:17 PM
I wish I had a million dollars in my account to bet on Quality Road after Hank Goldberg picked Dunkirk

I think it would be interesting to bet how many cocktails Hank Goldberg has had when they put him on after races....rosy cheeks, slurred words.

The Dunkirk focus was amazing....I guess they were prepping the public for his start in the Preakness

slewis
03-28-2009, 06:35 PM
Quality Road puts away a challenge by Dunkirk and what does the Eastern Seaboard Programming Network do? They focus completely on Dunkirk, they interview Pletcher and show Dunkirk galloping back. Quality Road's win is an afterthought to those idiots.

Desormeaux shocked the commentators before the race when he said he felt Quality Road was the horse to beat. Blasphemy to the hype loving network.

Well, there might be a bit more to this then meets the eye.

Jimmy J aint the easiest person you'd want to interview...Unlike Todd, it's just not his style.

I love to tease him after he wins a big stakes race by saying something like "Well done Jimmy, this should keep you happy till say, 6 AM tomorrow?"
And we'd laugh...
He's a good guy, but not the TV type.

Valuist
03-28-2009, 06:39 PM
No, that wasn't it. It was the $3.5 million dollar yearling tag that inspires hype. They LIVE for hype. Funny how Desormeaux said he'd "keep one eye on Quality Road all race because he was the horse to beat" yet the ESPN announcer said, "I'm sure he'll have the other eye on Dunkirk. This was absolute overkill and an insult to the connections of Quality Road.

tribecaagent
03-28-2009, 06:57 PM
[QUOTE=Relwob Owner]I think it would be interesting to bet how many cocktails Hank Goldberg has had when they put him on after races....rosy cheeks, slurred words.

That would be funny......is it liquer or the 17 cuban sandwiches he eats up in the press box. truly believe he picks losers by design. That guy NEVER wins.

PaceAdvantage
03-28-2009, 07:05 PM
I think it would be interesting to bet how many cocktails Hank Goldberg has had when they put him on after races....rosy cheeks, slurred words.Drinks? Nah. That's just Hank being Hank. No alcohol needed.

Haven't you been lucky enough to catch him on ESPN in the past? Par for the course.

Shemp Howard
03-28-2009, 07:06 PM
I think it would be interesting to bet how many cocktails Hank Goldberg has had when they put him on after races....rosy cheeks, slurred words.

The Dunkirk focus was amazing....I guess they were prepping the public for his start in the Preakness

The don't call him "Hammered Hank" for nothing.
:p

Relwob Owner
03-28-2009, 07:08 PM
Drinks? Nah. That's just Hank being Hank. No alcohol needed.

Haven't you been lucky enough to catch him on ESPN in the past? Par for the course.

I have....there was one about four or five years ago that was just classic and stood out more than usual.....the guy interviewing James J. looked scared to death

mannyberrios
03-28-2009, 07:28 PM

Jimmy J aint the easiest person you'd want to interview...Unlike Todd, it's just not his style.

I love to tease him after he wins a big stakes race by saying something like "Well done Jimmy, this should keep you happy till say, 6 AM tomorrow?"
And we'd laugh...
He's a good guy, but not the TV type.:1:Seems like a cool guy, love his father.

point given
03-28-2009, 07:51 PM

Absolutely. this racing crew is out to lunch (at least hank !) Pletcher crying to to the track pres that he would've gone to NY if they were going to setup the track like that. He knows the place and saw speed all week there . Poor Toddy, He scratched the wrong horse. Did you see how tired Dunkirk was after the race ? He looked like he would collapse. He maybe a nice horse but he looks like he needs time to further develope to me.

DJofSD
03-28-2009, 08:00 PM
I went to the OTB today and was able to see both the track feed and ESPN. It was a bit of a surprise to see the decission by the producer. Big, big mistake as far as I am concern.

DJofSD
03-28-2009, 08:03 PM
Did you see how tired Dunkirk was after the race ? He looked like he would collapse. Yes, I did and it scared me a little bit. I was expecting another bad TV moment for a second.

