PDA

View Full Version : Nice Play by MORONS

Tom
03-28-2009, 05:51 PM
So now Dunkirk doesn't make it in the Derby, but they give a free pass to some Euro-TRASH in a win and you're in race??????

What is this, the Kentucky Derby or Bowling for Dollars????

Is anyone in this game got a brain larger than a a canary?

Relwob Owner
03-28-2009, 06:21 PM
So now Dunkirk doesn't make it in the Derby, but they give a free pass to some Euro-TRASH in a win and you're in race??????

Quick answer....no....

The win and you're in deal, in allsenses is absurd.....in the Breeders Cup, one of the relatively randomly assigned races can be won by a mediocre horse and shut good ones out. What has always amazed me about horse racing management in general is that when they do get off their butts to do something or think of a creative idea, it usually blows....good point with the Dunkirk deal

Watcher
03-28-2009, 06:23 PM
Still a chance for Dunkirk to get in with the money for 2nd in Florida Derby?

Tread
03-28-2009, 06:49 PM
By far one of the most ridiculous marketing scams in the history of sport. It's the equivalent of letting a softball bush-leaguer come play in the world series.

toussaud
03-28-2009, 07:01 PM
Quick answer....no....

The win and you're in deal, in allsenses is absurd.....in the Breeders Cup, one of the relatively randomly assigned races can be won by a mediocre horse and shut good ones out. What has always amazed me about horse racing management in general is that when they do get off their butts to do something or think of a creative idea, it usually blows....good point with the Dunkirk deal

that "euro trash" has as much right to the derby as any other horse. the kentuckiy derby is not manifist destiny. it's not a god given privilage to hroses we like.

Plecther could have ran him in a softer spot. he didnt'

he could have ran him in the arknasas derby instead. he didn't

he could have ran him in a stakes race instead of an allowence race. he didn't.

if the derby was the plan, he has no one to blame but himself for not getting in.

the little guy
03-28-2009, 07:20 PM
I, too, think it's foolish, but it may be a somewhat moot point this year, as the connections of the English race winner said they plan to run him in the Blue Grass to see if he belongs in the Derby ( I know.....we already know he doesn't ).

On the other hand, Dunkirk is owned by the Coolmore people....and Shadwell owns the Euro.....so that could conceivably color their ultimate decision.

I find it interesting that the Euro gets $100K if he runs in the Derby. It feels like they added that to attempt to prevent the owners from theoretically selling their spot to the first semi-AE. The problem is, $100K pales in comparison to what someone could offer. Now, Shadwell won't sell, but someone else could. Why not?

W2G
03-28-2009, 08:06 PM
Still a chance for Dunkirk to get in with the money for 2nd in Florida Derby?

Still a chance. Not a strong chance by any measure, especially this year with the automatic Euro and possibly 2 Godolphins from Dubai.

But I imagine that Pletcher and his owners could be very "persuasive" if Dunkirk is sitting right there on the bubble during Derby week.

DJofSD
03-28-2009, 08:12 PM
I hope Dunkirk gets in. And I hope Hank bets another $100 on him.

slewis
03-28-2009, 08:24 PM
There are some interesting arguements both ways, but I'll tell you what.

Dunkirk will get in. I doubt you will need the $$$$ this yr you needed last year.

There will be injuries and some others wont go who could.

I have a bigger problem with POLY-SHIT races then I have with a euro-horse, (and I know his race was run on the carpet fiber) because that was a very competitive race.

You'll have horses qualify like in the Lane's end and Toyota BG stakes that may just be poly-shit horses.

They might kick a horse like Dunkirk out, which would be bad for racing.

There is this push to move this industry in the Poly direction, and it's already proving to be backfiring. I've asked some VERY VERY prominent trainers and the consensus is : OK to train, inconsistant to race, don't like or want.

Of course, I haven't met a SINGLE bettor that really likes it, but then, they dont factor into to the industry... they just flip the bill.

Tom
03-28-2009, 10:00 PM
that "euro trash" has as much right to the derby as any other horse. the kentuckiy derby is not manifist destiny. it's not a god given privilage to hroses we like.

