PDA

View Full Version : Dunkirk

jognlope
03-28-2009, 05:50 PM
Didn't like that being moved over at the beginning of the race, but who knows if it made a difference. Quality Road was awesome.

joanied
03-28-2009, 08:28 PM
me too, jog...might have been a little closer at the wire...but QR showed he belongs...and what a maginficent looking horse he is....gorgeous!
But, for only his 3rd career start...Dunkirk ran a hell of a race...I hope a lesser horse defects from the Derby field, so he gets in...despite Todd P's whinny crap after the race...he knew how the track was playing...he coulda scratched.

jognlope
03-28-2009, 09:41 PM
He got shuffled over, looked like it cost him a little, but that Quality Road looked like he was more horse today. Todd isn't a complainer is he? Ya have to be downright perfect I guess...

BIG49010
03-28-2009, 10:06 PM
The outside horse at GP usually wins the duel, it takes an unbelievable horse to get headed like Quality Road did, and then draw the other horse. While watching the race I thought Velasqesz made a huge mistake, but I guess he knew he had a ton of horse.

point given
03-28-2009, 10:25 PM
me too, jog...might have been a little closer at the wire...but QR showed he belongs...and what a maginficent looking horse he is....gorgeous!
But, for only his 3rd career start...Dunkirk ran a hell of a race...I hope a lesser horse defects from the Derby field, so he gets in...despite Todd P's whinny crap after the race...he knew how the track was playing...he coulda scratched.

Yeah, wouldn't it be something if he didn't make the derby because the Brit horse got in with the "win and your in" thing ?

CincyHorseplayer
03-28-2009, 10:32 PM
Yeah, wouldn't it be something if he didn't make the derby because the Brit horse got in with the "win and your in" thing ?

If Dunkirk doesn't get into the Derby it's more because he started his racing career 63 days ago and didn't win enough.

lamboguy
03-28-2009, 11:48 PM
i thought the florida derby was a good race. that being said and done, the santa anita derby is shaping up to be quite a race. no one ever thinks that a 3 yo champion can come from california, but this year that race looks loaded.

the $64,000 question is going to be can the horse perform outside the synthetic surface?

even though last year two step salsa did not get the 3 yo award, which even though i am partial to that, he should have brought more respect. he came up big in the breeders cup and came up giant today in dubai.

i got to think julio had a big smile on his face after that race this morning. i wish him well with the pamplemoose i dealt with him in the two step salsa deal, and he was nothing but a class act. he laid the foudation on that horse and saeed bin saroor did a great job with him, and he proved he could win on a regular racing surface against good horses.

KingChas
03-29-2009, 07:35 AM
At this point,I'd have to ask,what are the odds Dunkirk will even get into the Derby. :confused:

Relwob Owner
03-29-2009, 08:02 AM
Didn't like that being moved over at the beginning of the race, but who knows if it made a difference. Quality Road was awesome.

Just watched the race again and him getting "moved over" seemed like a good move by Gomez and put him a nice clear spot to relax....if he hadnt have moved over, he would have been in between horses and in a bad spot

jognlope
03-29-2009, 08:51 AM
You're right, he was where he was due to post position, just saw his head go up and you know how sensitive under the skin these horses are.. Gomez is tops.

Relwob Owner
03-29-2009, 08:53 AM
You're right, he was where he was due to post position, just saw his head go up and you know how sensitive under the skin these horses are.. Gomez is tops.

Your post gave me an excuse to watch that amazing race again:)

sam i am
03-29-2009, 09:04 AM
I think that if Dunkirk gets in the derby (I hope he does he deserves it), he will be the favorite, every where you turn "most" people are saying that Dunkirk ran a better race than Quality Road, Dunkirk ran a great race as the favorite, the track was speed favoring (nothing new there), but I saw a horse in his 4th race dig down and hold off a very good horse "in race horse time", that is it. I liked Quality road going in and I still like quality Road Jerkens will have this horse ready for an other top performance derby day, he is the best at streaching horses out (IMO).

sam i am
03-29-2009, 09:27 AM
let me add a couple of things to my first post.

1)the main reason I think that Quality Road won is that Dunkirk ran a phenomenal race around that final turn which cost him in the stretch.

2) Come derby day If q road is too short <4-1, will look for a key elsewhere.
I will have to use him just because I think Jimmy Jerkens is the best trainer in the world bar none.

I think that if Dunkirk gets in the derby (I hope he does he deserves it), he will be the favorite, every where you turn "most" people are saying that Dunkirk ran a better race than Quality Road, Dunkirk ran a great race as the favorite, the track was speed favoring (nothing new there), but I saw a horse in his 4th race dig down and hold off a very good horse "in race horse time", that is it. I liked Quality road going in and I still like quality Road Jerkens will have this horse ready for an other top performance derby day, he is the best at streaching horses out (IMO).

jognlope
03-29-2009, 11:16 AM
They were saying on Talking Horses that Quality Road was able to weave like past Derbies of Grindstone and Monarchos, can Dunkird do that...

joanied
03-29-2009, 11:32 AM
They were saying on Talking Horses that Quality Road was able to weave like past Derbies of Grindstone and Monarchos, can Dunkird do that...

We can't know that until he faces a big field...which won't be until the Derby (IF he gets in)...he's sure big and strong enough, but will his mind be ready for such a test? A good thought, jog.

Mineshaft
03-29-2009, 11:43 AM
At this point,I'd have to ask,what are the odds Dunkirk will even get into the Derby. :confused:

He will run again before the Derby to get more earnings you can take that to the bank..

PaceAdvantage
03-30-2009, 09:44 PM
That's not what Pletcher said before the Fla Derby. Win or lose, Fla Derby would be it...if he doesn't get into the Ky Derby, then it's onto the Preakness and/or Belmont...

Relwob Owner
03-30-2009, 10:15 PM
That's not what Pletcher said before the Fla Derby. Win or lose, Fla Derby would be it...if he doesn't get into the Ky Derby, then it's onto the Preakness and/or Belmont...

Isnt that what he said afterwards as well?