Let's see how he comes out of the race.

tribecaagent
03-28-2009, 08:06 PM
Absolutely. this racing crew is out to lunch (at least hank !) Pletcher crying to to the track pres that he would've gone to NY if they were going to setup the track like that. He knows the place and saw speed all week there . Poor Toddy, He scratched the wrong horse. Did you see how tired Dunkirk was after the race ? He looked like he would collapse. He maybe a nice horse but he looks like he needs time to further develope to me.

He could've scratched and waited a week. Unless he didn't want to face a few of the others.

onefast99
03-28-2009, 08:39 PM

And we'd laugh...
He's a good guy, but not the TV type.\
I met him two years ago at the Sunshine Millions he had the horse next to us interesting fellow, brings his own little chair to sit in while they saddle up his horses.

supercap
03-28-2009, 08:57 PM

The horse ran his eyeballs off! First time in a stake , track record pace against a serious horse you might look like collasping as well. And against a bias that was shameful!

Tom
03-28-2009, 09:51 PM
The don't call him "Hammered Hank" for nothing.
:p

I'm worried for Pork Chop. :eek:

CincyHorseplayer
03-28-2009, 10:51 PM
Drinks? Nah. That's just Hank being Hank. No alcohol needed.

Hank being Hank.Manny being Manny.This being ESPN??

I think I see a pattern here!No wonder ESPN sucks.

Pace Cap'n
03-28-2009, 11:01 PM
Speaking of interviews, how about them interviewing Garrett Gomez before the race, as he was approaching the gate? Never saw that before. Seemed like a needless distraction at that point in time.

jognlope
03-28-2009, 11:22 PM
I can't get over Moss last year's comment Big Brown was better than Barbaro, uuurrrgggg.

slewis
03-29-2009, 01:21 AM
I can't get over Moss last year's comment Big Brown was better than Barbaro, uuurrrgggg.

He was better.

jognlope
03-29-2009, 08:53 AM
Ok, Slewis, you are being "provocative" as they say, going to ignore, unless you want to prove your theory, I'm all eyes.

Relwob Owner
03-29-2009, 09:08 AM
Ok, Slewis, you are being "provocative" as they say, going to ignore, unless you want to prove your theory, I'm all eyes.

In my opinion, it is a pointless argument because of the terrible thing that happened to Barbaro.....I have seen people try to start this argument before but dont see the point since it is so hard to compare the two without coming to the conclusion that if you look at it through the Derby, they were about even IMHO

slewis
03-29-2009, 09:14 AM

Im not trying to be provacative at all.

I beleve Big Brown would have been better then Barbaro had Barbaro's career continued. That's my opinion.

I thought BB's two major performances, The Florida Derby, and especially the Preakness, were exceptional. Greater then any of Barbaro's.

Same way I believe that at 1mile, the greatest horse ever was Seattle Slew.
(Maybe Dr. Fager could have caught him, maybe).

But because of his quickness out of the gate (Cordero used to say NO horse he's ever been on was quicker out of the gate), and his early speed, that no horse was better at that distance. Id even stretch that to 1mile and an eighth, but I wouldn't be as confident as at 1mile.
And you could throw any horse you'd like in... Cigar, Secretariat, Affirmed, Curlin.... you name em'.

Just my opinion.

jognlope
03-29-2009, 09:29 AM
I don't know racing enough to even disagree!!! Just though Moss could have been a little less gouche (spelling) since our sweet one had passed to a better place.

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/28/28_1_7v.gif I'm moving to Palm Springs......yes I am I am I am

OTM Al
03-29-2009, 10:54 AM

I beleve Big Brown would have been better then Barbaro had Barbaro's career continued. That's my opinion.

I thought BB's two major performances, The Florida Derby, and especially the Preakness, were exceptional. Greater then any of Barbaro's.

But because of his quickness out of the gate (Cordero used to say NO horse he's ever been on was quicker out of the gate), and his early speed, that no horse was better at that distance. Id even stretch that to 1mile and an eighth, but I wouldn't be as confident as at 1mile.
And you could throw any horse you'd like in... Cigar, Secretariat, Affirmed, Curlin.... you name em'.

Just my opinion.

I think that's a closer call than most people would make it, but I think you might be right, though my guess is that they would have been only a length or 2 apart. Of course I would rather have seen them run that theoretical race on turf.....