No, but entry should be earned fairly - the same rules for all horses.
If the Euro trash wanted to run in the Derby, he COULD have come over here and competed with everyone else. He didn't. So screw him.

Relwob Owner
03-28-2009, 10:04 PM

Plecther could have ran him in a softer spot. he didnt'

he could have ran him in the arknasas derby instead. he didn't

he could have ran him in a stakes race instead of an allowence race. he didn't.

if the derby was the plan, he has no one to blame but himself for not getting in.

I was talking about the Win and You're In Nonsense, not Dunkirk's situation....it is the dumbest idea and doesnt make any sense, especially when used for the Derby.....they make the whole criteria about earnings and then stick in a race with an automatic entry----dumb, dumb idea

DJofSD
03-28-2009, 10:15 PM
Last year there were I believe twelve runners, with BB on the outside post. This year the field size was half of last years. What's up with that?

slewis
03-28-2009, 10:24 PM
Last year there were I believe twelve runners, with BB on the outside post. This year the field size was half of last years. What's up with that?

DJ,

Funny thing is that on another thread someone blasted Zito for running.

It's a horse race, and you never know. Some are willing to wing it, most are not.

But in a race of this magnitude, you need to "point and train" to it.

I dont think there were enough talented runners around to take a shot, especially when you have easier spots coming up.
I looked at the nominated horses and many would have been wasting their time.

I know Im playing monday morning trainer, but the way the race played out, any other horses nominated who didn't run, would have wasted their race, which now makes a shot at the Ill. Derby, Wood, Blue Grass, impossible.

The best you could hope for is the Lexington (to qualify), and those who go into that race have a bigger problem. It's too close to Derby day.

DrunkenHorseplayer
03-28-2009, 10:48 PM
The "win and you're in" concept is nothing more than an extension of the graded stakes earnings criteria. How many times has the BC Juvenile winner, the Delta Jackpot winner or the winner of a particular race for females been granted a spot even though they clearly didn't belong?

Greyfox
03-28-2009, 11:03 PM

"So now Dunkirk doesn't make it in the Derby,"....

Your keyboard typewriter is running ahead of your usual astuteness in this call.

Dunkirk is on the "bubble."
My guess is "Yes"- a contestant.

rastajenk
03-29-2009, 02:00 AM
He could go in the Lexington in three weeks; after the Derby, though, he might not go in either of the other two. What's more important, a Derby win or a competitive Triple Crown run?

OTM Al
03-29-2009, 10:46 AM
Frankly I think the winner of the race at Kempton is much more deserving that a winner of say, the Lanes End or the Delta Jackpot (or the 2nd place finisher of that one). Pretend its a $200,000 winner take all purse and now it qualifies. If it continues it may well be a G3 race in a few years anyway as the trainers over there really liked it. Also, consider at least the horse had to win the race to get in. A horse under current rules doesn't even have to win a race to get in. A couple 3rds even in the right races are good enough

Tom
03-29-2009, 12:18 PM
"So now Dunkirk doesn't make it in the Derby,"....

Your keyboard typewriter is running ahead of your usual astuteness in this call.

Dunkirk is on the "bubble."
My guess is "Yes"- a contestant.

Well, you bring up a good point about the ESPN dolts. Before the race, they kept saying Dunkirk HAD TO win. After the race, he was on the bubble.

I Hammerin' Hank is the brains of that crew. :rolleyes:

DJofSD
03-29-2009, 12:21 PM
Dear ESPN -- please bring back Kenny. At least we'll get some comic relief.

Bruddah
03-29-2009, 06:12 PM
Well, you bring up a good point about the ESPN dolts. Before the race, they kept saying Dunkirk HAD TO win. After the race, he was on the bubble.

I Hammerin' Hank is the brains of that crew. :rolleyes:

Did they take Hammerin Hanks Piggy Bank away, or did the ESPN Exec's get tired of filling it up for him, every week? Hank knows as much about picking winners, as I do brain surgery.

As a matter of fact, I would be the odds on favorite to have a live patient, after performing brain surgery, than Hank picking a winner. To think of this "Dunce" making a living on ESPN shows America is truly the Land of Opportunity. :D

Tom
03-29-2009, 06:36 PM
ESPN brought the piggy back.
And they gave him another bank. :rolleyes::D