Relwob Owner
03-29-2009, 11:02 AM

Just my opinion.

Well, if you are going to make the argument, you have to assume that what happeneded to Barbaro diodnt happen....if that was the case, I think it is a slam dunk that Barbaro would have had a better career simply because of Big Brown's feet.....

cj
03-29-2009, 11:12 AM
I'm not sure how anyone could say Big Brown's Preakness was better than his Derby.

joanied
03-29-2009, 11:25 AM
In my opinion, it is a pointless argument because of the terrible thing that happened to Barbaro.....I have seen people try to start this argument before but dont see the point since it is so hard to compare the two without coming to the conclusion that if you look at it through the Derby, they were about even IMHO

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

slewis
03-29-2009, 01:26 PM
Well, if you are going to make the argument, you have to assume that what happeneded to Barbaro diodnt happen....if that was the case, I think it is a slam dunk that Barbaro would have had a better career simply because of Big Brown's feet.....

Well,

Rather then call it an arguement, I will again affirm that it is opinion.

Comparing athletes from various years is always more fantasy then anything else.
But, when I look at these two and say BB was the better, Im looking at their best races and trying to decide who is better then whom.
Since they will never race, it's just opinion.

When Seattle Slew whipped Affirmed, Slew was 4 and Affirmed 3, coming off a tough triple crown.. so in essence, it wasn't REALLY FAIR.

But, When I look at the BEST RACES of both horses, It is clear to me, regardless of age, etc, that Slew was the better of the two.

Using that criteria, I stick with the BB vs Barbero comparison.

slewis
03-29-2009, 01:29 PM
I'm not sure how anyone could say Big Brown's Preakness was better than his Derby.

Im saying it because the move he made in the preakness was incredible.

But again, opinion.

cj
03-29-2009, 04:43 PM
Im saying it because the move he made in the preakness was incredible.

But again, opinion.

I understand, but I think the move was a combination of one good horse and a bunch of bad ones packing it in after a mildly taxing pace for their quality.

Shemp Howard
03-29-2009, 04:50 PM

Just my opinion.

The good "Doctor" only ran behind three horses his entire racing career; a juvenile champion and two HOY Hall of Famer's. He also held 4 championships simultaneously. Can't say that about SS.

And establishing a World Record under 134 lbs for the flat mile under wraps.

sandpit
03-29-2009, 05:10 PM
The good "Doctor" only ran behind three horses his entire racing career; a juvenile champion and two HOY Hall of Famer's. He also held 4 championships simultaneously. Can't say that about SS.

These are my 2 favorite horses of all time, so for me it's like splitting hairs to say who is better. The Doctor's 1968 season was the best in the history of sport, but Slew was probably as game as any horse ever. An 8-9 furlong race between the two of them would undoubtedly yielded some of the fastest fractions ever.

slewis
03-29-2009, 06:05 PM

Point taken.....which is why I said the only horse who maybe...could have beaten him.

But I also believe (and I have enormous respect for Dr. Fager) he would not have gotten the lead from Seattle Slew out of the gate and would be running 2nd. If he could beat him, it would be in the stretch, not at the gate.

Good fantasy stuff!!

slewis
03-29-2009, 06:08 PM
I understand, but I think the move was a combination of one good horse and a bunch of bad ones packing it in after a mildly taxing pace for their quality.

Point taken.... He certainly was well above the rest of a very mediocre crop.

BUt I dont think last years was as bad as others I could remember.

Like Charismatic's wins.

Bruddah
03-29-2009, 06:20 PM

Damn, can we get an Amen Bruddah! :bang:

Pace Cap'n
03-29-2009, 07:36 PM

And, they all packed it in at the same instant.

cj
03-29-2009, 08:04 PM
That isn't what I said.

GaryG
03-29-2009, 08:19 PM
The Doctor's 1968 season was the best in the history of sport, .Check Citation's 3yo season in 1948. Dr. Fager was a fine horse though and he would have Big Brown sliced and diced by the quarter pole.

SMOO
03-30-2009, 08:10 AM
Other than Jeannie Edwards & Moss they are a pretty useless bunch.

jognlope
03-30-2009, 10:15 AM
What no kuko for Jerry Bailey, he's like the PhD of the bunch.

DJofSD
03-30-2009, 10:34 AM
I don't have it on my DVR any more but didn't Jerry pick the winner while others had Dunkirk?

SMOO
03-30-2009, 12:07 PM
What no kuko for Jerry Bailey, he's like the PhD of the bunch.
Sorry, I overlooked him (maybe my screen cut off halfway down :lol: ).

jognlope
03-30-2009, 01:08 PM
I'm really enjoying Bailey. I even like Hank....sorry. Jeanine is always great. Miss Chalsey a lot. Like a couple other guys who are immensely dapper.... hmmm. I wonder if they'll have "works" show this year, on ESPN channel in the 600s. Probably not, because it was a Breeder's Cup thing.

joanied
03-30-2009, 01:45 PM
Randy Moss is my top gun...and I also really enjoy Bailey...I think he does a great job, better than Gary Stevens, who always seems to have trouble with what he's trying to say...Hank...I can live without!!

I don't think they are having the 'Breakfast at Churchill' this year...I'm not sure we'll see any pre Derby doings like they usually have...seems the TV scheduel for Derby stuff won't be near waht it has been in past years...

Valuist
03-30-2009, 08:36 PM
Randy Moss is my top gun...and I also really enjoy Bailey...I think he does a great job, better than Gary Stevens, who always seems to have trouble with what he's trying to say...Hank...I can live without!!

I don't think they are having the 'Breakfast at Churchill' this year...I'm not sure we'll see any pre Derby doings like they usually have...seems the TV scheduel for Derby stuff won't be near waht it has been in past years...

The problem wasn't Moss or Bailey......it was the host (who've I've never seen before) who kept going on and on about Dunkirk, both before and after the race. That guy clearly doesn't follow racing and added nothing.

DJofSD
03-30-2009, 08:45 PM
Joe Tessitore I believe is the third guy you're referring to.

PaceAdvantage
03-31-2009, 01:46 AM
Joey T. has been mixing it up on ESPN horse racing telecasts for a number of years now...

samyn on the green
03-31-2009, 03:28 AM
Broadcasting races like this is a money losing operation. These broadcasts are basically paid advertising for by the NTRA (http://ntra.com/blog.aspx?blogid=15&year=2009&month=3&day=20) for the racing industry. The whole broadcast is like a hour long commercial for the juiceman machine, except with horses and exactas and not carrot juice and bushy eyebrows.

LemonSoupKid
03-31-2009, 12:43 PM
For whatever reason, Randy Moss and I always seem to be in line with picks. I don't know what it is. Bailey has been better lately; I think he's been on Quality Road (or was it Moss?) ... either way I think these two do change and morph, just like the horses do moving ahead. Moss seems to be a better handicapper and I think that is due in part to not being so into the game as the jockeys (Gary Stevens and Bailey) were ... he can look back from a viewpoint that is less "action" biased.

I liked what I saw and I would think it foolish to dump Dunkirk at this stage. Quality Road looks great but peaking early in a group of big time maturers (3yo) isn't always good. Nevertheless, he may be a superstar, but I'd be surprised.

On to the Wood and IL Derby.

point given
03-31-2009, 01:52 PM

I liked what I saw and I would think it foolish to dump Dunkirk at this stage. Quality Road looks great but peaking early in a group of big time maturers (3yo) isn't always good. Nevertheless, he may be a superstar, but I'd be surprised.

On to the Wood and IL Derby.

I like Dunkirk down the road. He has alot of talent , thats for sure, but I think he has some growing to do,to catch up with his talent. Its alot to ask of a horse and he almost pulled it off. After the gallop out , he looked like one spent horse with his head down exhausted,it looked to me. He might be better off down the road to miss the derby. and aim for a prep and the Belmont.

joanied
04-01-2009, 11:27 AM
I like Dunkirk down the road. He has alot of talent , thats for sure, but I think he has some growing to do,to catch up with his talent. Its alot to ask of a horse and he almost pulled it off. After the gallop out , he looked like one spent horse with his head down exhausted,it looked to me. He might be better off down the road to miss the derby. and aim for a prep and the Belmont.

I agree...and it'll be interesting to see what they decide to do with Dunkirk...and I was also thinking that QR may be peaking too soon...can he keep this up? He'd have to be a 'freak' to do so...

DrugS
04-01-2009, 02:26 PM
Joey T. has been mixing it up on ESPN horse racing telecasts for a number of years now...

He has a great name ... but I think boxing is far more his thing.

SMOO
04-01-2009, 02:39 PM
He has a great name ... but I think boxing is far more his thing.
Yes, he shouts too much and scares the horses.

Bring back Kenny Mayne as host, he has a great dry sense of humor.

CincyHorseplayer
04-01-2009, 02:59 PM
I agree...and it'll be interesting to see what they decide to do with Dunkirk...and I was also thinking that QR may be peaking too soon...can he keep this up? He'd have to be a 'freak' to do so...

I don't think so Joanie.This was Quality Road's first 2 turn race and after watching it a dozen or so times they clearly waited and waited and waited to let him run with apparent stretch out concerns(my guess) and the pace wasn't all that quick.In his first race he attended a rapid pace and finished well.His race looked more dramatic because of the stretch drive but they didn't even let him go except for that last 16th.I think he's got more in him and a nice 5 weeks to get up to a peak.

joanied
04-01-2009, 04:22 PM
I don't think so Joanie.This was Quality Road's first 2 turn race and after watching it a dozen or so times they clearly waited and waited and waited to let him run with apparent stretch out concerns(my guess) and the pace wasn't all that quick.In his first race he attended a rapid pace and finished well.His race looked more dramatic because of the stretch drive but they didn't even let him go except for that last 16th.I think he's got more in him and a nice 5 weeks to get up to a peak.

Good points, Cincy...made me stop and think and also watch the race again...I meant to look at his pedigree again, can't recall what his real birth date is, which sometimes makes a huge difference in a colt at this point in time (example...Pioneer won't really turn 3 until after the Derby)...but in watching just him during the race...you are correct...he wasn't really asked until Dunlirk made his presence felt...then QR just took off.

By the way...QR ain't my Derby horse:eek:
:) :) :)

CincyHorseplayer
04-01-2009, 04:35 PM
Good points, Cincy...made me stop and think and also watch the race again...I meant to look at his pedigree again, can't recall what his real birth date is, which sometimes makes a huge difference in a colt at this point in time (example...Pioneer won't really turn 3 until after the Derby)...but in watching just him during the race...you are correct...he wasn't really asked until Dunlirk made his presence felt...then QR just took off.

By the way...QR ain't my Derby horse:eek:
:) :) :)

Here's more about his breeding Joanie.Interesting stuff that flies in the face of every horseplayer snubbing QR as a miler,

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/49498/continuing-down-a-quality-road?id=49498&source=rss

BTW I don't have a Derby horse either.This whole lot is an intriguing bunch.I'm lovin it so far and less than half the preps are run.

joanied
04-01-2009, 07:18 PM
Here's more about his breeding Joanie.Interesting stuff that flies in the face of every horseplayer snubbing QR as a miler,

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/49498/continuing-down-a-quality-road?id=49498&source=rss

BTW I don't have a Derby horse either.This whole lot is an intriguing bunch.I'm lovin it so far and less than half the preps are run.

Cincy...thank you for posting the link (we farm and right now I am in and out of the house all damned day, so just don't have time to look these things up:mad: )...I see QR turned 3 last month...and there is a lot more than meets the eye within his pedigree...IMO, plenty of stamina, and with Princequillo, for one, he also may be a large heart horse.
Good food for thought in that pedigree....and anyone doubting his ability to stay, just need to look at what Smarty did and also Raven's Pass, to name just two.
Thanks.

Yeah...it's really kinda cool that we have several horses this time around that could take down the Derby...guess once it's run, the winner will automatically be 'the one'...I am really looking foward to the SA Derby (Pioneer is STILL 2 years old) and a few other preps...
right now, between me & you :D I'm rooting for either of Larry Jones' colts...I was on Old fshioned, but now like FF better...and Pioneerof the Nile...the SA Derby will clarify more for me...and I am scared of that grapefruit :faint: